HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it time for a new Captain?

View Poll Results: Who would you like to see named Captain of the NY Rangers
Drury- I wouldn't change a thing 27 19.29%
Avery- I like living on the edge 18 12.86%
Lundqvist- He is the Keystone 36 25.71%
Gaborik- Good at hockey 15 10.71%
Other- Callahan, Jagr, Kovulchuk? 44 31.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-25-2010, 12:42 PM
pld459666

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Interesting that when they ended their playoff drought they didn't have a captain.
No Captain correct, but make no mistake about it, there was a Leader on this team.

You know it as well as I do.

Now we have a Captain and no leader.

That is the problem.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:50 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
I don't think goaltenders are allowed to wear a C or A.

Either way, even if they are, I don't want him having to leave the crease, go talk to the ref, go to the bench, and then go back to the crease.. kinda a pain to do that. (and that's the reason why I think goalies can't have a C/A)

I'd like to make avery C/A since he plays with heart, but I don't want him talking to the refs.... I want him talking to other players (both on our side and the opponents). The last person I want talking to the refs about a call is someone who's hot headed
They can't wear the C on their Jersey, but they can on their helmet.

Check out Loungo.

Old
01-25-2010, 12:54 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
They can't wear the C on their Jersey, but they can on their helmet.

Check out Loungo.
It's pretty much just an honorary thing when a Goalie's wearing a C.

Hell, it's pretty much an honorary thing no matter how you look at it. There's so many teams who's true captain doesn't wear the C, there's so many leaders that don't have letters...I'm not trying to say leadership isn't important, and of course it's important to have the right players wearing the letters, but it doesn't matter who wears the letters on this team. Outcome is the same, if not worse if we change it.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:55 PM
pld459666

Ultimately any and all talk about the structure of this team changeing begins and ends with the GM Glen Sather.

Old
01-25-2010, 12:55 PM
DutchShamrock

I am far from a Drury basher but in my opinion he is faultering.

When no one steps up to the plate against Philly and Montreal, or half of the games this season, it falls on the Captain to get the job done. I don't care if he isn't a fighter, he has to show the way. Even Crosby comes to the aid of teammates and drops them when necessary. Drury could have made a big statement and fired up the team after Carcillo's fight. I don't even think he had to fight Carcillo necessarily, he could have squared off with Richards, Carter or Briere. At the very least, he should have responded with a physical and punishing shift. Instead it is Avery with all the answers pretty much by himself.

Of course, this isn't the only issue but I do see it as a building probably. Just my 2 cents.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:58 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
It's pretty much just an honorary thing when a Goalie's wearing a C.

Hell, it's pretty much an honorary thing no matter how you look at it. There's so many teams who's true captain doesn't wear the C, there's so many leaders that don't have letters...I'm not trying to say leadership isn't important, and of course it's important to have the right players wearing the letters, but it doesn't matter who wears the letters on this team. Outcome is the same, if not worse if we change it.
Understood, but I believe the Canucks hald a presser to announce Roberto as their official captain.

The Org. recognizes him as their Captain, the team does as well.

But to a certain extent, I agree. there are players on teams that could be Captain that are not.

Old
01-25-2010, 01:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Ultimately any and all talk about the structure of this team changeing begins and ends with the GM Glen Sather.
Exactly. Give me a new coach, a new GM and a new owner and then I'll consider a new captain.

01-25-2010, 01:06 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
this team lacks consistent scoring and a consistent effort from the d-men. No captain can help, unfortunately, since the team is loaded with average players.
Loaded with average players. I agree. But there are teams just as average that smoke the Rangers. Its one thing to lose. It happens. Rangers look really bad in some of these games. Its not just the talent pool. Its a disconnect in the way they play and they way they support each other.

The coach runs his systems, or tries. But the guys have to want to win together and they just don't show it on a regular basis

I'm not trying to bash Drury Im just thinking they should try something else.

Listen to Avery... omg he is the voice of this team. Thats crazy but omg it is so true. And he pretty much has average skills and size, but he has passion and you can see and feel it.

I feel nothing from Drury.... yeah Im just a fan listening to soundbites and watching the play on the gamedays. A frustrated fan with an internet connection.

01-25-2010, 01:09 PM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
Some may disagree but Marian Gaborik should be the captain.

You want your team to look up to the captain for inspiration.

I can only wonder what makes Drury a top candidate for captain when he does nothing above average. shoot, score, check, fight. etc...

The man seems to be one of the quietest players on the bench and his play on the ice is not leading by example.

We can all rest assured of one thing.....He will not let it ruin his weekend.

rangerfan_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:15 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
I am far from a Drury basher but in my opinion he is faultering.

When no one steps up to the plate against Philly and Montreal, or half of the games this season, it falls on the Captain to get the job done. I don't care if he isn't a fighter, he has to show the way. Even Crosby comes to the aid of teammates and drops them when necessary. Drury could have made a big statement and fired up the team after Carcillo's fight. I don't even think he had to fight Carcillo necessarily, he could have squared off with Richards, Carter or Briere. At the very least, he should have responded with a physical and punishing shift. Instead it is Avery with all the answers pretty much by himself.

Of course, this isn't the only issue but I do see it as a building probably. Just my 2 cents.

I am still pissed about the Carcillo and Gabby fight. That one minute of the season showed us EVERYTHING that is wrong with this team imo.

They don't have to win the cup to keep me happy. They just have to care, and they have to try hard and play like a passionate team that cares about each other and has some freakin pride for the franchise and the fans and everything else that goes into loving this team.

The correct response to Carcillo was for all hell to break loose. Grab a man and start swinging. Those benches should have been empty and the captain probably needs to lead that charge.

Anyone listening to the radio broadcast of that game heard Dave Maloney going NUTS. I thought he was going to jump the boards and take on Carcillo! Thats a captain. Thats a guy who cares and knows what to do in that situation.

Sometimes I wish he was our coach.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:27 PM
The Thomas J.*

We don't know what goes on in the locker room
Drury is not a vocal leader. Doesn't make him a bad
person who doesn't care. Nor does it make him bad captain. He May not be the right captain for the rangers. Jar was not very vocal either....but when he spoke. Had a confidence about him that was comforting.

I too liked what avery said the other night. Need a guy to step up and make the players take notice.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:30 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Loaded with average players. I agree. But there are teams just as average that smoke the Rangers. Its one thing to lose. It happens. Rangers look really bad in some of these games. Its not just the talent pool. Its a disconnect in the way they play and they way they support each other.

The coach runs his systems, or tries. But the guys have to want to win together and they just don't show it on a regular basis

I'm not trying to bash Drury Im just thinking they should try something else.

Listen to Avery... omg he is the voice of this team. Thats crazy but omg it is so true. And he pretty much has average skills and size, but he has passion and you can see and feel it.

I feel nothing from Drury.... yeah Im just a fan listening to soundbites and watching the play on the gamedays. A frustrated fan with an internet connection.

I'm home sick today so I can rant as long as I want

No. Sorry, but you're wrong. This team isn't average, it's terrible. This entire team is Lundqvist. Some people around here still don't understand that, which is sad. This team is horrible.

This team is pathetic offensively. God awful. Almost every team in the league has more overall offensive talent on their roster than this team does.

Do you not notice that this team can't develop a cycle in the offensive zone that involves all 5 players touching the puck? That's something average, and certainly good or great, teams do on a fairly consistent basis in this league. It's something the Red Wings do nearly every shift. The Rangers almost never do this. And when they do, 99% of the time they are kept to the outside and nothing ever happens.

The point of passing the puck is to create time and space. You need to pass the puck with intent to create more time and space, until you have enough time and space that you can create a scoring opportunity. The scoring opportunity, if it's decent enough, will hopefully either find the back of the net, or result in a second (sometimes third or fourth), even better opportunity.

This team simply can't do that. We have three players that are truly capable of passing the puck in any kind of advanced fashion consistently in the NHL. One of them is 19 years old, one of them is a past-his-prime veteran playing in a role he isn't suited for (being the second best forward on a team), and the third has not only been run into the ground by Johnny Torts, but is also receiving nearly all of the opponent's defensive attention each time he sets skate on the ice.

Dubinsky shows flashes of this, but he's not there yet where he can do this on a shift to shift basis. Hopefully some day. Even if you think he is, that's still 4 players. That's not enough. Not in the current NHL.

This team blows. The issue of captaincy is SO far down the list of things that cause me to worry as a Ranger fan. It's basically a non-issue. Kind of like who the coach is, to be honest. It really makes no difference who the captain is or who the coach is. This team is, from top-to-bottom, constructed entirely the wrong way. No captain can make this team win. No coach can make this team win.

This is a team full of role players and guys who don't even belong in this league. We have six players on the roster that I would never, under any circumstance, want playing in my lineup, and 3-4 of those players play every game. The silver lining is that at least some of the other players are keepers, building blocks. Too bad most of them aren't skilled offensively, which is what this team needs most of all.

Forget about the Captaincy. If you're a true hockey fan, appreciate the fact that you get to watch one of the best defensive forwards ever play every game. If you really love this sport, if you know this sport well enough, then watching Drury should be a treat for you. Ask Red Wings fans about what it's been like to watch Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby play. These guys are the best at what they do. If you want to see big hits and fancy moves, Drury never did that and he isn't going to.

The way I see it, everyone who bashes Drury because of his lack of leadership is full of it. If he was scoring 30+ goals like he did in Buffalo, no one would be bashing his leadership. If you want him to score, surround him with some talent and put him on the PP. That's what Buffalo did. The Rangers have yet to provide him with that kind of talent in three years. This year he doesn't play on the PP and he plays with scrubs. Big surprise that he isn't scoring.

There is only one place to lay the blame for this team, and it isn't in front of Drury's locker.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:35 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
This is a team full of role players and guys who don't even belong in this league. We have six players on the roster that I would never, under any circumstance, want playing in my lineup, and 3-4 of those players play every game. The silver lining is that at least some of the other players are keepers, building blocks. Too bad most of them aren't skilled offensively, which is what this team needs most of all.

There is only one place to lay the blame for this team, and it isn't in front of Drury's locker.
Like I said I'm not bashing Drury, not as a player. But this roster, whatever it is, needs stronger leadership.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:47 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:

No. Sorry, but you're wrong. This team isn't average, it's terrible. This entire team is Lundqvist. Some people around here still don't understand that, which is sad. This team is horrible.

This team is pathetic offensively. God awful. Almost every team in the league has more overall offensive talent on their roster than this team does.

Do you not notice that this team can't develop a cycle in the offensive zone that involves all 5 players touching the puck? That's something average, and certainly good or great, teams do on a fairly consistent basis in this league. It's something the Red Wings do nearly every shift. The Rangers almost never do this. And when they do, 99% of the time they are kept to the outside and nothing ever happens.

The point of passing the puck is to create time and space. You need to pass the puck with intent to create more time and space, until you have enough time and space that you can create a scoring opportunity. The scoring opportunity, if it's decent enough, will hopefully either find the back of the net, or result in a second (sometimes third or fourth), even better opportunity.

This team simply can't do that. We have three players that are truly capable of passing the puck in any kind of advanced fashion consistently in the NHL. One of them is 19 years old, one of them is a past-his-prime veteran playing in a role he isn't suited for (being the second best forward on a team), and the third has not only been run into the ground by Johnny Torts, but is also receiving nearly all of the opponent's defensive attention each time he sets skate on the ice.

Dubinsky shows flashes of this, but he's not there yet where he can do this on a shift to shift basis. Hopefully some day. Even if you think he is, that's still 4 players. That's not enough. Not in the current NHL.

This team blows. The issue of captaincy is SO far down the list of things that cause me to worry as a Ranger fan. It's basically a non-issue. Kind of like who the coach is, to be honest. It really makes no difference who the captain is or who the coach is. This team is, from top-to-bottom, constructed entirely the wrong way. No captain can make this team win. No coach can make this team win.

Forget about the Captaincy. If you're a true hockey fan, appreciate the fact that you get to watch one of the best defensive forwards ever play every game. If you really love this sport, if you know this sport well enough, then watching Drury should be a treat for you. Ask Red Wings fans about what it's been like to watch Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby play. These guys are the best at what they do. If you want to see big hits and fancy moves, Drury never did that and he isn't going to.

The way I see it, everyone who bashes Drury because of his lack of leadership is full of it. If he was scoring 30+ goals like he did in Buffalo, no one would be bashing his leadership. If you want him to score, surround him with some talent and put him on the PP. That's what Buffalo did. The Rangers have yet to provide him with that kind of talent in three years. This year he doesn't play on the PP and he plays with scrubs. Big surprise that he isn't scoring.

Unfortunately every time I see Drury I am reminded how much I want him off this team. Someone has to explain to me how he can be labeled as "one of the best defensive forwards of all time". I guess Blair Betts is the GOAT cause he was 3 notches above Drury. Also, I never understood why defensive specialists, which is what Drury has become, are viewed as better defensive players than superstars that play offense and defense. For instance, Crosby who was basically born to play hockey isnt better defensively than Drury? I could list all the attributes that Crosby has over Drury but it would be a long list.

On the offense side I certainly dont buy it. A 7 million dollar forward is supposed to carry a line. See Marian Gaborik. Also, if he played exclusively with Jagr or exclusively with Gaborik is there any reason to believe it would have clicked? I say no way. Lastly, he started the season last year next to Gomez and Naslund. They played good in the Czech Republic and bad in North America. Too bad we couldnt play 80 games in CR.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Nick00

There are no effective leaders on this team.
When you're able to be shut out in 4 out of 7 games, your team has some major issues with character and leadership.
I know this is hard to accept as a fan but it's reality.
Not showing up, not competing has become a consistent theme with this team and that has nothing to do with lack of talent.

As for Drury specifically.... every time he talks to the press he looks passive and uninterested, much like he does on the ice.
What should he be saying after an atrocious, no show game like the last?
If you don't know then you probably haven't been watching hockey very long.
Take a look at what Avery said to the media the other day, maybe you'll get a clue.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Unfortunately every time I see Drury I am reminded how much I want him off this team. Someone has to explain to me how he can be labeled as "one of the best defensive forwards of all time". I guess Blair Betts is the GOAT cause he was 3 notches above Drury. Also, I never understood why defensive specialists, which is what Drury has become, are viewed as better defensive players than superstars that play offense and defense. For instance, Crosby who was basically born to play hockey isnt better defensively than Drury? I could list all the attributes that Crosby has over Drury but it would be a long list.

On the offense side I certainly dont buy it. A 7 million dollar forward is supposed to carry a line. See Marian Gaborik. Also, if he played exclusively with Jagr or exclusively with Gaborik is there any reason to believe it would have clicked? I say no way. Lastly, he started the season last year next to Gomez and Naslund. They played good in the Czech Republic and bad in North America. Too bad we couldnt play 80 games in CR.
Theres your first mistake right there.

Only one person thought he was a 7 million dollar forward, and unfortunately, hes the GM of the Rangers.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:57 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post

See this is why I made sure to put that part about being a true hockey fan in there.

See you put his salary, but you conveniently ignore some other juicy numbers.

Chris Drury - 1st in the NHL among forwards with 65 blocked shots. Blair Betts? 34. Sidney Crosby? 27. Guess who was first last year? Come on. Guess.

Sidney Crosby? 56 giveaways and 26 takeaways. Chris Drury? 37 takeaways. 10 giveaways. Last season, Drury had 48 takeaways and 31 giveaways.

Finally, a category where Sid beats Drury. Faceoffs. Crosby - 9th best. Drury? 18th.

Oh, and Drury has taken 9 minors in more than half a season of play. So, basically, he almost never takes stupid penalties.

Old
01-25-2010, 01:58 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
There are no effective leaders on this team.
When you're able to be shut out in 4 out of 7 games, your team has some major issues with character and leadership.
I know this is hard to accept as a fan but it's reality.
Not showing up, not competing has become a consistent theme with this team and that has nothing to do with lack of talent.

As for Drury specifically.... every time he talks to the press he looks passive and uninterested, much like he does on the ice.
What should he be saying after an atrocious, no show game like the last?
If you don't know then you probably haven't been watching hockey very long.
Take a look at what Avery said to the media the other day, maybe you'll get a clue.
If you think he looks uninterested on the ice, then I suggest you better familiarize yourself with this sport. You're missing out on a great game.

Old
01-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Good post Sting, I agree 100%. Far too often around here, people are convincing themselves that one or two issues, whether it be the captaincy, coaching, toughness, whatever, are the problems with this team and once they're corrected, we'll be better off. Theres so much wrong with this team, but if you feel the need to pinpoint one issue, it all comes back to the man making the decisions in the pressbox. Because, issue #1 is this team simply isnt good.

Oh, and Im also "home sick" today. If by home sick you mean Im completely hungover from yesterday and didnt feel like going to work in the rain.

Old
01-25-2010, 02:02 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Good post Sting, I agree 100%. Far too often around here, people are convincing themselves that one or two issues, whether it be the captaincy, coaching, toughness, whatever, are the problems with this team and once they're corrected, we'll be better off. Theres so much wrong with this team, but if you feel the need to pinpoint one issue, it all comes back to the man making the decisions in the pressbox. Because, issue #1 is this team simply isnt good.

Oh, and Im also "home sick" today. If by home sick you mean Im completely hungover from yesterday and didnt feel like going to work in the rain.
A little bit from column A, a little bit from column B.

Old
01-25-2010, 02:02 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Who possesses the history of being a notorious malcontent? Jagr or Drury?

Theres other factors at play here, several of them, and not one of them involves whose got a letter sewn onto their chest.
Who cares about Jagr's history. When he came to New York he gave everything he had. Everything. The guy left it all out on the ice each and every night.

I fail to see how Jagr being a "malcontent" in 2 terrible situations is at all relevant to his awesome seasons in NY.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:07 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Who cares about Jagr's history. When he came to New York he gave everything he had. Everything. The guy left it all out on the ice each and every night.

I fail to see how Jagr being a "malcontent" in 2 terrible situations is at all relevant to his awesome seasons in NY.
I totally disagree with this statement. He may not have been a malcontent, but there were more than a few instances of Jagr's laziness and/or pigheadedness costing this team.

Honestly, the overrating of Jagr by Ranger fans is almost as bad as the ridiculous obsession that Habs fans have with Kovalev. Not quite, but almost.

Old
01-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Nick00

Quote:
If you think he looks uninterested on the ice, then I suggest you better familiarize yourself with this sport. You're missing out on a great game.
I can go out on the ice, slide on my ass and block a shot too.
Not very impressed.
When he's not on the PK he's completely invisible.... offensively and physically.
His play in the defensive end has been his one positive asset.
There are plenty of 1-2 mil players who could be just as effective in that area.
The guy is a good third liner, that's all.

I don't give a **** what he did in Buffalo or Colorado.
Go watch some of his old highlight videos on Youtube, he doesn't look anything like that now.

There has been no evidence of leadership from him on or off the ice.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Not very impressed.
When he's not on the PK he's completely invisible.... offensively and physically.
There are plenty of 1-2 mil players who could be just as effective in that area.

Go watch some of his old highlight videos on Youtube, he doesn't look anything like that now.

You, like all of us, are in no position to make this statement.

But you also made a ridiculous statement that you could block shots at the NHL level, so I guess nothing is going to stop you from this mindless venting.

Old
01-25-2010, 02:13 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Not very impressed.

I just proved to you that hardly anyone does what he can. And a good third liner is what he always has been. Never was anything more than that.

You contradict yourself with every sentence. Clearly you do give a **** about what he did, if you're telling me to look at his videos on Youtube. I don't need to do that, I watched the games. That's probably why I was against paying him 7 million a season before they ever decided to do that. My guess is you thought that was a great day and a great idea, right? You probably were thrilled that we got Gomez and Drury, right? Most people were. Maybe if most people didn't need a shiny new toy every summer, this team wouldn't be a piece of **** every season.