HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

AAA11 Final: Regina Pat Canadians vs. Toledo Walleye

Old
01-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Jordan struck again in the first minute of the third. No, not on a solo rush. He took Aucoin's slap-pass and redirected it to the top corner for a 3-0 Regina lead.

Regina let this momentum carry them, and sustained more pressure throughout the first half of the period. Brodeur, when tested, was doing his job as well.

Finally, Toledo broke through the wall. Ran McDonald, who had shown a penchant for big goals so far, tipped a pass over Brodeur to make it 3-1 with 10 minutes to play.

With a delayed penalty on the way to Regina, bud Poile got in Brodeur's kitchen and tapped in a rebound off the back boards. The Regina contingent in the crowd booed loudly. With just 4 minutes to play, Regina's lead had become rather precarious.

Toledo understood how mentally crippling it was to be in Regina's situation, and threw verything they had at the Regina net.

When Regina had offensive chances, Nicholson kept it within one. Jordan and Marks were particularly dangerous for one shift.

The crowd could sense it coming, and it did. Dutch Reibel blasted a shot from the top of the circle, and Brodeur should have had it, but didn't. just 52 seconds remained. Brodeur made a clutch save on a point blank shot on the following play.

Reibel struck again with just 30 seconds to go, as he flipped a rebound over a prone Brodeur. Regina was a minute away from victory, and found themselves down a goal thirty seconds later. What a turn of events!

Herb Jordan, showing a real flair for the dramatic, converted a Jack Marks pass and scored with just six seconds remaining to send this game to OT with Regina's backs to the wall.
I think this is Gary Bettman‘s dream NHL; goals galore.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 06:48 PM
seventieslord

The way the third period went, the OT was bound to be short. After Jordan's obligatory solo rush, play went into the Regina end, where Brodeur handled a point blank shot and all hearts in Regina stopped simultaneously. At the other end, Nicholson blocked a centering pass and froze it.

Horeck and Brydge combined for a nice passing play, but failed to bury the biscuit. A Toledo shot hit the side of the net at the other end. Partial breakaways at both ends were then stopped. There was the feeling that this end-to-end action could not last long.

This continued for what seemed like forever. Each rush seemed to end in an intercepted pass, a brilliant save, or a wide shot. Bill Juzda had the chance to be the unlikely hero, but that's why they call them unlikely heroes. he sailed it over the net.

At the17-minute mark, Bruce Driver took a holding penalty. The infraction was rather weak compared to the hook Aucoin had to endure a minute earlier. This just might be it for Regina. Although, their PK had been much more efficient tonight.

It looked like the game was over, as Ray Whitney had Brodeur deked out, but was muscled off the puck by Adrian Aucoin. Aucoin then corralled the rebound before Duguay could touch it to ice the series.

In the dying seconds of the PP, Don Saleski deftly stole the puck from Dewsbury, put a fast shot on Nicholson, then got his own rebound and hit the post. It was that close for Regina.

The first OT period ended without a deciding goal.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 06:56 PM
seventieslord

Jordan started the 2nd OT period with a solo rush and then a one-timer, both of which were turned aside. A poor pass led to a Jack McDonald breakaway, which was also stopped. Brodeur turned aside his share at the other end, once surrending two juicy rebounds but stopping the ensuing shots. He also stopped a Ran McDonald breakaway.

then, Jack Marks caught a breakout pass from Jordan, who had intercepted a centering attempt. Marks went in almost alone, but Bouchard attempted to force him outside. He did, but Marks slammed on the breaks, and backhanded a shot from the left side that snuck under Nicholson's arm to win the game and tie the series. A thrilling OT had ended after 26 minutes and 44 shots.

Scoring Summary:

REG - Marks (Jordan)
REG - Jordan (McDonald)
REG - Jordan (Aucoin)
TOL - McDonald (Whitney, Nicholson)
TOL - Poile (Duguay, Whitney)
TOL - Reibel (Boesch, Bouchard)
TOL - Reibel (McDougall, Jarret)
REG - Jordan (Marks, Fontinato)
REG - Marks (Jordan)

PP: REG 0/1, TOL 0/5`
FO: 22/15 REG
Hits: 53/37 REG

Brodeur: W, 73/77
Nicholson: L, 76/81

Notable +/-: REG: Jordan +4, Juzda, Driver -3
TOL: Whitney, Poile, Duguay, Dewsbury, Boesch +2, Tallon, patey, Mishakov -2

hits Leaders: Aucoin, Gagne, Juzda 5, Sheppard 7

3 stars: Jordan (3G, 2A), Reibel (2G), Marks (2G, OTG)

Old
01-24-2010, 07:00 PM
seventieslord

"It's like I said", Kilrea said after the game. "Our best players need to be our best players. Jordan came up big tonight. He had a game for the ages. Our PK straightened itself out. And Brodeur had the best game of the series, in my opinion. If we didn't hang him out to dry in the 3rd, he could have had a shutout."

Todd and Trotz were optimistic heading back to Regina. "We had them where we wanted them'", Todd said. "Now both teams know how to not play with the lead. And goaltending has been much better since game 1. It's going to be a really good game 7, and we will be ready."

Old
01-24-2010, 11:12 PM
seventieslord

Game 7: Brandt Center, Regina

Jordan started with the customary rush, but this time was stood up in front of the net by Dale Tallon. Play went the other way, and Ray Sheppard found the back of the cage for a 1-0 Toledo lead.

Herberts stripped Bouchard of the puck behind the net, but his wraparound was foiled by Nicholson. The very next play, Jordan one-timed a long Jack McDonald pass to the top corner. Tie game.

Guevremont showed he wasn't just about offense when he broke up a 2-on-1. He followed this up by rushing the puck and unleashing a blast, but it was stopped. At the 10 minute mark, shots were 10-10, in other words, one shot per minute per team. Look out, goalies!

Old
01-24-2010, 11:28 PM
seventieslord

Regina struck just after the halfway mark of the first period. Jordan took the puck up the right side with McDonald in the middle. He passed past Siltanen and onto McDonald's stick. Jack fought off Dewsbury and shot. Nicholson kicked it out, but Jordan, unchecked, grabbed the rebound as he skated in from the right and buried his second of the game.

Jordan and McDonald clicked on the very next shift. Jordan won the faceoff, weaved his way in, hit the side of the net, picked up his rebound before Boesch could, passed between Boesch's feet to McDonald in front, and the latter one-timed it high. 3-1 Regina, with lots of hockey left to be played. It seemed that Jordan and McDonald had finall found the chemistry they had over 100 years ago when Jordan was in his final years with Quebec and McDonald was just starting his career.

Fontinato elbowed McDougall for a 2-minute penalty, giving Toledo the opportunity to get back into the game. Sure enough, the potent Toledo PP clicked. Ron Duguay batted in his own rebound out of midair after Whitney set him up in front.

Fontinato didn't take long to make up for his indiscretions, though. He intercepted a Patrik Sundstrom pass intended for hib Milks, and quickly fed Maloney. Maloney carried the puck all the way up the left wing, failed to deke out Pierre Bouchard, who played the man perfectly, and sent a bad angle shot in from the bottom arc of the circle that beat Nicholson. This soft goal could prove to be deflating for Toledo, and put them behind by two again.

Regina continued to put pressure on Toledo. Gagne managed to get off three straight shots, to put their total up to 22, but was stoned each time. Play went the other way, and Ran McDonald passed to Ron Duguay for a one-timer in front and this was once again a one-goal game.

Maloney continued his strong play, though. He beat Bouchard to a loose puck in the corner, waited him out, and sent a pass right through his skates and into Boesch's skate. it almost bounced on off Boesch, but Nicholson stopped it awkwardly. Herberts, who boesch was trying to cover, made no mistake on the rebound. 5-3 Regina.

And that's how the first period ended - 5-3 Regina, with the pat Canadians holding a 25-18 edge in shots.

Old
01-24-2010, 11:35 PM
seventieslord

the first five minutes of the second period were rather uneventful, apart from Pete Horeck getting away with an obvious hook.

Jack McDonald continued his very strong play. On a 2-on-1 with Jordan, he faked like he was passing, and instead fooled Nicholson on the short side with a wrist shot to go up 6-3.

Regina looked like they may begin to run away with it. Toledo looked completely impotent in their own end, as regina cycled the puck as though they had the man advantage. Don Smith had time to stop, survey the situation for a second, and find Nick Mickoski alone when Larochelle let his guard down for a split second. Mickoski had time to tee up a slapshot, and made no mistake. 7-3 Regina.

We've seen four-goal deficits in this series before, and they don't mean squat. Still over half the game left.

Old
01-24-2010, 11:41 PM
seventieslord

Nicholson may have allowed seven goals to this point, but he was making numerous difficult saves as well. Saleski and Jordan both found themselves alone with lots of time, and Big Billy flashed the leather.

At the other end, Poile broke free from a neutral zone faceoff and unleashed a low wrist shot that the diminutive Brodeur somehow gloved.

McDougall hadn't broken out offensively, but he sure was trying. A dazzling solo rush was foiled by Brodeur, and then when digging it out from the corner, he sent it out front to Dutch Reibel, the almost-hero of game 6, and Brodeur gloved his one-timer too.

A much tighter second period saw just 15 shots from each side, and 2 goals from Regina. 7-3 heading into the 3rd.

Old
01-24-2010, 11:48 PM
seventieslord

Regina was just 20 minutes from winning a series that, with 30 seconds left in game 6, seemed rather unlikely. And what's more, they carried the play into the 3rd. Three minutes in, Toledo hadn't registered a shot. Dale Tallon ended up taking a frustration penalty, and Regina went to work on putting this one out of reach.

The penalty expired with Regina having only taken a few harmless point shots. Guevremont showed excellent puck control but they couldn't get that 8th goal. Still, time kept ticking and Toledo wasn't making the game any closer. Bill Juzda broke up a 2-on-1 and sent it the other way. Driver also intercepted a centering pass and cleared the puck. On the next play, Aucoin positioned himself so that a Sheppard shot hit hm in the shin pads. Regina was protecting their lead like experts. Just 5 minutes remained now.

Old
01-25-2010, 12:02 AM
seventieslord

Regina continued their masterful shot blocking until late in the game. With 55 seconds left, Whitney eluded Brydge in time to one-time Duguay's pass past Brodeur. Anything is possible, but less than a minute remained and Toledo was still dealing with a three-goal deficit.

Whitney and Duguay pressured admirably and got three good shots on Brodeur, but he kept it out. toledo was pressing a bit too hard, and Regina went back the other way on an odd man rush. Don Smith completed a pretty passing play with Gagne and Driver. With 15 seconds to go, they could finally breath easily knowing that this one was in the bag.

time ticked down and regina savoured their well-earned game 7 victory.

Scoring Summary:

TOL - Sheppard (McDougall)
REG - Jordan (McDonald)
REG - Jordan (McDonald)
REG - McDonald (Jordan)
TOL - Duguay (Whitney) PP
REG - Maloney (Fontinato)
TOL - Duguay (McDonald, Dewsbury)
REG - Herberts (Maloney)
REG - McDonald (Aucoin)
REG - Mickoski (Smith, Juzda)
TOL - Whitney (Duguay)
REG - Smith (Gagne, Driver)

PP: REG /0/1, TOL 1/1
FO: 18/9 REG
Hits: 42/27 TOL

Brodeur: W, 49/53
Nicholson: L, 58/66

Notable +/-: REG: Fontinato, Aucoin +3, Shuvalov, Saleski, Horeck -1
TOL: Whitney, McDonald +1, Bouchard, Poile, Sundstrom, Milks -3

hits Leaders: Mcdougall, Milks 5, Maloney 4

3 stars: McDonald (2G, 2A), Jordan (2G, 1A), Duguay (2G, 1A)

Old
01-25-2010, 12:32 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Congratulations. That was a very entertaining (although time-consuming on your part) way to do the finals. Series highlight definitely has to be the mad scramble late in game 6, followed by the goalie fight.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:51 AM
seventieslord

Final series stats:

(no scratches were made, all players had 7 GP. i did not track PIMs)

Regina:

Jordan 6-7-13
Herberts 5-4-9
Smith 3-6-9
McDonald 4-4-8
Maloney 4-4-8
Aucoin 1-7-8
Gagne 4-3-7
Mickoski 3-3-6
Marks 4-1-5
Shuvalov 3-2-5
Fontinato 1-4-5
Saleski 1-3-4
Driver 0-4-4
Drake 2-1-3
Horeck 1-2-3
Juzda 0-2-2
Guevremont 0-2-2
Brydge 0-1-1
Brodeur 0-0-0

Toledo:

Duguay 7-7-14
Whitney 5-6-11
Larochelle 6-1-7
McDonald 4-3-7
Reibel 5-1-6
Poile 3-2-5
Dewsbury 0-5-5
Boesch 0-5-5
Siltanen 0-5-5
Patey 3-1-4
Bouchard 0-4-4
Sheppard 2-1-3
McDougall 1-2-3
Mishakov 0-3-3
Jarret 1-1-2
Sundstrom 0-2-2
Nicholson 0-2-2
Milks 1-0-1
Tallon 0-1-1
Fleury 0-0-0

Goalies:

Brodeur: 369/402, .918
Nicholson: 372/410, .907
Fleury: 18/24, .750

PP:

Regina: 4/12 (33.33%)
Toledo: 7/14 (50.00%)

And, to anyone reading this (most likely just Hedberg) I want to stress that I did not "drama this up" in any way, shape or form. I wrote it as it happened. The game was played on my desktop PC and I did the play-by-play on the laptop. I would even stop sometimes to get a replay of the goal to make sure I described it properly. i think this is my best series writeup ever, because I had a semi-real hockey game going on in front of me.

A few notes:

- I couldn't believe how streaky the scoring was. Not just teams, but players. It seemed teams would score goals in bunches of 3+. the team that had the last goal was over twice as likely to get the next one. And with players: look at Gagne, Jordan, Larochelle... very streaky.

- Bob Mcdougall was a disappointment. I don't know why he never broke out. He was rated much higher than his linemates, and they did alright. Well, Reibel did, anyway. Reibel was supposed to be the playmaker of the line, and their attributes were set up that way, but he ended up being a major key to the team's goal production.

- I'd have to call herb Jordan the series MVP, which is how it should have gone. He was actually outscored by Duguay 14-13 in the series, including 10-5 through five games, but Jordan shone when Regina needeed him the most, outscoring Duguay 8-4 in the final two games, earning first and second star honours and powering Regina to victory.

- 2 goals by defensemen. All series. that's not right.

- Given the frequency of shots, I'm not surprised at the PP efficiency. But I am disappointed in how often penalties were called. I turned them all the way up, and still each team averaged just 2 PPs per game.

- Larochelle and Maloney each came up big from the 4th line. So did Herberts, but he was playing the point on the PP as well.

- I guess putting guevremont on the 3rd unit and first PP isn't a recipe for success. the guy had two points, though he often looked dangerous. If PPs were called 2-3 times more often like they should have been, maybe he'd have looked better. Tallon has to be considered a disappointment too. First PP unit and one point.

- Look at that, the goalie sv% stats came out looking perfectly realistic! Although, they did face two series' worth of shots here.

This was a hell of a lot of fun, Hedberg. Thanks for agreeing to settle the AAA11 final this way. I normally would never enjoy watching a demo game of the NHL series, but this had me on the edge of my seat. It was a blast. I hope you read it all in order too, and enjoyed the suspense. A closer game 7 woulda been nice, but that's the way it went. We saved all our drama for game 6!

Old
01-25-2010, 12:53 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerLovesBurrows View Post
Congratulations. That was a very entertaining (although time-consuming on your part) way to do the finals. Series highlight definitely has to be the mad scramble late in game 6, followed by the goalie fight.
That was the worst part for me! I bit my nails... and I never bite my nails!