HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hartford Wolf Pack Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2010, 07:14 PM
squishy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
On a different note, can we get an update on Sauer?
Sorry...

There's not a whole lot to update. Sauer's an NHL-ready defenseman. He's the Pack's best defensive-defenseman. He's getting some more power play time this year in an effort to turn him into something he is not, but it hasn't really been paying dividends offensively.

He'll be a really solid defenseman for some NHL team one day.

And you know what? He hates to fight, and his fights generally consist of him holding on for dear life and wrestling his opponent down to the ice, but there's no way in hell he would he have stood around watching while Gaborik was getting beaten by Carcillo last night.

Old
01-22-2010, 07:15 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Sorry...

There's not a whole lot to update. Sauer's an NHL-ready defenseman. He's the Pack's best defensive-defenseman. He's getting some more power play time this year in an effort to turn him into something he is not, but it hasn't really been paying dividends offensively.

And you know what? He hates to fight, and his fights generally consist of him holding on for dear life and wrestling his opponent down to the ice, but there's no way in hell he would he have stood around watching while Gaborik was getting beaten by Carcillo last night.
Thanks, as usual, Squish.

Exactly what I wanted and expected to hear. Really hope Girardi is traded at the deadline and replaced by Sauer.

Old
01-22-2010, 08:24 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Pack win it 3-2 in OT on a PP goal by Byers.

Grachev recorded an assist in the game giving him a 3 game point streak (2G/2A)

Old
01-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Would have liked to win that in regulation but I'll take it however I can get it. Hopefully Weise is alright, he went out with an injury.

Old
01-22-2010, 09:24 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Syracuse Rangers?

Quote:
Word is that the Rangers might be looking to end its affiliation with current partner Hartford. While a New York-Albany marriage might seem like a possible fit, a Rangers-Syracuse deal would also be a possibility.

Syracuse could offer more stability and a much better atmosphere for the Rangers, and Crunch owner Howard Dolgon has been known to play a round of golf or two with Rangers assistant GM Jim Schoenfeld.

Dolgon, of course, is a New York City native who grew up an avid Rangers fan and a season ticket-holder. The Rangers put a good team in Hartford every season, a consistency of effort that would appeal to Dolgon. Dolgon would absolutely go the extra mile if there was a chance to bring in New York.

All of a sudden, Dolgon's hesitance to close a new affiliation deal with Columbus after pushing so hard to get to the brink makes perfect sense.

Columbus GM Scott Howson is in town for tonight's Syracuse-Wilkes-Barre/Scranton contest. Dolgon said he spoke with him for about 5 minutes, but not about affiliation talks.
http://blog.syracuse.com/crunch/2010...d_be_felt.html

Old
01-22-2010, 09:28 PM
squishy

Parenteau also missed the game due to injury.

And you're right Jarkko, they should have had that one in regulation. Bernier's a beast. I have no idea how he didn't end up one of the stars of the game.

Byer's deflection was a beauty. Through the legs with his back to the net. Nice set-up from Crowder.

Grachev's assist was a pass from behind the net to Dupont in the right circle, who scored short side with a one-timer.

Williams got the other goal. Pinched in from the point just as a PP expired and scored on a snapper from the top of the circles after Locke won the puck behind the net.

For the record, Williams still sucks. He basically let a Monarch walk right past him in the final seconds of the game for a great scoring chance. Of course, that begs the question of why the hell Gernander would put him out there in the final seconds of a tie game to begin with...

Johnson was solid in stopping 27 shots. The Pack were clearly the better team over the first two periods, outshooting the Monarch's 28-15. Manchester poured it on in the third, and finished with a 13-5 edge in shots. Final tally was 36-29. Many of the Pack's shots came on quality scoring chances. Against a lesser goalie, the Pack would have won this one handily.

Old
01-22-2010, 09:31 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Syracuse is a 1 hour flight and a 4 hour plus drive from NYC.

Old
01-22-2010, 09:36 PM
squishy

It would royally suck for Albany to lose it's team now that they've finally got a local rival back in Glens Falls.

It would also be insanely ironic that after the River Rats played a handful of their home games in Glens Falls over the past few years to help prove there was enough interest to support a team there, Albany's the one that's left without one.

I think Syracuse would be too long a drive for me to make regular trips to see the Pack. We're doing it in a few weeks to see the Crunch play Bingo in the AHL's "Outdoor Classic", though, so I guess I'll find out for sure.

Edit to add: That said, Syracuse is a great AHL market. Kramer provides awesome coverage in his blog and for the Post-Standard that would keep Rangers fans much more in the loop with the prospects. And I never really got the feeling things were rosy between the Crunch and Columbus. So I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Old
01-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Ugh, as long as hockey is in Hartford I'll be happy. I'd miss having the Rangers affiliate here though.

Old
01-23-2010, 04:45 AM
Osminator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Syracuse is a 1 hour flight and a 4 hour plus drive from NYC.
How long is the drive from Hartford to NYC? From Bingo to NYC?

I remember years ago actually visiting Hartford to see 4 games in 5 days before taking a Greyhound bus to NYC, which took me about 2 hours (incl. a stopover which lasted 20 mins somewhere in the middle).

In the years past, I really think the Rangers didn't "use" their affiliate that much (i.e. short-term call-ups), so the close proximity wasn't used to their advantage...

Old
01-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Osminator

vCash: 50
01/23/2010 Kenny Roche (C) Hartford ADD Signed to PTO
01/23/2010 Tyler Doig (LW) Hartford ADD Signed to PTO

Roche will wear #16, Doig #18.

With Hoffman out, again, IMO, the Wolf Pack miss out on signing a heavyweight enforcer / killer to protect the boys and answer when needed...

Old
01-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Hmm Roche is a former Rangers draft pick, third round. Played 3 games for the Pack in 2006-07.

Old
01-23-2010, 01:03 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Wow, Kenny Roche....now there is a name I haven't heard in awhile. Playing well in the ECHL this season.

Old
01-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Dilettante

Wolfpack v. Springfield @ 7:30 tonight on channelsurfing.com. Hopefully they can build off finally beatin Manchester last night.

Old
01-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Sorry...

One can only hope it is for the Rangers. I hope he gets a legit shot next year, he got cut waay too early in camp this year. Whether it is Girardi's Gilroy's or Rozys spot up for grabs, hopefully he will be able to fill it well.

Old
01-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Soryal vs Taylor
Big hit by Soryal and they look at each other and the gloves come off. They hug for what seems like third seconds and finally taylor throws a weak right then Soryal throws a left. They hug some more till Soryal throws 2 very weak lefts and they fall

1-0 pack
Byers from Locke

Old
01-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Dilettante

Johnson keeping the pack in this one...

Old
01-23-2010, 09:22 PM
squishy

Freak bounce on a rim-around bounces right out front and traps Johnson behind the net, giving Springfield an empty net goal to tie things up 1-1 late in the third period. Then Williams loses Minard in OT, who walks in and scores on Johnson.

Springfield were tied for last in the league, but always play the Wolf Pack extremely hard. Pack were playing without two of three top scorers with Parenteau and Weise missing. Potter also missed his fifth game.

Early in the third Sanguinetti was hit a split second late in the neutral zone and fell backwards on his leg. He stayed down on the ice holding what looked like his knee. It didn't look good at all. The camera cut away, so I didn't see whether he got off on his own or was helped, but he didn't return to the game. Honestly, I'll be surprised if he didn't suffer a significant injury.

Unlike their big brothers, the Pack actually responded, and Nightingale immediately went after Paukovich for the hit, even though it meant an instigator and misconduct late in a 1-0 game. Williams then took an assanine slashing penalty to put the Pack down 2 men. But the Pack gutted it out, killing off the 5-on-3 despite only having three defensemen available.

Then Urquhart got in a fight, again leaving the Pack with just three defensemen for almost all of the final seven minutes of the game because there were no stoppages in play. Sauer was on the ice every other shift.

In OT Byers set Locke up for a point blank shot from the slot, but the Springfield goalie totally stoned him. Ex-Pack forward Chad Wiseman then carried the puck up ice and into the Wolf Pack zone along the left wing boards, where Heikinen rubbed him out. For some reason Williams decided to skate towards the boards, doubling up coverage on Wiseman, which left Minard wide open skating in between the circles. Wiseman hit him with a pass and he deked Johnson and put it away five-hole.

You can say the Pack should have beaten a last place team, but given the things they had going against them, I give them mad props for gutting out a point.

But maybe that's because I'm easily impressed by a team that shows some guts, since I've become accustomed to watching the Rangers play.

Old
01-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Just got home from Springy. Tough loss in that one, they played hard. Johnson was great. Offensive was severely struggling without PA and Weise, so let's hope they'll get back. I didn't even realize Sangs was hurt on the play, I was too busy watch Jared try and eff the team over with an instigating penalty.

Old
01-23-2010, 09:49 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Just got home from Springy. Tough loss in that one, they played hard. Johnson was great. Offensive was severely struggling without PA and Weise, so let's hope they'll get back. I didn't even realize Sangs was hurt on the play, I was too busy watch Jared try and eff the team over with an instigating penalty.
See, I'll take that instigator penalty any day of the week. You hit one of out top players after he's already dished the puck, you need to pay.

Williams's dumbass slashing penalty, which made it a 5-on-3, is the one that pisses me off.

Old
01-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

I don't know, I didn't really think it was that bad of a hit. But it was hard to tell the timing from my point of view, so I won't comment further. Jared didn't have to jump the guy though.

Old
01-23-2010, 10:18 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

I don't pay too much attention to the Pack day to day stats but am I right in saying that Sanguinetti has pretty much stopped scoring since he went back to Hartford?

Old
01-23-2010, 10:20 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
I don't know, I didn't really think it was that bad of a hit. But it was hard to tell the timing from my point of view, so I won't comment further. Jared didn't have to jump the guy though.
They showed the replay twice on the broadcast. The hit itself wasn't bad at all. It wasn't even particularly hard. It did come a split second late. It was the way he fell that caused the injury.

Yes, Nightingale sucks and take stupid penalties, but when you see one of your top scorers writhing around on the ice in pain and the puck nowhere nearby, I'm not going to crucify you for standing up.

Old
01-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
They showed the replay twice on the broadcast. The hit itself wasn't bad at all. It wasn't even particularly hard. It did come a split second late. It was the way he fell that caused the injury.

Yes, Nightingale sucks and take stupid penalties, but when you see one of your top scorers writhing around on the ice in pain and the puck nowhere nearby, I'm not going to crucify you for standing up.
*like* /facebook

Old
01-23-2010, 10:33 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I don't pay too much attention to the Pack day to day stats but am I right in saying that Sanguinetti has pretty much stopped scoring since he went back to Hartford?
He was brutal when he first got back, but has been playing better of late. Seems like he's started picking up some points lately too, though I didn't check to see if the stats bear that out.

Closed Thread