HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Goalie Chest Protector

Old
01-21-2010, 08:15 PM
jcole2

vCash: 500
Goalie Chest Protector

I am new to goaltending and I find that I am getting many bruises on my chest and belly from stops. My chest protector is kind of old (I got it second hand). I am not trying to sound like a baby, I can deal with the hits, I am just wondering if the bruising is a normal occurrence or should I be looking for a new chest protector.

jcole2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Pog Form

I'm not a goalie, so I can't speak from personal experience, but I think you may want to look into investing in some new uppers. I can't imagine you're supposed to be getting hurt on a regular basis making routine saves.

I'm interested to hear some goalies chime in.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Gino 14

Get yourself another chest protector. When I first started playing I had a fairly good protector and didn't think a lot about it. After a couple years I upgrades and was amazed at the difference in protection, night and day. Or, in your case, bruises or no bruises. Be prepared to spend some money.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 01:31 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Definitely get a new one, you really should not be bruising like that. Its a shame, because I would have sold you mine, I bought an Itech X-wing pro chest protector, only wore it twice, and JUST sold it on ebay because it was just a little too bulky for my style, the thing was a tank.

Im in an RBK Xpulse Pro chest protector now, and I love it because of the mobility, but as far as taking up net space, its not nearly as good as the Itech, but I still prefer the flexibility. Finally got one after using my old koho for 8yrs. Its in pretty good condition for that old and has pro protection, don't know if youre interested or not.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:45 AM
densetsu

When I first started out, bruising was a regular occurrence for me. Every game I'd have a fresh one, usually on the arms. I had cheaped out on my C/A and bought a really old Bauer Reactor one, which was probably 10+ years old.

The adrenaline usually takes care of any pain, and at first it was kinda cool to be all bruised up, but the novelty wore off pretty fast.

If price is an issue, a new senior-level C/A can be bought for $150 - $200 and will give you much more protection than it sounds like you're getting. If you want to bump it up a bit, smaller companies (Don Simmons, Battram) make pro-level C/A's for a very good price as well. No need to lay down $700 for a top-of-the-line brand-name Brown C/A.

I personally use a RBK 5K C/A -- a senior-level piece of gear -- and get a stinger once every 10 games or so. A bruise maybe a couple times a year. It was night and day compared to that 10-year-old C/A I had before.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote