HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

So, what are everyone's thoughts on Emery at this point?

Old
01-23-2010, 10:16 PM
thomaszwei

vCash: 500
So, what are everyone's thoughts on Emery at this point?

I think that aside from the terrible goal he gave up today against the Hurricanes by turning the puck over, he's made some huge saves and has looked really athletic over the past couple of games. Especially today against Carolina - they could've easily rang him up for a few more.

He does tend to give up some huge rebounds, but the team's been playing a lot better in front of him to compensate for this.

I know we don't have a lot of season left to try and figure out our goaltending situation, but I think Ray's been firm enough to stick with for the rest of the season as the number one guy.

What does everyone think about resigning him next year at this point? For the most part, he's been solid and barring some sort of Cup victory, we should be able to get him at somewhat of a discount.

I know Montreal's shopping Halak, but we'd probably have to give up someone decent to have a shot at him.

thomaszwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
We'll have the full range of thoughts in April or May. Hopefully June though

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
I like him, but he needs to work on his rebound control a bit and he over commits every so often. All and all he is fine.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:45 PM
JCameron418

I like Emery. Sign him soon to a cheap multi year deal.

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:46 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Rebound control is abysmal, but he's one of the most athletic and competitive goalies we've had in a long time...which can't be overlooked. The Olympic Break will be good for him to rest up and come out hot.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Joey Mac

he has a slight case of bironsyndrome (letting in soft goals) which happens from time to time to any goaltender, but it can't happen in the second half of the season...

if he takes us in to the playoffs and on a nice playoff run i'd resign him

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:52 PM
mm6492

Needs to work on rebound control. Good teams can kill him if he doesn't control them.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:55 PM
CptCannon

He's coming off of a long break, of course he's rusty and his rebound control isn't quite what it should be, it's getting better.

But how good it'll get? That's the question.

Other than that, he's been good.. veryvery good in my opinion. 8-10mil over 4 years okey please?

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:10 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Rebound control.

But still too early.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon18 View Post
I like Emery. Sign him soon to a cheap multi year deal.
Don't think the two go hand-in-hand

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:31 PM
CantSeeColors

He seems to be slowly rounding into form since his return (I missed today's game, so that opinion is limited to what I saw up through the Rangers game). Still way too soon to really have an opinion on the guy though.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Lab Monkey

Mixture of Biron/Esche/Hextall, if he can ditch the Esche I am all about it

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:49 PM
zarley zelepukin

Like most everyone else said, he's been pretty decent. Can't expect much more right now since he's coming back from injury, and he's looked a little better each game. Hopefully he keeps getting better to the point where those rebounds are less frequent because better teams will make us pay in the playoffs.

If he does play well down the stretch/ in the playoffs, I wouldnt necessarily expect him to take a discount though. It would be nice since we gave him another shot at the NHL, but some people thought we'd get a discount with Biron too and that didn't happen. No way to tell what his thought process would be.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:52 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Can't go wrong with the Soultender in net. I was psyched when they got him and will be psyched when (if) they sign him to a longer term deal. Screw Halak. He is no better or worse than Emery. I would not trade for a goalie unless it was some one really good. Emery is doing fine and will continue to improve as he gets his groove back.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:07 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

He has looked strong in the beginning, where he made me feel there was no problem in net. Lately though he makes me nervious as hell.

Is it just me? He just seems... different. He was more technical before, using his athleticism when needed. Now though he seems to lose track of the puck more and give up some bad rebounds. He was eating pucks before and now not so much.

He just seems like a different Ray Emery at the moment. I am still trying to figure out what we do for next season. (and dont say Biron)

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:20 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Monkey View Post
Mixture of Biron/Esche/Hextall, if he can ditch the Esche I am all about it
And the Biron.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 02:11 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
And the Biron.
Yeah 'cause Biron just flat out sucked for us.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 02:33 AM
Rick Deckard

Way to early to re-sign him ... wait at least until the season is completed. If he keeps playing well and stays healthy, re-sign him, if not, Harding, Lehtonen, Pavelec, Halak and Schneider are RFAs, Ellis, Mason, Rinne, Hiller, Nabokov and Turco are UFAs ... some of them will be available and affordable during the summer, we've seen what happend to Birons value...

Last edited by Rick Deckard: 01-24-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 03:14 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
Way to early to re-sign him ... wait at least until the season is completed. If he keeps playing well and stays healthy, re-sign him, if not, Harding, Lehtonen, Pavelec, Halak and Schneider are RFAs, Ellis, Mason, Rinne, Hiller, Nabokov and Turco are UFAs ... some of them will be available and affordable during the summer, we've seen what happend to Birons value...
Rinne will most certainly be re-signed by Nashville at the end of the year. Chris Mason has been mediocre in St. Louis and Hiller will be tendered in Anaheim. That leaves Ellis, Nabokov and Turco. Turco is looking his age as of late. Let Montreal or some other team take a chance on him. Nabokov is going to demand big bucks for great regular season performances, but he's shown to be one of the premier playoff chokers during his time. That leaves Ellis, who might just end up being a steal. He can probably be had for cheap and he's having a great rebound year in Nashville. He'd be my choice if the Flyers decided to replace Emery.

With that being said, I'd prefer they keep Emery because when healthy, Emery has been stellar. I know the big thing right now is rebound control, but that's something the goaltending coach should be addressing. The fact that the Flyers have gone through goaltender after goaltender after goaltender and rebound control has been the main issue with all these goaltenders should be a red light that the organization's goaltending coaches don't feel that it's an issue. The other issue with Emery is keeping him focused on playing a technical game. When he does, he limits the rebounds and he plays under control. The moment that he gets into his athletic mode and stops playing a technical game, he becomes sloppy. However, coming off the stomach injury/operation, maybe it's good that he gets the athletic game going to ensure that he is healthy and then when it's time, he gets back to playing a technical game.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 04:53 AM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
Yeah 'cause Biron just flat out sucked for us.
And Esche did too?

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 07:30 AM
uvegotafrendinpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
I like him, but he needs to work on his rebound control a bit and he over commits every so often. All and all he is fine.
This. Yeah against the Rangers and Hurricanes the rebounds are okay because they don't have the same net presence as say a competent team like the Sharks. Heatley was always in front ready to slam the puck home. Thats how they killed us earlier in the year. If we want to succeed against the teams with decent wings then he needs to swallow more of those rebounds. The defense bailed him out plenty times of late...

uvegotafrendinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Jester

As expected.

Mediocre.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:44 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I like him, but he is the kind of goalie who needs a strong D in front of him(which we do) His athleticism is great, his rebound control is poor.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:48 AM
thomaszwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Rinne will most certainly be re-signed by Nashville at the end of the year. Chris Mason has been mediocre in St. Louis and Hiller will be tendered in Anaheim. That leaves Ellis, Nabokov and Turco. Turco is looking his age as of late. Let Montreal or some other team take a chance on him. Nabokov is going to demand big bucks for great regular season performances, but he's shown to be one of the premier playoff chokers during his time. That leaves Ellis, who might just end up being a steal. He can probably be had for cheap and he's having a great rebound year in Nashville. He'd be my choice if the Flyers decided to replace Emery.

With that being said, I'd prefer they keep Emery because when healthy, Emery has been stellar. I know the big thing right now is rebound control, but that's something the goaltending coach should be addressing. The fact that the Flyers have gone through goaltender after goaltender after goaltender and rebound control has been the main issue with all these goaltenders should be a red light that the organization's goaltending coaches don't feel that it's an issue. The other issue with Emery is keeping him focused on playing a technical game. When he does, he limits the rebounds and he plays under control. The moment that he gets into his athletic mode and stops playing a technical game, he becomes sloppy. However, coming off the stomach injury/operation, maybe it's good that he gets the athletic game going to ensure that he is healthy and then when it's time, he gets back to playing a technical game.
I'm pretty sure the Flyers have had the same goaltending coach for years now. I don't know his name off the top of my head, though. I remember reading an article about it on ESPN about a year back.

I think the problem with Nabakov is that the Sharks play him a ton of games during the regular season and he's got nothing left in the tank for the playoffs. He's not exactly the youngest goaltender out there and when you're playing 72 games a season, it probably doesn't bode well for as far as making a long playoff run goes. That being said, I think the Devils are pretty much setting themselves up for this kind of failure with Brodeur, especially since Canada's going to go far in the Olympics and I wouldn't be surprised if he started every game.

All things aside, I'd be happy if the Flyers were able to lock Emery up for another couple of years or so. Is he an RFA at the end of the year?

thomaszwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaszwei View Post
I'm pretty sure the Flyers have had the same goaltending coach for years now. I don't know his name off the top of my head, though. I remember reading an article about it on ESPN about a year back.
They brought in a new guy this year. Reese, who used to be with TB.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote