HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Umberger sends regards

Old
01-26-2010, 02:38 PM
DickTony

vCash: 500
must see this tattoo.

is it a little tiny ass logo on the left side of his right calf? or is it a huge badass back piece complete with portraits of bob clarke and bernie parent surrounding it?

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 02:57 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Nice. Didn't know he had a Flyers tattoo. I bet he gets **** for it all the time from his teammates.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 02:57 PM
mm6492

I remember eh got the tattoo right before he left

I think it was on his arm, but I am not sure.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:11 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Nice. Didn't know he had a Flyers tattoo. I bet he gets **** for it all the time from his teammates.
I don't see why he would. If the Flyers didn't pick him up who knows where he would be right now. I love that he shows dedication to the team who may have literally made him a successful player.

RJ

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Players do it all the time, for a variety of reasons. Believe it or not, money is not the only incentive when players determine where to sign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post
Players take discounts all the time.

Just this past offseason Neil apparently turned down a 4 year 9.2 million dollar deal with Toronto to stay in Ottawa, where he signed a 4 year 8 million dollar deal.

So yeah, I could see a guy turning down a million dollars to play for the team and fans he obviously loves (as evidenced by the tattoo).
I realize that some players are willing to take less to play in a situation where they are happy, but I don't think it's realistic to expect him to think "I am only willing to play for the Flyers and will leave money on the table" come July 1, 2012.

Is it possible he will take less money to play here? Sure, if the Flyers and some bottom feeding team are bidding for his services then I could see him turning down more money from the bottom feeder to play here, but it's a bit naive to expect the Flyers to be his #1 destination and he'll do whatever it takes to make it work.

A lot can happen between now and then. He'll be 4 years removed from his time in Philly and this is a business. There could be other appealing destinations that are willing to offer him more.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:32 PM
IrishSniper87

From the comments section of the article:
Quote:
Chris Shafer
Actually, since his salary cap hit would be pro-rated, you'd be very surprised by what we can afford.

There are 193 days in a regular NHL season. Each player gets a specific daily cap hit, which is there overall cap hit divided by 193.

So if you want to find out how much of a cap hit Ray Whitney would have now, you take the base cap hit per day ($18,394.00) and multiply that by the amount of days left in the season (80 right now). Whitney's salary cap with us right now if we traded for him would be roughly $1.47m.
Not really. The Flyers will spend up to the cap with bonuses and LTIR. The cap is calculated daily, therefore on any given day of a year, our salaries can not exceed $56.8 million. Ray Whitney would cost us $1.6 in terms of how much our club would actually pay him, but his cap hit is to large for our club to remain under the daily limit.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:34 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post
Players take discounts all the time.

Just this past offseason Neil apparently turned down a 4 year 9.2 million dollar deal with Toronto to stay in Ottawa, where he signed a 4 year 8 million dollar deal.

So yeah, I could see a guy turning down a million dollars to play for the team and fans he obviously loves (as evidenced by the tattoo).
If I had to go to work with two miserable people like Wilson and Burke, I'd take a cut too. Add in the constant years of failure and it's a no brainer.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:38 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I realize that some players are willing to take less to play in a situation where they are happy, but I don't think it's realistic to expect him to think "I am only willing to play for the Flyers and will leave money on the table" come July 1, 2012.

Is it possible he will take less money to play here? Sure, if the Flyers and some bottom feeding team are bidding for his services then I could see him turning down more money from the bottom feeder to play here, but it's a bit naive to expect the Flyers to be his #1 destination and he'll do whatever it takes to make it work.
I never thought it would be like that but, I don't think it's unfair to assume that he might come here somewhat below market. And, if he would the Flyers would be foolish not to pursue that and make a reasonable offer.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:04 PM
LarryNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
We need Umberger back, he's a true Pens killer.
Yes he always played well against the Pens.

I sat right next to his parents in the playoffs 2 years ago. We talked quite a bit because they lived about 4 miles from where I did in Pittsburgh. They said that RJ loved it in Philly.

The cool thing about the NHL is there are more RJ type guys than all the other pro leagues combined.

LarryNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Joey Mac

this is my first time hearing/reading about this... hopefully, umberger will be a flyer again, if not he'll always be a fan favorite even on the opposite team

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 10:47 PM
captainpaxil

im totally in favor of bringing back rj. hes one of those guys to me thats still a flyer even in another jersey. unless wed be willing to part with timonen i dont think colombus lets him go. though at that point having re-signed carter giroux and carter i dont know that well have the space.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:49 PM
BlueCollarCaptain

Cool story. He and Upshall were my favourite Flyers before they got traded. Any pictures of RJ's tattoo floating around the internet?

BlueCollarCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:48 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Can you blame him. I'd take Ottawa too. I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of the epic fail that Toronto is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
If I had to go to work with two miserable people like Wilson and Burke, I'd take a cut too. Add in the constant years of failure and it's a no brainer.
Can't argue with any of that.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:27 PM
chaosof99*

If I had one wish for the trade deadline, it would be Umbergers return to Philadelphia. He is relatively cheap, would give us more scoring depth, has high potential in the playoffs and he would probably quickly reintegrate into the team and the situation.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
If I had one wish for the trade deadline, it would be Umbergers return to Philadelphia. He is relatively cheap, would give us more scoring depth, has high potential in the playoffs and he would probably quickly reintegrate into the team and the situation.
I wouldn't really call $3.5 relatively cheap....

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 05:01 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach J View Post
I wouldn't really call $3.5 relatively cheap....
Cheaper and with more upside than Hartnell or Gagne atm. I also think that Umberger shows his real talent only in the playoffs and I do think he has the potential to a prime playoff scorer. He scored 10 goals in 17 games two years ago and three goals in four games last season with Columbus and he was the only Jacket to score on Osgood in the first three of that series.

To me, committing to Lupul ahead of Umberger was one of the bigger mistakes Homer has made, and if I could trade Hartnell for Umberger, I'd do it any day of the week right now. Gagne would be a tougher decision but he really hasn't been pulling his weight right now. I'd hate to see Gagne go, but I couldn't say that he's an asset I'd never give up any longer. Of course Hartnell would need to be axed sooner.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote