HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jack Johnson

Old
01-23-2010, 05:23 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
I think at some point, JJ will be worth the wait. He's not a criminal. He's just arrogant, but it seems like he's been humbled a little.

Plus, being in a Kings locker room full of young guys equal to his abilities may not be the right fit. I can see him going to a veteran-laden team like New Jersey or San Jose and turning into a real star.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 05:25 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
but for Girardi+? That doesnt make sense to me...I know Girardi takes a ton of flack, but hes been a good teammate here and weve never had issues with him...Im not sure how that helps this team? seems, at best, a lateral move if he performs the way he has this year. and at worst a step back in the character department.

Id rather upgrade the forward position that the defense to be totally honest. I think were set defensively thanks to the youth we have in the system.
I would trade Girardi's undrafted soul for Johnson 100 times out of 100. There isnt a single guy in our organization who has JJ's combined skill.

Do you really think JJ would haver character issues with Torts running the show? Defense, yeah probably, but Torts would keep him in line.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 05:25 PM
OrbitalDynamics

vCash: 50
Gawd no, not the Debbies! He'll turn into Rod Frakkin' Langway and we'll be dealing with him for the next 14 years...

I'd move Danny G+ for JMFJ in a second.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Garfinkel1

Think of the Bobby Ryan saga. If Sather had the option of getting him we would be in great shape right now. Another top-prospect who is struggling but has a LOT of room to grow. If we have the option to do it, we should.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 05:42 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I want sound defensive guys who make Henke's good easy, finish checks, and have great first passes. Plus if they aren't afraid to shoot from the point. Plus if they can skate like Gaborik

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 06:08 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
A guy whose had major issues with carolina, and now has major issues with the kings? and really hasnt done all that much in his career...

DO NOT WANT.
If the major issue was the GM calling his alma a worthless inexperienced program that produced a worthless inexperienced player that got by on talent alone and that is only a NHL player by his good graces and guidance than that's something I can live with. How unprofessional of Lombardi. Calling out Michigan like that and it's not exactly something you can say "oh, i was misquoted" Even if he says "all things being equal" he says Red taught him ziltch.

If issues with Carolina were "oh, no I'm not ready for the NHL. I want to play a few more seasons with Red Bereson" then I am ok with that too. The story as I understand it was Carolina was like "YAY! NEW TOY! OPEN IT NOW! OPEN IT NOW!" And JJ was like "wha? but I want to go to school and hang out with my friends."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rutherford
"We've kind of gone back and forth -- do we wait for the development of Jack Johnson, and when does that take place, or do we take a player now that's a good young defenseman who's going to be good for a long time? As camp has wound down, that was the conclusion we all came to, that now was the time to do it."
They wanted him there now. JJ declined. Did he not like the team? Did he really just want to better his game? Canes won the cup that year so he must have felt pretty dumb about that decision but I doubt that has anything to do with it declining the second time.

In the end, Lombardi is saying that Johnson is coming around. He's a player I would trade for. If he is truly available.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 06:20 PM
In The Flesh

OMG I'd be giddy as a schoolgirl if we got JJ. I love this kid. Arrogance is just what we need on the blue line, he's def. got a mean streak, something we're desperate for. There was a reason he was picked for Team USA.

Girardi + in a heartbeat

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 06:23 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Johnson has been matched up against opposing top-lines for much of this season. He's become quite solid defensively, not sure what player some of you are watching.
The ain't the Johnson I've been watching this year. I was stunned when he was named to the Olympic team. He's a 4th-5th defenseman in my book.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 06:27 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
The ain't the Johnson I've been watching this year. I was stunned when he was named to the Olympic team. He's a 4th-5th defenseman in my book.
The way I see it is that it's another risk/reward kind of scenario. Should we give up Girardi (who will probably leave as a free agent otherwise) and a few decent prospects I think it would be worth the risk because there is such a high reward. Should he turn out to not blossom into this great player we have player of other young talented D-men in the minors who could take his place. I would give him a shot, and if it doesn't work out we have our back up plans.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:03 PM
NCRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
If the major issue was the GM calling his alma a worthless inexperienced program that produced a worthless inexperienced player that got by on talent alone and that is only a NHL player by his good graces and guidance than that's something I can live with. How unprofessional of Lombardi. Calling out Michigan like that and it's not exactly something you can say "oh, i was misquoted" Even if he says "all things being equal" he says Red taught him ziltch.

If issues with Carolina were "oh, no I'm not ready for the NHL. I want to play a few more seasons with Red Bereson" then I am ok with that too. The story as I understand it was Carolina was like "YAY! NEW TOY! OPEN IT NOW! OPEN IT NOW!" And JJ was like "wha? but I want to go to school and hang out with my friends."

They wanted him there now. JJ declined. Did he not like the team? Did he really just want to better his game? Canes won the cup that year so he must have felt pretty dumb about that decision but I doubt that has anything to do with it declining the second time.

In the end, Lombardi is saying that Johnson is coming around. He's a player I would trade for. If he is truly available.
There was more to it with Carolina. JJ's father got involved too. There was some "Carolina's not a hockey area" stuff thrown in coupled with typical Jim Rutherford arrogance. Basically, he didn't want to play for the Hurricanes, unless the Hurricanes were the only option (he leveraged playing a season or two at the U. of Michigan against the Hurricanes trading him.)

Now that he's been a problem somewhere else--not sure if I want to see another Aaron Ward on the Rangers.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote