HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shoulder pad recommendation

Old
01-24-2010, 01:31 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

vCash: 500
Shoulder pad recommendation

I've currently got the vector 10 shoulder pads, which are great. I had the supreme 70's before that and they're way too bulky, and I need a secondary pair. I'm considering the s17 and vapor xxxx, thoughts? I'm looking for medium protectiveness and light weight with high mobility, anything up to $100 is fine...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 08:59 AM
stick9

I've been very happy with the CCM V06 shoulders I bought last spring. Light weight, great mobility, and decent protection. If you're playing full contact maybe step up to the V08's.

Out of the stuff I looked at (Bauer, Easton, & Mission) the CCM's seemed to have the lowest profile shoulder caps, the Eastons being second. The Eastons in V06's price range looked a little flimsy.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Farrell's. They are protective and literally feel like youre wearing nothing. I know they look goofy and like they wouldn't be protective, but they are and playing the game in them is awesome.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:52 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
Farrell's. They are protective and literally feel like youre wearing nothing. I know they look goofy and like they wouldn't be protective, but they are and playing the game in them is awesome.
^^ Im snagging a pair next time I need new shoulders for sure. Just seems like its a huge benefit towards your game not having the issue of the regular shoulderpad constraint.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
I have Farrells and I would suggest just trying on a pair before buying anything else. A little above your price range but they could be the last pair of shoulder pads you buy. They fit differently than any other shoulder pad out there save the classic old school shoulders but IMO the are woth every penny. I've had mine for 2 years now and they are holding up perfectly and I have never had a stick or puck make it's way through the blocks despite what you'll read. If you're playing in a full check league then maybe they aren't what you want but for the average beer leaguer they are a great choice.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you can, I'd really recommend getting out there and trying everything on. The fit varies depending on the manufacturer and product line.

For me, personally, I'm using a pair of Vapor XXV's. I wanted something more substantial than my old 5030's because I play defense and was getting a lot of bruises and wanted some chest protection just in case (don't want a heart attack on the ice). They are pretty lightweight and don't keep me to warm out there.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:33 PM
trisgale

FWIW, I'm just a beginner, I had the s17's and the bauer xxxx on my list when I wen't looking for shoulder pads, and walked out with the xxxx's felt a little lighter and way more mobile.

trisgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisgale View Post
FWIW, I'm just a beginner, I had the s17's and the bauer xxxx on my list when I wen't looking for shoulder pads, and walked out with the xxxx's felt a little lighter and way more mobile.
If you're a beginner then you're probably spending too much money on shoulder pads. In beginner leagues you'll get hacks who waive their sticks around like it's a lightSabre challenge at comic con so you do need protection but fit should be the main concern. You don't want to feel like a middle linebacker which is the problem I had with Easton's. I'd focus my money on skates, sticks, pickup games and power skating lessons. When it comes to your protective gear I would focus solely on fit and comfort and not price.

Old
01-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Frankie Spankie

Also came here to recommend Farrel shoulder pads. They are absolutely amazing. They breathe so well and they're so light. They look a bit goofy but they actually offer a lot of protection. I had my brother punch me in the back with the shoulder pads on and other than the push, I really didn't feel any pain. I love these and honestly think they're a bargain for $100~. I know some sites have the older model for like $120 but I bought a pair at a local hockey store for $100 even. Maybe you can try out a local store.

Also try to at least go to a local store to try a pair on, even if you do decide to buy a pair online. The sizes are a bit awkward. A lot of people say that they needed to get a size down from usual. I actually got Large which is what I usually get anyway. Medium was a lot more snug for me but it was just a little too tight for comfort so I went for the looser, large pair.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
^^ Im snagging a pair (Farrell's) next time I need new shoulders for sure. Just seems like its a huge benefit towards your game not having the issue of the regular shoulderpad constraint.
I bought some and they are beyond awesome, no restrictions in arm movement and feel like you are not wearing anything. Mine weigh about 2 pounds or so but they are a large senior size.

I wear XL for everything and actually had to return these becauyse they were too big.

They run big in size so if you usually wear a large get a medium so on and so forth.

What I love about them is for beer league I take the shoulder caps off and the rest of the plastic velcroed armor off and just use the vest. They are super and easy to throw in the wash and hang drying.

Wearing them I have been hit with a half slap and hard wrister and I felt none of them. Literally i felt almost nothing. I felt it hit but no pain, they really absorbed the shock.

I also wear the 5 pad compression short and have been hit in the ass with a slapper in warmups and also felt nothing with that.

Great stuff.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:22 PM
trisgale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
If you're a beginner then you're probably spending too much money on shoulder pads. In beginner leagues you'll get hacks who waive their sticks around like it's a lightSabre challenge at comic con so you do need protection but fit should be the main concern. You don't want to feel like a middle linebacker which is the problem I had with Easton's. I'd focus my money on skates, sticks, pickup games and power skating lessons. When it comes to your protective gear I would focus solely on fit and comfort and not price.

That pretty much sums up my experience, the LHS guy asked me what I wanted and I said I wanted to try s17's since they looked pretty cool on the net. I was excited to get some cool gear since it is my first purchase. He kinda gave me a wierd look and showed up with the s17 and the xxxx's. The xxxx's were on clearance and told me to try the xxxx's after I try the s17's. I liked the fit of the xxxx's and the price was right! If the xxxx's are overkill for me it sure doesn't feel like it.

trisgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:29 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisgale View Post
That pretty much sums up my experience, the LHS guy asked me what I wanted and I said I wanted to try s17's since they looked pretty cool on the net. I was excited to get some cool gear since it is my first purchase. He kinda gave me a wierd look and showed up with the s17 and the xxxx's. The xxxx's were on clearance and told me to try the xxxx's after I try the s17's. I liked the fit of the xxxx's and the price was right! If the xxxx's are overkill for me it sure doesn't feel like it.
Being in SoCal you have a lot of stores to try stuff on. I live there as well, so you have HockeyGiant, HockeyMonkey, Anaheim Ice has a good shop, Riverside IceTown has a small Hockey Monkey store, so we are kind of lucky to be where we are when it comes to finding the right equipment. If you time it right you can just purchase last years stuff for next to nothing and still have high end equipment.

Old
01-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

A lot of the top end shoulder pads nowadays are pretty mobile, even if they are massive and have tons of protection. I personally had to go through a lot of shoulders because I have really wide shoulders (like size L) but a small chest (like size S/M).

I tried some Itech 655's but they would ride up and felt like they were choking me, some Sherwood 5030's but they would untie during games and never gave me any protection from slappers, some cheap Winnwells that felt like I was wearing a wool blanket, and some Mission M-1's or M-2's that were linebacker pads that also felt like a wool blanket. The Vapor XXV's were the best pads that didn't ride up and still kept me relatively cool on the ice.

The moral of the story is to try on a bunch of stuff and move around every way possible in the store so you don't have to buy and sell the pads.

Old
01-28-2010, 06:48 PM
KingKlappers

I'm not a fan of REEBOK when it comes to sticks, helmets or skates. (No offense meant, it's just a personal preference) But, they make a fantastic line of protective gear that's powered by JOFA. When I played minor hockey JOFA was always the shoulder pads to go with and when I found the RBK 9K shouldys I was ecstatic to see they used JOFA technology. They're great.

KingKlappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKlappers View Post
I'm not a fan of REEBOK when it comes to sticks, helmets or skates. (No offense meant, it's just a personal preference) But, they make a fantastic line of protective gear that's powered by JOFA. When I played minor hockey JOFA was always the shoulder pads to go with and when I found the RBK 9K shouldys I was ecstatic to see they used JOFA technology. They're great.
Reebok is the overwhelming choice of pros. Saw some pics of the Wild lockerroom and virutally every stall was filled with Reebok protective equipment.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I thought Reebok was the only approved elbow pad in the league (soft caps on the elbows)? But yeah, the JOFA stuff is the best for heavy-duty protection. I've heard bad things about the quality of their latest stuff, and it's expensive, but from a features standpoint they look like the best out there.

Old
01-29-2010, 09:28 AM
oileral

Sherwood SP 5030 Tradition Shoulder Pads

oileral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
I've been very happy with the CCM V06 shoulders I bought last spring. Light weight, great mobility, and decent protection. If you're playing full contact maybe step up to the V08's.

Out of the stuff I looked at (Bauer, Easton, & Mission) the CCM's seemed to have the lowest profile shoulder caps, the Eastons being second. The Eastons in V06's price range looked a little flimsy.
I also wear the CCM V06s, and I love them. I never think about them during a game, and I've absorbed some punishing hits without injury with them. Plus they're pretty cheap.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oileral View Post

that's how I roll. I just play pick-up for the most part though due to my schedule.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 12:31 PM
4Hockey4

Bauer XXV's - great side and longer in the back, w/o being tight. Also less than XXXX's and for mid use are great

4Hockey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 12:44 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
that's how I roll. I just play pick-up for the most part though due to my schedule.
Same here...Bought a pair a few years ago for @ $40 or something. In Non contact Mens leagues, you may not even need shoulder pads, and these things are like you are wearing nothing at all.

I used to have the old CCM Ultra monstrosities, and wanted to downsize for more mobility....these are perfect.

Also went with the raditional Elbow pads. the molded ones i used to have hurt if i fell on an elbo. The traditionals are basically just padding....

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 02:15 PM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:

He actually wants some protection though. Those are 'little to none', not 'medium'.

CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
He actually wants some protection though. Those are 'little to none', not 'medium'.
And those still offer more protection than Brendan Shanahan used in his NHL career. he had just the shoulder caps left on a ragged "thing" he called a vest.

i saw him talk about them in an interview a couple of years ago and I could not believe he was still using his highschool pads.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:22 AM
nyr33

anyone try the bauer pro defenders? they look sweet and are really cheap now. I want to be able to move and not have huge bulky pads, and the farrells are really goofy.

nyr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr33 View Post
anyone try the bauer pro defenders? they look sweet and are really cheap now. I want to be able to move and not have huge bulky pads, and the farrells are really goofy.
You definitely want to be ready for the fashion show in case the ice rink you play at has a runway.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote