HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Send AA to the AHL During Olympic Break

Old
01-25-2010, 08:36 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

vCash: 500
geeeez, looked like AA could've had 4 goals tonight, witht he nifty between the legs deflection and the post his shift right before his first goal.

brooksy definitely had a facepalm moment. gonna be hard to send down a kid, when you have a bunch of overpaid veterans giving you less per game than AA does with 10+ less shifts

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 08:42 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchkin71 View Post
But seriously, that's usually how it works on this boards - the most literal "what have you done for me lately" mindset in the world. When he scored and they said it was his first point of the month, it makes me wonder why anyone is against letting him get some AHL time?
Because apart from scoring -- something the entire team has struggled with -- he's actually been playing quite well.

But that's how it works on this board, if you don't show up on the scoresheet, you suck.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 08:45 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
geeeez, looked like AA could've had 4 goals tonight, witht he nifty between the legs deflection and the post his shift right before his first goal.

brooksy definitely had a facepalm moment. gonna be hard to send down a kid, when you have a bunch of overpaid veterans giving you less per game than AA does with 10+ less shifts
Everyone is taking the idea of sending AA down personally and viewing it as if Brooks feels AA doesn't deserve to be in the NHL.

How is it that no one can understand that, with AA having not had a point in 16 games and the Rangers playing awful hockey, Brooks thought it would be a good idea to get AA down in Hartford where he could regain his confidence (which got a healthy boost tonight) against lesser competition and keep him away from the negative influence of players who, it's reasonable to suspect, are enjoying the perks of their jobs without showing up to work, so to speak.

Yes, Brooks is an idiot who blows things out of proportion and, it seems, is willing to write anything to get a rise out of Tortorella, but regardless of AA's completely-out-of-nowhere two goals tonight, the idea of sending AA down to keep him in game situations and let him get some playing time against weaker opponents is a smart hockey suggestion, whether you like Brooks or not.

The suggestion that our locker room isn't necessarily the best environment for more impressionable young players right now probably isn't too far from the truth either, even if Brooks does make a clown of himself by throwing around words like "infection" and "toxic".

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 08:47 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Because apart from scoring -- something the entire team has struggled with -- he's actually been playing quite well.

But that's how it works on this board, if you don't show up on the scoresheet, you suck.
But no one, including Brooks, suggested that the reason for sending him down was because he sucked. Ignoring the fact that tonight was his first time recording a point in 17 games, it's simply a smart thought, to let a first year player who hasn't exactly been tearing it up, get some game time in down in the AHL, during the Olympic break. One of the other trends on this board; poor reading comprehension.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 08:48 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest AA just might have gotten some confidence back regarding his game.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:18 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

If the last Olympics are any indication, all kinds of players will be sent to the AHL for ice time during the Olympics. In fact, I think there may be a rule somewhere that allows only players who meet certain standards to go down. I'm all for keeping our young guys on the ice wherever possible.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest AA just might have gotten some confidence back regarding his game.
Can he maintain that though?

That's what I'm more interested in.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:11 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post

I don't think that was the argument for send him down Squish. More along the lines of let him regain his offensive confidence, call him back up and see what happens.

You can argue with that logic and make an excellent case, sure. But I think you're mischaracterizing what Brooks and others (myself included) were advocating for.

It's just pain.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 01-25-2010 at 10:17 PM.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:28 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
There's a roster freeze during the Olympics. I'm not sure you can send someone down to the AHL during the break. They will have to miss a couple games on either side, I believe.

Also, I believe you have to have at least 20 people on the Rangers roster at all times, even during the break. If they send some guys down, they're going to ahve to bring someone up, and if they do that, a Hartford player won't be able to play for the Pack for 3 weeks.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:30 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

not sure if anyone has actually listened to Torts' post game comments, but he was saying how happy he has been with AA's play, especially away from the puck. And he he trusts him in late game situations with his play away from the puck.

To me thats not a guy they are even remotely contemplating sending down, unless its strictly for the break.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:33 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RothmanHockey View Post
There's a roster freeze during the Olympics. I'm not sure you can send someone down to the AHL during the break. They will have to miss a couple games on either side, I believe.

Also, I believe you have to have at least 20 people on the Rangers roster at all times, even during the break. If they send some guys down, they're going to ahve to bring someone up, and if they do that, a Hartford player won't be able to play for the Pack for 3 weeks.
I think its 18 isnt it?

and they have what...22 right now?
dubi, voros, brashear, kotalik, lisin, christensen, CJ/Zaba, Henrik, prospal, gaborik, callahan, avery, drury, higgins, boyle, staal, girardi, mdz, gilroy, redden, rozsival, anisimov...am i forgetting anyone?

so they can send 4 guys down i guess?

AA, Gilroy...Lisin has options right? unsure about the MDZ situation...maybe send him on a conditioning stint or something...

Old
01-26-2010, 02:17 AM
HoosierDaddy

Brooks & Torurella are having a public pissing contest....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
not sure if anyone has actually listened to Torts' post game comments, but he was saying how happy he has been with AA's play, especially away from the puck. And he he trusts him in late game situations with his play away from the puck.

To me thats not a guy they are even remotely contemplating sending down, unless its strictly for the break.
Inferno, Brooks comments of the dysfunctional locker room is a shot at Torturella's stewardship. He's implying, for public consumption, that the coach has no clue. This is an extension of their public feud. The coach for his part is going to say that Brooks is FOS because he's extremely happy with Arty. He gives him more TOI and Arty gets some points. There. Take THAT Brooksie! If he were really happy with Arty's play he'd show it with more ice time like he did to last night.

I mentioned this once before, but Torturella should not get into a personal spat with a sports writer that can vent his spleen 6 days a week to millions of readers. He can't win. PERIOD.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 02:27 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i just wanna make sure im reading this correctly...you think Torts gave Anisimov more ice time because of Brooks' article?!?!?!

Old
01-26-2010, 02:37 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
i just wanna make sure im reading this correctly...you think Torts gave Anisimov more ice time because of Brooks' article?!?!?!
Yes. That is possible, judging from his regular ATOI for the season and his 16+ minutes ATOI last night. Helped he scored, but... You make it sound like it's beyond the realm of possibility. You have a coach that admittedly doesn't know what else to do to get the team going. Can't keep lines together for more than one period, and doles out PT on a whim.

But you missed the bigger issue in my post. He's engaged in a public feud that he cannot possibly win. ...the pen is mightier than the sword..." As a blogger I'm confident you understand this.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 02:58 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Yes. That is possible, judging from his regular ATOI for the season and his 16+ minutes ATOI last night. Helped he scored, but... You make it sound like it's beyond the realm of possibility. You have a coach that admittedly doesn't know what else to do to get the team going. Can't keep lines together for more than one period, and doles out PT on a whim.

But you missed the bigger issue in my post. He's engaged in a public feud that he cannot possibly win. ...the pen is mightier than the sword..." As a blogger I'm confident you understand this.
Anisimov played 15:46 in the game...he's played more minutes 8 times this year...I need to check but I'm almost positive each of those was not preceded by a Larry Brooks article regarding Anisimovs play.

Yes, I think it's absolutely beyond the realm of possibility that his ice time was a result of the article, I think it's a factor of Anisimov playing superb hockey from the moment the puck was dropped, and frankly hes been playing pretty damn good overall hockey this whole season.

BTW, in those 9 games, Anisimov has 3 goals and 6 assists for 9 points. I think it's far more likely that Torts, as he usually does, gives more ice time to the player the better he plays...

Old
01-26-2010, 03:07 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

btw, i dont mean to sound like such a schmuck..and i know i come off as one here, but to me, its just so ridiculous to suggest that it was Brooks' article that had anything to do with what happened during the game...i cant help but be snarky.

Last edited by Inferno: 01-26-2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old
01-26-2010, 03:30 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
btw, i dont mean to sound like such a schmuck..and i know i come off of one here, but to me, its just so ridiculous to suggest that it was Brooks' article that had anything to do with what happened during the game...i cant help but be snarky.
Gotta admit the timings is a bit fishy. Salty must not wanna go back to the AHL.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:22 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Someone read AA the Brooks column. Hartford? No way

The AHL is like kryptonite to the young Russians. They want to play in the NHL and want no part of the AHL if they had the choice.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:43 AM
DutchShamrock

Maybe Anisimov's good play earned him more ice time, not Brooks' article. Maybe.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 04:39 PM
RothmanHockey

I just asked the Rangers PR team, there is a roster freeze in effect during the Olympics from Feb. 15 - Mar. 1. So, you're not going to be able to just send guys down to get work in the A -- rosters are frozen.

You may ask, why not just send guys down after the game on Feb. 14, bring them back up before the first game on Mar. 2? I need to double-check on this, but I believe the team has to have at least 20 people on it at all times, even though they're in the Olympic break. I'll get confirmation on that last part, though.

Old
01-28-2010, 04:04 PM
RothmanHockey

I just checked with the NHL, who told me the roster freeze actually begins on February 12, NOT Feb. 15 as Rangers told me yesterday. So, you won't be able to send large numbers of players to the minors, because you won't be able to field a team on Feb. 14.

Old
01-28-2010, 04:05 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RothmanHockey View Post
I just checked with the NHL, who told me the roster freeze actually begins on February 12, NOT Feb. 15 as Rangers told me yesterday. So, you won't be able to send large numbers of players to the minors, because you won't be able to field a team on Feb. 14.
Thats good info. Thanks for that Rothman

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Emptyvoid

If AA really did read that article, someone should tell Brooks to make them more often about AA.

And perhaps other players as well that would react in a hard working positive fashion.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 07:38 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchkin71 View Post
Everyone is taking the idea of sending AA down personally and viewing it as if Brooks feels AA doesn't deserve to be in the NHL.

How is it that no one can understand that, with AA having not had a point in 16 games and the Rangers playing awful hockey, Brooks thought it would be a good idea to get AA down in Hartford where he could regain his confidence (which got a healthy boost tonight) against lesser competition and keep him away from the negative influence of players who, it's reasonable to suspect, are enjoying the perks of their jobs without showing up to work, so to speak.

Yes, Brooks is an idiot who blows things out of proportion and, it seems, is willing to write anything to get a rise out of Tortorella, but regardless of AA's completely-out-of-nowhere two goals tonight, the idea of sending AA down to keep him in game situations and let him get some playing time against weaker opponents is a smart hockey suggestion, whether you like Brooks or not.

The suggestion that our locker room isn't necessarily the best environment for more impressionable young players right now probably isn't too far from the truth either, even if Brooks does make a clown of himself by throwing around words like "infection" and "toxic".
The fact that he said Anisimov's(a rookie center) game is DETERIORATING speaks volumes to me. He's either a sensationalist or after all these year's he still doesn't understand a rookie is going to be extremely inconsistent, and that AA is actually doing great considering his defensive game has been fairly consistent. Eitherway, not a good thing to write.

My biggest problem is that he acts as though Anisimov's going to pick up some sort of bad habits from the way this team is that will prevent him from ever being as good as he could be. IMO some players probably grow better in a situation like that, makes them mentally stronger than other players if that makes any sense. If you play fairly well through a season like this you can play at the least fairly well on any type of team/situation. If Anisimov really becomes a lesser player because of the negative atmosphere Brooks is painting a picture of, what's that say about Anisimov's work ethic, or about him as a person?

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote