HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

So, what are everyone's thoughts on Emery at this point?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2010, 10:16 PM
  #1
thomaszwei
 
thomaszwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Summit Station, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
So, what are everyone's thoughts on Emery at this point?

I think that aside from the terrible goal he gave up today against the Hurricanes by turning the puck over, he's made some huge saves and has looked really athletic over the past couple of games. Especially today against Carolina - they could've easily rang him up for a few more.

He does tend to give up some huge rebounds, but the team's been playing a lot better in front of him to compensate for this.

I know we don't have a lot of season left to try and figure out our goaltending situation, but I think Ray's been firm enough to stick with for the rest of the season as the number one guy.

What does everyone think about resigning him next year at this point? For the most part, he's been solid and barring some sort of Cup victory, we should be able to get him at somewhat of a discount.

I know Montreal's shopping Halak, but we'd probably have to give up someone decent to have a shot at him.

thomaszwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:22 PM
  #2
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,247
vCash: 5775
We'll have the full range of thoughts in April or May. Hopefully June though

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:30 PM
  #3
Jaydepps
Registered User
 
Jaydepps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Greenfield, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,393
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
I like him, but he needs to work on his rebound control a bit and he over commits every so often. All and all he is fine.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:45 PM
  #4
JCameron418
Registered User
 
JCameron418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,448
vCash: 500
I like Emery. Sign him soon to a cheap multi year deal.

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:46 PM
  #5
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,516
vCash: 500
Rebound control is abysmal, but he's one of the most athletic and competitive goalies we've had in a long time...which can't be overlooked. The Olympic Break will be good for him to rest up and come out hot.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:52 PM
  #6
Joey Mac
Registered User
 
Joey Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,007
vCash: 500
he has a slight case of bironsyndrome (letting in soft goals) which happens from time to time to any goaltender, but it can't happen in the second half of the season...

if he takes us in to the playoffs and on a nice playoff run i'd resign him

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:52 PM
  #7
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Needs to work on rebound control. Good teams can kill him if he doesn't control them.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:55 PM
  #8
CptCannon
Registered User
 
CptCannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 500
He's coming off of a long break, of course he's rusty and his rebound control isn't quite what it should be, it's getting better.

But how good it'll get? That's the question.


Other than that, he's been good.. veryvery good in my opinion. 8-10mil over 4 years okey please?

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:10 PM
  #9
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Rebound control.

But still too early.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:14 PM
  #10
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,247
vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon18 View Post
I like Emery. Sign him soon to a cheap multi year deal.
Don't think the two go hand-in-hand

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:31 PM
  #11
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
He seems to be slowly rounding into form since his return (I missed today's game, so that opinion is limited to what I saw up through the Rangers game). Still way too soon to really have an opinion on the guy though.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:36 PM
  #12
Lab Monkey
Registered User
 
Lab Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
Mixture of Biron/Esche/Hextall, if he can ditch the Esche I am all about it

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:49 PM
  #13
zarley zelepukin
Registered User
 
zarley zelepukin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Norristown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,581
vCash: 500
Like most everyone else said, he's been pretty decent. Can't expect much more right now since he's coming back from injury, and he's looked a little better each game. Hopefully he keeps getting better to the point where those rebounds are less frequent because better teams will make us pay in the playoffs.

If he does play well down the stretch/ in the playoffs, I wouldnt necessarily expect him to take a discount though. It would be nice since we gave him another shot at the NHL, but some people thought we'd get a discount with Biron too and that didn't happen. No way to tell what his thought process would be.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:52 PM
  #14
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,203
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Can't go wrong with the Soultender in net. I was psyched when they got him and will be psyched when (if) they sign him to a longer term deal. Screw Halak. He is no better or worse than Emery. I would not trade for a goalie unless it was some one really good. Emery is doing fine and will continue to improve as he gets his groove back.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:07 AM
  #15
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,288
vCash: 500
He has looked strong in the beginning, where he made me feel there was no problem in net. Lately though he makes me nervious as hell.

Is it just me? He just seems... different. He was more technical before, using his athleticism when needed. Now though he seems to lose track of the puck more and give up some bad rebounds. He was eating pucks before and now not so much.

He just seems like a different Ray Emery at the moment. I am still trying to figure out what we do for next season. (and dont say Biron)

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:20 AM
  #16
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Monkey View Post
Mixture of Biron/Esche/Hextall, if he can ditch the Esche I am all about it
And the Biron.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 02:11 AM
  #17
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity
 
ChumpyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Country: Sami
Posts: 2,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
And the Biron.
Yeah 'cause Biron just flat out sucked for us.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 02:33 AM
  #18
Rick Deckard
Registered User
 
Rick Deckard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 500
Way to early to re-sign him ... wait at least until the season is completed. If he keeps playing well and stays healthy, re-sign him, if not, Harding, Lehtonen, Pavelec, Halak and Schneider are RFAs, Ellis, Mason, Rinne, Hiller, Nabokov and Turco are UFAs ... some of them will be available and affordable during the summer, we've seen what happend to Birons value...


Last edited by Rick Deckard: 01-24-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 03:14 AM
  #19
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
Way to early to re-sign him ... wait at least until the season is completed. If he keeps playing well and stays healthy, re-sign him, if not, Harding, Lehtonen, Pavelec, Halak and Schneider are RFAs, Ellis, Mason, Rinne, Hiller, Nabokov and Turco are UFAs ... some of them will be available and affordable during the summer, we've seen what happend to Birons value...
Rinne will most certainly be re-signed by Nashville at the end of the year. Chris Mason has been mediocre in St. Louis and Hiller will be tendered in Anaheim. That leaves Ellis, Nabokov and Turco. Turco is looking his age as of late. Let Montreal or some other team take a chance on him. Nabokov is going to demand big bucks for great regular season performances, but he's shown to be one of the premier playoff chokers during his time. That leaves Ellis, who might just end up being a steal. He can probably be had for cheap and he's having a great rebound year in Nashville. He'd be my choice if the Flyers decided to replace Emery.

With that being said, I'd prefer they keep Emery because when healthy, Emery has been stellar. I know the big thing right now is rebound control, but that's something the goaltending coach should be addressing. The fact that the Flyers have gone through goaltender after goaltender after goaltender and rebound control has been the main issue with all these goaltenders should be a red light that the organization's goaltending coaches don't feel that it's an issue. The other issue with Emery is keeping him focused on playing a technical game. When he does, he limits the rebounds and he plays under control. The moment that he gets into his athletic mode and stops playing a technical game, he becomes sloppy. However, coming off the stomach injury/operation, maybe it's good that he gets the athletic game going to ensure that he is healthy and then when it's time, he gets back to playing a technical game.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 04:53 AM
  #20
markzab
Registered User
 
markzab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA.
Country: United States
Posts: 4,359
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
Yeah 'cause Biron just flat out sucked for us.
And Esche did too?

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 07:30 AM
  #21
uvegotafrendinpa
Registered User
 
uvegotafrendinpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: the mu
Country: United States
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
I like him, but he needs to work on his rebound control a bit and he over commits every so often. All and all he is fine.
This. Yeah against the Rangers and Hurricanes the rebounds are okay because they don't have the same net presence as say a competent team like the Sharks. Heatley was always in front ready to slam the puck home. Thats how they killed us earlier in the year. If we want to succeed against the teams with decent wings then he needs to swallow more of those rebounds. The defense bailed him out plenty times of late...

uvegotafrendinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:33 AM
  #22
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
As expected.

Mediocre.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:44 AM
  #23
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I like him, but he is the kind of goalie who needs a strong D in front of him(which we do) His athleticism is great, his rebound control is poor.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:48 AM
  #24
thomaszwei
 
thomaszwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Summit Station, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Rinne will most certainly be re-signed by Nashville at the end of the year. Chris Mason has been mediocre in St. Louis and Hiller will be tendered in Anaheim. That leaves Ellis, Nabokov and Turco. Turco is looking his age as of late. Let Montreal or some other team take a chance on him. Nabokov is going to demand big bucks for great regular season performances, but he's shown to be one of the premier playoff chokers during his time. That leaves Ellis, who might just end up being a steal. He can probably be had for cheap and he's having a great rebound year in Nashville. He'd be my choice if the Flyers decided to replace Emery.

With that being said, I'd prefer they keep Emery because when healthy, Emery has been stellar. I know the big thing right now is rebound control, but that's something the goaltending coach should be addressing. The fact that the Flyers have gone through goaltender after goaltender after goaltender and rebound control has been the main issue with all these goaltenders should be a red light that the organization's goaltending coaches don't feel that it's an issue. The other issue with Emery is keeping him focused on playing a technical game. When he does, he limits the rebounds and he plays under control. The moment that he gets into his athletic mode and stops playing a technical game, he becomes sloppy. However, coming off the stomach injury/operation, maybe it's good that he gets the athletic game going to ensure that he is healthy and then when it's time, he gets back to playing a technical game.
I'm pretty sure the Flyers have had the same goaltending coach for years now. I don't know his name off the top of my head, though. I remember reading an article about it on ESPN about a year back.

I think the problem with Nabakov is that the Sharks play him a ton of games during the regular season and he's got nothing left in the tank for the playoffs. He's not exactly the youngest goaltender out there and when you're playing 72 games a season, it probably doesn't bode well for as far as making a long playoff run goes. That being said, I think the Devils are pretty much setting themselves up for this kind of failure with Brodeur, especially since Canada's going to go far in the Olympics and I wouldn't be surprised if he started every game.

All things aside, I'd be happy if the Flyers were able to lock Emery up for another couple of years or so. Is he an RFA at the end of the year?

thomaszwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:50 AM
  #25
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaszwei View Post
I'm pretty sure the Flyers have had the same goaltending coach for years now. I don't know his name off the top of my head, though. I remember reading an article about it on ESPN about a year back.
They brought in a new guy this year. Reese, who used to be with TB.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.