HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Staal or Kopitar?

View Poll Results: Who do you draft in 05 knowing what you do today
Staal 28 22.76%
Kopitar 95 77.24%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
So, I was looking at the 2005 draft and it got me thinking. Assuming the Kings passed on Kopitar and knowing what we do today, who do you draft? Staal or Kopitar?

This is a hypothetical. If your going to waste our time posting things like "But they did draft Kopitar" don't even post here

I think I still draft Staal. This team would have serious problems without Staal for the last 3 years.
What's the next poll? "If you knew in 2003 what you know now, would you have chosen Jessiman or Getzlaf?"

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:21 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
What's the next poll? "If you knew in 2003 what you know now, would you have chosen Jessiman or Getzlaf?"
Not sure how I'd vote. While Getzlaf looks good, Jessiman has so much darned potential.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I can understand why you say that. Just look at how many #1 centers that have played for the Rangers in recent memory.

Staal might become Kevin Lowe eventaully, if he's very lucky. While Kopitar won't be Messier (how many are?), name centers on the Rangers in the last 40 years that you would take over Kopitar.
Oh you definitely have a point, I just think we also have not had too many shutdown Dmen. Whether you liken Staal to Langway or Robinson, we still have not had a guy like that either in a long time. We have him right now, and he's young and pretty impressive against the best the NHL has to offer.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLeetch2 View Post
not really kopitar is winning by a landslide....i also voted for kopitar....i dont understand how you dont vote for him
More than 30% of the votes are for Staal.

What do you think that percentage would be if posted on the main board, and not the Rangers' board?

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:20 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Right now I trade Staal for Kopitar...In a few years Staal could turn into the player you build a D around, but I don't think you would ever really regret the trade.
Kopitar is the kind of player you can build a team around already.

I just wish Staal played with more of an edge/agression. This I don't think will change much, it's just not in his DNA. You would think with 4 brothers so close in age they would have been beating the **** out of each other all the time.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:22 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post

What do you think that percentage would be if posted on the main board, and not the Rangers' board?
Probably like 8% or so. But that could be underselling Staal, since a lot of what he does gets lost in the general suckitude of our team. A lot of people don't realize exactly what he brings, because he's stuck with us.

For me, I'd take Kopitar--and like I said, by a good bit. But that's not to say that I don't think a case can be made for taking Staal. If you place an absolute premium on defense, then it's not crazy to take Staal.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:48 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Probably like 8% or so. But that could be underselling Staal, since a lot of what he does gets lost in the general suckitude of our team. A lot of people don't realize exactly what he brings, because he's stuck with us.

For me, I'd take Kopitar--and like I said, by a good bit. But that's not to say that I don't think a case can be made for taking Staal. If you place an absolute premium on defense, then it's not crazy to take Staal.
The suckitude of the Kings is in the same neighborhood as the Rangers. The difference is that a great center can elevate a team. Even a great defensive-defenseman cannot do the same. Orr, Potvin, Park, Leetch, Bourque etc., had the ability to lift a team because they contributed at both ends.

Langway and Robinson and Stevens were awesome but not in the class of the defensemen mentioned above. Staal might become like Langway and Robinson but I'd settle for another Kevin Lowe right now.

Kopitar often reminds me of Malkin. He may turn out to be that good. From Ratelle to Messier, no center that I can think of could match Kopitar, unless you want to count the short stint of a fading Gretzky and a similar Espo.

I think Kopitar is a franchise player and future Hall of Famer.

Old
01-26-2010, 02:02 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
The suckitude of the franchises may be equal, but people pay more attention to centers that put up points than to defensive defenseman. It's easier for Staal's contributions to go unnoticed is my point.

As far as Kopitar and Malkin...I don't know about that. Malkin's only one year older and one of the top three centers in the game. Kopitar is great, but has a ways to go to reach that top echelon. I doubt that Kopitar reaches what Malkin is now, let alone what Malkin could become. And I say this taking into full account the differing talent levels of their respective teams.

Future HOFer? Possibly, I'd say it's wayyyy to early to know.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

and again, some of us arent voting because they think Staal is worth more than Kopitar..its because, the way the question was phrased, leads to so many unknown possibilities it's definitely possible we could be worse off today than we are now, IE the butterfly effect.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:23 PM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post

I get your point but it was 80-20 in favor of kopitar when i posted still pretty close to that now but i agree on the mian board it might be at worst 90-10

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:22 PM
chosen

Quote:
The suckitude of the franchises may be equal, but people pay more attention to centers that put up points than to defensive defenseman. It's easier for Staal's contributions to go unnoticed is my point.

As far as Kopitar and Malkin...I don't know about that. Malkin's only one year older and one of the top three centers in the game. Kopitar is great, but has a ways to go to reach that top echelon. I doubt that Kopitar reaches what Malkin is now, let alone what Malkin could become. And I say this taking into full account the differing talent levels of their respective teams.

Future HOFer? Possibly, I'd say it's wayyyy to early to know.
I don't think Kopitar is or will ever be Malkin but it's not impossible. I said he reminds me of him.

HOF is way premature. Just a gut feeling I have about him.

But think about it. Name all of the Rangers centers in the last 40 years that were better than Kopitar currently is. It's both complimentary to Kopitar and an indictment of the Rangers.