HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers interested in Ales Kotalik

Old
01-24-2010, 07:09 PM
darko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
If we could get a 2nd or 3rd rounder back I would be satisfied with that.

I would be satisfied if they would just take him for nothing. It's what you call addition by subtraction.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Panthers are certainly desperate for some scoring and aren't known for dishing out large contracts. I'd imagine $3MM for the next couple years for 20-25 goals would be alright with them.

I wouldn't expect much in return, but as some folks have mentioned, this deal would be addition by subtraction. That is of course assuming we don't take an equally lousy contract back.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 07:58 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Pete DeBoer is a very good coach. I can't see him wanting a simpleton like Kotalik on his team for the next three seasons, especially when he'll basically be forced to give him time with the top PP unit and at the least, top 9 minutes.

The contract would suit them, but his play...I don't know.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Pete DeBoer is a very good coach. I can't see him wanting a simpleton like Kotalik on his team for the next three seasons, especially when he'll basically be forced to give him time with the top PP unit and at the least, top 9 minutes.

The contract would suit them, but his play...I don't know.
Sometimes you have to settle for whatever you can get. You know how these small market teams are.

I don't think Florida wants to have another season where they're battling for a playoff spot at the last minute. If they add a guy like Kotalik and he can provide some goal scoring, it might be worth the baggage he comes with.

Old
01-24-2010, 08:06 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Sometimes you have to settle for whatever you can get. You know how these small market teams are.

I don't think Florida wants to have another season where they're battling for a playoff spot at the last minute. If they add a guy like Kotalik and he can provide some goal scoring, it might be worth the baggage he comes with.
You might be right. And I guess even if he doesn't work out, then they can work out a loan with a Russian team.

Old
01-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
You might be right. And I guess even if he doesn't work out, then they can work out a loan with a Russian team.
Probably. I think they'll make a move before the Olympic break to bring in some offense. That way they can figure out if they're going to be sellers or buyers at the deadline before the deadline actually arrives.

Old
01-24-2010, 08:46 PM
tjs252

Mccabe and Kotalik on the PP is sure to give them an upgrade. He actually makes a good deal of sense for them

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 08:56 PM
OverTheCap

Doesn't Kotalik have an NTC of some sort?

Not sure he would waive it to go to Florida. He gets his own limo here and whatnot, the Panthers probably don't spoil their players like that.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post

Not sure he would waive it to go to Florida. He gets his own limo here and whatnot, the Panthers probably don't spoil their players like that.
Pretty sure he'd waive it. Warm weather or the press box? Pretty easy decision.

01-24-2010, 09:08 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Pretty sure he'd waive it. Warm weather or the press box? Pretty easy decision.
Yeah, I doubt he'd be complaining about getting paid and playing hockey in Miami at this time of year.

Old
01-24-2010, 09:33 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Panthers are certainly desperate for some scoring and aren't known for dishing out large contracts. I'd imagine $3MM for the next couple years for 20-25 goals would be alright with them.

I wouldn't expect much in return, but as some folks have mentioned, this deal would be addition by subtraction. That is of course assuming we don't take an equally lousy contract back.
As I would have us be sellers at the deadline I'd be ok with trading Kotalik for a player with a worse cap hit for this year IF it was an expiring contract. That said, looking at Florida's roster I don't see someone who fits that mold.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:35 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
As I would have us be sellers at the deadline I'd be ok with trading Kotalik for a player with a worse cap hit for this year IF it was an expiring contract. That said, looking at Florida's roster I don't see someone who fits that mold.
Leopold is a guy I would expect.

Old
01-24-2010, 09:39 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Leopold is a guy I would expect.
Perhaps, but he makes half what Kotalik does. I meant that I would take a guy with a 4.5M cap hit if he was gone after this season. If Stillman was a UFA after this year I'd take him for example.

Old
01-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
http://www.litterboxcats.com/2010/1/...eyeing-rangers

it is a link to the Ottawa sun. read the last line. Seems like rumors i broke might be true after all? Trouble with Trots wow i am shocked

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:42 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Perhaps, but he makes half what Kotalik does. I meant that I would take a guy with a 4.5M cap hit if he was gone after this season. If Stillman was a UFA after this year I'd take him for example.
Why would they give us Stillman? Especially for Kotalik.

I would expect something like Kotalik for Leopold and Dvorak or Leopold and Campbell.

Old
01-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Vitto79

Quote:

I would expect something like Kotalik for Leopold and Dvorak or Leopold and Campbell.
Rangers have to do anything that clears salary. Lets be realistic. the team is not going to win the cup so anything that can move Kotalik and Rozy lets say/ 8 million in cap space for next yr has to be done even if it hurts this yr and they have to go with younger bodies

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:45 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

I was using his salary as an example. But as I said, there really isn't anyone on the Panthers who makes more than Kotalik AND has an expiring contract...so it's a moot point.

Old
01-25-2010, 12:43 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

If we could trade Kotalik and Rosie for a pair of mid-round picks, I would be very happy. We would get $8 million to spent and a pair of picks to take a stab on high-risk, high-return kids who may have slipped into later rounds because of their size or injury, but who are very talented.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:28 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
And once done manipulating the personal offensive stats, look at the rest of his game.

Might be of value for the fantasy team. Not another NHL team, not with that contract.
Less than a year ago, he fetched a 2nd round pick. And he put up respectful numbers during his stint with Edmonton. I recall some Oilers fans saying they hope they can re-sign the guy.

I think the GM's around the league have a good understanding on the various things that could impact a player today. Tortorella isn't a players coach, and often butts-heads with players when he's unable to get what he wants from them.

I think Kotalik's value has dipped a bit, but certainly not to the point where he's impossible to move. GM's have proven to us time and time again, that proven goal-scorers are always high in demand, regardless of what potential baggage they carry.

Special Teams has never been more important either. Kotalik can improve a PP, and he can even manage to steal a point or two in a shootout. Teams that are on the bubble, might be very interested in someone like Kotalik. Especially since they know he wouldn't cost much, considering he's in the pressbox every night.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:51 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueNorwegian View Post
If you're going to move a non impact player like Kotalik, you can't expect to get an impact player in return.
I should have been clearer. What I meant was an impact player for this team. Not a impact player meaning a top forward or defenseman. I think an impact player for this team could be a stay at home physical d-man or perhaps a 4th liner who fights better than Voros but who isn't as useless as Brashear.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 08:17 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post

Kotalik would run to Fort Lauderdale if it meant getting away from Torts. Kotalik called this season "the most frustrating part of his career" last weekend.

Quote:
"The explanation is not worth using. I don't know what it is. There's probably something behind it," said Kotalik, a nine-year vet who also was a healthy scratch on Dec. 17 and 19th, but had played 12 straight since. Coach John Tortorella had been displeased with his 5-on-5 play, (he is minus-16), then trimmed some minutes in the past two games, but had continued to give him time on the point on the 1st power play unit.

"When Vinny Prospal was hurt, I scored a couple goals (in back-to-back games) and we talked about some things with the coaching staff and I started to feel better about myself and that my game was coming along," he said today. "When Vinny comes back I'm pushed to the fourth line. It's probably the most frustrating part of my career. I didn't expect this when I came here...to be the worst guy here--by that I mean, not good enough to be in the lineup."
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...reer-1.1706024

Forget about running. Kotalik would crawl on his hands and knees to get away from the coach.

Can't blame Kotalik. He plays 1 game with Prospal and Gabby and Torts says Kotalik is never playing there again. Kotalik played with Drury in Buffalo. How many shifts have they played together this season? Both players are struggling. Why not put them together for more than 1 period and see what happens? Kotalik isn't going to score playing on the 4th line. The team struggles to score 1 goal and they are sitting a player who gets 20-25 goals per season.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:37 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

I would be very satisfied if the Rangers could move Kotalik for a 3rd round pick in this year's draft.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:04 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I would be very satisfied if the Rangers could move Kotalik for a 3rd round pick in this year's draft.
I'd be happy if someone just wanted to take him, period. I'd take a ninth round pick for him at this point.

Wait, there's no such thing? Exactly, I'd waive him and give him up for free if we could. He brings nothing at ES and has been terrible on the PP when manning the point. Torts doesn't play him, so he's just a cluster of cap space that's going unused.

Let him go to the KHL on loan if we can/he wants.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:46 AM
94now

Can we get , say, Zherdev on loan in return? I know there are no inter-league trades, but mutual loaning could be done, couldn't it? Or it would be against CBA?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:46 PM
HoosierDaddy

Now you went and did it. You mentioned the Z word. Don't you know that name should not ever be mentioned in public? It's like the having a blue eyed, red-headed step-child in the family. You just pretend it never happened. Why there was even a poll that clearly showed Kotalik brought more to the club than Z. I laughed as hard then as I am now.

IMO the best move is to clear up cap space any way you can. We have to sign Staal next year. Bring up some guys from the pack and determine once and for all if they have a future with the club.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote