HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Make a Brewer To The Flyers Proposal

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2005, 01:12 PM
  #101
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
When exactly has Hanzdus every show even a hint of being a 80 point center or even a 60 - 70 point center. A solid two way guy, certainly. But, he is nowhere near the level you are suggesting.

I also seriously doubt that the Oil would be willing to move core young players like Torres for expensive and overpaid guys like McCabe, or impending UFAs like Aucoin. Janne N. is not available (because he is the only Islander dman on a multiyear contract right now). There is absolutely no way that San Jose is going to move Stuart.

There is not one aspect of your post that is at all feasable.
Agree here 110%

__________________
http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160 - the Unofficial HF Political board
thome_26 is offline  
Old
01-06-2005, 02:02 PM
  #102
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,091
vCash: 500
You think a center that got 58 points last season could not be a 60-70 point guy in a more offensively-oriented system?

mercury is offline  
Old
01-06-2005, 03:38 PM
  #103
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
When exactly has Hanzdus every show even a hint of being a 80 point center or even a 60 - 70 point center. A solid two way guy, certainly. But, he is nowhere near the level you are suggesting.
I agree that Handzus will never be an 80 point guy, but I don't think that 65 points is unreasonable, depending on the team he's playing for.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
01-06-2005, 05:01 PM
  #104
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
65 is certainly reasonable - him being a point/game player though and scoring 80 is a bit of an unrealistic hope IMO. I could see him having a career year season with like 70 points though.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
01-06-2005, 10:54 PM
  #105
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
When exactly has Hanzdus every show even a hint of being a 80 point center or even a 60 - 70 point center. A solid two way guy, certainly. But, he is nowhere near the level you are suggesting.

I also seriously doubt that the Oil would be willing to move core young players like Torres for expensive and overpaid guys like McCabe, or impending UFAs like Aucoin. Janne N. is not available (because he is the only Islander dman on a multiyear contract right now). There is absolutely no way that San Jose is going to move Stuart.

There is not one aspect of your post that is at all feasable.
Fair enough, to each his own, but I do think he could score 80 given the chance to be a number one C in Edmonton. I might be the only one, but hey, I really see a lot more offense than he's given credit for when he plays. He reads the ice incredibly well, you can see it in his defensive game, if he switched his focus Ron Artest style I could definetaly see him upping his points significantly, he's only 27 after all, just hitting his prime, but hey JMO.

And just spitballin on the defensemen, other ideas are certainly welcome.

kruezer is offline  
Old
01-07-2005, 03:03 AM
  #106
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Fair enough, to each his own, but I do think he could score 80 given the chance to be a number one C in Edmonton. I might be the only one, but hey, I really see a lot more offense than he's given credit for when he plays. He reads the ice incredibly well, you can see it in his defensive game, if he switched his focus Ron Artest style I could definetaly see him upping his points significantly, he's only 27 after all, just hitting his prime, but hey JMO.

And just spitballin on the defensemen, other ideas are certainly welcome.
After reading up on Handzus statistically, things look even better. Stats are a fickle friend, but what the guy did last year was very impressive. He led Philly forwards (other than late pick up Zhamnov) in ice time with 18:43 a game. He recorded an impressive 22 powerplay points despite playing just 211 PP minutes over the year or 2:23 a game, adding to that, he also was the key forward penalty killer for Philly, playing more PK time than Keith Primeau. He also was a solid +18, obviously he is someone you want on during ES.

Edmonton would do very well to pick him up I think, they have a PP that struggled greatly last year, and Handzus brings in an impressive PP scoring rate of 1 point per 9 minutes of PP time, put him on Edmonton's top unit with Smyth and he could play 3:30ish a game, basically a minute more a game, obviously he has more offensive weapons in Philly, but playing with Smyth on the PP is nothing to sneeze at, I could see Handzus improving 8 to 10 points on the powerplay alone in that situation, then he's sitting at 66 to 68 total points, and supposing he has an overall improvement in scoring of just 10 more points at ES and even including PKing, that would give him 75-80 points. I don't think that is unreasonable at all. Not too mention what he could do for Edmonton's horrid PK.

But stats are always a sketchy way of looking at things.

kruezer is offline  
Old
01-07-2005, 11:46 AM
  #107
oilers_guy_eddie
Registered User
 
oilers_guy_eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Intolerable climate
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 10,677
vCash: 500
When will we have hockey next? Handzus turns 28 in March. If there's a 2005-2006 season, Handzus will be 29 before the end of that season. What's the new UFA age going to be? The Oilers could wind up trading one of their best chips for a guy who'll be a UFA after just a season or two in Oiler gear.

Why get older? It's not like the Oilers are just a piece away from being a contender.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline  
Old
01-07-2005, 02:26 PM
  #108
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
When will we have hockey next? Handzus turns 28 in March. If there's a 2005-2006 season, Handzus will be 29 before the end of that season. What's the new UFA age going to be? The Oilers could wind up trading one of their best chips for a guy who'll be a UFA after just a season or two in Oiler gear.

Why get older? It's not like the Oilers are just a piece away from being a contender.
Thats definetaly a good point OGE, what happens with the lockout definetaly affects everything.

kruezer is offline  
Old
01-08-2005, 04:49 PM
  #109
RiversQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
After reading up on Handzus statistically, things look even better. Stats are a fickle friend, but what the guy did last year was very impressive. He led Philly forwards (other than late pick up Zhamnov) in ice time with 18:43 a game. He recorded an impressive 22 powerplay points despite playing just 211 PP minutes over the year or 2:23 a game, adding to that, he also was the key forward penalty killer for Philly, playing more PK time than Keith Primeau. He also was a solid +18, obviously he is someone you want on during ES.

Edmonton would do very well to pick him up I think, they have a PP that struggled greatly last year, and Handzus brings in an impressive PP scoring rate of 1 point per 9 minutes of PP time, put him on Edmonton's top unit with Smyth and he could play 3:30ish a game, basically a minute more a game, obviously he has more offensive weapons in Philly, but playing with Smyth on the PP is nothing to sneeze at, I could see Handzus improving 8 to 10 points on the powerplay alone in that situation, then he's sitting at 66 to 68 total points, and supposing he has an overall improvement in scoring of just 10 more points at ES and even including PKing, that would give him 75-80 points. I don't think that is unreasonable at all. Not too mention what he could do for Edmonton's horrid PK.

But stats are always a sketchy way of looking at things.
Edmonton has plenty of PK personnel. The horrid PK was largely a manifestation of poor goaltending.

RiversQ is offline  
Old
01-09-2005, 12:11 AM
  #110
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversQ
Edmonton has plenty of PK personnel. The horrid PK was largely a manifestation of poor goaltending.
Good point, Salo wasn't the bomb last year, but if they don't need 'Zus on the penalty kill, all the more reason to give him more offensive time.


Last edited by kruezer: 01-09-2005 at 12:20 AM.
kruezer is offline  
Old
01-09-2005, 12:16 AM
  #111
RiversQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Good point, Salo wasn't the bomb last year, but if they don't need 'Zus on the powerplay, all the more reason to give him more offensive time.
Nope, I agree. Handzus certainly couldn't hurt the PP or PK, but my point was that he wouldn't help the PK all that much because the skaters were not the problem. Handzus is a great fit for the Oilers because he's so stout at ES, IMO. I like him as the centrepiece in a Brewer deal but I'm not a big Seidenberg fan. The Oilers could do better signing a UFA as Brewer's replacement.

RiversQ is offline  
Old
01-09-2005, 12:19 AM
  #112
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversQ
Nope, I agree. Handzus certainly couldn't hurt the PP or PK, but my point was that he wouldn't help the PK all that much because the skaters were not the problem. Handzus is a great fit for the Oilers because he's so stout at ES, IMO. I like him as the centrepiece in a Brewer deal but I'm not a big Seidenberg fan. The Oilers could do better signing a UFA as Brewer's replacement.
Fair enough, yeah the thing I like most about him is his play at ES, especially with MacT at the helm, Handzus would get his PT cut if he wasn't, since MacT doesn't appear to like to play PP specialists, he wants a player who can play at all times, and 'Zus is really that.

kruezer is offline  
Old
01-09-2005, 07:20 PM
  #113
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 36,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I agree that Handzus will never be an 80 point guy, but I don't think that 65 points is unreasonable, depending on the team he's playing for.
Would I be shocked if he scored 65? Nope. He is a talented player, no doubt. But, I really don't think it is very likely and I think that 80 is out of reach (especially in today's NHL).

But, one never knows....

Darth Milbury is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.