HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#50: Hurricanes @ Flyers - January 23, 2010 - 1:00 PM (ET)

Old
01-24-2010, 11:24 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I think it's too early to worry about who we'd play in the 1st round, but please don't be Buffalo. I'm tired of playing Buffalo every year. Of the top 4, I think I'd rather have the Devils.
I'd rather play the Devils too. But 2nd I'd want to play the Sabres. No way do I want to be booted again by the Pens in the first round.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Neither do our opponents. However, I agree that Gagne and Richards need to step it up. They aren't creating opportunities for each other, even with Giroux on the same line they couldn't cash in. I feel like Gagne still has a lot of juice left and he's going to break out of this slump soon and start contributing, because I can't really put my finger on some specific problem. It's almost like players have been improving one by one, maybe Lavi is getting to Gagne now.
Well, lets be clear about something.

1st line: 34/154 goals (with two players that have missed significant time)
2nd line: 49/154 goals
3rd line: 27/154 goals
4th line: 15/154 goals

That's healthy scoring distribution. I think Gagne's hands are just behind the curve at the moment, and eventually they'll catch up.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Richards has been struggling ever since that slump though, before Gagne came back from injury. They're both playing below their abilities. Right now having our fourth line potting goals seemingly every game is helping our cause a lot. I just don't like the idea of having our fourth line being a pivotal part of our offense.

I just think a team need four legitimate lines to win a Cup and I think that if they don't, they need two really good scoring lines. Our current top line is anemic. I just don't see our chances being great with an anemic top line. Just worries me is all.
This game against Pittsburgh is almost exactly what I was talking about. Carter got a goal. The third line can't be relied on as a consistent threat, nor can the fourth line. They were both held pointless today. Although Richards did get a disallowed goal, him and the rest of his line were just plain ineffective offensively.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Jester

Quote:
This game against Pittsburgh is almost exactly what I was talking about. Carter got a goal. The third line can't be relied on as a consistent threat, nor can the fourth line. They were both held pointless today. Although Richards did get a disallowed goal, him and the rest of his line were just plain ineffective offensively.
We are 6th in the NHL in scoring despite going about a month without the ability to score more than 2 goals a game. Scoring is not an issue with this club. You're going to have days like today. There was little flow because of all the special teams, and our PP was not feeling it today. Happens.

Old
01-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
We are 6th in the NHL in scoring despite going about a month without the ability to score more than 2 goals a game. Scoring is not an issue with this club. You're going to have days like today. There was little flow because of all the special teams, and our PP was not feeling it today. Happens.
I'm not saying we can't score. I'm saying that our top line (namely Gagne and arguably Richards) could come back to bite us in the but come playoff time. There's a big difference between the two.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Jester

Quote:
I'm not saying we can't score. I'm saying that our top line (namely Gagne and arguably Richards) could come back to bite us in the but come playoff time. There's a big difference between the two.
Well, Richards is on pace for another 30 goal campaign...and Gagne is definitely a bit out of it right now, but I think the doomsday talk is a bit much given how derailed his season (from start to now) has been by injuries. Olympic break is likely going to do wonders for him physically.

Stressing about the scoring production from this team right now isn't really merited by anything. If you simply flip Carter and Richards line in your conception of "top line"...