HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Demise of Gagne

Old
01-25-2010, 12:44 PM
TheKingPin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
We're fighting for a spot in the playoffs, though. I don't think there's any harm in trying him for a few games to see how he responds.
I agree but we have been playing very well during Gagne's struggle and we are on target to make the playoffs. I dont know, seeing what teams like DET have done in letting their players develop really makes you want to be patient with the young guys. If its the differnece of a potential 5-8 more goals for our team and a difference of a 70 to a 100 pt player that JVR could be its a pretty easy choice. When he is on the third line and getting low pressure PP time he is making plays and having fun.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Well, turning around after the hit from Malkin and grabbing him was pretty stupid on Gagne's part. Never retaliate when you have puck possession in the offensive zone.
Haha thats a great point, but I'm looking at it more from a positional and knowledge of the game sense, not really how quick he can get into kissing position with a Russian.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Haha thats a great point, but I'm looking at it more from a positional and knowledge of the game sense, not really how quick he can get into kissing position with a Russian.
Understood. I just wish his shot yesterday that hit iron was about a half-inch to the right

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:55 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
You have to leave JVR on the third line. He needs to be in a low pressure role. Next year is different, but we really need to bring this guy along nice and easy.
True, but at some point you have to get Richards going. Giroux and JVR show great chemistry, and playing with Richards instead of Asham should only make things better. Richards can still stand up for them if they are getting run at. Gagne with Powe and Asham should be able to generate some offense while being dependable in their own end as well.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
True, but at some point you have to get Richards going. Giroux and JVR show great chemistry, and playing with Richards instead of Asham should only make things better. Richards can still stand up for them if they are getting run at. Gagne with Powe and Asham should be able to generate some offense while being dependable in their own end as well.
JVR will likely be racking up 17 or 18 minutes of ice time on the first line, and I doubt hes ready for that. Especially with the schedule before and after the Olympic break.

1. Hartnell-Richie-Powe
2. Gagne-Carter-Briere
3. JVR-Giroux-Asham

Those are combos I'd like to see. The first line is a bit weak because theres no stand out goal scorer, but they could generate some ugly goals since the forecheck would be nothing short of unrelenting. The second line combo would probably be a good fit for Gagne because he wouldn't be relied on to put the puck in the net with Carter and Briere carrying some of the work load, and we've all seen how talented the third line combo can be.

Last edited by Mgkibbles: 01-25-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:24 PM
mypunkrock

With all due respect fellas, Gagne is still coming back from surgery, and probably is not at 100%, with respect to being in game shape/conditioning/etc.

That comes with time. For Simon, I'm banking on him being much improved following the rest granted by the Olympic break. He'll be more vital then, considering the amount of players we're sending this year (as always, of course).

Regards,
Rick

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellas64 View Post
Yeah that was kind of weird...I don't know if anyone else saw that, but wasn't that kind of gay? I was at the game and most of the fans there thought they were going to kiss on the ice...

I think it was intense. I thought he was gonna fight him. And though it nullified the goal, I'm glad to see him with that kind of passion against stupidity.

That said, this "Demise of Gagne" is really blown out of proportion. We could've made an equally "warranted" thread with Carter a few weeks ago. Gagne had his 2nd highest point total ever last season, which was his first season back from a 3 concussion year. Just because he isn't scoring doesn't mean he is washed up. He has hit a slump. Even the best do it.

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Gagne always returns from injury poorly. He'll more than likely be fine next year.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 04:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

The scoring touch just isn't there right now. Keep in mind his hat trick came against a goalie who is better known as "Not that" Chad Johnson.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 04:49 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
With all due respect fellas, Gagne is still coming back from surgery, and probably is not at 100%, with respect to being in game shape/conditioning/etc.

That comes with time. For Simon, I'm banking on him being much improved following the rest granted by the Olympic break. He'll be more vital then, considering the amount of players we're sending this year (as always, of course).

Regards,
Rick
Agreed. Gagne's demise is greatly exaggerated. Most players have a fast sart when returning from injuriy then hit a bit of a wall. His surgery was to his groin/abdomen and it's not like he isn't getting scoring chances or that he can't get shots off because of his speed. He is just a little snake bitten right now like everyone else was a little while ago.

Most players lose their wheels and keep their scoring touch (Recchi, Shanny, Yzerman) so I think he will work his way out of it because he keeps getting quality chances.

The only player that kept his wheels but lost his scoring touch was sami.

Splitting up Gagne and Richards for JVR means you can't match up our top line against other teams top line to shut them down.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:02 PM
fire bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Agreed. Gagne's demise is greatly exaggerated. Most players have a fast sart when returning from injuriy then hit a bit of a wall. His surgery was to his groin/abdomen and it's not like he isn't getting scoring chances or that he can't get shots off because of his speed. He is just a little snake bitten right now like everyone else was a little while ago.

Most players lose their wheels and keep their scoring touch (Recchi, Shanny, Yzerman) so I think he will work his way out of it because he keeps getting quality chances.

The only player that kept his wheels but lost his scoring touch was sami.

Splitting up Gagne and Richards for JVR means you can't match up our top line against other teams top line to shut them down.
Exactly... what demise???? It's not like he's playing like an AHLer out there.... he is keeping up with the play, winning battles along the boards and getting in good offensive position. He's playing well, he is just off with his shots. I have a lot of faith in Simon. Maybe I'd be worried if he looked out of place out there against the other teams top lines, but he's not.. the goals will come back. Everyone needs to stop panicking.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:06 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Hes streuggling offensively, but its not like hes floating and doing nothing

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:43 PM
MCAKES

I think he thought Malkin was Shrek and was simply asking for an autograph for his kid

MCAKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Since the 1999-2000 season Gagne has been a top line staple for the Flyers with 20+ goals in 7 of his 9 seasons in orange and black. One of those 20+ goals seasons came last year when he seemed to have rebounded from a concussion plagued 2007-2008 season by netting 34 goals, however during this past off-season Gagne's injury bug appeared once again causing a slow start, a surgery, and most recently a disappearance.

Since returning on December 19th Gagne has registered 14 points (5 goals 9 assists) in 19 games which doesn't seem to outlandish considering Simon is coming off an injury that required surgery, however when taking into account 3 of those goals and one of those assists came in a blow out win over the Rangers on December 30th the numbers begin to look a bit mediocre (10 points in 18 games). Also since the hat trick against the Rangers Gagne has only scored once in the past 12 games (2 if you count the Pens goal ). Gagne's recent below standards play became even more evident yesterday during the 2-1 loss to the Pens. Gagne had numerous opportunities to create potent scoring chances on a replacement goalie only to squander them by missing the net, hitting the post, or fanning on shots. Additionally Simon literally cost the team a goal when he lost his cool immediately following a weak hit from Malkin.

In my opinion Laviolette should look to move Gagne down in the line combos. I believe injuries have finally caught up to Gagne and at this point he resembles a 3rd line player more than a 1st line player.
While I agree that he has taken a step backwards I disagree with a lot of the points you made. He may not be a top notch first liner like he once was but to say hes a 3rd liner is incorrect.

1. During that same 19 game span the oh so invincible Richards has one more point than Gagne.

2. You cant say Gagne's hat trick game doesnt count just because it was a blowout. If Gags didnt play that game they would have only scored 2 goals.

3. That replacement goalie Gagne couldnt score on, the rest of the team couldnt score on either. 1 goal on a backup and its not scored by Gags so he sucks?

4. Malkins hit was a hit to the head on a guy known to have concussion problems. Hartnell does the same stupid crap if not worse once every other game which turns into a PP goal against but thats ok? By the way, the call on Gagne was a high stick...youtube the video and tell me where his stick touched Malkin.

5. Gagne has a higher PPG average than JVR who you want to move into his spot. He also has a higher PPG average than Giroux and Hartnell who are in the top 8. Only Carter, Richards and Briere rack up points at a higher rate than Gags.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:55 PM
flyerfan1248

Quote:
I worry about Gagne. I'd have no issue putting him in a lesser role. He's probably a guy that is on the list to be shopped in the off-season to make the cap work next season.
Not if Gags wants to waive his NTC. Maybe if he doesn't produce next season, he will realize that he does not deserve a big contract, but will do Homer or whoever the G.M is at that time and sign for cheap. Everyone in Philly knows he wants to stay in Philly.

flyerfan1248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 08:01 PM
flyerfan1248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwood View Post
I think it was intense. I thought he was gonna fight him. And though it nullified the goal, I'm glad to see him with that kind of passion against stupidity.

That said, this "Demise of Gagne" is really blown out of proportion. We could've made an equally "warranted" thread with Carter a few weeks ago. Gagne had his 2nd highest point total ever last season, which was his first season back from a 3 concussion year. Just because he isn't scoring doesn't mean he is washed up. He has hit a slump. Even the best do it.
100% agreed. Didn't Malkin, probably the 3rd best player in the NHL next to Crosby and Ovi, hit a huge goal scoring slump not that long ago,even with the second best player in the NHL on his line? (Yes, I'll give Ovie #1, though I don't really like him)

flyerfan1248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:15 PM
McNasty

Quote:
JVR will likely be racking up 17 or 18 minutes of ice time on the first line, and I doubt hes ready for that. Especially with the schedule before and after the Olympic break.

1. Hartnell-Richie-Powe
2. Gagne-Carter-Briere
3. JVR-Giroux-Asham

Those are combos I'd like to see. The first line is a bit weak because theres no stand out goal scorer, but they could generate some ugly goals since the forecheck would be nothing short of unrelenting. The second line combo would probably be a good fit for Gagne because he wouldn't be relied on to put the puck in the net with Carter and Briere carrying some of the work load, and we've all seen how talented the third line combo can be.
Richards is not the first line, Carter is.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

He really just has to shoot more and pass less. He looks tentative when it comes time to pull the trigger. Other than that I really don't have a problem with his game. He's going to start producing eventually, hopefully it coincides with a late push and playoff run. The penalties aren't something to worry about with him,They happen and you move on.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:33 PM
thevoice

Quote:
I worry about Gagne. I'd have no issue putting him in a lesser role. He's probably a guy that is on the list to be shopped in the off-season to make the cap work next season.
I can see this happening. Afterall, this is Philly. Then he can light it up for a few years someplace else, possibly win a cup, then in about 4 or 5 years we can have a thread about the possibility of bringing him back. PERFECT! You boys fit right in here!

thevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:39 AM
buff

Hartnell play worst than Gagné since de Begining of the season...

We need to be patient with Gagné and wait until next year to talk about "Demise ".

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Richards is not the first line, Carter is.
Correct, and it's what began last year when Carter began to find his groove. The two lines are basically 1a/b depending on who is hot at a given moment.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Lab Monkey

I love Gags, and I believe he is still hurting. We will see how he does after the break. I have complete faith in him returning to where he was, not the 50 goal mark but maintaining 20-30 goals a season and playing some sound and intelligent hockey.

Gagne IS a lifer to me. I hope to God they don't shop him, he is one of if not my favorite player. Its between him, Giroux and Carcillo's stache.

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
While I agree that he has taken a step backwards I disagree with a lot of the points you made. He may not be a top notch first liner like he once was but to say hes a 3rd liner is incorrect.

1. During that same 19 game span the oh so invincible Richards has one more point than Gagne.

2. You cant say Gagne's hat trick game doesnt count just because it was a blowout. If Gags didnt play that game they would have only scored 2 goals.

3. That replacement goalie Gagne couldnt score on, the rest of the team couldnt score on either. 1 goal on a backup and its not scored by Gags so he sucks?

4. Malkins hit was a hit to the head on a guy known to have concussion problems. Hartnell does the same stupid crap if not worse once every other game which turns into a PP goal against but thats ok? By the way, the call on Gagne was a high stick...youtube the video and tell me where his stick touched Malkin.

5. Gagne has a higher PPG average than JVR who you want to move into his spot. He also has a higher PPG average than Giroux and Hartnell who are in the top 8. Only Carter, Richards and Briere rack up points at a higher rate than Gags.
Why do you even bother to bring the facts into it?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:32 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I think it also doesn't help when Richards can't even make simple passes to him.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I think it also doesn't help when Richards can't even make simple passes to him.
Eh, Richards has been forcing him pucks...but Gagne hasn't cashed in on some glorious chances of late. However, I'm not sure how anyone expects Gagne's hands to be up to his usual level given how disjointed this season has been. Hopefully he gets his game back for the stretch run.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote