HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it time for a new Captain?

View Poll Results: Who would you like to see named Captain of the NY Rangers
Drury- I wouldn't change a thing 27 19.29%
Avery- I like living on the edge 18 12.86%
Lundqvist- He is the Keystone 36 25.71%
Gaborik- Good at hockey 15 10.71%
Other- Callahan, Jagr, Kovulchuk? 44 31.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-25-2010, 04:10 PM
HoosierDaddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1940rip View Post
Makes you wonder how much of an effect losing Bettsy to bring in Brashear has had on the locker room. This team just hasn't galvanized, and Drury hasn't the personality to rally the troops.
You make a good point. Why put it on the line for the team wen they'll just dump the first chance they get and bring in the guys you wen't to with against. Loyalty is a twp-way street.

It's every man for himself.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Fletch

unfortunately, this leadership stuff is something that probably shouldn't be debated among those who really do not know first hand what's really going on. Everyone leads in different ways, and everyone approaches things differently. We hate the word intangible because it's not measured on the back of a playing card so we struggle with how effective a leader is and then base a team's effort, or their record, on that leader. When the record is bad, the leader is bad. When the record is good, most often the team is good and only some leaders are referenced as being good. We can talk about our thoughts on a guy like Messier because he's outspoken. A good leader doesn't have to be outspoken. People follow leaders in different ways. In Drury's case - maybe he takes the time in practice to tell kids what should be done. Maybe he works his butt off in practice which people may notice and follow. Maybe people notice when he goes in front of the puck or comes onto the ice when he's obviously injured. Personally, I can't tell you from where I sit what kind of effect Drury has on his teammates. If the effort's not there, it's not all Drury's fault. There were Rangers teams with Messier where there was little effort.

I guess what I'm saying is I just don't know, and it's tough for us to know. A leader's good if the follower's follow to the best of their abilities. Perhaps some Rangers' abilities just aren't that great.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 04:57 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
You make a good point. Why put it on the line for the team wen they'll just dump the first chance they get and bring in the guys you wen't to with against. Loyalty is a twp-way street.

It's every man for himself.
This line of thinking would make sense if they were worse this year but that's not the case.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 05:08 PM
DutchShamrock

Come on, Fletch. With that rationale we may as well just shut down the message boards all together. It's not like the vote carries any weight, like the Rangers have to honor our tally.

We don't know what's going on in the lockerroom, but we certainly know what's going on on the ice. Or should I say what's not going on on the ice. There is no unity, no fight, no back up, no emotion. It may be the fact that there are 20 individuals on the ice, but it is up to the captain to unify and lead them by example or word. I know that there is some way to get that group to protect each other and act like a team. If Drury isn't the man for the job than he should get out of the way.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Avery has come a long way. Yea, he's still the same old Avery, but he's putting a lot of emphasis on what to say. Still, I wouldn't consider him as a potential candidate. The guy can't even draw a penalty when he's tripped in front of a Referee. And his lack of self-control, combined with Torts, just has chaos written all over. Gaborik shouldn't be considered as Captain either. The fact that Torts chose Callahan and Prospal as Alternates, over Marian, says they don't want to add additional pressure on him. I've expressed my concern with Drury, and do agree he shouldn't be Captain of this team. I honestly think we should remain Captainless, but we all know that's not going to happen. Drury will remain Captain until his contract is up.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Fletch

Dutch...

just trying to make a point how difficult it is for us to measure something intangible. Unfortunately everybody needs to point a finger. When things go bad, we look to the coach or next most visible person, and in this case it's an underperforming captain with a large contract - great target. My point is that because it's an intangible, the effectiveness of which is tough for us to measure and as such, it's really tough to say if he's not being effective and perhaps this is the result moreso of an average team with a game plan that's meant for a team with better horses and thus the coaching strategy may not be the right one for this group, which already is a flawed group.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Unpredictable1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post

Maybe he left his leadership at home in his working pants

I've heard everything. That's about as intangible as you can get. Show it on the ice. Leave the excuses at the door. It's painful to read all the excuses people make for him. He's a decent 3rd liner. No more, no less.
I'm glad you found comedic relief in that, but my point is whatever leadership he's displaying - we're not seeing it outside of the dressing room. Going on through my post I would have thought you gathered that. It was no attempt at an excuse, but you as a Drury hater (I'm assuming?) made sure to pull that out of my post and twist it in your own fashion.

I made no comment on how he is playing or what line I think he should be on. Actually, me saying we're not seeing the leadership outside of the room would lead one to believe that I think he's not doing what he needs to do out on the ice. I agree he is a 3rd line to borderline 2nd line if he's on his game with the right linemates. The only thing that hasn't diminished is his defensive game.

In fact, I actually think he'd be better off without the pressure of being Captain but it wouldn't be good to change that this far in the season.

Unpredictable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 08:00 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan_79 View Post
Some may disagree but Marian Gaborik should be the captain.

You want your team to look up to the captain for inspiration.

I can only wonder what makes Drury a top candidate for captain when he does nothing above average. shoot, score, check, fight. etc...

The man seems to be one of the quietest players on the bench and his play on the ice is not leading by example.

We can all rest assured of one thing.....He will not let it ruin his weekend.
If seeing a guy take a Kovalchuk slapshot to the ankle, get back up after limping around, and then block another one, and do that sort of thing doesn't inspire a team to some point, IDK what does.

Having played and watched a lot of lower level hockey, IMO stuff like forechceking hard, creating turnovers, blocking shots, defensive plays, those things inspire a player more than a pretty goal. Or a lot of goals.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 08:33 PM
In The Flesh

This team needs a culture change. From what we can tell, there is an evident leadership issue with team. Changing cpts. wouldn't hurt. Callahan is ready, he's perfect. Saying it wouldn't matter is horse ****.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Balej20*

This team needs to change everything from the owner down. That includes the Captain. For those saying it doesn't matter, it's that kind of mentality that has kept this team mediocre for almost 2 decades. Change EVERYTHING at this point. EVERYTHING. From the Captain, to the Alternate captains, to the GM, to the stick boy, to the zamboni guy, to the marketing department. Change it all. This organization is an EMBARASSMENT. And this Captain is the biggest embarassment to ever wear the C.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:11 PM
NYRSchrute217

It's been time for a new captain since Messier left

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:42 PM
satrabyk

Its funny to see that Drury is so opposite on NY to what we Sather brought him here for. He only plays well in games against teams that are sub 500 or in games hwen we are blowing out the other team. I thought he was supposed to be clutch lol. Anway who else could be captain of this team. The only guy that comes to mind is possibly Henrik, or Gaborik, but i dont know if would want to take on the C.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:49 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
This team needs to change everything from the owner down. That includes the Captain. For those saying it doesn't matter, it's that kind of mentality that has kept this team mediocre for almost 2 decades. Change EVERYTHING at this point. EVERYTHING. From the Captain, to the Alternate captains, to the GM, to the stick boy, to the zamboni guy, to the marketing department. Change it all. This organization is an EMBARASSMENT. And this Captain is the biggest embarassment to ever wear the C.
See i would not go nearly as far as to say that. For one our youth has done well, we have had some better drafting in recent years maybe owing to some scouts we have. Also why change to something that would just make a team have to start over again which is just not good. If your going to change personal thats one thing but changing A or C at this point with this team really means nothing trust me. Change the GM!

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:12 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
It's been time for a new captain since Messier left
Jagr was a great captain.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:21 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
I can't tell you how much I loved seeing other teams score goals on us because our great captain took his sweet time gliding to the bench. What a leader.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:21 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
I think everyone on the board should be required to take a slapshot to the shin and then forced to get back up and take another one to the same spot.

Then maybe they will appreciate what Chris Drury brings to this team...

also everyone should be brainwashed that Mark Messier ever existed...because I get the feeling that Jesus Christ Himself couldn't live up to Mess as captain...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:30 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
I think everyone on the board should be required to take a slapshot to the shin and then forced to get back up and take another one to the same spot.

Then maybe they will appreciate what Chris Drury brings to this team...

also everyone should be brainwashed that Mark Messier ever existed...because I get the feeling that Jesus Christ Himself couldn't live up to Mess as captain...
For $85,000 a game, I think I can absorb a slap shot or two. No problem. My vote is between Callahan and Lundqvist. Callahan is the ultimate hard worker and a great role model, while Lundqvist is the franchise player, who also happens to be reportedly quite vocal on team meetings and in the dressing room. Only iffy thing is he's the goalie, but so is Captain Luongo. Hank is already carrying the team, so I don't think he would feel any more pressure from having a C on his shoulder.

I honestly think Drury's game would (hopefully) become better if he didn't need to worry about the C.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:38 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
For $85,000 a game, I think I can absorb a slap shot or two. No problem.
I'd take 3 for a quarter of that.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:22 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Hank Hank Hank Hank Hank.

Who is obviously the leader on the ice? Hank

Who is the voice in the lockerroom? Hank.

Who is our franchise player? Hank

If the Nucks can do it with Luongo why can't the Rangers do it with Lundqvist?

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:24 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Agree Fly, I feel Jags has been the best since then also. Better than Leetch too.

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:38 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
I disagree. A captain should be able to call out his team when they suck, or rip them in the lockerroom. Jagr never did that. I loved Jagr but he wasn't captain material.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:05 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
I disagree. A captain should be able to call out his team when they suck, or rip them in the lockerroom. Jagr never did that. I loved Jagr but he wasn't captain material.
its interesting....when our coach does that, people seem to whine about it.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:38 AM
Hemlawk86

Drury needs to be traded. A good captain makes a big difference in a teams success.
Prospol or Gaborik need the C.

Hemlawk86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I can't tell you how much I loved seeing other teams score goals on us because our great captain took his sweet time gliding to the bench. What a leader.
Yea, he was terrible. I was utterly embarrassed by his 27 points in 23 playoff games for us.

I was also disheartened to hear about how hard he took losing...I believe it even ruined a Christmas or 2 for him.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
And Im not talking about idiots on a message board who know nothing about the situation...Im talking about teammates, you know, the guys that are actually in the lockerroom and know whats going on.
Those idiots coach the Rangers in fantasy leagues and video games. It's close enough.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote