HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lines going forward and for the playoff push

Old
01-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
need a 3rd line player who can score and hit
need a remplacement for Bergeron on the PP
Bergeron has been more than fine on the PP...

As far as the list of problems on this team go, I'd rank that somewhere after laundry facilities.

Seriously, is the top PP in the league somehow not good enough?

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
need a 3rd line player who can score and hit
need a remplacement for Bergeron on the PP
I agree with the first one, but you and I both know we'll just get another small, but fiesty forward.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:11 PM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Bergeron - Lapierre - Kostitsyn
Tough guy from Hamilton- Metro - Darche

Markov - O'Byrne
Hamrlik - Gorges
Spacek-Gill

Price
Halak

I think Spacek would profit more from being on his natural side than Gill, because Spacek needs to shoot, Gill just shuts down. I like that 3rd line, because with Bergeron and SK, Lappiere can really up his offence, and we need a real banger, either Conboy or sign Neilson to drop 'em, but with O'Byrne establishing himself as a force in the making, we can rely on him to provide some muscle.
Did you forget Moen? I'd take him on my bottom six ahead of Darche, S.Kost, Bergeron, and "tough guy from Hamilton" any day of the week.

lamp9post is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:12 PM
coolasprICE

Cam - Trotter - Gionta
Pouliot - Gomez - White
MaxPac - Desharnais - Darche
Lapierre - Maxwell - Pyatt

Markov - O'Byrne
Weber - Belle
Gill - Gorges

trade : Plekanec, Hamrlik, Spacek, MAB, SK, AK for picks and finish 4th last so we can get a player like Benoit Pouliot

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:40 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 1300
I wouldn't mind adding a guy like Pahlsson to the lineup. He would be great for a playoff run.

Mike Cammalleri - Tomas Plekanec - Andrei Kostitsyn
Benoit Pouliot - Scott Gomez - Brian Gionta
Sergei Kostitsyn - Samuel Pahlsson - Travis Moen
Marc-Andre Bergeron - Maxim Lapierre - Mathieu Darche

Andrei Markov - Ryan O'Byrne
Roman Hamrlik - Jaroslav Spacek
Hal Gill - Josh Gorges

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:58 PM
go_habs_go

Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
Michael Cammalleri - Tomas Plekanec - Andrei Kostitsyn
Brian Gionta - Scott Gomez - Benoit Pouliot
Sergei Kostitsyn - Saku Koivu - Teemu Selanne
Travis Moen - Maxim Lapierre - Eric Neilson / MA Bergeron

Very doable and would go far IMO in the playoffs ..

go_habs_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Horatio Caine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 8 View Post
I wouldn't mind adding a guy like Pahlsson to the lineup. He would be great for a playoff run.

Hal Gill - Josh Gorges
Best and realistic lineup so far

Horatio Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Bergeron has been more than fine on the PP...

As far as the list of problems on this team go, I'd rank that somewhere after laundry facilities.

Seriously, is the top PP in the league somehow not good enough?
I have no problem with Bergeron on the PP but if we find a good 3rd line player where do you play MAB when we are not on the PP? He's often out of position when he play forward and he's our 7 or 8 dmen. The only thing he have it's a shot

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:17 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku_All_The_Way View Post
Imagine...

Cammalleri - Plekanec - A.Kostitsyn
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
S.Kostityn - Koivu - Selanne
Moen - Metropolit- Lapierre

Markov - Gorges
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Spacek - Gill

Halak
Price

(I know im dreaming hehe, the ducks will never trade them they can do the playoffs, but that would've been awesome)
It would be unreal, but my only worry would be what would we have to give up to get both Saku and Teemu rentals for a playoff push? If we could get them for a 2nd rounder each then it would be worth the gamble, if more then no.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:26 AM
Horatio Caine

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_habs_go View Post
Michael Cammalleri - Tomas Plekanec - Andrei Kostitsyn
Brian Gionta - Scott Gomez - Benoit Pouliot
Sergei Kostitsyn - Saku Koivu - Teemu Selanne
Travis Moen - Maxim Lapierre - Eric Neilson / MA Bergeron

Very doable and would go far IMO in the playoffs ..
I'm not saying your lineup is bad at all, but here's the thing : a contending team needs one (more is better) of three things to win it all : star power (a la Chicago, San Jose, Pitt, Wash), one of the best checking line and a reliable goaltender. Sure, there is a lot of factors and intangibles, but every team needs one asset like this, along with a good team.

As of right now, there is around 20 teams that can beat each other on any given night.

The Montreal case is special : we don't know if we have a steady and reliable goalie or two, we have «kinda» star power and we have nothing that's near a checking line. But, we're not that far away from being a good and respected team.

Now, when Andrei's gonna get healthy, for the first time of the year, the Habs are gonna have two great lines that can score every night. So, come playoff time, if the shutdown pairing is playing against the Pleks line, well Gomez and friends would have to produce, and that's what they are doing since three weeks. Maybe they won't have star power like the team I've mentioned, but the balance, chemistry and offensive production of those 2 lines can carry the team.

As for goaltenders, we know that the team is playing well with Halak. Is he the man? Maybe for this year...

And for the checking line. Travis Moen played with Sami Palhsson and Rob Niedermayer : the best checking line in 2006-2007 (the TSN Panel said that before they won the cup). They outsmarted the line of Alfredsson, Spezza and Heatley. Now, if we can bring a center, who will know his role, who won't steal the job of someone in the top 6, who is recognize for his defensive play, well that would be better.

What I'm trying to say is that If the Habs bring another top-6 guy and he robs the spot of an «establish» player in the PP, well that's gonna cause some ***** in the team chemistry. That's why bringing an establish scorer to a third line isn't a great idea.

Bringing a solid third line center, with Sergei (he could be the guy that replaces somebody in the top 6 if there's an injury) and Moen, you'll have a solid team. And, that third line center would be in the first PK, to give Pleks more time to rest and more offensive responsibilities.

PK :
Pahlsson/Belanger - Moen
Gill - Gorges

Sergei - Lapierre
Hammer - O'byrne

It's really important for players to know their roles. There is a reason why Jordan Staal is so appreciated in Pitt, why the Hawks went and signed John Madden, etc.

Old
01-25-2010, 01:50 AM
Ginu

If Pouliot can continue to play big, the only line I'm worried about is our first line. Camm, Pleks and Andrei can be a dominant line, but they are also the style of line that'll get closed down in the playoffs. I really don't know what the solution is to that problem. We've seen it time and time again. And if we do bring in help, who do we drop out of the top 6? Do we target a guy like Hartnell that can play on any of the top 3 lines with size to give us that extra option? It'll be interesting because we know size in our top 6 is on Gainey's radar.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:57 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Caine View Post
It's really important for players to know their roles. There is a reason why Jordan Staal is so appreciated in Pitt, why the Hawks went and signed John Madden, etc.
For us that has to be Lapierre or Metro. We don't have another option. I'm not sold on the 3rd line either but because, after getting rid of Latendresse, and now sending down Max, we've opened up two left wing spots on the bottom two lines. Sergei will take one spot (but also plays right wing) and Bergeron the other. To me, this opens the door for someone with size who can play that 3rd line roll and jump up if we need size in our top 6 in the playoffs. Something like:

Hartnell - Lapierre - Sergei
Bergeron - Metro - Moen
(Darche/White/Pyatt as 13th)

With Gainey's moves recently, it appears he's trying to open up a spot. Latendresse, MaxPac, D'Agostini, and Laraque all removed from the lineup.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 03:20 AM
Nidema

Quote:

Hal Gill - Josh Gorges
Great lineup, what do you think we give up for Pahlsson?

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 03:22 AM
NoWhammyCammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
I wouldn't mind getting a guy like Eric Belanger for the third line if the Wild are out of the playoff race at the deadline, solid at both ends of the ice and is 57% in the faceoff circle.

Cammalleri - Plekanec - A. Kostitsyn
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Moen - Belanger - Lapierre
Darche - Metropolit - S. Kostitsyn
we don't have the team to be close to winning the cup ... why get Belanger as a rental and lose a pick for him ?

do not want

NoWhammyCammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 03:26 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWhammyCammy View Post
we don't have the team to be close to winning the cup ... why get Belanger as a rental and lose a pick for him ?

do not want
I kind of agree. i do not want to mortgage the future to rent a few weeks of a UFA to be, unless we want him long-term and he fits cap-wise.

On the other hand, we could trade UFA for UFA, say Mara for a 3rd line Center. That I don't have a problem with.

On the other hand, the solution to our faceoff problems is actually on the team already. The Habs have a 55% career faceoff man on the squad.

Does anyone know who that is?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 03:54 AM
NoWhammyCammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I kind of agree. i do not want to mortgage the future to rent a few weeks of a UFA to be, unless we want him long-term and he fits cap-wise.

On the other hand, we could trade UFA for UFA, say Mara for a 3rd line Center. That I don't have a problem with.

On the other hand, the solution to our faceoff problems is actually on the team already. The Habs have a 55% career faceoff man on the squad.

Does anyone know who that is?

Mara for Belanger I would be willing to do it ... didn't thought about that , smart idea and could actually work !

PS : is it Cammalleri ??? I know he's really good on the faceoffs from what i've seen this year

NoWhammyCammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:08 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWhammyCammy View Post
Mara for Belanger I would be willing to do it ... didn't thought about that , smart idea and could actually work !

PS : is it Cammalleri ??? I know he's really good on the faceoffs from what i've seen this year
On the first point, if there is a team that is in contention that has a spare defensive centre and needs a spare defenceman, then we can try the Mara gambit. Teams OUT of contention won't likely be willing to take Mara. But there are more teams IN contention than OUT of contention, so who knows?

As for the faceoff man, NoWhammyCammy gets it right, it's Cammy! Actually, he has been between 54% and 60% every year, and takes an average of 350 faceoffs per year, so this is a reliable stat. It's his amazing hand-eye coordination that puts him in good stead.

The idea would be that for key defensive zone faceoffs and the Plekanec line on the ice, Cammalleri would switch places with Pleks just for the faceoff. If the Lapierre line is on, Cammalleri replaces Bergeron until we get out of our zone, or takes a double shift like he sometimes does for Bergeron anyway. If Metropolit's or Gomez' line are on the ice, it's less of a problem, because Scott and Glen are 50% men, which is better than our other two centremen who lose more than they win.

Now that GM Gainey has read these boards and moved Laraque, Pacioretty and D'Agostini, it's time for someone to describe JM this idea. MAG, you're up!

Old
01-25-2010, 07:13 AM
WestIslander

Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Moen - Metropolit - Darche
Kostitsyn - Maxwell - Lapierre

Markov - O'Byrne
Hamrlik - Gorges
Spacek - Bergeron

Price
Halak

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:04 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Moen - Metropolit - Darche
Kostitsyn - Maxwell - Lapierre

Markov - O'Byrne
Hamrlik - Gorges
Spacek - Bergeron

Price
Halak
When was Hal Gill injured?

Old
01-25-2010, 09:08 AM
odishabs

2 Different Paths we could take here.

Path #1 Sellers

To New Jersey: Tomas Plekanec
To Montreal: 1st round pick and Adam Henrique

To Vancouver: Roman Hamrlik and a 6th round pick
To Montreal: Steve Bernier and a 3rd round pick

To Washington: Marc-Andre Bergeron
To Montreal: 3rd round pick and conditional pick

--------------------------------------------------

Cammalleri - Henrique - A.Kostitsyn
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
S.Kostitsyn - Metropolit - Bernier
Darche - Lapierre - Moen

Markov - O'Byrne
Spacek - Subban
Gill - Gorges

Price
Halak

--------------------------------------------

Or the Buyers Standpoit #2

to Minnesota: 3rd round pick and Matt D'Agostini
to Montreal: Eric Belanger

to Philly: Max PACIORETTY
to Montreal: Scott Hartnell

-----------------------------------------

Cammalleri - Plekanec - A.Kostitsyn
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Hartnell - Metropolit - S.Kostitsyn
Bergeron - Belanger - Moen/Darche

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:11 AM
neofury*

Trade for Koivu back /cry

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Pascal

Quote:
What playoff run? do you really think we can beat Pitt/NJ or Wsh in a best of 7?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Horatio Caine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
What playoff run? do you really think we can beat Pitt/NJ or Wsh in a best of 7?
With a shutdown line and everyone healthy, I really think we can beat them. I'm not saying we're better or we're gonna make it, but we certainly have a chance. The 2009-2010 edition would be the best team to enter the playoffs since a long time. I believe in team chemistry, team toughness and the balance (that if we have a good shutdown line).

Old
01-25-2010, 09:51 AM
otto bond

This is so much fun!

Cammy-Plekanec-SK,AK if back
Poo-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-Maxwell-Darche(knows Max a little from Hamilton)
MAB-Lapierre-Metro

Gorges-Markov I really hate to pir Markove with Gorges but O'Byrne is not ready
Spacek-Hamrlik we finnally saw a good game from Spacek...I leave it that
O'Byrne-Gill wow danger but size so......Gorges was better here IMO.

I will not touch the goalie cause it's.......well sensitive.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:58 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Three players for Frank Mahovlich? Are you crazy? What playoff run? We weren't even IN the playoffs last year, and this year, Boston is having the best season in the HISTORY of the NHL. They have that freakin' Bobby Orr!! You think there is ANY CHANCE of beating them, or even Chicago or the Rangers?

Plus, we're in complete disarray. We have no idea from one week to the next if Rogie Vachon or Phil Myre is our #1 goalie (even though there is a gawky guy on the Voyageurs who is burning up the AHL). Unforgiveable - we had Tony Esposito on our roster and let him go - for nothing !!! Now, our most talented defenceman is out for the season (again) with his SECOND broken leg in two years. Our two top centremen are 39 and 35 years old, and we just sent our #3 centreman to LA in a deal that looks mighty weird. Gave him away it seems!

Forget about Mahovlich, and by the way, Pollock has to go! He's completely lost it.

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 01-26-2010 at 01:50 AM.