HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

One95 Fit Question

Old
01-23-2010, 12:01 PM
jsykes

vCash: 500
One95 Fit Question

Has anyone tried punching out the hard shell of the One95?

I have hard to fit feet. Very wide, pretty high volume. But the big thing is that I have bones that stick out on both my feet, left MUCH worse than the right, but I get huge pressure and pain on these bones. They are above my arch and about the area just below where the fourth and fifth eyelets are on the skates, sort of right at the Bauer logo on the boot.

I have been working to try to fit some Graf G70s, but even those I fail the pencil test with and get lace bite. We've got the bone issue solved through punching, but still need them wider in the forefoot and now I'm having trouble getting my heel locked in.

I tried on some One95s due to people saying how big the volume is, they feel pretty good. Still need a bit more width even with a wide, but I pass the pencil test ok. But do have a lot of pain on the bones, so the shells will need to be punched both there and at the forefoot.

How do these hard shells take to fairly significant punching out? Couple of the LHS I talked with advised against these and suggested the Grafs due to the softer boot for punching. But even the 70s I dont have the volume or a good heel fit, so not sold on those even though I can get the width and bone issue solved.

Hesitant to go with the One95s since the shops dont want to punch them without me buying so they dont screw up the boots for another if they dont work. But much of the rest of the boot feels decent.

So, short question made long, how do these boots take to punching? Do you guys think they might work? Next step would be full custom.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:53 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Try a flexlite or U+ before you try anything else or go custom.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 01:45 AM
jsykes

Tried both today. The Flexalites felt nice, but in the end, they just felt too "old school" to me and just lacked the protection, support and stiffness I'd like out of a new skate. Apparently there is a stiffer pro version, but without one to try on, not going to special order that.

The U+ was hard to tell. I know everyone says they must really be baked to know the truth, but if that cant/wont be done by the LHS, then how to know if it will really work or not? Felt like it didnt have the volume over the instep though of the others and I failed the pencil test with it, while I have clearance with a One95. Maybe all that would be fixed with a bake, but I dont feel like taking the chance for the money.

I drove 50 miles one way to try these two on as finding this stuff in stock in wide sizes is very difficult in my area.

Old
01-24-2010, 02:42 AM
wondeROY

what is this pencil test you speak of?

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 02:56 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Tried both today. The Flexalites felt nice, but in the end, they just felt too "old school" to me and just lacked the protection, support and stiffness I'd like out of a new skate. Apparently there is a stiffer pro version, but without one to try on, not going to special order that.

The U+ was hard to tell. I know everyone says they must really be baked to know the truth, but if that cant/wont be done by the LHS, then how to know if it will really work or not? Felt like it didnt have the volume over the instep though of the others and I failed the pencil test with it, while I have clearance with a One95. Maybe all that would be fixed with a bake, but I dont feel like taking the chance for the money.

I drove 50 miles one way to try these two on as finding this stuff in stock in wide sizes is very difficult in my area.
The pro flexlite fits the same. And if the volume isn't good on the U+, it's probably a good idea to avoid it. Your foot would settle in some, but not a whole lot.

And if you were considering grafs, why not flexlites? Grafs are rather old school as well.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:32 PM
jsykes

The flexalites just didnt feel very supportive or stiff. They felt like my 20 year old leather boots and didnt feel like paying they money I was really getting anything. I dont know how to describe it. Even the G70s felt much more substantial and stiff.

They do have a pro model that is supposed to be stiffer, lighter and more protective, but I hesitate to order that without seeing them and trying them on and my LHS will not special order them unless I pay up front since they do not stock them and would have to modify them for me regardless.

Old
01-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

I would try something besides the one95. Those skates are known as being better for narrow feet, especially through the ankle. CCM's, especially the U+, are known as being better for wider feet, but I think those are garbage skates. I would try to find a Graf if I were you, or order a _EEEE skate from your local shop.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 04:22 PM
jsykes

If you look, I've been trying Grafs and not having a lot of luck, the heel seems to be too wide for me.

What you say about the One95s seems to be totally opposite from what everyone else on earth seems to be saying, that they are a fairly roomy boot, and I certainly have found that they fit my width much better than other skates. My main problem is the bone that sticks out in the foot which has nothing to do with width.

Other than custom ordering wider doesnt seem to be an option since I'm already in wide skates.

CCM U+ were not wide enough and had less volume than the One95.

Old
01-24-2010, 04:30 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
I would try something besides the one95. Those skates are known as being better for narrow feet, especially through the ankle. CCM's, especially the U+, are known as being better for wider feet, but I think those are garbage skates. I would try to find a Graf if I were you, or order a _EEEE skate from your local shop.
Um, not true. The one95's are really pretty wide except medium wide in the ankle, but they are FULLY thermoformable, so they will fit almost any ankle except bigfoot.

Last edited by BadHammy*: 01-24-2010 at 04:40 PM.
BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 04:43 PM
CanadaBacon

The flexlites seem great, love the traditional skates.

Prob gonna hit them up when my Missions die.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
If you look, I've been trying Grafs and not having a lot of luck, the heel seems to be too wide for me.

What you say about the One95s seems to be totally opposite from what everyone else on earth seems to be saying, that they are a fairly roomy boot, and I certainly have found that they fit my width much better than other skates. My main problem is the bone that sticks out in the foot which has nothing to do with width.

Other than custom ordering wider doesnt seem to be an option since I'm already in wide skates.

CCM U+ were not wide enough and had less volume than the One95.
I was just going based on what I was told by the salesman at Pro Hockey Life. He told me that the one95s would fit like my vapor 60's but would be more narrow in the ankle. I suppose that this is incorrect based on what you guys have been saying.

Also, about the grafs, there are several models and they all fit differently, some are made for wide heel, narrow heel, etc.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 06:57 PM
jsykes

Quote:
I was just going based on what I was told by the salesman at Pro Hockey Life. He told me that the one95s would fit like my vapor 60's but would be more narrow in the ankle. I suppose that this is incorrect based on what you guys have been saying.

Also, about the grafs, there are several models and they all fit differently, some are made for wide heel, narrow heel, etc.
No problem, I've learned a lot more about skates in the last week than any normal person probably needs to know. LOL

I have looked at other models of Grafs too. The G70, which I've been working with is the deepest fitting of the boots, which is what I need for my high volume instep. However, with that model, my heel doesnt seem to work too well.

We've punched out for the bone, we've stretched the already wide toe box and mid foot and that has started to fit ok, the left foot doesnt fit bad, but I just cannot seem to do anything to keep the right heel from moving around, which is why I started to look elsewhere.

CCM doesnt seem to have enough width or volume, though hard to tell cause everyone says they really need to be heat molded for best fit. RBK didnt have enough volume nor the Eastons. Vapors were a bit narrow, but can probably be stretched, dont really have the volume I need, but also didnt create too much lace bite like other skates, so havent totally ruled them out. One95s seemed to have more volume, keep my heel planted and be ALMOST wide enough in forefoot. My question here was whether or not that really stiff boot can be punched out as easy as others to work the bone issue I have and the width issue.

Seems they can, so I'm going to try them again tomorrow and see what I come up with.

Flexalites were actually the best fitting in the sense of the old school soft boot design. However, I just feel that if I'm doing the whole new skate thing, I want more stiffness, protection, less weight, and some of the other power transfer advantages the newer designs offer.

I have a skate that is "old school" right now that works just fine, going to Flexalites seems like too much of a lateral move to be worth spending the money as the old skates still function and dont NEED replacing.

So I'm of the notion that if I cant get a new stiff design skate to work, I'll just keep what I have and live with them for awhile till they totally fall apart.

Thanks for all the input though guys.

Old
01-25-2010, 02:08 AM
thedonger

Quote:

you've obviously never tried them on yourself.

i've tried on 9K in 5.5E and 6D, U+ pro reloaded in 6D and E, flexlite 4.0 pro 6D, one95 6D and EE, and X60 6D and EE, finally settled on the X60 6EE.

outside of the flexlites, the one95 were no question the widest skates to me, both in D and EE. the U+ had the most volume for me but i thought they were actually pretty narrow in the forefoot, about equal to the x60's, but with a wider heel.

the other thing to add to that comparison is that x60's just about fit my foot perfectly lengthwise, while i felt like i'd need to go down to a 5.5 in the U+, which kinda makes sense if you go by the holder size theory. U+ 6D/E uses a 263 holder while the X60 6D/EE as well as the U+ 5.5 use a 254 holder. no doubt the 5.5 U+ would've been way too narrow for me in comparison.

btw, i've also tried on several grafs...G3, G35/735 and G5. none of them fit me anywhere near as well as my X60's. the only other 2 skates i felt came close were the 9K 5.5E(a bit too roomy in the heel/ankle) and the one95(a bit too much volume).

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:10 AM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
The flexlites seem great, love the traditional skates.

Prob gonna hit them up when my Missions die.
if you like the fit of your missions, i'd steer clear of the flexlites. they don't fit anything like missions which are known to be a narrower/low volume skate. the flexlites are pretty the complete opposite, wide with a good amount of volume.

Old
01-25-2010, 12:23 PM
jsykes

What did you think of the Flexalite Pro? I thought that the normal Flexalite was not sturdy enough for what I wanted, the pro is supposed to be stiffer, lighter, better tongue, etc.

I just dont want to order those without knowing, what was your thoughts compared to the Vapor and One95?

Old
01-25-2010, 07:41 PM
thedonger

Quote:
What did you think of the Flexalite Pro? I thought that the normal Flexalite was not sturdy enough for what I wanted, the pro is supposed to be stiffer, lighter, better tongue, etc.

I just dont want to order those without knowing, what was your thoughts compared to the Vapor and One95?
the flexlite pro's i tried are actually my brother's. and i'd say they are exactly how you describe them. stiffness-wise, they're not quite as stiff as my X60's, but just a touch stiffer, imo, than the 9K's. i gotta admit, they are surprisingly light as well. the fit is no different than the non-pro 4.0's.

Old
01-25-2010, 07:57 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:

Keep in mind that the majority of the people PHL hires are just random teenagers who may or may not know **** all about hockey

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote