HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

AHL Rookie Strugglers

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2004, 06:12 PM
Rahan

vCash: 500
Is Mikko Koivu injured? (maybe its not the best thread to post this, but..)

Old
12-23-2004, 06:39 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Koivu was injured early in the season, and was out a month. He isn't struggling persay. The Aeros play similiar to the Wild, I believe, so point production should/is low out of all the prospects playing in Houston.

Old
12-23-2004, 07:03 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsFan
Yet you are supposed to be one of the kid's biggest fans? What does he have to do exactly? Score 1.5 PPG? Come on, give the guy a break. He's 19 and didn't know a word of english when he entered the Bulldogs training camp. Plus, he said it more than once: this is not hockey like he was used to play it in Belarus, where he could be a one-dimensional player while still dominating the play. Give him time to learn how to play defense, before asking him to be the league's top rookie. What shocks me the most about this is you don't even bring facts that make you think Kostitsyn is struggling right now.

Remember Perezhogin last season? He was in a similar situation... the difference is Alexander knew how to play defense and was 1 year older. He did have a hard time at first. You have to expect that coming from young Russians trying to learn how hockey is played in North America. It's even clearer in Kostitsyn's case. You don't seem to get that.
Completly agree but I was just expecting more from a 10th overall pick but that's just me.

Yes I am getting it.I frequently told that myself.I tried/was tryng to justify his lack of production many times.I was just expecting a tremendous rookie season from him that's it.He's young I know it's not like He has 33 years old.

Old
12-23-2004, 07:10 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I think that Petr Kanko was expected to put up more points, but he has been playing on the 3rd line most of the year.
While he hasn't put up the expected numbers, I wouldn't say he has struggled either. The games I've heard, he has been decent in both ends of the ice and making chances, not to mention standing up against the opposition and standing up for his teammates.

Maybe I'm just nitpicking now, sorry I just think there's a difference between struggling and not putting up the numbers.

Old
12-23-2004, 07:13 PM
PanthersRule96

Kamil Kreps has only 2 goals and 3 assists. I think he was hurt though.

He tore up the preseason but hasn't done much.

Globke hasn't done much either offensively.

Greg Jacina is a surprise. He's a good offensive player.

Old
12-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Cerebral

Jesse Niinimaki hasn't put up a point yet for the Roadrunners but he's been held out of a number of games and is getting really limited ice time. Kyle Brodziak seems to have moved ahead of him on the depth chart for now (3rd in WHL scoring last season) and is getting more ice time...

Old
12-24-2004, 11:18 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
While he hasn't put up the expected numbers, I wouldn't say he has struggled either. The games I've heard, he has been decent in both ends of the ice and making chances, not to mention standing up against the opposition and standing up for his teammates.

Maybe I'm just nitpicking now, sorry I just think there's a difference between struggling and not putting up the numbers.
Yeah I don't think he's struggling either, I just kind of expected him to put up more points and PIM's.

Old
12-24-2004, 01:51 PM
In the Doghouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Jesse Niinimaki hasn't put up a point yet for the Roadrunners but he's been held out of a number of games and is getting really limited ice time. Kyle Brodziak seems to have moved ahead of him on the depth chart for now (3rd in WHL scoring last season) and is getting more ice time...
Funny thing is that he left Ilves to get more icetime... I think he should start practicing if he's gonna make a career in NHL. He can dominate the game in some junior leagues with his pure skills but if he wants to succeed in "real" hockey league, he should do something to his physics. His slackness makes me angry 'cause he's one of the most talented young hockey players from finland in years.

Old
12-24-2004, 02:17 PM
Streaker-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
Is Mikko Koivu injured? (maybe its not the best thread to post this, but..)
I think Mikko has done quite well including 2+1 last night

Old
12-24-2004, 02:20 PM
Streaker-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Me
Funny thing is that he left Ilves to get more icetime... I think he should start practicing if he's gonna make a career in NHL. He can dominate the game in some junior leagues with his pure skills but if he wants to succeed in "real" hockey league, he should do something to his physics. His slackness makes me angry 'cause he's one of the most talented young hockey players from finland in years.
Yeah that´s what I´ve said too (and many others I guess). How can a guy with talents like that just waste them? He´d have a great future if he just wanted. If he doesn´t start practicing and bringing himself down from the skycastles, I´ll be very disappointed.

A probable bust in my books.

Old
12-24-2004, 03:14 PM
In the Doghouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streaker-man
Yeah that´s what I´ve said too (and many others I guess). How can a guy with talents like that just waste them? He´d have a great future if he just wanted. If he doesn´t start practicing and bringing himself down from the skycastles, I´ll be very disappointed.

A probable bust in my books.
What he needs now, is a coach who can bring him down, who can get him realized that in a pro level you don't get far without working your ass of. No one is talented enough to succeed without working. I really hope there is a coach like that for him. He's just too good to be wasted.

Old
12-24-2004, 04:06 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Me
A lot of it is his work and effort off of the ice IMO. A report came out prior to the start of the season that claimed Niinimaki had been working out and was up to 200 pounds. It was exciting to hear but it was quickly proven to be false. Jesse seems to have a lot of skill and I'm hoping he'll get some more game action after Christmas. He did score in a shootout in his first game so he definitely has some ability. If only he had the work ethic of Tikkanen...

Old
12-24-2004, 09:17 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Ben Eager 23 games, 2g, 2a with a +2 rating and 81 penalty minutes. I was kinda hoping for the second coming of John LeClair, but eh whatever. Keeps it up and he's going to be trade bait. *BURN*

Old
12-27-2004, 01:42 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I think that Petr Kanko was expected to put up more points, but he has been playing on the 3rd line most of the year.
The good thing about it is that when he's been given top line time he's produced. And even still, while playing on the third lines, he has remained an uberpest.

12-27-2004, 10:42 AM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Note to self:

Never say a Montreal prospect has been struggling so far because some of their fans will come up with a million and one excuses has to why he hasn't been producing.

If some of you read the post over again you'll see that the guy who started it wasn't calling them a bust just simply pointing out their struggles.

Old
12-27-2004, 11:28 AM
JohnnyReb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF
Note to self:

Never say a Montreal prospect has been struggling so far because some of their fans will come up with a million and one excuses has to why he hasn't been producing.

If some of you read the post over again you'll see that the guy who started it wasn't calling them a bust just simply pointing out their struggles.
Not making excuses at all. As montreal pointed out, the first 7 "strugglers" had a total of 10 goals, with not one of them having more than 2 goals. Yet Kostitsyin gets lumped in with them, despite having 6 goals? Why is that? Is every other rookie with 6 goals also struggling?

Old
12-27-2004, 12:01 PM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb
Not making excuses at all. As montreal pointed out, the first 7 "strugglers" had a total of 10 goals, with not one of them having more than 2 goals. Yet Kostitsyin gets lumped in with them, despite having 6 goals? Why is that? Is every other rookie with 6 goals also struggling?

That's true he hasn't been that bad but I think some Montreal fans set their standards a bit too high now that he hasn't played up to their expectations they say he's struggling.

Old
12-27-2004, 02:59 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
The good thing about it is that when he's been given top line time he's produced. And even still, while playing on the third lines, he has remained an uberpest.
Indeed.

Old
12-30-2004, 10:54 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
Keith Ballard ('02 - 11th) - 2 goals in 26 games

Ballard also has 10 assists...12 points in 30 games for a rookie dman is pretty good imo

Old
01-09-2005, 01:02 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Ben Eager

Old
01-09-2005, 06:32 AM
Thundermare

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF
That's true he hasn't been that bad but I think some Montreal fans set their standards a bit too high now that he hasn't played up to their expectations they say he's struggling.
From a Mtl fan... you are right and he deserves to be there.... That being said he showed good things and improved his play without the puck in a big way. That's just sad though that in todays NHL(and therefore AHL) you have to learn the system before you can get a regular shift

Old
01-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX
Ryan Whitney

not anymore.

Old
01-10-2005, 01:36 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

How do you figure?

Old
01-10-2005, 01:40 AM
Jacob

He's playing better.

Old
01-10-2005, 03:10 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

A lot of the Stars prospects actually, granted they all play for relatively weak offensive teams;

Steve Ott - 20 points in 39 games
Trevor Daley - 14 points in 39 games
Junior Lessard - 10 points in 26 games

And most of the goalies are struggling..

Closed Thread