HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Too much for roller hockey?

Old
01-21-2010, 12:26 PM
DJ Kariyaaa

vCash: 500
Too much for roller hockey?

My friends and I play roller/street hockey somewhat competitively in our town. Several teams of 5 are formed every week and we play on 2 separate "rinks" in the same complex to compensate for numbers.

There is no sign up, no payments, no championships, and no real organization. We play mostly for pride and for fun.

My friends and I are contimplating purchasing legitimate equipment for roller.. specifically helmets with visors.

Are we taking this far too seriously? Please help.

DJK

DJ Kariyaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:29 PM
FloPoErich

I don't think so. If you guys are having fun then why not. That's what Hockey should be all about!

FloPoErich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:44 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloPoErich View Post
I don't think so. If you guys are having fun then why not. That's what Hockey should be all about!
agreed. If you have the money to spend y not? Hockey needs to be played by more and more people IMO. There should be like town free roller hockey tournaments and stuff. Would really help the sport.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:59 PM
DJ Kariyaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
agreed. If you have the money to spend y not? Hockey needs to be played by more and more people IMO. There should be like town free roller hockey tournaments and stuff. Would really help the sport.
I agree completely.

And yeah I wasn't too good in my description. We have started to organize tourneys and such in our area, and have had success. It's just a good time. We've gone from a small group of around 6-8 to over 20 this past weekend. Anyway back on to the topic..

I just don't want to look like a bender or anything.. i mean sure its roller but we do take it pretty seriously.

Old
01-21-2010, 02:21 PM
doobie604

even for pickups you should get the protection. might not happen very often, but if you get a stick to the eye or puck to your mouth, it's going to be a life changing experience. i'm a little surprised the rink doesn't force you guys to have all the equipment.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Gino 14

At the very least you should have helmets, and don't worry about how others look at it, it's for your own safety.

We play some during the summer and always wear helmets. After one of our games, we were standing around shooting the crap, no one wearing a helmet because we were all just talking. My buddy backed up a bit and caught a stick laying on the concrete behind him and went down hard and smacked his head. Instant concussion and days of puking and headaches. So you decide, is it really worth not being percieved as a bender to take a chance on that?

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 03:31 PM
DJ Kariyaaa

im sorry to hear about your friend.. a few of my own have struggled with head injuries also, which is why we started to consider buying at least helmets. none of us have experienced anything as awful as that though. sticks in the face, shots to the face, and falls are common for my boys though.

my only concern is that if i use my helmet for also playing on concrete, which we sometimes do, would the visor become scratched or even break if it were to come in contact with the street?

Old
01-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kariyaaa View Post
im sorry to hear about your friend.. a few of my own have struggled with head injuries also, which is why we started to consider buying at least helmets. none of us have experienced anything as awful as that though. sticks in the face, shots to the face, and falls are common for my boys though.

my only concern is that if i use my helmet for also playing on concrete, which we sometimes do, would the visor become scratched or even break if it were to come in contact with the street?
If your visor came into contact with the street, the scratches on it would probably be the least of your concerns. Scraping the rest of your face/teeth off of the concrete would probably be your biggest concern after a faceplant.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 04:13 PM
DJ Kariyaaa

haha very true. i've never bought a visor or even wore one so i thought i'd ask

Old
01-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kariyaaa View Post
haha very true. i've never bought a visor or even wore one so i thought i'd ask
I wear a cage for ice so Im not an authority on visors but they generally seem to last a while if you keep the helmet/visor in a protective bag so your gear doesnt scratch it up.

Errant pucks/high sticks will scratch it up but maybe some guys in here know which visors dont scratch easy?

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Badger36

IMO, helmets would be a good idea. As far as whether or not its wise to spend money on, theres a lot worse things you could be blowing money on than hockey stuff.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 05:07 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
You're having fun and you can afford it. Go for it. There's much worse ways to spend your money. Great way to exercise and sounds like a great community activity for people to get out and shoot the puck/ball around. Heck, if I was nearby I'd come join ya.

Personal anecdote, I started playing with a small rec roller group. Typically 5/6 a side, we play every Sunday afternoon except for bad weather. It was a great way to get into playing hockey and led into me now playing twice a week league ice hockey. I still play with the group cause it's fun and made alot of great friends. We've got nets, simple portable low boards, and even ordered custom jerseys.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 05:47 PM
pfloyd75

This sounds a lot like the group of guys that I started playing with. It went from two of us to six and eventually we had almost 20 guys coming out to pickup games. A large number of us now play in local ice leagues with/against each other.

When we first started it was pretty much skates and sticks followed quickly by shin pads and gloves and eventually helmets. I'd reccomend at least that much for playing pickup roller. A cage might be a good idea too.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 05:57 PM
DJ Kariyaaa

thanks to everyone who posted so far.. its awesome to see that many of you started out with a small group of friends just like mine and it turned into something bigger and better

Old
01-22-2010, 12:48 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

I have a group of guys that I play roller hockey with every week. We usually play in the tennis courts and it's just for fun but we've all really improved.

As far as equip goes I would recommend going in this order: gloves, cup, shinguards, helmet. Most of the pads we've picked up are from garage sales, thrift stores, and classifieds. You can really save $ if you don't mind using secondhand stuff

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:05 AM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

I have played inline hockey for 8 years, mostly just rec leagues and pick up and some traveling teams. Even when I play the adult league pick up twice a week I wear shin pads, gloves, elbow pads, and a girdle. The helmet doesn't seem as important to me as gloves and shin pads. I hate it when people come out to play and don't wear any equipment and then whine at you for hurting them(rant over) but even if you are just playing with friends I would wear gloves and shin pads...and prolly hockey pants also.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 04:46 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Helmets are the only manditory equip we have. But gloves, knee pads, elbow pads are highly recommended (in that order). The group is meant for beginners, otherwise the helmet rule would probably be more lax. A few people use visors/cages. To reduce risks, it's a penalty for lifting the ball.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 05:26 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

IMO, a visor is too much. Just go with a cage. More protection, way cheaper, more durable, and more common.

However, you should def wear all other gear. I always wear a girdle when playing roller hockey. But go on the cheap side. Stuff doesn't last as long when you play outside with it.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave View Post
I wear shin pads, gloves, elbow pads, and a girdle. The helmet doesn't seem as important to me as gloves and shin pads.
You need to protect your hands so you can carry your drool bucket later in life.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:48 PM
ahabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
You need to protect your hands so you can carry your drool bucket later in life.

I've personally never fallen so that I've hit my head, but I wear a helmet anyway, because **** really does happen.

ahabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:22 AM
DJ Kariyaaa

i have made a habit of wearing lacrosse gloves while i play also, because they offer more flex than hockey gloves but still give the protection i need.

and yes, i will need to carry my drool bucket around so my hands are important

still thinking about a visor though.. the face cage just seems like it would get in the way too much

Old
01-24-2010, 01:49 PM
DJ Kariyaaa

played roller outside yesterday.. a perfect day for hockey.. sunny and 52 in Pittsburgh.. unheard of for January.

turns out i got laid out by a body check, hit my head off of a post in a chain link fence, and now have 4 staples in the top/back of my head.. call it karma? irony? or coincidence?

regardless, should have gone out and got a helmet. go get helmets boys.. theres no down side

Old
01-24-2010, 02:29 PM
jbennardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave View Post
I hate it when people come out to play and don't wear any equipment and then whine at you for hurting them(rant over) but even if you are just playing with friends I would wear gloves and shin pads...and prolly hockey pants also.
Couldn't agree more. I don't aim for people's shins, I just shoot. Same thing with fore/back checking.. I just poke and sometimes get skin and bone. Oh well.

jbennardo is offline   Reply With Quote