HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

McBain putting pieces in place for winning career

Old
01-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

vCash: 500
McBain putting pieces in place for winning career

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=514902

Quote:
It's been a great growing year for me. Hopefully it will end in a callup before the year ends. I'm doing everything I can on the ice, putting the ball in (Carolina's) court, making my performance speak for itself. That's all I can do. It is (tough), when you watch the games and you know you have the skill set to play there. But that's the way it is.
Interesting article about how McBain has improved on poor conditioning and dietary habits, and really seems driven to make it to the Canes as soon as possible.

4 goals and 15 assists in 44 games this season for Albany. Just 4 penalty minutes! Can't wait to see him get a shot in the coming months as he has always been one of my favorite prospects.

01-26-2010, 06:10 AM
Denzil
NOLU

He's by far the most frustrating player on the team - you can see he has the ability, but he makes at least one boneheaded play (usually more) per game that makes you want to scream... maybe getting lit up in the NHL for a few games is what he needs, so he can learn some more.

Denzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:08 AM
CarolinaHurricanes85

Send a message via AIM to CarolinaHurricanes85
Quote:
He's by far the most frustrating player on the team - you can see he has the ability, but he makes at least one boneheaded play (usually more) per game that makes you want to scream... maybe getting lit up in the NHL for a few games is what he needs, so he can learn some more.
We already have someone this year who has mastered that skill.

CarolinaHurricanes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaHurricanes85 View Post
We already have someone this year who has mastered that skill.
We have a lot of "somones" who have mastered that skill this year

Seriously though, sounds like it will be a longer learning curve for him.

Once a forward, then converted to D, excellent offensive ability and able to be very successful in college because of his raw ability. I really have only seen him play 2 (1 college, 1 AHL) times so I can't comment too much on him.

But these comments about excellent college player, very good offensive skill, flashes of ability, followed by one or more boneheaded plays sounds a lot like Jack Johnson. I have no idea if that is a valid comparison since I've only seen him twice, but sure sounds similar.

Rather than have him stink it up in the NHL..sounds like he'll be learning to be more sound in his decisions in the AHL.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Denzil
NOLU

Eh not quite, Johnson has more of an aggressive edge to his game than Jamie does, but the rest sounds accurate.

Denzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 09:28 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
Johnson has more of an aggressive edge to his game than Jamie does, but the rest sounds accurate.
Like a lot of young D's making the transition, McBain seems to play to timidly at times, afraid to make a mistake. I see his 4 PIM's as a more a bad thing than a good thing as a developing player. He isn't a physical D and you don't want to see him headhunting but to me you can live with penalties that come out of trying to be aggressive. It's better than than being overly cautious.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
Eh not quite, Johnson has more of an aggressive edge to his game than Jamie does, but the rest sounds accurate.
thanks for the clarification. You make a good point. I wasn't trying to compare the aggressiveness..but the other aspects.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote