HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it time for a new Captain?

View Poll Results: Who would you like to see named Captain of the NY Rangers
Drury- I wouldn't change a thing 27 19.29%
Avery- I like living on the edge 18 12.86%
Lundqvist- He is the Keystone 36 25.71%
Gaborik- Good at hockey 15 10.71%
Other- Callahan, Jagr, Kovulchuk? 44 31.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-26-2010, 12:31 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If Hank is the voice in the locker room and the leader on the ice, wouldn't that mean he's just as ineffective at leading the team as anyone else?

I've said this 100 times: You don't have to be wearing a letter to be a leader.
What if the guy who IS wearing the letter isnt fostering that kind of environment? Where other guys can lead. A lot of young guys, a lot of new guys and Sean Avery...

It is kind of interesting that the teams personality mirrors Drurys imo...

01-26-2010, 12:35 PM
TomLaidlaw

Why am I forced to watch Chris Drury play the point on our PP? Can someone explain the logic behind this?

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:42 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Why am I forced to watch Chris Drury play the point on our PP? Can someone explain the logic behind this?
I have been wondering the same thing for a couple of weeks. The guy is a great guy to have around the net and yet he plays the point. I wonder why he hasnt been able to score.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:54 PM
DM23BK30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yeah yeah Avery loves this team.....

But admit it, he loves himself way too much to be a Captain in this league. Does anyone doubt this? I like the guy, but lets not get carried away here
Only reason i mentioned Avery was the original list was slim. Henrik, Gabs, Drury?

Cally is my choice.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Shake and Bake

Id name all of the following captain over Drury:

Gaborik, Prospal, Callahan, Dubinsky, Henrik, Avery, hell even Staal

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I don't know, I know someone from HF that's relatively close with Avery (grew up together), and they've said that a lot of what you see with him is a show, and is intentional. They say he's not quite as full of himself as he comes across. I could see that being true...

...but yeah, the only part of Avery I know is one that absolutely loves himself.
Whether its show or not, its not stuff that good Captains bring to a team, IMO. I'd rather have a Drury who says nothing in public than Avery who 'airs it out'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Only reason i mentioned Avery was the original list was slim. Henrik, Gabs, Drury?

Cally is my choice.
Yeah its definitely slim, and I think THATS why Drury is the defacto Capt of this team, much like Jagr was a few years back.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
This isn't a discussion about Jagr, but since you feel the need to take shots...
Don't you understand, it's always about Jagr. Whether the topic is the Super Bowl, Haiti, cooking or quantum physics, Jagr's name will be mentioned and thereafter it will become an argument over Jagr.

Quote:
He had an injury free regular season and he was the most dominant player in the league.
Most dominant, yes. Injury free... if you mean, having a broken finger all season, sustaining a concussion at the Olympics and all the normal aches and pains of a player who takes more hits and slashes than any other, then yes.

Quote:
I'm not going to get into what happened in the regular season, because the playoffs are what matters anyways. He had 15 points in 10 games. He carried this team against a far superior opponent. And you're going to say that if not for his season, we would have gone further?
Yeah, and that's not even counting how many times Straka had an almost open net. Jagr might have been conserving his strength at times, yet despite playing much of the season with assorted new linemates he didn't click with, he turned it on enough to lead the team in scoring, help get them into the playoffs, then took them as far as he could while being the best forward in the playoffs. Not sure what more was expected of a 36 y/o after his center of two years was discarded.

As far as Jagr calling out his teammates, that's not his style. I thought coaches did that sort of thing. Who knows, maybe if he had used his broken English to tell Hank not to play so deep in the crease, explain to the other forwards that the point is to put the puck in the goal, and remind the defensemen not to leave opponents standing alone in the crease and to pass the puck to players with the same color jersey, then they would have won the Cup... somehow I doubt it.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Whether its show or not, its not stuff that good Captains bring to a team, IMO. I'd rather have a Drury who says nothing in public than Avery who 'airs it out'

Yeah its definitely slim, and I think THATS why Drury is the defacto Capt of this team, much like Jagr was a few years back.
Or the Rangers are trying to trick us into thinking that Drury has intangibles and excellent leadership, which has worked with a lot of our fans. Justify the signing

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
What if the guy who IS wearing the letter isnt fostering that kind of environment? Where other guys can lead. A lot of young guys, a lot of new guys and Sean Avery...

It is kind of interesting that the teams personality mirrors Drurys imo...

Then you have an even bigger problem on your hands where supposed "leaders" are refusing to step up. Still, what would be the premise behind that? Is Drury bullying them into not going against his leadership?

The teams personality mirrors the players on the team. They're all playing a passive game. Almost all of them are quiet or reserved when they address the media and have been that way for a long time. If players are solely reliant on one person to get them motivated, that goes far beyond the issue of the current captain.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Then you have an even bigger problem on your hands where supposed "leaders" are refusing to step up. Still, what would be the premise behind that? Is Drury bullying them into not going against his leadership?

The teams personality mirrors the players on the team. They're all playing a passive game. Almost all of them are quiet or reserved when they address the media and have been that way for a long time. If players are solely reliant on one person to get them motivated, that goes far beyond the issue of the current captain.
This.

Drury isn't a loud guy, neither is Staal, Callahan, Lundqvist, Dubinsky, etc. This team is actually full of quiet guys....The only ones that come to mind that is very outspoken (when not reined in) is Avery...but he's on a leash a lot.

The passionate guy on this team is the Coach and frankly, you need a player that will be passionate as well. Someone that will motivate and lead by example (cough messier cough).

The majority of people around the league are quiet though, all you really need is one or two guys that are very motivational, passionate, loud, etc. I don't know who has all those qualities (package) on the rangers.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:56 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
If Hank is the voice in the locker room and the leader on the ice, wouldn't that mean he's just as ineffective at leading the team as anyone else?

I've said this 100 times: You don't have to be wearing a letter to be a leader.
Can't say I disagree with you Trx but the idea of the thread was who would you want if we picked a new captain. I think it should be Hank. Are there even any other contenders cause I can't think of another one. To me its the obvious choice.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 06:32 AM
DutchShamrock

Just wanted to point out:

Nobody loves themselves more than Jagr does. He did a pretty good job as captain in this league.

Avery reminds me of Barnaby alot. He was a sideshow run out of a few towns, scratched alot and got about 10 points a year on the 4th line. He came here, Mess pulled him aside and told him he was better than that. He started playing hockey while using his grateness to the team's advantage. He took on responsibility and he became a good player and a great teammate during a very bad time. Nobody saw that ability in him until he was given the chance. I always thought he would have made a good captain here.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote