HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Thinking of getting some Goalie stuff just in case...

Old
01-23-2010, 11:05 AM
9Rocket

vCash: 500
Thinking of getting some Goalie stuff just in case...

The other night my team had a game and our goalie did not show up. Nothing worse than going to play a game/rent out and not having a goalie. How many times has this happen to you?
So I have been toying with getting Goalie stuff for a while just in case. What is the best way to go about it? Do I get used or buy new but not the good stuff? Also I catch with my right hand......

9Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 01:35 PM
gluvhand

I'd probably go the used, higher-end stuff, route. If memory serves, there's at least one Play It Again on Long Island. They usually have a decent selection.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 01:48 PM
mexicohockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Rocket View Post
The other night my team had a game and our goalie did not show up. Nothing worse than going to play a game/rent out and not having a goalie. How many times has this happen to you?
So I have been toying with getting Goalie stuff for a while just in case. What is the best way to go about it? Do I get used or buy new but not the good stuff? Also I catch with my right hand......
Seriously? Are you condsidering to shell out hundreds of dollars just for the rare event that your goalie is not present? How often does this happen?

mexicohockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

i would recommend used, and try to get your entire team to pitch in unless you want to spend a ton of money just for a very rare occasion

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Rickety Cricket

You catch with your right hand? I got an extra glove laying around in my garage and I believe a blocker too (all used, the blocker is a bit raggedy, but still usable). PM me, I'll just send it to you if you cover the shipping cost.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:23 PM
OprtnShtdwn

I would suggest find a player to join your team that also plays goal, that way in case your goalie doesn't show up, he'll have his equipment. For my one team, i'm the backup, and i always pack my equipment in the event that he doesn't show.

However, if your goalie is sticking you over, i wouldn't bother having him come back and i'd recruit another goalie.

OprtnShtdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 05:48 PM
hemsky88

If you want to get used goalie equipment, the best way and cheapest is off Ebay. Don't go to local stores because they are overpriced.

hemsky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 05:48 PM
greyraven8

I ended playing goal part way through one of my beer league games (I play goal occasionally in scrub hockey - usually play D). Our regular goalie got tossed part way through the game; I took off my player's gear and put on his gear - he had at least half a foot on me and a shoe size or more; also he catches right and I catch with left hand. His skates were duller than I was used to and I was barely able to keep standing; the only good thing was my girlfriend drove to my house and picked up my blocker and catcher and I got them part way through the period.

Anyway, part of the point of this is that a set of goalie gear isn't going to fit everyone. If you personally are thinking of trying out playing goal, I would look for local ads on craigslist, kijiji, and your local arenas. You may get a good deal on some gear someone has either outgrown or from someone who is retiring from the game - that's where I got my original gear, and have upgraded (with newer used stuff) over the years.

You might find a deal on goalie gear on ebay, but make sure it's a size that will fit you and factor in the shipping costs.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote