HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

What are your expectations on Tre Kronor at the Olympics?

View Poll Results: What are your expectations on Tre Kronor at the Olympics?
Gold 4 20.00%
Silver 3 15.00%
Bronze 6 30.00%
Semifinal 4 20.00%
Quarterfinal 1 5.00%
Worse (Is it technically even possible?) 1 5.00%
Who gives a **** about Ice hockey? Biathlon is where it's at! 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

vCash: 500
What are your expectations on Tre Kronor at the Olympics?

How far do you think Sweden will go in Vancouver?

I say Bronze.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Well, Tre Kronor usually brings home some kind of medal but my expectations are quite honestly low. Bronze would be a very good result as far as I'm concerned. The top teams, Canada and Russia look so very, very good. If one of those two doesn't take the gold it'll be quite the upset. Regarding Tre Kronor I think the team has an unhealthy mix of injured, old, declining and key players simply not playing up to their capacity this year. I think from a roster standpoint that this team is lacking in the role player, energy player category. Also there is the mix of small rinks and swedish "coaching" that usually don't bode well for us.

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 05:23 PM
zecke26

i voted helena jonsson, though i'd rather cheer for charlotte kalla. but that being said, i'd be glad about semi-finals.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Bronze will do, I guess.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
i voted helena jonsson, though i'd rather cheer for charlotte kalla. but that being said, i'd be glad about semi-finals.
The nordic skiing (xc, biathlon and jump) and the speed skating is what the core of the winter olympics is to me. I'll be watching the biathlon, the long distance speed skating and the cross country skiing. Traditionally cross country would be what I would watch the most, but I will probably not watch more than the short (10k for Kalla, 15k for the guys) distance and the relays since they have destroyed the 30k and 50k distances. Real skiing races should not end in sprint finishes.

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

To me the Winter Olympics is hockey and...

no, it's just hockey.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:37 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn View Post
The nordic skiing (xc, biathlon and jump) and the speed skating is what the core of the winter olympics is to me. I'll be watching the biathlon, the long distance speed skating and the cross country skiing. Traditionally cross country would be what I would watch the most, but I will probably not watch more than the short (10k for Kalla, 15k for the guys) distance and the relays since they have destroyed the 30k and 50k distances. Real skiing races should not end in sprint finishes.
I agree, last Olympics I followed the hockey tournament as the sub plot. The only thing I don't give a flying **** about is curling, the rest will be followed just as closely as the hockey. I'm really excited about the whole spectacle.

For my expectations I think bronze, everything above is a pleasant surprise. Fourth place would be a minor disappointment, and out in the quarters would feel like Nagano and Salt Lake all over whatever team we lose to. Losing to Finland is never okay though under any cicumstances

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:48 AM
KRM

Medal or bust.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:22 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Bronze, but I am interested in biathlon too.

It is one of the most awesome TV sports. Curling is also a nice TV sport, but it can't beat guns combined with skies.

On topic, anything can happen but Russia and Canada are both stacked. Tre kronor on the other hand is injury prone. The team will have more injuries than any other team mid-tournament.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 03:47 AM
Zam Boni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn View Post
Well, Tre Kronor usually brings home some kind of medal but my expectations are quite honestly low. Bronze would be a very good result as far as I'm concerned. The top teams, Canada and Russia look so very, very good. If one of those two doesn't take the gold it'll be quite the upset. Regarding Tre Kronor I think the team has an unhealthy mix of injured, old, declining and key players simply not playing up to their capacity this year. I think from a roster standpoint that this team is lacking in the role player, energy player category. Also there is the mix of small rinks and swedish "coaching" that usually don't bode well for us.
Agreed.

Zam Boni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:11 PM
D1az

I'm actually expecting you guys to surprise a lot of people and win gold.

D1az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Ribban

Riddarn said it very well, an unhealthy mix... swedish coaching...

"I have a bad feeling about this..."

We should make it to the semis, but if we end up as #4, I wouldn't call it a shocker.

However, truth to be told, we can argue the selection of #17, #18, wings on the checking line, third goalie, etc. But, overall, BÅG is going with the guys he has history with, and Sweden isn't better than #3 for the moment, no matter how we twist and turn the line-ups. I think it will be a different story in 2014 if the OGs is still a best of the best, but Sweden is a bit in between generations right now.

At the end of the day, all games will have to be settled on the ice, and a few luck/unlucky bounces are to be expected, so line-ups and stats only go so far.

I'm truly releaved to see BÅG gone after this. In hindsight, he should have been shipped out immediately after the double in 2006 as "historical" and "the best ever," which would have given him a totally different position to negotiate a new contract elsewhere, and Tre Kronor could have started the rebuilding process earlier. Win-Win. But, that is not reality, so we'll play these last tourneys out and thank off the last members of the "Golden Generation" once and for all with headlines about "Fiasko" before we get to put our golden expectations on the next generation led by, Hedman, Karlsson, Eriksson, A. Larsson, Omark, MSP, Tedenby, etc.

I sure hope we'll see more of guys like Grossman and Murray under Mårts reign, but the U-20 team selection didn't necessarily provide me with high hopes of seeing those kinds of players making more regular appearances in Tre Kronor with Mårts as a coach than when BÅG led the troops. Then again, it sounds like Swedish hockey is contemplating some fundmental change.

Time will tell.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:53 PM
jfc64

Let's go for the bronze medal...a medal is something, at least

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 02:59 AM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
Let's go for the bronze medal...a medal is something, at least
You're really saying that we shouldn't go for the Gold?
I don't expect anything, Tre kronor could win Gold or lose to Belarus again but I go into any hockey tournament hoping for gold. Always

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:57 AM
Hybbe

Anything less than a medal should be considered a failure. We have the third best squad imo, so I guess a bronze would be reasonable, but I will be disappointed if they lose in the semis.

Hybbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:16 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkageNoKeri View Post
You're really saying that we shouldn't go for the Gold?
I don't expect anything, Tre kronor could win Gold or lose to Belarus again but I go into any hockey tournament hoping for gold. Always
Let's go for the bronze. Sure Douggie is happy with a bronze. Imagine all the years in Canada and now he will have something to show for it. All the players back from injuries...a bronze is no disappointment seen in perspective. Remember the sweat in the forehead of Modin, Kronwall and others. Freddie Shoestring (Foppas replacement) will scream in happiness over a medal. Liv will do his best game in life in the bronze final against Slovakia. Remember we have no Sundins or Forsbergs anymore. Sedins are just today's news. Bäckström isn't ready and Zetterberg is just a Selke player. Bronze could be mistaken for something better in the price collection. Bronze is fine, bronze is fine. Fourth is just plain bad. The impeachment of the BAG will just make us even better in the bronze final. The joy of predicting the outcome is greater than setting up a goal that will never be met. I want my tea grey.

Last edited by jfc64: 01-26-2010 at 09:09 AM.
jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Arcader

Anything but gold is unacceptable.

Arcader is offline   Reply With Quote