HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Laraque to AIK Stockholm? Will play for his worth.

Old
01-26-2010, 12:05 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I don't get why he doesn't want to play in the AHL. He's not NHL good anymore, but he'd surely do decent in the AHL.
He has all the money in the world, Mind as well play and live in a nice foreign country.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:06 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
This thread is so telling about posters...anyone who hits on George Laraque is actually lowering himself. The guy was humiliated by the team, he was doing a tough job that is slowly disappearing. Why he "deserves" so much hate is beyond me.
Fans of the Canadiens have the right to be critical of Laraque's on ice contributions to this team. As a heavyweight, he's been ineffective this season. He has rarely fought, and doesn't provide much else as far as physical play goes (hitting, blocking shots, etc.). His statistic production has been embarrassing since he's been here. BGL hasn't been effective in his role and certainly wasn't contributing enough in other ways to merit a spot in the line-up on a team that is in dire need of toughness.

I say this as someone who liked his signing when it happened. However, his play changed my mind. My buddy said it best when he said that the idea of having Laraque (and what he could potentially offer) is much better than the reality of having Laraque on the team. That perfectly sums up how I feel about his time in Montreal.

As for the team humiliating him, I think that's a little melodramatic. Gainey said that he released Laraque because he didn't want him to be a distraction for the team. That seems to imply that this season, Laraque was a detriment to the team even when he was playing. In other words, he wasn't helping the team when he was on the ice and was potentially hurting the team when he wasn't on the ice. The situation BGL finds himself in right now seems to be one of his own making as far as I'm concerned.

Laraque seems like a nice guy and I hope he lands on his feet somewhere else in the NHL this year. However, in order to do so he's going to have to accept the blame for his current situation and make changes in the areas that put him there in order to hope for any kind of success in the NHL in the future.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:07 PM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I think your definition of 'humiliation' is a bit off. He was paid millions for a job he no longer did often. He is getting paid even after termination, paid millions of dollars. His team raised money to support his cause, and has taken care of him the last two years and stood by him when he made some poor decisions of his own.

How was he humiliated? Because, to be honest, you can look around the world on a daily basis and find a reason to be depressed. Heck, Laraque just has to look down the road, to the childrens hospital, if he needed inspiration to score a goal.

Life is about perspective, I don't see how Montreal humiliated BGL in any way at all.
great post.

You are right on a philosophical level. BUT to have your boss come out and say publicly that :
1- You are a distraction to the team
2- The Team is better without you, even by having a reduced roster

It gotta hurt. I mean the guy was useless, I agree, but a nuisance? That's pushing it. Maybe it was Gainey's way of getting back at Laraque's "Classless" accusation...I don't know. But no one likes to be told that "we are better without you". No money in the world can make that feeling right...

So in this sense, yes, I feel he was humiliated. Bob is the one who conceded the NMC, he has to live with it. It is not BGL's fault. As for people who are angry at him for cashing his check, I invite you to read the definition of the word "Contract"

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:08 PM
kent_carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
yes Brashear with le Radio x de Quebec
There was also some of our ex-players: Sylvain Blouin, Francis Bélanger and one of the Delisle. It was not a beer league but there was too much fighting for my taste.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:09 PM
shutehinside

Ahhh that's it! Thanks guys, it was starting to eat away at me!

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_carlson View Post
There was also some of our ex-players: Sylvain Blouin, Francis Bélanger and one of the Delisle. It was not a beer league but there was too much fighting for my taste.
That's all it was cause the hockey was terrible.I once went to watch Laval against Sherbrooke and left after 5 minutes,it was horrible hockey

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:13 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
great post.

You are right on a philosophical level. BUT to have your boss come out and say publicly that :
If there is any truth to what Gainey is saying (which I think there is), Laraque should feel humiliated as a professional hockey player. I don't see how Gainey is to blame for BGL's individual failures though.

We can blame Gainey for the signing from a management standpoint, but the blame for Laraque's failures in Montreal falls solely on his own shoulders.

Old
01-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommallionta View Post
That is not a fair thing to say.

And secondly, he did say that he'd really want to but admitted the fact that it would very dangerous and he's unsure about risking his life or something to that effect.
fair enough,

but i have friends who have no connection whatsoever or family from Haiti,who will be leaving Canada in 3 days to go down and help .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

It's too bad it didn't work out, because I still remember how excited I was the day we signed him. Best of luck BGL!

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:21 PM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges of the Jungle View Post
If there is any truth to what Gainey is saying (which I think there is), Laraque should feel humiliated as a professional hockey player. I don't see how Gainey is to blame for BGL's individual failures though.

We can blame Gainey for the signing from a management standpoint, but the blame for Laraque's failures in Montreal falls solely on his own shoulders.
I don't disagree...And you won't see me critisizing Bob Gainey for the way he treats players. He is a known gentleman and a proven class act. I am criticizing habs fans who take the liberty to hit on a man on the ground. Not by criticizing his play, but by calling him trash, saying he can't even make the team in a swedish 2nd league. How can someone go from hero to enemy is beyond me in this city. People actually wish him ill...

Your post, by the way, is an example of well placed criticism. I think we both know this is not the case of most posts on these boards.

Old
01-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
It's too bad it didn't work out, because I still remember how excited I was the day we signed him. Best of luck BGL!
yeah it was good ,we thought finally! the tough guy,but we got reputation only.

like getting to date a swimsuit model or moviestar(when shes 65 yrs old)

she aint what she used to be,got the name only and pictures of back in the day.

i liked the BGL back in his hayday.....im afraid now "its name only"

maybe no fault of his own, as father time dictates to us all.

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 01-26-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:27 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
I don't disagree...And you won't see me critisizing Bob Gainey for the way he treats players. He is a known gentleman and a proven class act. I am criticizing habs fans who take the liberty to hit on a man on the ground. Not by criticizing his play, but by calling him trash, saying he can't even make the team in a swedish 2nd league. How can someone go from hero to enemy is beyond me in this city. People actually wish him ill...

Your post, by the way, is an example of well placed criticism. I think we both know this is not the case of most posts on these boards.
Fair enough. I wouldn't worry too much about the manic posters that love a guy one day and hate him the next. It's all part of the colourful mosaic that makes up the legion of Habs fans. If they provide nothing else, at least they provide entertainment.

Old
01-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:

I totally get what you're doing but come on, find me one post that "wishes him ill". It's more like c-ya, loser. And the part where he says that he will play for housing, food and travel is funny in a pathetic kind of way, you gotta admit.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:34 PM
habsrock76

Quote:
This thread is so telling about posters...anyone who hits on George Laraque is actually lowering himself. The guy was humiliated by the team, he was doing a tough job that is slowly disappearing. Why he "deserves" so much hate is beyond me.

Good Luck George. I'm looking forward for your next fight IN the NHL and I'm sure than even after that, you'll do much more with your free time than 99% of people who criticize you.
Fans have a right to be angry and say what they please.

All he had to do is his job and thats fight to stand up for teamates! Regardless of the instigator rule,(which i recall Josh Gorges as saying is one of those penalties you dont mind killing when its for standing up for the team) he never stood up for his team.

Whenever some idiot took liberties on our players it was his job/duty to go out and set him straight, in other words go out and pound the guy regardless if he wants too or not (I still miss Souray for that). Laraque never did it once, it was always a meaningless staged fight after a faceoff. Thats not fighting for your team its fighting for yourself. Im sorry thats not what Bob gave you 1.5 million for.

He let down the fans, his team, and ultimately himself.

People have a right to be pissed.

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:35 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyukhin View Post
yeah it was good ,we though finally! the tough guy,but we got reputation only.

like getting to date a swimsuit model or moviestar(when shes 65 yrs old)

she aint what she used to be,got the name only.
This might not be a total loss:

- She could still have a lot of money.
- Some people like Silverbacks.

Otherwise... Ewwwww!

Old
01-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges of the Jungle View Post
This might not be a total loss:

- She could still have a lot of money.
- Some people like Silverbacks.

Otherwise... Ewwwww!
WTF gross, wish you would of never written that...

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:37 PM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
Fans have a right to be angry and say what they please.

All he had to do is his job and thats fight to stand up for teamates! Regardless of the instigator rule,(which i recall Josh Gorges as saying is one of those penalties you dont mind killing when its for standing up for the team) he never stood up for his team.

Whenever some idiot took liberties on our players it was his job/duty to go out and set him straight, in other words go out and pound the guy regardless if he wants too or not (I still miss Souray for that). Laraque never did it once, it was always a meaningless staged fight after a faceoff. Thats not fighting for your team its fighting for yourself. Im sorry thats not what Bob gave you 1.5 million for.

He let down the fans, his team, and ultimately himself.

People have a right to be pissed.
I think that applies to me too

Old
01-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Plekanetzz

He will still continue to receive his NHL salary no?

Plekanetzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:09 PM
googlymoogly

This is for Laraque to know how to fax Swedish players.

"Do you want to fight" Translates to>>>>>>>>du vill kämpa

Laraque needs to bring an electrical adapter so he can run his fax machine but I did the translation to save him some time.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanetzz View Post
He will still continue to receive his NHL salary no?
I'm 90% sure he would continue to be paid by the Habs, but he would cease to count against the cap. He would also stop counting against the 23 man limit... although, there is some debate as to whether guys in Europe who have NHL contracts count against the 50 man limit.

Basically, it's the equivalent to sending him to the AHL.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:38 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Georges Laraque + European sized ice = Plenty of time to get popcorn.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Good to see all those super great classy Habs fans acting proud and tough behind their computer. ******** on Laraque's head is all he deserved because he accomplished absolutely nothing in his worthless life.
he made millions being worthless and accomplishing nothing in his life, what does that say for you

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:43 PM
David

Quote:
great post.

It gotta hurt. I mean the guy was useless, I agree, but a nuisance? That's pushing it. Maybe it was Gainey's way of getting back at Laraque's "Classless" accusation...I don't know. But no one likes to be told that "we are better without you". No money in the world can make that feeling right...

So in this sense, yes, I feel he was humiliated. Bob is the one who conceded the NMC, he has to live with it. It is not BGL's fault. As for people who are angry at him for cashing his check, I invite you to read the definition of the word "Contract"
WOW! Someone who actually sounds rational on these boards Now I've seen everything...

edit:...except that contract is usually for service rendered.

Last edited by David: 01-26-2010 at 01:53 PM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
he made millions being worthless and accomplishing nothing in his life, what does that say for you
He donated money to charities. He fought for a very noble cause, the PETA. Like it or not, he have been the most feared hockey player in this decade. He spoke his mind about the importance of fight in hockey to Bettman. He was a player representative for the NHLPA. He made his way to the NHL.

I'm glad the dude is gone, because frankly he sucks, but it doesnt give anybody the right to spit on the man. I still very well respect him and I find it disgraceful that some called Habs fan take pleasure bashing a nice man like Big George.

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
I'm 90% sure he would continue to be paid by the Habs, but he would cease to count against the cap. He would also stop counting against the 23 man limit... although, there is some debate as to whether guys in Europe who have NHL contracts count against the 50 man limit.

Basically, it's the equivalent to sending him to the AHL.
Yea i think you're right. Since we are assigning him to another team, he would have to go through waivers and then get assigned. I'm 80% sure that's what happens.
His salary will no longer count against our cap. And since he is 1 way, he still gets his millions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
He donated money to charities. He fought for a very noble cause, the PETA. Like it or not, he have been the most feared hockey player in this decade. He spoke his mind about the importance of fight in hockey to Bettman. He was a player representative for the NHLPA. He made his way to the NHL.

I'm glad the dude is gone, because frankly he sucks, but it doesnt give anybody the right to spit on the man. I still very well respect him and I find it disgraceful that some called Habs fan take pleasure bashing a nice man like Big George.
Exactly, his on ice performance does not affect the fact that he is a great person off the ice. You can hate the player, but don't hate the person.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote