HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why the hate against Larry?

View Poll Results: What do you think about Larry Brooks?
I like him a lot 39 21.43%
He ok 44 24.18%
I'm neutral 31 17.03%
Not my cup of tea 29 15.93%
Can't stand him 39 21.43%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Heat McManus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Because writing for the post and coaching an NHL team is the same job...
it's still a job.

I can see Torts being upset with Brooks after the piece on Redden. Goot to see him stick up for a player like that.

The video from Tampa is hysterical. Another example of a great Torts press conference.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:05 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I'm not even going to respond to the rest of the nonsense in this post, but this is really ridiculous.

I would say that MOST of the people that I've played hockey with during my life don't understand a thing about hockey. They know all about the equipment, but I'll be damned if they could explain proper positioning or strategy.

Heck, you don't have to look very far to see that there are plenty of players in the NHL that don't really understand these things, but I'm sure all of those guys could tell you all about which chin guards and elbow pads are the most comfortable.

None of that information is integral to understanding the core concepts of the sport, or for analyzing the sport. Larry Brooks is far from the first sports beat writer or sports columnist to cover a sport he never played. Ken Hitchcock never played hockey, but he coached a team to the Stanley Cup.

Growing up, I learned more about hockey from a sickly neighbor of mine who was confined to crutches and wheelchairs for most of his life than I ever did from ANYONE that I ever played hockey with.

EDIT: And I'll have you know that I'm not the biggest Brooks fan. Sometimes his opinions really rub me the wrong way, too. But he CLEARLY did nothing wrong last night, and the enormous hate some people have for him is ridiculous.
OK, and that's fine.

Except he still doesn't know anything about positioning, systems, shooting, passing, skating...

Nothing I've EVER read from Brooks, mentions anything about the actual game of hockey.

He knows nothing of the minor league system, he has very limited knowledge of HOCKEY.

It's always speculation, negative sarcasm, sensationalist ranting...

When he focuses on just REPORTING the news, and inside information, he's fine.

Unfortunately, 90%+ of his work is useless banter.

That's ALWAYS been my problem with him. I've never liked Brooks, ever.

I'm also extremely happy THN no longer uses Brooks to get their Rangers info. They've been using Zipay lately, and it's MUCH more tolerable.

I liked Sam Weinman a lot, because he would at times have an opinion (usually not overwhelmed with negativity and sarcasm) but he would report what he saw and heard. AND, he PLAYS hockey.

To some, that may not be a big deal. But, to me, when i read an OPINION from someone, it would be nice if they had any background knowledge of what it is they are having an opinion about.

Do i go forming opinions on the Knicks? I know NOTHING about basketball, and i don't pretend to either. I played organized basketball ONCE when i was a kid, hardly gives me any credentials to start talking about basketball.

Brooks knows nothing of the SPORT.

He can report on it, that's fine. But the second he starts ranting his negative crap as if he is above everyone else...

I've had a lot of Rangers beat writers, blogs, an the like bookmarked. I never once bookmarked Brooks. Because i really can't stand his work.

I have Carp, Gross, Zipay, Leslie Treff, among others bookmarked. I go to them and the boards here for info.

I find a lot of the posters here, more informative then Brooks. And that includes you, an actual hockey mind. I would look for info from you before i would look for it from Brooks.

And i say this all with no anger, either. I'm not ranting, i'm just thinking aloud.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 01-23-2010 at 02:15 PM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 08:38 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Where to begin with this...

In no particular order:

1- He is not a reporter of NEWS.

2- He's a sensationalist.

3- He will find the negative, sarcastic, bull **** in ANY situation. The Rangers could win the Cup in June the next morning he would write an article about how the Rangers don't deserve it and how Wade Redden is a bum.

4- If i wanted to read someone's OPINION, i would come to the HF boards.

5- Brooks NEVER played the sport of hockey. He never coached the sport of hockey. He does not know ANYTHING about the sport of hockey. Sure, he may write articles and interview people... however, he NEVER played, he never once put the skates on, he didn't hang around rinks as a kid, he couldn't tell you what the best equipment is, he couldn't tell you what a radius on a runner is, he couldn't tell you what a stick lie is, he couldn't tell you what an umbrella is, or what Russian circles are...he couldn't tell you ANYTHING about the SPORT of hockey.

He is a joke, and an insult to the sport, and the people who DO know the ins and outs of the sport.

6- He looks to start controvercy, rather then REPORT the facts and the news, he ONLY looks to start controvercy.

I could go on, but i don't feel like wasting more of my time.

Larry Brooks represents ALL that is bad with media.

That's why i refuse to read his bull ****
. When i want facts, news updates, trade rumors, i read people who report them.

When i want to read opinions, i go to this message board.
Hear, Hear! Just like to add one more critical point. He can't write! He has absolutely no flair for writing. His articles never make a good read. He might be knowledgeable, but his sarcastic nature always ruins his column. You know what, I take that back,... he is not even insightful. I'm always disagreeing with him.

Quote:
I'm not even going to respond to the rest of the nonsense in this post, but this is really ridiculous.

I would say that MOST of the people that I've played hockey with during my life don't understand a thing about hockey. They know all about the equipment, but I'll be damned if they could explain proper positioning or strategy.

Heck, you don't have to look very far to see that there are plenty of players in the NHL that don't really understand these things, but I'm sure all of those guys could tell you all about which chin guards and elbow pads are the most comfortable.

None of that information is integral to understanding the core concepts of the sport, or for analyzing the sport. Larry Brooks is far from the first sports beat writer or sports columnist to cover a sport he never played. Ken Hitchcock never played hockey, but he coached a team to the Stanley Cup.

Growing up, I learned more about hockey from a sickly neighbor of mine who was confined to crutches and wheelchairs for most of his life than I ever did from ANYONE that I ever played hockey with.

EDIT: And I'll have you know that I'm not the biggest Brooks fan. Sometimes his opinions really rub me the wrong way, too. But he CLEARLY did nothing wrong last night, and the enormous hate some people have for him is ridiculous.
It is not just the last enconter with Torts, but his entire body of work, dating back to when he worked for the Daily News.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks3rdLineCenter View Post
It's also funny to see how Torts always addresses Rosen with the utmost respect and than instantaneously goes into angry pitbull mode as soon as Brooks asks a question.
Rosen is the most respected anouncer in hockey. He made JD what he is today,... President of the St Louis Blues. He carried JD on his back and taught him for 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I would love to see anyone trying to argue that there is one other, just one other, repoter out there covering this team other then Larry Brooks.

IMO, he is the only reporter covering this team.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reporter

Everyone else supply's information.
Unfortunately there isn't much competition to cover a 4th sport in NY. With maybe one article covering the Rangers in the NY papers, as opposed to pages for the Jets, Mets, Yankees, etc..., there is no need for more writers to cover hockey.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 08:58 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post

Rosen is the most respected anouncer in hockey. He made JD what he is today,... President of the St Louis Blues. He carried JD on his back and taught him for 20 years.
This is honestly one of the funniest things I've seen written on this site.

Sam Rosen is close to the hearts of a lot of Ranger fans, but he is an average announcer at best. Hes been brutal since the lockout and absolutely lost without JD in the booth.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:13 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
This is honestly one of the funniest things I've seen written on this site.

Sam Rosen is close to the hearts of a lot of Ranger fans, but he is an average announcer at best. Hes been brutal since the lockout and absolutely lost without JD in the booth.
At his worst, and he certainly is significantly worse than he used to be, Sam is still one of the 5-6 best play-by-play men in the league. I defy you to name me 10, much less 15, of his peers that you'd prefer to listen to.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:13 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
How do you know he's the most respected announcer out there? And most respected by whom? Fans? His colleagues? The league? Sam is good but that's a pretty lofty statement to make, especially since there's nothing to back it up.

As far as him "making" JD...no. That's a bizarre thing to say.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:17 AM
94now

Brooks asked a legit question about 3rd man in regarding Gaborik's beating by Carcillo. He did nothing wrong. What he did wrong was calling for sell-off in his previous article. That Torts probably found unforgivable, since it would be embarrassing for him as a result of first full year in NY. Torts exhibited his hatred for Brooks in uncool manner and made an a** out of himself. That, plus Kotalik debacle influenced the team in the way similar to what happened in last year playoffs.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
At his worst, and he certainly is significantly worse than he used to be, Sam is still one of the 5-6 best play-by-play men in the league. I defy you to name me 10, much less 15, of his peers that you'd prefer to listen to.
Just locally, Id rather listen to Mike Emrick, Howie Rose, and Kenny Albert call a game.

Old
01-25-2010, 09:22 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Just locally, Id rather listen to Mike Emrick, Howie Rose, and Kenny Albert call a game.
I have nothing against any of them, all solid, but I'll take Sam. Maybe Albert. He's pretty good, although I really have a tough time listening to him. He reminds me of his father, which reminds me of so many funny things: Yes!, the toupee, the backbiting. Hard to concentrate on the game.

Old
01-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I have nothing against any of them, all solid, but I'll take Sam. Maybe Albert. He's pretty good, although I really have a tough time listening to him. He reminds me of his father, which reminds me of so many funny things: Yes!, the toupee, the backbiting. Hard to concentrate on the game.
Maybe Im being hard on Sam. You're right, despite him slipping considerably over the past 5 years, hes still a top 10 hockey announcer.

I think what makes me cringe the most is the embarassingly awkward banter between him and Joe (who I dont think is that bad).

Old
01-25-2010, 09:32 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Maybe Im being hard on Sam. You're right, despite him slipping considerably over the past 5 years, hes still a top 10 hockey announcer.

I think what makes me cringe the most is the embarassingly awkward banter between him and Joe (who I dont think is that bad).
The worst thing about Sam, IMO, is that he gets the jersey numbers mixed up pretty damn often these days. But, even so, that doesn't mean he isn't calling the action correctly, just that he's mixing up the player names sometimes. I'm such a hardcore fan, both of this team and the sport in general, that I rarely need Sam to tell me who is on the ice anyway, so it's not a big deal.

I think both Sam and Joe come across as geniunely nice people, both a little old school, so I take their banter for what it is. I don't expect them to have the same on-air chemistry that Sam and JD had. They haven't worked together nearly as long as Sam and JD. Maybe the older posters can comment...did Sam and JD go through their awkward stages when they first got paired together? They were already at full speed by the early 90s when I started watching.

Old
01-25-2010, 09:34 AM
94now

Quote:

Joe on his own may not be bad, but he is detrimental to Sam who used to rely on JD expertise.

Old
01-25-2010, 11:22 AM
ohbaby

Sam Rosen is very respected and deservedly so. He a stand up guy, who never has a bad word to say about anybody. An excellent play by play man, a true professional. He must be in his 70's by now, so I would give him a break if he makes a few mistakes on his calls.

Anyone remember JD's show (I forget the name of it) on MSG? Didn't last long. Anyway, The point is JD was at his best along side Sam. Even when JD did color during the Stanley Playoffs with someone else, he was not as good. Sam makes everyone around him better. Hell, even Joe is starting to grow on me. And he can't hold a candle to JD.

Edit: Ok, he's only 62, but he hasn't been entirely healthy of late, and would forgive him if he calls the wrong name on the play. Joe has been improving along side Sam and is starting to loosen up.

Last edited by ohbaby: 01-25-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old
01-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Jim Hughson (CBC Hockey Night in Canada)
Randy Hahn (Sharks)
Bob Miller (Kings)
John Shorthouse (Canucks)
Dean Brown (Senators)
Ralph Strangis (Stars)
Chris Cuthbert (TSN)
Mike Emrick (Devils and everything else)
Mark Lee (CBC Hockey Night in Canada)
John Kelly (Avalanche)
Joe Bowen (Maple Leafs)

There are also others (Bob Cole, Mike Lange, Howie Rose, Ken Daniels, John Ahlers) who are certainly debatable. Rick Jeanneret also has a lot of fans, but I'm not one of them.

And I like and appreciate Sam Rosen. I've also met him, and he's a very nice man. But he is not one of the 5-6 best play by play men in the league. Not even close.

Last edited by Jersey Girl: 01-25-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:36 AM
94now

Quote:
Sam Rosen is very respected and deservedly so. He a stand up guy, who never has a bad word to say about anybody. An excellent play by play man, a true professional. He must be in his 70's by now, so I would give him a break if he makes a few mistakes on his calls.

Anyone remember JD's show (I forget the name of it) on MSG? Didn't last long. Anyway, The point is JD was at his best along side Sam. Even when JD did color during the Stanley Playoffs with someone else, he was not as good. Sam makes everyone around him better. Hell, even Joe is starting to grow on me. And he can't hold a candle to JD.
Is that a suggestion that Brooks lacks homerism? I like Rosen, yet I find his questions at press conference useless in its friendliness.

Old
01-25-2010, 11:54 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Is that a suggestion that Brooks lacks homerism? I like Rosen, yet I find his questions at press conference useless in its friendliness.
No question Sam is guarded when asking Torts anything. That's the kind of guy he is. He would rather not ruffle any feathers. Don't mistake kindness as a weakness. Unless you would rather see more interviews like you saw the other nite. You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Old
01-25-2010, 12:08 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Jim Hughson (CBC Hockey Night in Canada)
Randy Hahn (Sharks)
Bob Miller (Kings)
John Shorthouse (Canucks)
Dean Brown (Senators)
Ralph Strangis (Stars)
Chris Cuthbert (TSN)
Mike Emrick (Devils and everything else)
Mark Lee (CBC Hockey Night in Canada)
John Kelly (Avalanche)
Joe Bowen (Maple Leafs)

There are also others (Bob Cole, Mike Lange, Howie Rose, Ken Daniels, John Ahlers) who are certainly debatable. Rick Jeanneret also has a lot of fans, but I'm not one of them.

And I like and appreciate Sam Rosen. I've also met him, and he's a very nice man. But he is not one of the 5-6 best play by play men in the league. Not even close.
Don't know about the rest of those guys on the list,.. but Mike Doc Emrick who was awarded with Foster Hewitt Memorial Award by the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2008, does not impress me. A long time devils play by play man, does not have half the passion Sam has. Doc is very monotonous in his delivery which I don't like. It is very tediously unvarying. Even when he does the Stanley Cup Playoffs, it seems he can't get excited for it.

Last edited by ohbaby: 01-25-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old
01-25-2010, 12:13 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
You think Doc Emerick is monotonous? He's one of the most excitable PBP guys I've heard in any sport.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Vito Andolini

You can guys can honestly tolerate Emrick? His voice is cringe worthy and I can't stand his constant use of annoying phrases like: "waffled boarded", "jostled", "careened", "afisticuffs", "shoooots one", "parafernalia", etc.

Plus, I don't trust anyone that looks like Lady Elaine Fairchilde of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood...but maybe that's just me. http://senditin.files.wordpress.com/...ladyelaine.jpg

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Stepan Razor

dave strader is my favorite play-by-play guy in the league. he's quick, doesn't miss a beat and explains the action with precision and clarity.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:24 PM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
You can guys can honestly tolerate Emrick? His voice is cringe worthy and I can't stand his constant use of annoying phrases like: "waffled boarded", "jostled", "careened", "afisticuffs", "shoooots one", "parafernalia", etc.

Plus, I don't trust anyone that looks like Lady Elaine Fairchilde of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood...but maybe that's just me. http://senditin.files.wordpress.com/...ladyelaine.jpg
I was going to say this same thing.

also add 'recoiled for another attack' and 'knifed the puck'

rangerfan_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:42 PM
94now

Quote:
No question Sam is guarded when asking Torts anything. That's the kind of guy he is. He would rather not ruffle any feathers. Don't mistake kindness as a weakness. Unless you would rather see more interviews like you saw the other nite. You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
So Sam is nice while Brooks is nasty. I see. I obviously go with Brooks, then. I am the one who regularly rants about Lundqvist, so I will have no mercy from those who would die for Torts now, while will spill the raw sewage on him the moment he gets fired.

Old
01-25-2010, 12:58 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
You think Doc Emerick is monotonous? He's one of the most excitable PBP guys I've heard in any sport.
Your joking right? Look if you can't get excited during a Pens, Wings game 7 Stanley Cup final, then you must be dead. He gets a little excited but do you really want his voice being broadcast for the Stanley Cup finals? It is very monotonous.

Old
01-25-2010, 01:14 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
So Sam is nice while Brooks is nasty. I see. I obviously go with Brooks, then. I am the one who regularly rants about Lundqvist, so I will have no mercy from those who would die for Torts now, while will spill the raw sewage on him the moment he gets fired.
I have no idea what you are saying here. I was only pointing out Sam is a gentle soul. He knows it doesn't take much to fire up Torts, so he tries not to go there.

This got nothing to do with choosing between Brooks and Rosen. Rosen is the Rangers beloved team play by play man. And Brooks is nothing but offensive in the eyes of many Rangers fans including myself.

Old
01-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Your joking right? Look if you can't get excited during a Pens, Wings game 7 Stanley Cup final, then you must be dead. He gets a little excited but do you really want his voice being broadcast for the Stanley Cup finals? It is very monotonous.

Yes, he must be terrible. He calls all the NBC and a lot of the Versus nationally televised games, as well as the Olympics.

I know people hate him because hes the Devil's broadcaster, but Emrick is the best in the business. Hes spot on in every single telecast. I enjoy him thoroughly compared to the awkwardness of Sam these days.