HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does anyone hate Howard Berger as much as me??

Old
01-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Belmonte

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Hockeybuzz
Fan590
Sportsnet

Talk about credibility. I try to avoid all three.
why would you question the credibility of Fan590?

Belmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:39 PM
RogerRoeper*

He lost me when he crapped on Kaberle earlier this year for not wanting out of Toronto and compared his situation to Roy Halladay.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:51 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

He must love it when the Leafs are doing bad because what will he say when they start winning like they were prior to the lockout?

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

"me" is an object, "I" a subject.

Title should be "... as much as I."

Retired English profs never lose their pedanticism.

Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:26 AM
stoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCCM View Post
Howard is objective and bang on the money when it comes to reporting on the Leafs.

He is well respected and that's why he's been working in Toronto sports media for years.

There are reasons lots of reasons WHY the Leafs havn't won a cup in going on 43 years and continue to be the laughing stock of The National Hockey League.

Howard Berger is just one of a legion of competent reporters who tells it like it is when it comes to the Leafs.

Leafs Nation internet punks just can't handle the truth. Nothing new there.
Howard is that you?

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:39 AM
mapes

Didn't Ron Wilson rip on him once?

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Arian

Who cares? They're paid to be *******s and if you don't like them then stop reading their articles or listening to their shows.

Arian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 11:40 AM
MIKE GUNDY*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennForCaptain View Post
I've been a leaf fan all my life and I know how bad the leafs have been the last 5 years. Do I really need to hear it every day? Especially from some snizzling terd. I can't stand this guy anymore. He is supposed to report on the leafs daily activity not how Brian Burke shouldn't have traded two first round picks for Kessel (which he brings up once a week) I would love to see this idiot run an nhl team. Better yet I would love to see him tell Brain Burke everything he writes on the internet or says behind his back on tv. He is everywhere sportsnet, hockeybuzz, am590 and he was even on off the record the other day. Just needed to get this off my chest and was wondering how everyone else felt.

Cheers
he wouldnt say it to brian burke's face (he's a scared coward)

MIKE GUNDY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 11:50 AM
heidmandl

Sorry, I'm not much of a hater

heidmandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 05:23 PM
frito10

Look at the bright side, at least we got to watch our coach/GM rip him a new one every couple of months! Entertainment at it's finest!

frito10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 05:44 PM
YearsintheWilderness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Darcy View Post
"me" is an object, "I" a subject.

Title should be "... as much as I."

Retired English profs never lose their pedanticism.
Nothing quite as sad as someone trying to play grammar expert...

and being wrong.

The title is grammatically correct.

YearsintheWilderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 05:52 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCCM View Post
Howard is objective and bang on the money when it comes to reporting on the Leafs.

He is well respected and that's why he's been working in Toronto sports media for years.

There are reasons lots of reasons WHY the Leafs havn't won a cup in going on 43 years and continue to be the laughing stock of The National Hockey League.

Howard Berger is just one of a legion of competent reporters who tells it like it is when it comes to the Leafs.

Leafs Nation internet punks just can't handle the truth. Nothing new there.
Well, I'm not going to be one of these guys dumping on Howard Berger for daring to be negative about the Leafs but seriously? Competent? Well respected? Objective? Utter hogwash.

Competent: How many times over the years has he had an embarassing hissy fit on the air over a trade or a player comment or a response by a Leafs' coach? Or how about the infamous meltdown when he couldn't slip his son into the ACC pressbox? How many times has he said "Darkest day is Toronto Maple Leafs history?"

Well Respected: There's a very good reason why he is working at the same station, in the exact same capacity for decades without advancement. Have you not seen his fellow media people mockingly chuckle at him or post snide references to him? Have you not heard his recent trend of sniping at and generalizing about Leaf fans? This from the man whose job it is to be the Leaf fan at the local sports radio station. I've always suspected that he's related to someone at the Fan590.

Objective: He's a Leafs fan with his own theory of team building. There is nothing objective about his perspectives on the team.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Theron
#beauty

Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
to the original question:

yes this guy.

Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 07:29 PM
william_adams

No need to hate Howard Berger. Just don't read/listen to him if you don't want to.

Despite SuperCCM's post, he is most certainly not "well-respected" amongst the players, management, nor media groups. At best, "tolerated" would be accurate (tho perhaps not for ron wilson).

Howard Berger is a human anachronism: he used to be very good (for both the leafs and the blue jays) as a fanzine-type reporter who would report on the minutia of practices, training camps, off-seasons, highly speculative (and unrealistic, but still fun) trade rumours. Because he was one of few that were doing this for our hometown teams, he built up quite a bit of a following. But as time passed and blogging (and later twittering) proliferated, his usefulness greatly diminished. Perhaps because of this, the tone of his reporting (especially his written stuff) has taken on an increasingly bitter and patronizing tone. He was never really a good writer (even by the fairly low standards set by many sportswriters), so at least for me this has made him much less interesting to read.

I don't mean to insult the guy, but i'm not sure that he is suited (or even qualified) to be opining on things hockey unless it's as he used to, ie, from a fans perspective. He was really quite good at that, but i guess at a certain point he felt he needed to outgrow that role...

william_adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Drakkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennForCaptain View Post
I've been a leaf fan all my life and I know how bad the leafs have been the last 5 years. Do I really need to hear it every day? Especially from some snizzling terd. I can't stand this guy anymore. He is supposed to report on the leafs daily activity not how Brian Burke shouldn't have traded two first round picks for Kessel (which he brings up once a week) I would love to see this idiot run an nhl team. Better yet I would love to see him tell Brain Burke everything he writes on the internet or says behind his back on tv. He is everywhere sportsnet, hockeybuzz, am590 and he was even on off the record the other day. Just needed to get this off my chest and was wondering how everyone else felt.

Cheers
Nope not here. I don't hate the guy, I just ignore him.

For me to hate somebody they have to betray my trust. I don't trust the media to give the whole truth unless that would sell their product. Controversy sells, part stories sell and drastic opinions sell.

And hey its working for him because here we are talking about him again.

Drakkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 02:05 PM
02m3smg

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_adams View Post
No need to hate Howard Berger. Just don't read/listen to him if you don't want to.

Howard Berger is a human anachronism: he used to be very good (for both the leafs and the blue jays) as a fanzine-type reporter who would report on the minutia of practices, training camps, off-seasons, highly speculative (and unrealistic, but still fun) trade rumours. ...
Bang on. Used to be good, then gradually got worse.

02m3smg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:44 PM
deekman81

I never understood why reporters feel the need to bash a fan base as Howard does so often. It's not their job. It's their job to comment on the team, their players, management, etc. Leave the fan base alone. We are allowed to cheer for whomever we want, no matter how bad the team is. I hate being called a "sheep" because I'm an optimist about the direction of my team.
Anyway, just my two cents.

deekman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:50 AM
tdoteli

I hate to dig up an old thread, but I just watched the post-game with Tyler Bozak, and Berger's mannerisms just drove me crazy. His "question," re: Bozak's give-away that ended in the back of the net:
Quote:
You know, in games like this, one mistake is so big, obviously, because team isn't scoring, you know.
This was right after Ty was already asked an (actual) question about what happened, so Berger was just rubbing salt in the kid's wounds. I'm not sure what reaction he was trying to get from Bozak, but it just made him look like an arsehole.
Good for Tyler, though, deflecting the question and staying positive.

tdoteli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:51 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmonte View Post
why would you question the credibility of Fan590?
Don't they simulcast hockey coverage with Sportsnet?

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote