HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is it time for a new Captain?

View Poll Results: Who would you like to see named Captain of the NY Rangers
Drury- I wouldn't change a thing 27 19.29%
Avery- I like living on the edge 18 12.86%
Lundqvist- He is the Keystone 36 25.71%
Gaborik- Good at hockey 15 10.71%
Other- Callahan, Jagr, Kovulchuk? 44 31.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-25-2010, 01:20 PM
  #76
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I just proved to you that hardly anyone does what he can. And a good third liner is what he always has been. Never was anything more than that.
Unfortunately he was not brought here to be a good third liner. And he took the money and with it comes the responsibility. These years could well be his legacy.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:23 PM
  #77
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,379
vCash: 500
The fact that Sean Avery is even relevant in this poll says alot. At least about what the fans feel

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:27 PM
  #78
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Unfortunately he was not brought here to be a good third liner. And he took the money and with it comes the responsibility. These years could well be his legacy.
He was brought here by a dolt. What do you expect?

His legacy is making as much money as he possibly can for his family. And there is no responsibility. He's a hockey player. He is being paid to play his best hockey, and that's what he does most of the time. There is only so much he can do on his own. This is a team sport.

Glen Sather doesn't understand the difference between Chris Drury and a first line forward in the National Hockey League. Much like he didn't understand the difference between Scott Gomez and a first line forward, or Wade Redden and a top-pairing defenseman. Or the difference between Zherdev and Kotalik.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:31 PM
  #79
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
The fact that Sean Avery is even relevant in this poll says alot. At least about what the fans feel
Theres a large portion of the Rangers fanbase that LOVE "Look-at-me" clown acts. Thats why Avery and Tortorella are so beloved by some.

People that quietly go about their business are labeled as boring and incompetent. Thats why theres so much venom towards Drury, and why a lot of people hated Renney.

If hijinks is what you like, wait for Barnum and Bailey to come to town.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:32 PM
  #80
Nick00
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I just proved to you that hardly anyone does what he can. And a good third liner is what he always has been. Never was anything more than that.

You contradict yourself with every sentence. Clearly you do give a **** about what he did, if you're telling me to look at his videos on Youtube. I don't need to do that, I watched the games. That's probably why I was against paying him 7 million a season before they ever decided to do that. My guess is you thought that was a great day and a great idea, right? You probably were thrilled that we got Gomez and Drury, right? Most people were. Maybe if most people didn't need a shiny new toy every summer, this team wouldn't be a piece of **** every season.
I don't give a **** meaning I see his past stats as irrelevant right now.
He was once an effective and valuable player but has declined ever since the Rangers signed him (huge surprise there).
That being said I would NEVER pay a 55-60 point player 7 million per season, no matter how solid he is on the defensive end of the puck.
I always thought that was insane, and with the way he's performing right now it's just brutal.

Am I blaming him for the team's current problems?
Not at all... he doesn't take penalties, is responsible in his own end and is usually not a big factor in the outcome of the game.
I was just addressing those people who insist that he has some kind of unseen leadership qualities, because I see no evidence of that and I'm not going to just give him the benefit of the doubt for no reason.

As for your generalization of me as a typical impatient fan, no, that's not the case at all.
I would much rather rebuild from within and miss the playoffs for 3 years while constructing an actual contender.
I'm not of the moronic yet ever so popular "buy buy buy, find a way to make it into the playoffs and ANYTHING can happen" mentality.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:35 PM
  #81
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
He was brought here by a dolt. What do you expect?
Honestly? My moneys worth.... and appreciation for the time I invest in my own passion for the team.

I'm not pointing fingers here. I just want the team to play better more consistently.

We've seen them play GREAT and we've seen them suck really bad. Really bad.

I'd be game for anything that can actually be done now to get this team fired up every night

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:35 PM
  #82
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
See this is why I made sure to put that part about being a true hockey fan in there.

See you put his salary, but you conveniently ignore some other juicy numbers.

Chris Drury - 1st in the NHL among forwards with 65 blocked shots. Blair Betts? 34. Sidney Crosby? 27. Guess who was first last year? Come on. Guess.

Sidney Crosby? 56 giveaways and 26 takeaways. Chris Drury? 37 takeaways. 10 giveaways. Last season, Drury had 48 takeaways and 31 giveaways.

Finally, a category where Sid beats Drury. Faceoffs. Crosby - 9th best. Drury? 18th.

Oh, and Drury has taken 9 minors in more than half a season of play. So, basically, he almost never takes stupid penalties.
OK tough guy. Lets see how hard it is to combat your juicy stats.

Blocked shots - A hustle stat; I definitely want Drury on the ice against opposing teams top lines because he blocks shots. Betts has played in 15 less games and gets less ice time. Not that it really matters - if you want to win the argument that Drury > Betts at shot blocking you can take it. As for Crosby, the day a smart Rangers fan wants Gaborik blocking shots is the day the Pens want Crosby blocking shots.

Giveaways - Technically giving the puck away has nothing to do with defense. If Chris Paul has a lot of turnovers can he not be a good defensive player? Similarly to Chris Paul in basketball, guys that have the ball (or in hockey who carry the puck) tend to have more turnovers. Chris Drury playing his style of 60 minutes of penalty kill dump it in hockey isnt going to turn the puck over like Crosby who actually attempts offense.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:38 PM
  #83
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
I don't give a **** meaning I see his past stats as irrelevant right now.
He was once an effective and valuable player but has declined ever since the Rangers signed him (huge surprise there).
That being said I would NEVER pay a 55-60 point player 7 million per season, no matter how solid he is on the defensive end of the puck.
I always thought that was insane, and with the way he's performing right now it's just brutal.

Am I blaming him for the team's current problems?
Not at all... he doesn't take penalties, is responsible in his own end and is usually not a big factor in the outcome of the game.
I was just addressing those people who insist that he has some kind of unseen leadership qualities, because I see no evidence of that and I'm not going to just give him the benefit of the doubt for no reason.

As for your generalization of me as a typical impatient fan, no, that's not the case at all.
I would much rather rebuild from within and miss the playoffs for 3 years while constructing an actual contender.
I'm not of the moronic yet over so popular "buy buy buy, find a way to make into the playoffs and ANYTHING can happen" mentality.
That isn't just what you were doing. If that was the case, I wouldn't have even bothered to respond. Your commentary regarding his "leadership skills" is the likes of which I've come to ignore lately, no offense. But you unjustly denigrated the play of a guy who, deep down, is one of my favorite hockey players ever. I was responding to your remark about him showing no interest on the ice. I still contend that that's ridiculous.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:39 PM
  #84
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Theres a large portion of the Rangers fanbase that LOVE "Look-at-me" clown acts. Thats why Avery and Tortorella are so beloved by some.

People that quietly go about their business are labeled as boring and incompetent. Thats why theres so much venom towards Drury, and why a lot of people hated Renney.

If hijinks is what you like, wait for Barnum and Bailey to come to town.

That's not what I'm talking about. Drury is a boring captain. But I'd be fine with that if the team showed some tenacity at game time.

That Devils game last week was AWESOME. They played very well. And we've seen them play very well in other games and just totally suck the next day.

Where is the disconnect?


Who can lead this team to a place where they show up everynight?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:41 PM
  #85
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
OK tough guy. Lets see how hard it is to combat your juicy stats.

Blocked shots - A hustle stat; I definitely want Drury on the ice against opposing teams top lines because he blocks shots. Betts has played in 15 less games and gets less ice time. Not that it really matters - if you want to win the argument that Drury > Betts at shot blocking you can take it. As for Crosby, the day a smart Rangers fan wants Gaborik blocking shots is the day the Pens want Crosby blocking shots.

Giveaways - Technically giving the puck away has nothing to do with defense. If Chris Paul has a lot of turnovers can he not be a good defensive player? Similarly to Chris Paul in basketball, guys that have the ball (or in hockey who carry the puck) tend to have more turnovers. Chris Drury playing his style of 60 minutes of penalty kill dump it in hockey isnt going to turn the puck over like Crosby who actually attempts offense.
Here's a tip for future instances of debate: If you can't find a proper example in this sport to make your point, going to another sport doesn't help your argument in any way.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:42 PM
  #86
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Theres a large portion of the Rangers fanbase that LOVE "Look-at-me" clown acts. Thats why Avery and Tortorella are so beloved by some.

People that quietly go about their business are labeled as boring and incompetent. Thats why theres so much venom towards Drury, and why a lot of people hated Renney.

If hijinks is what you like, wait for Barnum and Bailey to come to town.
Some fans like Avery not because of his antics or that he's a pest, but because he's the only player that consistently sticks up for his teammates.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:44 PM
  #87
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Some fans like Avery not because of his antics or that he's a pest, but because he's the only player that consistently sticks up for his teammates.
I like Avery because he has one of the highest hockey IQs of any player I've ever seen.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:46 PM
  #88
Nick00
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
That isn't just what you were doing. If that was the case, I wouldn't have even bothered to respond. Your commentary regarding his "leadership skills" is the likes of which I've come to ignore lately, no offense. But you unjustly denigrated the play of a guy who, deep down, is one of my favorite hockey players ever. I NEVER wanted Drury signed for 7 million, but I love having him on my team.
His leadership qualities are highly questionable since he shows little evidence of this on or off the ice.
Unlike you, Drury is not one of my favorite hockey players ever, so I'm skeptical of his ability to lead as captain.
That about sums it up... I'm not a Drury "hater" nor did I intend to denigrate him.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:51 PM
  #89
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
His leadership qualities are highly questionable since he shows little evidence of this on or off the ice.
Unlike you, Drury is not one of my favorite hockey players ever, so I'm skeptical of his ability to lead as captain.
That about sums it up... I'm not a Drury "hater" nor did I intend to denigrate him.
Fair enough. But I wasn't saying a thing about his leadership abilities, because his leadership abilities are irrelevant for this team. He's one of my favorite players because he's arguably the best at what he does in this league. Certainly among the top 5-10. He's one of my favorite players because of how he plays the game, not because of his leadership skills or his ****ing baseball awards.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:51 PM
  #90
HoosierDaddy
Registered User
 
HoosierDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
Anybody but Captain Valium.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:00 PM
  #91
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
The team needs a new captain. ( Won't happen this year).

The captain needs a new team. (Won't happen this year).

One can always hope though.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:06 PM
  #92
CrimsonBruin21
 
CrimsonBruin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilton Head, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Jagr was a GREAT Ranger...
Yes he was. As an opposing fan... Between 2005-07 Jagr was the best Ranger I've ever seen... and that includes Messier and Leetch. He was down a bit in 07-08- but then turned it on for a killer playoffs.

GREAT Ranger- and in retrospect- looking like a better captain than many (myself included) realized. I am sure he is missed.

Anyway, my .02 would be to either give the "C" to Hank or have it vacated. Drury's a mess...

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:49 PM
  #93
lbrowne
Registered User
 
lbrowne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,047
vCash: 500
Ya know, I like Drury but I think he's in a place right now where we don't see his leadership abilities because it's behind closed doors. If we were running along smoothly and winning frequently, we'd be saying, "Look at our Captain, he has ice in his veins and it's rubbing off on our team being so cool under pressure"

I do admit, it was moving to see times on the NYR bench when Jagr took the reins, and this was on the bench, not on the ice. I remember one time specifically when he got up and went up and down the bench calling on his players. I remember the tugs on the sleeves of jerseys as he got someone's attention on the bench and leaned in to tell them what they did or didn't do right on that last shift. I really wish he was still a Ranger.


Sometimes a team (this is not just hockey, and also applies in the workplace) is built in a way that responds better to a leader that is charismatic, outspoken, and makes a loud statement on the ice. Be it a fight, scrum, hit, whichever. Someone vocal. I think our current Rangers are that sort of team, requiring someone with authority on the roster to make a huge impact/statement.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:50 PM
  #94
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,223
vCash: 50
Drury. And he will be until his contract is up.

Avery as captain of the Rangers and I think I would die from embarrassment.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 03:02 PM
  #95
1940rip
Registered User
 
1940rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 148
vCash: 500
Makes you wonder how much of an effect losing Bettsy to bring in Brashear has had on the locker room. This team just hasn't galvanized, and Drury hasn't the personality to rally the troops.

1940rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 03:08 PM
  #96
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,352
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1940rip View Post
Makes you wonder how much of an effect losing Bettsy to bring in Brashear has had on the locker room. This team just hasn't galvanized, and Drury hasn't the personality to rally the troops.
I think it has more to do with the way the coach conducted himself in the playoffs than Brashear coming in.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 03:11 PM
  #97
Loffen
Legend
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 16,719
vCash: 500
Drury seems ice-cold 24/7... Even after a big win, or a brutal loss. It bothers me a little bit. I don't think he's a guy that can fire a group up.

But I doubt stripping the 'C' makes any sort of posetive impact this season anyway...

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 03:12 PM
  #98
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,352
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Drury seems ice-cold 24/7... Even after a big win, or a brutal loss. It bothers me a little bit. I don't think he's a guy that can fire a group up.

But I doubt stripping the 'C' makes any sort of impact this season...
The coach is a fiery bloke. That doesn't seem to have an effect.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 03:13 PM
  #99
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 6,108
vCash: 500
It really doesn't even matter anymore. This team is so flawed on so many levels that we could have Alf, Teddy Ruxpin, or Chairy as our Captain and we'd still be the same horrific team with no guts and MINIMAL skill.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 04:06 PM
  #100
HoosierDaddy
Registered User
 
HoosierDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
Ya know, I like Drury but I think he's in a place right now where we don't see his leadership abilities because it's behind closed doors.





Maybe he left his leadership at home in his working pants

I've heard everything. That's about as intangible as you can get. Show it on the ice. Leave the excuses at the door. It's painful to read all the excuses people make for him. He's a decent 3rd liner. No more, no less.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.