HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holmgren looking for D-man

Old
01-25-2010, 01:42 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
He's a solid AHL defenseman...maybe a really good AHL defenseman.
true, I probably should have clairified and said NHL defenseman.

now there is a thread saying Pyorola is practicing on the blueline.
I am going to LOL@ OKT if Pyorola starts on the blueline ahead of OKT.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Jester

OKT is a "fringe" NHL defensemen. There's easily an active roster spot for him in the NHL on a crap team, but as you're seeing here with a bit more depth on the roster he gets pushed out quickly outside of injuries. You add in the fact that he's always injured, and that really pretty much nixes his importance to a club.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:46 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
You are the only one here who thinks OKT is a solid defenseman.
I thought OKT was solid before his injury actually, he's stuck pairing with Bartulis and Coburn and has to be expected to cover for their mistakes while not yet fully healthy. We still need another guy though because he's not at full speed.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
I thought OKT was solid before his injury actually, he's stuck pairing with Bartulis and Coburn and has to be expected to cover for their mistakes while not yet fully healthy. We still need another guy though because he's not at full speed.
Eh, OKT creates plenty of opportunities for his brethren to cover for his ass too.

Old
01-25-2010, 01:52 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
I just dont trust OKT at all. I dont think hes that good, he is always injured.
Would you want OKT out there with the game on the line late in a playoff game on the road? There is a reason why Holmgren is looking for another defenseman and its not just the Parent injury/surgery. OKT isnt reliable and the Flyers organization knows it.

Old
01-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
true, I probably should have clairified and said NHL defenseman.

now there is a thread saying Pyorola is practicing on the blueline.
I am going to LOL@ OKT if Pyorola starts on the blueline ahead of OKT.
It's gotta be because of all the injuries...I hope it's because of the injuries...I really, really hope it's because of all the injuries.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:58 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
It's gotta be because of all the injuries...I hope it's because of the injuries...I really, really hope it's because of all the injuries.
I would venture to guess Laviolette and Holmgren dont feel safe with having inexperienced defenseman on the 5/6 pairing. Having 1 rookie/young guy is fine but 2 is not a good situation especially for a playoff team.

Old
01-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
I would venture to guess Laviolette and Holmgren dont feel safe with having inexperienced defenseman on the 5/6 pairing. Having 1 rookie/young guy is fine but 2 is not a good situation especially for a playoff team.
I'd be very surprised if a deal isn't made before the Olympic freeze, probably sooner.

Old
01-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Jester

Quote:
I'd be very surprised if a deal isn't made before the Olympic freeze, probably sooner.
Well, the deadline is March 3rd, so in terms of NHL games the Olympic freeze is basically a couple days before the deadline.

Old
01-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:
You are the only one here who thinks OKT is a solid defenseman.
I've watched him play for six years, you've watched him play 15 games, and you think you know him better than me?

He more than good enough as a bottom pairing guy when he's healthy, but he's not in game shape because of a sore knee, needs to continue working with this and make it stronger. It will be interesting to see how he performs in the olympics.

Holmgren is thinking about another D because he's concerned about having two rookies in the playoffs.

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, the deadline is March 3rd, so in terms of NHL games the Olympic freeze is basically a couple days before the deadline.
Yeah, but I think we'll see a deal prior to the Olympics.

Old
01-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
I've watched him play for six years, you've watched him play 15 games, and you think you know him better than me?

He more than good enough as a bottom pairing guy when he's healthy, but he's not in game shape because of a sore knee, needs to continue working with this and make it stronger. It will be interesting to see how he performs in the olympics.

Holmgren is thinking about another D because he's concerned about having two rookies in the playoffs.
There's a big difference between being a fanboy, and having an objective opinion on someone.

Old
01-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:

If OKT was that good, there wouldn't be two rookies. He played solidly in Columbus at times. But he's inconsistent and as fragile as a potato chip in a blender.

Old
01-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Jester

Quote:
Yeah, but I think we'll see a deal prior to the Olympics.
Right, I'm just saying I think you'll see a few deals...because it isn't like they're going to have a lot of time/games to make up their mind after.

Old
01-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Right, I'm just saying I think you'll see a few deals...because it isn't like they're going to have a lot of time/games to make up their mind after.
That's absolutely possible. I just meant I think a move for a defenseman will happen soon, like in the next week.

Old
01-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
That's absolutely possible. I just meant I think a move for a defenseman will happen soon, like in the next week.
Honestly, they should have just made the trade deadline the Olympics, as that would have given new players (not in the Olympics) the chance to practice some with their new teams.

But, as with everything in the NHL, that would make too much sense.

Old
01-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Talbetts

Quote:
Honestly, they should have just made the trade deadline the Olympics, as that would have given new players (not in the Olympics) the chance to practice some with their new teams.

So true! Agreed 100%.

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:
If OKT was that good, there wouldn't be two rookies. He played solidly in Columbus at times. But he's inconsistent and as fragile as a potato chip in a blender.
More lack of knowledge, he isn't fragile but he plays a very physical game which includes a high risk of injury. There are two rookies around because we lost Jones, and also the problems with Parent.

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:

Yeah, but then there's only one artificial day to look forward too, instead of two!

The only possible reason it makes any sense is in case of injuries suffered at the Olympics.

Old
01-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
More lack of knowledge, he isn't fragile but he plays a very physical game which includes a high risk of injury. There are two rookies around because we lost Jones, and also the problems with Parent.

Uh, no. His knees are chronically injured, meaning they will never be 100%, so he's prone to missing games because of them. That is fragility.

If he wasn't fragile and that good, he'd be playing ahead of at least one of those rookies. OKT is no better than a 7th defenseman at this point in his career.

Old
01-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Jray42

vCash: 300
ok realistically wed never trade with the rags. but one guy i noticed and it seems as if rags fans wouldnt mind moving/want to trade ( check the roszival higgins and the rest of our garbage thread in the trade rumors section) Is Dan Girardi. My problem with him is that he is young, and isnt the "vet" we seek. I believe he is 25-26. But he brings a right hand shot, can play the PP, hes an RFA after this season and currently only makes about 1.55 Million. Hes 6'2 215 so hes got pretty goos size and would be a solid guy for the 4th-5th role, i guess coburn and him could go back and forth. One bad thing is ive heard he isnt extremly physical in his own end so that could be a big problem if were looking for a defensive dman and i guess the PK isnt a real good option. Hes cheap, and being an RFA after the season like coburn with around the same salary maybe itll make coburn realise its him or girardi and maybe itd light a fire under his ass. idk just a thought.

pronger-carle
timmonen-coburn/girardi
girardi/coburn-bartulis/parent (when healthy)

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
ok realistically wed never trade with the rags. but one guy i noticed and it seems as if rags fans wouldnt mind moving/want to trade ( check the roszival higgins and the rest of our garbage thread in the trade rumors section) Is Dan Girardi. My problem with him is that he is young, I believe he is 25-26. But he brings a right hand shot, can play the PP, hes an RFA after this season and currently only makes about 1.55 Million. Hes 6'2 215 so hes got pretty goos size and would be a solid guy for the 4th-5th role, i guess coburn and him could go back and forth. One bad thing is ive heard he isnt extremly physical in his own end so that could be a big problem if were looking for a defensive dman and i guess the PK isnt a real good option. Hes cheap, and being an RFA after the season like coburn with around the same salary maybe itll make coburn realise its him or girardi and maybe itd light a fire under his ass. idk just a thought.

pronger-carle
timmonen-coburn/girardi
girardi/coburn-bartulis/parent (when healthy)
I did really like the way he stood there and watched Carcillo pound the Hell out of his team's best forward, but, I'd want a guy with a set of balls on him.

Old
01-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Jray42

vCash: 300
Quote:
I did really like the way he stood there and watched Carcillo pound the Hell out of his team's best forward, but, I'd want a guy with a set of balls on him.
true lol but honestly like we dont have enough fighters/tough guys on this squad? if you want a guy with a set of balls on the blue line we allready have him in OKT. otherwise, im sure lappy carcillo asham okt can pull the load.

BTW, im just going to keep on adding names that come up in my head.

what about Greg Zanon. Solid bottom 6 pairing vet i guess could step up to the 2nd pairing if an injury were to occur. first year of a 3 year deal worth 5.8m total so less then 2m a year. 29 years old, and is always among the leaders of the NHL in blocked shots. He wont be a threat offensively but hes a solid defensive defenseman. 1 problem is hes a left handed shot but he wont be on our PP anyway. little on the small side, 5'11 211lb but hell do fine. probabley less expensive trade wise then a guy say leopold and he has two more years on a cheap contract.

thoughts?

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Jester

Quote:
The sport of hockey includes a "high risk of injury." If you get hurt, you're fragile. There are plenty of physical players that are not hurt as often as OKT.

Old
01-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
true lol but honestly like we dont have enough fighters/tough guys on this squad? if you want a guy with a set of balls on the blue line we allready have him in OKT. otherwise, im sure lappy carcillo asham okt can pull the load.

BTW, im just going to keep on adding names that come up in my head.

what about Greg Zanon. Solid bottom 6 pairing vet i guess could step up to the 2nd pairing if an injury were to occur. first year of a 3 year deal worth 5.8m total so less then 2m a year. 29 years old, and is always among the leaders of the NHL in blocked shots. He wont be a threat offensively but hes a solid defensive defenseman. 1 problem is hes a left handed shot but he wont be on our PP anyway. little on the small side, 5'11 211lb but hell do fine. probabley less expensive trade wise then a guy say leopold and he has two more years on a cheap contract.

thoughts?
Zanon is a better option. I actually think they had a degree of interest in him in the summer, but went the OKT route.