HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rod Brind'Amour's Return to the Flyers

Old
01-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Ellas64

vCash: 500
Rod Brind'Amour's Return to the Flyers

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...ORTS04/1230315

I found this article online that's quite interesting. They interview Rod and ask him various questions. From the interview it still seems like he has orange and black blood running through his veins. It seems like he wants to come back and retire as a Flyer. What does everyone think about this? Or maybe he's too old to play?

Ellas64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellas64 View Post

I found this article online that's quite interesting. They interview Rod and ask him various questions. From the interview it still seems like he has orange and black blood running through his veins. It seems like he wants to come back and retire as a Flyer. What does everyone think about this? Or maybe he's too old to play?
Just from memory, I think his salary would be a major road block, and freeing up that room would require sending away more effective players than Brind'amour at this point.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 06:57 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I would happily welcome him back if he didn't have that contract.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 06:59 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I would happily welcome him back if he didn't have that contract.
$3.6 mill on the cap this year and next.

Rough!

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 07:01 PM
ArmchairGM

If he get's bought out, I wouldn't mind him on a league minimum contract. Although I don't know if he's much more then a 13th forward for us. He's playing on the 4th line in Carolina and is already minus 25.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 07:18 PM
BlueCollarCaptain

Pure class. Gotta love Roddy. I would love to have him back too, but I just don't see any scenario that makes sense for us.

BlueCollarCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Ellas64

The reason why he's minus 24 is because of the fact that he's in the 4th line with players that are not as talented and skilled as he is. I really don't pay much attention to plus/minus stats. He also went downhill after Laviolette left Carolina, maybe if he went under his wing again he will pick his game back up. Coaching impacts a player greatly and if you disagree just look at the way the flyers have been playing lately. For his age he still very athletic and well-conditioned, just check out this video, which wasn't made too long ago:

Ellas64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Cleary84

Would prove to be excellent come playoff time with his experience and face-off mastery. But the contract....

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 08:50 PM
thevoice

It would definitely fit our mold of trading good players and bringing them back when they're done. Classic Philly move, and not just the Flyers.

Maybe we could even revisit the biggest Flyer debacle of all time and bring Chris Gratton back!

thevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 08:53 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Honestly, last few games Brindy plays really good.

He will retire as a Cane. He belongs here.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 08:54 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
If he gets bought out, I'd take him back in an instant. Even if he's 4th line fodder, the intangibles he brings are invaluable. And maybe he'd teach us to be better on the faceoff dot.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:36 PM
DickTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
If he gets bought out, I'd take him back in an instant. Even if he's 4th line fodder, the intangibles he brings are invaluable. And maybe he'd teach us to be better on the faceoff dot.
This. His contract is the only negative of bringing him back here. One of my all time favorite Flyers. I can't even begin to imagine how much he could show Richards in a short stint here.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
I agree with this. He has to be bought out first, and I don't think Jim Rutherford would do that to him. They want him to retire with the Canes as much as some of us would like to see him retire here. Rod, Rutherford, nor anyone else wants to see him go out the same way Ron Francis did, but then again Laviolette did win a Cup with him, so I'm sure he could make it work as long as everyone else would want to make it work.

We've seen with some other guys too have kind of a career rebirth when they move to another team. Look at guys like Recchi and Roenick. 2 years ago we thought these guys were out of gas, finished, kaput.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 10:01 PM
mercury

Quote:

He still sounds a little bitter. I look back on that trade and still wonder about the center-for-center thing, too.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:43 AM
zamboni88

I saw an interview with him where he talked about the trade. He was called by his new coach, not Clarke. He was ****ing pissed that Flyers did not have the decency to let him know he had been traded.

2.30 of this clip....

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7z...t-2-of-2_sport

Last edited by zamboni88: 01-25-2010 at 12:58 AM.
zamboni88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:25 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Clarke wanted to trade Lindros instead of Brind'Amour
But Snider turned it down and traded Brind'Amour instead.
I never forgave Clarke for that trade.
I also believe the reprussions from that trade resulted in Tocchet and Lindros fighting either shortly before or after the deal.
God I cant believe its been over 10 years.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:17 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
If we acquired him now the cap wouldn't be too bad. Over half the season has gone by so it would be less than 1.8.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:35 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
If we acquired him now the cap wouldn't be too bad. Over half the season has gone by so it would be less than 1.8.
He's signed for next season though

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:39 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:

He'd make a great assistant coach.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:57 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
The reason why he's minus 24 is because of the fact that he's in the 4th line with players that are not as talented and skilled as he is. I really don't pay much attention to plus/minus stats. He also went downhill after Laviolette left Carolina, maybe if he went under his wing again he will pick his game back up. Coaching impacts a player greatly and if you disagree just look at the way the flyers have been playing lately.
No, it has nothing to do with who he is playing with. The "4th liners" he is playing with are -6 (yelle) and -3 (Dwyer). Over the past 2 seasons, he has played on multiple lines. The reason he is on the 4th line is because he has been terrible and the -24 is a true indication of his play (not the other way around). I agree that +/- is a misleading stat, but in this case, it is valid.

Physically he has lost a couple of steps, but what surprises me is the mental aspect of his game has dropped so far. Almost every game you see a number of really bad passes (blind passes to the middle of the rink, etc..) and bad penalties by Brindy.

Maybe the knee injury was too much to recover from (or recovery is taking much longer than expected) or maybe age is catching up with him, but Rod has been really bad the last two years (both when Lavi was here and with Maurice).

He still remains a popular player here in Carolina and has actually played better the last couple of games so hopefully he can keep that up. If anyone (even the Flyers) takes him with his contract, I'd be surprised.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 08:43 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I agree with this. He has to be bought out first, and I don't think Jim Rutherford would do that to him. They want him to retire with the Canes as much as some of us would like to see him retire here. Rod, Rutherford, nor anyone else wants to see him go out the same way Ron Francis did, but then again Laviolette did win a Cup with him, so I'm sure he could make it work as long as everyone else would want to make it work.

We've seen with some other guys too have kind of a career rebirth when they move to another team. Look at guys like Recchi and Roenick. 2 years ago we thought these guys were out of gas, finished, kaput.
Yeah, I'd be absolutely ecstatic to see Brind'amour have a rebirth, even if it's not with us. I'm crossing my fingers here. Could the Flyers trade a pick for the Canes to buy him out?

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Yeah, I'd be absolutely ecstatic to see Brind'amour have a rebirth, even if it's not with us. I'm crossing my fingers here. Could the Flyers trade a pick for the Canes to buy him out?

No. The Flyers don't have any picks to trade. Brind'Amour is done.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:23 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

His cap his is way too much for him to come back. Plus, we don't really have a spot for him as Betts is our "Brind'Amour type of guy" right now.

If we are going to make a move, I'd like to get a winger who can shoot or solid defenseman.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 06:07 PM
captainpaxil

i think him getting bought out is a when not an if. hes said before he doesnt want to retire and i believe he has a ntc.theyd have to move thier 1st rd pick possibly 1st overall to get somebody to eat his salary. given his history with both the flyers and laviolette hed be a natural fit. if you bring him in its 100% about the intangibles. the way hes been playing the past two years is just horrendous slightly better than cote for 3.6 mil. getting stripped of the c and consequently bought out may just be the humbling experience a guy with his kind of ego needs to adjust his attitude. id be all for bringing him in.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 06:55 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

If he wants to sign with this team for cheap when he's a FA I'd gladly take him. I loved Brindy, but I'm not willing to cause more issues with the cap on this team unless they can easily make it work.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote