HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#51: Penguins @ Flyers - January 24, 2010 - 12:30 PM (ET)

Old
01-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoice View Post
OH YEAH! Time is all I have. Especially the 15 minutes it took to gather those numbers. Wow, what intense research. I can't tell you the score sheets and game logs I had to go through to compile those numbers. It was excruciating. Please, don't anybody out there let on that with this "fancy new internet thingy" it's not all that time consuming to pull up such basic information.

But, since you're so hung up on averages, maybe we should notify the NHL that we want to forfeit 5 of our wins because we didn't cover our GA average. I don't think those 10 points are that important any way. Just like that ONE goal, in a ONE GOAL GAME wasn't that important!
We've also lost 4 games when we scored 3 or more goals. **** evens out. However, don't confuse results with expected results when you're doing statistical analysis...they are two different things. If you score 2 goals, you shouldn't expect to win, and you shouldn't be a brat about it when you do lose.

Simple fact? We needed 2 goals to get that game to OT, and 3 goals to win in regulation and we didn't get 'em. That isn't on the refs...they officiated a horrible game both ways.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
I agree that Timonen at that point had no intent of doing what he did, he wouldnt have a reason to in a tie game.
That said, I stand by my stance if they are going to have the rule they need to leave it as is. We have referees out of position on goals for God sakes, you think they would be in good position to see if a puck has been on edge and accidently flipped into the stands?
I also think the players(some anyway) are good enough where they could make it look like an accident.
The Flyers had plenty of chances before that and even after that on the weak PP the Flyers got in the closing minute and change and then had Emery pulled and couldnt get the job done.
Look, I would have no problem with them erring on the side of calling it if you want to look at it that way...but similar to the slashing call, there has to be some discretion. The penalty for that play happening far outstrips "the crime." When teams are losing games in the standings because a player flicked the puck 5 inches too high on a 60 ft pass attempt...there's a problem.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 02:15 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
You shouldn't. But the play is most analogous to icing, and the current method of dissuading constant icing works. I don't see why application the icing rule wouldn't have a similar effect in preventing teams from throwing it out of the rink on a whim, without over punishing, as the current rule clearly does.
Exactly. I don't know why this solution isn't smacking everyone in the face because it seems so obvious to me. Players ice the puck for the same reason as they would intentionally flip the puck over the glass, so why not the same punishment>

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:09 PM
thevoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Exactly. I don't know why this solution isn't smacking everyone in the face because it seems so obvious to me. Players ice the puck for the same reason as they would intentionally flip the puck over the glass, so why not the same punishment>
The ONLY possible answer that would make ANY sense to me is safety. They went through the trouble and expense of putting that awfully annoying netting around 50% of the rink and they don't want to have it's effect negated by laziness or carelessness. Even though it doesn't carry the same velocity of a deflected slapshot, an undeflected 60 foot pass has to pack some punch if it catches somebody not paying attention. It has to be a safety thing.

I don't like the netting, but, I won't argue against the safety of it.

I HATE advertising on the ice and on the boards, but, I can't argue against the financial benefit of it.

I would love to know how much a team would lose in a season if they chose to do away with the advertising on the ice and boards. They can keep the ugly electric signs between levels, but, I don't like them either.

thevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:12 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoice View Post
I would love to know how much a team would lose in a season if they chose to do away with the advertising on the ice and boards. They can keep the ugly electric signs between levels, but, I don't like them either.
Considering the "Swedish Fish" ad I saw earlier this season: I don't think they'd lose much, but are clearly desperate for whatever they can get.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote