HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Staal or Kopitar?

View Poll Results: Who do you draft in 05 knowing what you do today
Staal 28 22.76%
Kopitar 95 77.24%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
Knowing what we know now at the time of the draft, you take Kopitar.

If you just give the Rangers the 12th pick again, with no knowledge of how the future of the team would shake out, and have Kopitar and Staal both there, I think we still take Staal.
maybe...id need to remember who we had in the system at that point, and how highly they were thought of...did we have any stud defensive prospects? if not, then you definitely take Staal....wasnt Jessiman looked at as a legit possibility back then? maybe thats why Kopitar would be passed on?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:44 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Because the question was about the past rather than the present...kinda like the butterfly effect. If they take Kopitar with pick 1, how does that effect the rest of their picks? Do they still take Tom Pyatt in the 4th round? or do they try to get another defenseman? Does Tom Pyatt not being taken effect the Rangers ability to trade Scott Gomez away? Does that affect the ability to sign Gaborik?

I dunno, maybe im overthinking it...i tend to do so with time anomalies...its the Star Trek nerd in me
Hmm, when you put it like that, it really makes me realize how pointless this thread really is

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:48 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Kopitar and it's not close for me.
Me too.

Staal is solid, but I think hes overrated a bit by the Rangers fanbase.

Kopitar is the elite center we are missing.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:26 PM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
So, I was looking at the 2005 draft and it got me thinking. Assuming the Kings passed on Kopitar and knowing what we do today, who do you draft? Staal or Kopitar?

This is a hypothetical. If your going to waste our time posting things like "But they did draft Kopitar" don't even post here

I think I still draft Staal. This team would have serious problems without Staal for the last 3 years.
The real hypothetical is this.

If the Kings had passed on Kopitar, it's almost certain that they'd have taken Staal. Do we still trade up, or roll the dice to see if Kopitar falls to 16?

Furthermore, where does that leave us down the road? With Kopitar in tow, does Sanguinetti get rushed? Does he even get drafted (Claude Giroux?)? By 2007, are we even in position to draft a falling star like Cherepanov, or are we looking at more of the Ellerby/Sutter/McDonagh chunk?

Too many variables at hand to really look at this. Especially with that particular part of the draft. If the Canucks had actually gone with BoB, they'd have Kopi, the Kings would have Staal....would we have had Luc Bourdon?

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 01:53 AM
darko

While I love Staal's game and potential I would take Kopitar over Staal any day of the week. Stastny v Staal is close though, slight edge to Staal.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 03:15 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I find it kind of funny that Kopitar's game has been marginal without Ryan Smyth.

What's Kopitar's game in NY? Probably subpar.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 04:16 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I would probably go for the safer pick, which would make it Staal for me.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 04:18 AM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
How many #1 D-Men are in the league... How important are they when you have Crosby, Malkin, Richards, Carter, Elias etc.. etc..
Staal is not in the league of the players listed there. Kopitar has the kind of skill that Staal would need to be listed among the "elite."

Regardless of whether or not the Rangers had a Crosby, Malkin, Richards, etc. (which they did not, by the way, when making the pick), knowing what we know of Kopitar today, the clear choice, by a country mile, is Kopitar.

I stand by my statement regarding an exercise in home-grown player bias.

Khelvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:39 AM
otto1219

kopitar is filthy, not even close.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:44 AM
The Mouth

Staal. Staal is a already a shutdown defenseman at 23 who is having his best offensive season on a offensively challenged team. His fuse should be shorter, hopefully one day he will show some meaness.

Kopitar is no slouch either but you take that western conference style and an always offense first L.A King team, put Kopitar on the Rangers and his impact drops dramatically. Anze is streaky. But I love his size and skill.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:55 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Stastny v Staal is close though, slight edge to Staal.
Allow me to make this more interesting:

Stastny posted 78 points (in 82 games) as a rookie in 2006-2007. If he is on the Ranger roster at that time, it's a safe bet that one of Gomez or Drury is not signed to his ridiculous deal.

If it's a choice between Staal and Stastny plus the erasure of Drury's cap hit, which way then?

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:59 AM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Kopitar is no slouch either but you take that western conference style and an always offense first L.A King team, put Kopitar on the Rangers and his impact drops dramatically. Anze is streaky. But I love his size and skill.
the extremely defensive Western conference and one man forecheck Terry Murray coached Kings?

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:50 AM
chosen

I would trade Gaborik for Kopitar so you probably know my answer to the original question.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 06:19 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
If it's a choice between Staal and Stastny plus the erasure of Drury's cap hit, which way then?

That's a whole new ballgame. Staal (Stall) easily.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Koptiar for me. Much harder to find a #1 center than it is a defensive d-man. Especially one with that combination of size and skill.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:56 PM
The Mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
the extremely defensive Western conference and one man forecheck Terry Murray coached Kings?
\
Yep that historically wide open Conference that Kopitar has been playing for in his four years as a King. Only one and a half under Murray. That One.

Old
01-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Zil

The people chiming about Stastny are missing something. We could have had both of those guys. We drafted Sauer before Colorado took Stastny.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 03:51 AM
Grifter3511

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
\
Yep that historically wide open Conference that Kopitar has been playing for in his four years as a King. Only one and a half under Murray. That One.
Actually the east is more wide open. When you say 'historically' you must be referring to gretzky era oilers and before. Since the mid 90's, with the exception of the devils, the east has been notoriously more offensive minded. Until henrik sedin this year the east pretty consistently has the art Ross winners and runner ups. Forsberg in the early 2000s is the only one that comes to mind. For the longest time the southeast was absolute crap, and for the most part it still is. Always one good team and the rest are terrible. With the ridiculous schedule in place the east has feasted on that **** show of a division for a while now.

In today's game there is definitely more of a focus on defense out west.

As for the thread topic, nyr fans might be biased, but I also thnk a lot of you probably don't see much hockey other than the home team. Some ppl in here are definitely overrating kopitar. Lots of talent but major consistency issues. Defenseman also traditionally take longer to develop.

Grifter3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 04:54 AM
The Mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter3511 View Post
Actually the east is more wide open. When you say 'historically' you must be referring to gretzky era oilers and before. Since the mid 90's, with the exception of the devils, the east has been notoriously more offensive minded. Until henrik sedin this year the east pretty consistently has the art Ross winners and runner ups. Forsberg in the early 2000s is the only one that comes to mind. For the longest time the southeast was absolute crap, and for the most part it still is. Always one good team and the rest are terrible. With the ridiculous schedule in place the east has feasted on that **** show of a division for a while now.

In today's game there is definitely more of a focus on defense out west.

As for the thread topic, nyr fans might be biased, but I also thnk a lot of you probably don't see much hockey other than the home team. Some ppl in here are definitely overrating kopitar. Lots of talent but major consistency issues. Defenseman also traditionally take longer to develop.
After further review I stand corrected.

Old
01-25-2010, 07:54 AM
Vitto79

obviously because of this year it's Kopitar but I would'nt want to trade Staal

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:48 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Are you ****ing kidding me? How can the answer not be Kopitar?

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I'm crazy, somehow I think this team will find a #1 center some day, so i'd keep Staal and take my chances. He'll be a rock back there for years. In a division with Crosby, Malkin, Richards, Parise, Tavares i'll take the defense now

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:19 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'm crazy, somehow I think this team will find a #1 center some day, so i'd keep Staal and take my chances. He'll be a rock back there for years. In a division with Crosby, Malkin, Richards, Parise, Tavares i'll take the defense now
I can understand why you say that. Just look at how many #1 centers that have played for the Rangers in recent memory.

Staal might become Kevin Lowe eventaully, if he's very lucky. While Kopitar won't be Messier (how many are?), name centers on the Rangers in the last 40 years that you would take over Kopitar.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:39 AM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
Absolutely. This will be an exercise in blatant home-grown player bias.
not really kopitar is winning by a landslide....i also voted for kopitar....i dont understand how you dont vote for him

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 04:31 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
The people chiming about Stastny are missing something. We could have had both of those guys. We drafted Sauer before Colorado took Stastny.
Oh believe me, I'm not missing that at all. It's something I think about quite often.

Let's hope Sauer turns into something. It's already a safe bet we'd never get Stastny for him in a one-for-one deal.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote