HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Send AA to the AHL During Olympic Break

Old
01-25-2010, 10:28 AM
lotus

vCash: 500
I'll be shocked if it doesn't happen. Wouldn't make much sense to have them sitting around when they could be getting extra ice time.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:29 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post

it makes perfect sense to send AA, Gilroy, and anyone else that's eligible to go down to Hartford, to hartford for the break.
Absolutely. It, however, is not what Brook's article pointing out. Not quite. It implies that Rangers is bad place to be.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:32 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
the first quote by the OP from Brooks suggests that things are so messed up here that it's actually going to hurt AA's development to continue to play here. His main point may be that it'd be good for AA's confidence and that you could do it during the olympic break, but not without a subtle jab to this team. Not to say it isn't dsyfunctional, but I always think writers and readers both tend to baby along rookies when it comes to how they develop. Anisimov's a big boy, just like Del Zotto, and Gilroy, and any other rookie you want to talk about. If they're anywhere close to levelheaded they'll understand this team is not your ideal team and not let it alter how good they're going to be in the future.

Some people make it seem like if there's a handful of players on the Rangers that don't care, AA's going to say to himself "Well, I guess this is how the NHL is" and start not giving a crap. It's not the first time any of these guys have played on a team before.

That being said, it makes perfect sense to send AA, Gilroy, and anyone else that's eligible to go down to Hartford, to hartford for the break. I'm not sure if the salary cap would be affected at all either, but we saved some money on Gilroy's cap hit by sending him down earlier this year...
Good post. Agree 100% - both about the overblown concern for his development and attitude at the NHL level with this team AND the fact that you might as well send him down during the break to keep his game in shape.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Midnight85

Send a message via AIM to Midnight85 Send a message via MSN to Midnight85
I may be in the minority, but I'd like to see them simply rest Anisimov and Del Zotto for the Olympic break.

Let them kick back with there families recharge there mental and physical batteries, and I think you'd see them come back better than before.

Midnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:56 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

I see both sides of the fence on this one, but I don't send AA to the minors. After 40+ games at the NHL level and a lot of it playing on the 3rd line with less than gifted wingers, I think it might actually erode his confidence further to send him back to Hartford. I don't think it's the right move. Stick with the youth movement and let him struggle through it like everyone else. The biggest cancer in the Rangers locker room is Larry Brooks. If anyone should go to the minors it should be Redden.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Kid is going to need to see if he can play at this level at some point, and its hard to argue that he is physically immature or that there is anything to improve by sending him to Hartford. So what if he has only a 10 goal 25 point rookie campaign? At least he has that experience under his belt.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:22 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Sure, send him down during the Olympics..but he better be right back with the Rangers when that break is over.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:25 AM
NYR Viper

I definitely dont want Gilroy going down. He played about 40 games the past 4 years in college and is expected to play 82+(hopefully) this season. Having him play another 10 would be asking for him to get hurt from being just too run down.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:26 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I'd rather have him rest considering that the Rangers have 20 games in 41 days to finish out the season.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:29 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight85 View Post
I may be in the minority, but I'd like to see them simply rest Anisimov and Del Zotto for the Olympic break.

Let them kick back with there families recharge there mental and physical batteries, and I think you'd see them come back better than before.
I'm with you. The kids that have been here all season playing the same compressed schedule as the rest of the team have earned the right -- perhaps even more than others -- to rest and recharge during the break. People here may think the Rangers won't be making a push for the playoffs, but if you think the organization is just going to give up on the promise of playoff revenue -- especially in the wide-open Eastern Conference race -- you're fooling yourself. Anisimov, Gilroy, Del Zotto have earned the right to be a part of that push an deserve the opportunity to rest up for it.

The mere suggestion of exiling any of them to get them away from some mythical "dysfunction" in the locker room is assanine. Then again, it is Larry Brooks who's talking.

Anisimov may not be contributing offensively at the moment (and apart from two fluke games, who is?) but he's become a steady contributor in his own zone and his all-around game has continued to progress.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Fletch

A 21 year old who plays 12 minutes per night needs a rest while 35 year olds playing 20 minutes per night will play in the Olympics? The Pack play 7 games during the Olympics - no crime getting the kid in a couple games close to March 2nd.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Midnight85

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
I'm with you. The kids that have been here all season playing the same compressed schedule as the rest of the team have earned the right -- perhaps even more than others -- to rest and recharge during the break. People here may think the Rangers won't be making a push for the playoffs, but if you think the organization is just going to give up on the promise of playoff revenue -- especially in the wide-open Eastern Conference race -- you're fooling yourself. Anisimov, Gilroy, Del Zotto have earned the right to be a part of that push an deserve the opportunity to rest up for it.

The mere suggestion of exiling any of them to get them away from some mythical "dysfunction" in the locker room is assanine. Then again, it is Larry Brooks who's talking.

Anisimov may not be contributing offensively at the moment (and apart from two fluke games, who is?) but he's become a steady contributor in his own zone and his all-around game has continued to progress.
Exactly my thinking, and these three in particular can not be used to a full NHL schedule, let alone a compressed NHL schedule.

If you've seen Anisimov, Del Zotto, and Gilroy's play decline a little bit since early on, I think fatigue should be looked at as a major factor.

And I think on top of all that, even with the "dysfunction" the playoffs are still the goal for the organization, and without maximizing the efforts of those three key contributors, the playoffs are a long shot at best.

Old
01-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Midnight85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
A 21 year old who plays 12 minutes per night needs a rest while 35 year olds playing 20 minutes per night will play in the Olympics? The Pack play 7 games during the Olympics - no crime getting the kid in a couple games close to March 2nd.
Those 35 year olds have played this schedule for 10-15 years now, they're used to it, their bodies of adjusted to the riggers of NHL life.

The youngsters played less games (except Anismiov who played a full pro schedule) at a far slower pace.

Old
01-25-2010, 12:07 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:

How did you feel a few seasons ago when they sent Callahan down? To be honest, I was against that when it happened, but obviously they made the right call in that regard.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:10 PM
94now

Quote:

Years of reading Brooks convinced me he is right in most of his asinine suggestions. He has problem with accuracy in his "conventional" thinking.
He speculates as he promised to Torts, but my impression is that he wants the kid out of troubled team as much as getting his confidence back. That makes it different from Callahan stint with Packs, which was a routine thing.

Old
01-25-2010, 12:11 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
How did you feel a few seasons ago when they sent Callahan down? To be honest, I was against that when it happened, but obviously they made the right call in that regard.
Why it was right? What is the difference again?

Old
01-25-2010, 01:17 PM
The Thomas J.*

Not a bad idea. I would send down who ever Is eligible down to work on there games
Posted via Mobile Device

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:46 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Not a bad idea. I would send down who ever Is eligible down to work on there games
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly. Every single player that can be sent down should be sent down for a number of reasons.

1) Playing time. Won't get rusty sitting on there ***** watching the Olympics.

2) Helps with saving room for the salary cap this year if we decide to add anybody.

3) Gives our great fan-base in Hartford a chance to see some NHL players.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:52 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Exactly. Every single player that can be sent down should be sent down for a number of reasons.

1) Playing time. Won't get rusty sitting on there ***** watching the Olympics.

2) Helps with saving room for the salary cap this year if we decide to add anybody.

3) Gives our great fan-base in Hartford a chance to see some NHL players.
You seem to be unaware that Rangers do not go home, they will have practices as usual. There only will be no games.

Old
01-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Fletch

I thought they get a break for a bit then return to practice.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:05 PM
John Torturella

Sounds like a good idea. Might get his confidence up

But one could easily argue that an 82 game season is enough and that Artem could use the Olympic break to rest and gear up for the stretch run.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Nyrvana

I don't understand what AA playing at AHL is going to do for his game? He plays down there for 2 weeks and gets used to the slower pace and comes back up and is behind. Personally, I much rather him take some much needed days off. Relax, and just go to practice.

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
So is Brooks allowed at the post game interviews anymore? I don't think I cought him at the last one.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:56 PM
savebyrichter420

How about just leaving the Dubi Christ Gabby line together, make Drury the center of your 3rd line since he is our best faceoff man and is near the top of the league in blocked shots etc. and giving Anisimov more ice time with a solid offensive vet like Prospal on his line to get him going and give him some direction, I think it would do more for his confidence than demoting him to a league he has already dominated.

And bringing up Locke instead, screw you Larry, epic fail

savebyrichter420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 03:12 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I thought they get a break for a bit then return to practice.
Yeah, break could be afforded as usual, but
some make it look like there will be a vacation. They will work and so will AA should he stay. Brooks suggest to take him out of "infectious " environment, whatever that means. I interpret the "infection" as KHL. I see Kotalik as one who can spread it to Russians. That is why Brooks wants AA out of there. That's not about all eligibles, just some.