HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Souray wants out of EDM; any CHI interest?

Old
01-25-2010, 07:35 PM
CommittedIndians

vCash: 500
Souray wants out of EDM; any CHI interest?

The Hawks are probably looking to add depth on the blue line, and TSN is reporting that Sheldon Souray has given EDM management a list of teams for whom he would waive his no-trade clause. I cannot imagine CHI wouldn't be on that list.

He carries a cap # of $5.4M for two more years.

Anyone else see some scenario whereby the Hawks make a deal that would, in some mix of players/teams, end up w/ Souray in a Hawks' sweater and Huet in Edmonton? The cap numbers and years are about even, and EDM actually needs a goalie. The problem is that they don't have one to send back... thus, the sticky part of the deal.

Thoughts?

CommittedIndians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Diskothek

Well they'd need a good young D going back, so start with Barker and go from there. A little more than 2M left to make up, right?

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:49 PM
CommittedIndians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
Well they'd need a good young D going back, so start with Barker and go from there. A little more than 2M left to make up, right?
Like I said, in a perfect world we would unload Huet in the deal to level off the cap hits... but a deal involving Barker + Huet for Souray + ________, or get a third team involved and move a few more pieces

Old
01-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommittedIndians View Post
Like I said, in a perfect world we would unload Huet in the deal to level off the cap hits... but a deal involving Barker + Huet for Souray + ________, or get a third team involved and move a few more pieces
Seeing how the Khabibulin experiment turned out I'd be surprised if Edmonton would want anything to do with another Hawks goaltender.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:01 PM
CommittedIndians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Seeing how the Khabibulin experiment turned out I'd be surprised if Edmonton would want anything to do with another Hawks goaltender.
Touche

Old
01-25-2010, 09:04 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

It would be rather hilarious to see Khabby/Huet in Edmonton though

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Blue Liner

Them going after Khabi didn't shock me, I knew someone would pick him up and I thought he was definitely worth picking, but the deal they gave him is crazy. Four years for a 37 year old goaltender who's had injury issues essentially every season the past few? That's not a very good deal. That would be hilarious though if that tandem wound up together again.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Sevanston

If they play together again, I'd expect Huet to go absolutely nuts and play his ass off to prove he deserves the #1 spot over Khabi

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:04 PM
LarmerAmonteSeabrook

There are at least a couple more blue liners I'd rather have: Volchenkov or Niedermayer.

LarmerAmonteSeabrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:14 AM
stingo

I agree. Niedermeyer or Volchenkov would be unreal.

stingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Them going after Khabi didn't shock me, I knew someone would pick him up and I thought he was definitely worth picking, but the deal they gave him is crazy. Four years for a 37 year old goaltender who's had injury issues essentially every season the past few? That's not a very good deal. That would be hilarious though if that tandem wound up together again.
I think the plan around signing Khabby was that it would set them up for getting Taylor Hall. So far it's working perfectly.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:46 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
c'mon now ... don't start using that deficit spending approach that the government uses. We're already got to unload at least $10M from this season's payroll just to fit the players we have under contract under the salary cap. Swapping Barker for Souray puts us another $2.3 deeper in the hole and takes away one of the players most likely to be traded for picks or cheap prospects. So then we would be have to unload at least $12M+ and not have Barker around as one of those tradeable assets.

EbonyRaptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Pucklington

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommittedIndians View Post
The Hawks are probably looking to add depth on the blue line, and TSN is reporting that Sheldon Souray has given EDM management a list of teams for whom he would waive his no-trade clause. I cannot imagine CHI wouldn't be on that list.

He carries a cap # of $5.4M for two more years.

Anyone else see some scenario whereby the Hawks make a deal that would, in some mix of players/teams, end up w/ Souray in a Hawks' sweater and Huet in Edmonton? The cap numbers and years are about even, and EDM actually needs a goalie. The problem is that they don't have one to send back... thus, the sticky part of the deal.

Thoughts?
Just to clarify, Souray does NOT want out but has given his list per managements wish. Edmonton fans are a bit touchy about players wanting out. He was on television yesterday talking about this in length.

Also I don't believe Chicago is on the list, if he is asked to waive his NTC, it would be teams located in the West. Chicago is pretty far east. He went out of the way to say family is more important then hockey (his kids are in LA).

Pucklington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Hawkaholic

Not a chance he lands in Chicago. They can't afford any big contracts next year, so who do they get rid of?

They aren't trading Huet, unless it's for Turco or Giguere.
Campbell has a no trade and I guarentee he won't waive it to go there.

Hossa, Toews, Kane, Keith, and Seabrook aren't going anywhere.

There is no way the Hawks are looking at Souray.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote