HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Demise of Gagne

Old
01-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Mgkibbles

vCash: 500
The Demise of Gagne

Since the 1999-2000 season Gagne has been a top line staple for the Flyers with 20+ goals in 7 of his 9 seasons in orange and black. One of those 20+ goals seasons came last year when he seemed to have rebounded from a concussion plagued 2007-2008 season by netting 34 goals, however during this past off-season Gagne's injury bug appeared once again causing a slow start, a surgery, and most recently a disappearance.

Since returning on December 19th Gagne has registered 14 points (5 goals 9 assists) in 19 games which doesn't seem to outlandish considering Simon is coming off an injury that required surgery, however when taking into account 3 of those goals and one of those assists came in a blow out win over the Rangers on December 30th the numbers begin to look a bit mediocre (10 points in 18 games). Also since the hat trick against the Rangers Gagne has only scored once in the past 12 games (2 if you count the Pens goal ). Gagne's recent below standards play became even more evident yesterday during the 2-1 loss to the Pens. Gagne had numerous opportunities to create potent scoring chances on a replacement goalie only to squander them by missing the net, hitting the post, or fanning on shots. Additionally Simon literally cost the team a goal when he lost his cool immediately following a weak hit from Malkin.

In my opinion Laviolette should look to move Gagne down in the line combos. I believe injuries have finally caught up to Gagne and at this point he resembles a 3rd line player more than a 1st line player.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:12 AM
MsWoof

I think he needs to be dropped to the 3rd line and they can put JvR up with Richards. Right now, Carter is hot and Hartnell is playing well but they can't stay hot forever and as nice as it is to have the occasional goal from the third and 4th lines, we need our top line to score. Gagne just isn't doing it even though Richards is constantly setting him up.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
He has certainly diminished. You don't get hurt that many times without it seriously affecting your game (when you factor in the training time lost as well as the injuries themselves). Hopefully he really kicks his butt into shape during the offseason so he can come into the season in good condition.

His scoring woes I think stem from the Richards line turning into another checking line.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Since the 1999-2000 season Gagne has been a top line staple for the Flyers with 20+ goals in 7 of his 9 seasons in orange and black. One of those 20+ goals seasons came last year when he seemed to have rebounded from a concussion plagued 2007-2008 season by netting 34 goals, however during this past off-season Gagne's injury bug appeared once again causing a slow start, a surgery, and most recently a disappearance.

Since returning on December 19th Gagne has registered 14 points (5 goals 9 assists) in 19 games which doesn't seem to outlandish considering Simon is coming off an injury that required surgery, however when taking into account 3 of those goals and one of those assists came in a blow out win over the Rangers on December 30th the numbers begin to look a bit mediocre (10 points in 18 games). Also since the hat trick against the Rangers Gagne has only scored once in the past 12 games (2 if you count the Pens goal ). Gagne's recent below standards play became even more evident yesterday during the 2-1 loss to the Pens. Gagne had numerous opportunities to create potent scoring chances on a replacement goalie only to squander them by missing the net, hitting the post, or fanning on shots. Additionally Simon literally cost the team a goal when he lost his cool immediately following a weak hit from Malkin.

In my opinion Laviolette should look to move Gagne down in the line combos. I believe injuries have finally caught up to Gagne and at this point he resembles a 3rd line player more than a 1st line player.
Have to disagree. He looks more like a struggling top player. He is getting an unreal amount of chances and not doing anything with them. I think at first it was a timing thing and now may be a confidence issue. He is still a 30 goal scorer. Hes not even old.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:14 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I think he needs to be dropped to the 3rd line and they can put JvR up with Richards. Right now, Carter is hot and Hartnell is playing well but they can't stay hot forever and as nice as it is to have the occasional goal from the third and 4th lines, we need our top line to score. Gagne just isn't doing it even though Richards is constantly setting him up.
You have to leave JVR on the third line. He needs to be in a low pressure role. Next year is different, but we really need to bring this guy along nice and easy.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Have to disagree. He looks more like a struggling top player. He is getting an unreal amount of chances and not doing anything with them. I think at first it was a timing thing and now may be a confidence issue. He is still a 30 goal scorer. Hes not even old.
I worry about Gagne. I'd have no issue putting him in a lesser role. He's probably a guy that is on the list to be shopped in the off-season to make the cap work next season.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Talbetts

I would be open to this, or you could just swap Gags and Harts. I have always liked Hartnell with Richards and wanted to see Gagne with Carter.

Hartnell - Richards - Powe/Giroux
Gagne - Carter - Briere

or

Hartnell - Richards - Carter/Briere/Powe
Gagne - Giroux - JVR (has he played RW?)

or

JVR - Richards - Carter
Gagne - Giroux - Briere
Hartnell - Powe - Asham/Carcillo

or we could leave em how they are / trade one of Gagne or Hartnell??

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:22 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Seems like he's lost a step this year, looks more tentative, hopefully the break will do him some good.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
The thing that hasn't diminished on Simon is his smarts. He will always be one of the more intelligent players on the ice, like yesterday during a line change the puck was dumped in on goal and instead of going off on the change Gagne saw the puck was going to be played by the goalie so he went in to pressure causing Johnson to hold the puck giving the Flyers an offensive zone draw. That hockey sense is the reason he gets so many scoring chances, but the skills just don't seem to be there anymore to capitalize on them. Also at 29 Gagne shouldn't be considered old, but remember this is already his 10th season, and hes played in 633 games, thats a lot even without the serious injuries hes sustained.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
The thing that hasn't diminished on Simon is his smarts. He will always be one of the more intelligent players on the ice, like yesterday during a line change the puck was dumped in on goal and instead of going off on the change Gagne saw the puck was going to be played by the goalie so he went in to pressure causing Johnson to hold the puck giving the Flyers an offensive zone draw. That hockey sense is the reason he gets so many scoring chances, but the skills just don't seem to be there anymore to capitalize on them. Also at 29 Gagne shouldn't be considered old, but remember this is already his 10th season, and hes played in 633 games, thats a lot even without the serious injuries hes sustained.
Well, turning around after the hit from Malkin and grabbing him was pretty stupid on Gagne's part. Never retaliate when you have puck possession in the offensive zone.

Old
01-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieHexBergEry View Post

Gagne - Giroux - Briere
i would love to see this as the second line

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:04 AM
DUHockey9

I don't see the "demise" of Gagne at all. I really don't.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Me either. It's been a few weeks of missed chances...a lot of chances. Carter was doing the same thing earlier this year, and I'd like to think if Carter's fortune can turn Gagne's good enough to do it too.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:12 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
You have to leave JVR on the third line. He needs to be in a low pressure role. Next year is different, but we really need to bring this guy along nice and easy.
We're fighting for a spot in the playoffs, though. I don't think there's any harm in trying him for a few games to see how he responds.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Ellas64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Well, turning around after the hit from Malkin and grabbing him was pretty stupid on Gagne's part. Never retaliate when you have puck possession in the offensive zone.
Yeah that was kind of weird...I don't know if anyone else saw that, but wasn't that kind of gay? I was at the game and most of the fans there thought they were going to kiss on the ice...

Ellas64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:22 PM
DayoftheGreek

Quote:
I agree. He came out flying after returning from his injury and has generally played well since.

DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek View Post
I agree. He came out flying after returning from his injury and has generally played well since.
I don't think he's the same old Gagne, but he's definitely still good. The only argument I think anyone could hypothetically make is that he's not lost a step, but that his missed opportunities of late aren't bad luck but resulting from having lost some off his shot.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Cleary84

He's getting the chances, he's just not turning them into anything. After the Olympic break we can ***** if it's his "demise".

I'm just praying that he starts lighting it up during playoff time, that's all I want from Gags.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Jester

Quote:
Well, Gagne is sensitive to hits to the head after his concussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellas64 View Post
Yeah that was kind of weird...I don't know if anyone else saw that, but wasn't that kind of gay? I was at the game and most of the fans there thought they were going to kiss on the ice...
I'm sure he's telling him off for the high hit.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:57 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

Yea exactly. IIRC this is the 3rd time I've seen Gagne get heated after what he feels is a hit to his head. For being an extremely peaceful guy, it's strange seeing him get so fired up.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:07 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Yea exactly. IIRC this is the 3rd time I've seen Gagne get heated after what he feels is a hit to his head. For being an extremely peaceful guy, it's strange seeing him get so fired up.
Why is it strange?

This is his career and his livelihood. He has a wife and a kid now. If someone was threatening to take that all away from me just because they get their jollies by throwing shots along the boards, I'd be pretty annoyed too.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:39 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Why is it strange?

This is his career and his livelihood. He has a wife and a kid now. If someone was threatening to take that all away from me just because they get their jollies by throwing shots along the boards, I'd be pretty annoyed too.
I don't think he's saying it's strange that he would get mad about it, he's just saying it's strange seeing him get fired up.

Gagne almost never gets all that heated, historically speaking...so it is weird seeing him go after guys like that, now. Not saying I don't understand completely, but it is not characteristic.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

As a multiple concussion sufferer myself, I understand...still, have to pick your spots better.

Old
01-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I feel bad for Simon, might find this hard to believe, but he's one of my favorite players. Was always a fan and it's a shame his career has been curtailed because he had/has the potential to be a beauty.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Jester

Quote:
As a multiple concussion sufferer myself, I understand...still, have to pick your spots better.
Well, that's not even picking spots...it looks like instinctual response from him at this point. It isn't like Gagne is the most physical guys, and he's snapped on a couple of guys now (as noted). Not going to get on him about that too much given the history there. Hell, he publicly called out Holmgren for not being more aggressive at the GM meetings with relation to headshots. For him, it's very personal at this point.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote