HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laraque to AIK Stockholm? Will play for his worth.

Old
01-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Kjell Dahlin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
I'm 90% sure he would continue to be paid by the Habs, but he would cease to count against the cap. He would also stop counting against the 23 man limit... although, there is some debate as to whether guys in Europe who have NHL contracts count against the 50 man limit.

Basically, it's the equivalent to sending him to the AHL.

"... he would continue to be paid by the Habs, but he would cease to count against the cap. He would also stop counting against the 23 man limit..."

That would be a great outcome for the team; anyone can confirm/deny it?

Edit:

According to… Georges Laraque:

2004-05 AIK Swe3 16GP, 11G(!), 5A, 16PTS, 24PM

http://www.georgeslaraque.com/defaul...=26&mn=1.39.34

Edit #2:

HIO Dave Stubbs' take:

"... For Laraque to play in Sweden, he would need the permission of the Canadiens. To get that, he would have to waive his no-movement clause (which surely he would agree to do if he wants to play in Sweden) and the club would put him on waivers. If no other NHL club claims him, he would be free to play outside the NHL, say, in Europe.

The Canadiens would continue to pay Laraque, but his salary would not count against the cap. His roster spot on the Habs would be freed up – the team currently has 22, plus Laraque. The Canadiens would still be responsible for Laraque's salary next season, the final of his three-year contract, though there has been an indication the team would buy him out at this season's end
..."

http://www.habsinsideout.com/main/28201

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 01-26-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Classified

He's on Prime Time Sports right now... saying he can do the job better than other tough guys around the league right now.. yeaaaaah.

Anyway he said he was contacted by teams in Europe and is considering it.

Classified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 04:36 PM
coolasprICE

BGL = Narcissistic

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Booba
Bouger les pieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
"... he would continue to be paid by the Habs, but he would cease to count against the cap. He would also stop counting against the 23 man limit..."

That would be a great outcome for the team; anyone can confirm/deny it?

Edit:

According to… Georges Laraque:

2004-05 AIK Swe3 16GP, 11G(!), 5A, 16PTS, 24PM

http://www.georgeslaraque.com/defaul...=26&mn=1.39.34

Edit #2:

HIO Dave Stubbs' take:

"... For Laraque to play in Sweden, he would need the permission of the Canadiens. To get that, he would have to waive his no-movement clause (which surely he would agree to do if he wants to play in Sweden) and the club would put him on waivers. If no other NHL club claims him, he would be free to play outside the NHL, say, in Europe.

The Canadiens would continue to pay Laraque, but his salary would not count against the cap. His roster spot on the Habs would be freed up – the team currently has 22, plus Laraque. The Canadiens would still be responsible for Laraque's salary next season, the final of his three-year contract, though there has been an indication the team would buy him out at this season's end
..."

Cool! Exactly what the Caps did with Nylander

According to eliteprospects.com, Laraque registered 4 goals in 3 games during the regular season and added 12 points (7+5) in 10 games during the playoffs. He helped AIK to get promote from Division 1 to Allsvenkan League. Also, during the 4@7 at RIS they said the he was named the most useful player of the playoffs.

By the way, the SEL is the highest level in Sweden. Then there is the Allsvenkan, Division 1, 2, 3 etc.

AIK is still playing in the Allvenskan and they might move to the KHL next season. Right now, Dick Tarnstrom and former habs prospect Christopher Heino-Lindberg (G) are playing with AIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommallionta View Post
That is not a fair thing to say.

And secondly, he did say that he'd really want to but admitted the fact that it would very dangerous and he's unsure about risking his life or something to that effect.
I think that you really need to be helpful if you go to Haiti right now (Like an engineer, doctor, nurse, humanitarian worker etc.) They obviously don't need any more mouths to feed.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified View Post
He's on Prime Time Sports right now... saying he can do the job better than other tough guys around the league right now.. yeaaaaah.

Anyway he said he was contacted by teams in Europe and is considering it.
I heard this too

Unfortunately, other teams might not think the same.

Does he not think that Gainey shopped him around the league before the buyout move?

Yes, I realize he has/had a NMC...but i'm sure Georges would at least think about it if asked to waive it so he could at least play.

Owen Wilson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Garry Valk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson View Post
I heard this too

Unfortunately, other teams might not think the same.

Does he not think that Gainey shopped him around the league before the buyout move?

Yes, I realize he has/had a NMC...but i'm sure Georges would at least think about it if asked to waive it so he could at least play.
Gainey confirmed during his PC that he did explore the trade route and there were no takers.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:23 PM
habfaninvictoria

If the only sticking point is insurance and travel I'm sure the Habs could find a way to make it happen, or failing that maybe we can start a trust account for him....

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:33 PM
JackZap

i cant wait for this guy to disappear.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:24 PM
CarrePrisme

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
i cant wait for this guy to disappear.
my sentiment exactly. i was not very pleased when they signed him (based on fan reactions from Pittsburg), watching him float out there was even more painful.

and now he's taking up a roster spot and gets paid for it.

please, make it end.

we should go on massive spending sprees at Ikea to show our support for Sweden to rid us of that "enforcer".

CarrePrisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:31 PM
yathehabsrule

A Farewell to BGL

A sendoff to BGL with musical inspiration from Sweden's biggest music export.

And did I just hear on CJAD that a KHL team is also interested in his services?

yathehabsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:24 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yathehabsrule View Post
A sendoff to BGL with musical inspiration from Sweden's biggest music export.

And did I just hear on CJAD that a KHL team is also interested in his services?
Siberia is the place where he belongs...

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Mue

http://www.habsinsideout.com/main/28313

Almost complete.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Crystal Met

so is salary won't count against the cap..?

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:44 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Met View Post
so is salary won't count against the cap..?
I certainly hope so. His 1.5m is badly needed elsewhere.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 10:33 AM
habsrock76

Wow, nice job BG!

Thats how you deal with NMC's, send them home and the players pride takes over.

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
Wow, nice job BG!

Thats how you deal with NMC's, send them home and the players pride takes over.
Exactly, gotta play hardball with them. It's how Tampa dealt with Boyle (altho that was a big mistake LOL, and a huge double cross).

Meanwhile Fletcher playing softball with the Muskoka 5 completely failed.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:42 PM
googlymoogly

BG is a genius, within weeks that Swedish team will probably pay Gainey a million just to take Laraque back

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
This is awesome news.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
This is awesome news.
there shoukd be a AIK Stockholm appreciation thread.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 08:43 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I certainly hope so. His 1.5m is badly needed elsewhere.
The only reason why he is willing to play there for free is because he will be paid the $1.5m by the Habs and he will continue to be a cap hit.

Why do you think there is insurance issues? Its because we are still paying his salary and we will be taking a cap hit. The other players to get loaned to europe, were sent to the AHL first (nylander and that russian kid from columbus).

The other GM's would be furious if this was a way to circumvent the cap and the league wouldn't allow it.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
The only reason why he is willing to play there for free is because he will be paid the $1.5m by the Habs and he will continue to be a cap hit.

Why do you think there is insurance issues? Its because we are still paying his salary and we will be taking a cap hit. The other players to get loaned to europe, were sent to the AHL first (nylander and that russian kid from columbus).

The other GM's would be furious if this was a way to circumvent the cap and the league wouldn't allow it.
No his cap hit will no longer count towards us. To send him to Europe, he has to clear waivers at which point his cap hit will not longer count. He won`t count towards the 23 man roster limit either. We will keep paying him 1.5m cuz he`s on a one way contract.

It`s like we sent him to Hamilton except in this case, Hamilton is Sweden, Stockholm

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:53 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
No his cap hit will no longer count towards us. To send him to Europe, he has to clear waivers at which point his cap hit will not longer count.m
He has a NMC, so he can't be put on waivers.

Old
01-27-2010, 10:52 PM
Nidema

Quote:
He has a NMC, so he can't be put on waivers.
He can as long as he consents. Which he would need to do if he wants to go to Sweden.

Old
01-27-2010, 10:55 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
He can as long as he consents. Which he would need to do if he wants to go to Sweden.
No, think about it, the original deal of him going to sweden is to play for free and the team pays for his meals / expenses.

The reason he is doing this is to stay in game shape so hopefully a team picks him up next year in the NHL (under some BS promise that he will fight anybody probably).

BGL is not giving up $1.5 million to go play in a swedish league for free. The habs are paying his salary and he will be on our books.

Honestly, think about it, tell me a scenario where he would give up his salary and go play for free? Not to mention, the other million dollars the habs would pay him in July to buy him out?

Do you honestly think the NHL and 29 teams would allow the Habs to circumvent the cap this way?

I guarantee I am right, or the salary cap just went out the window.

Old
01-27-2010, 11:06 PM
Nidema

Quote:
No, think about it, the original deal of him going to sweden is to play for free and the team pays for his meals / expenses.

The reason he is doing this is to stay in game shape so hopefully a team picks him up next year in the NHL (under some BS promise that he will fight anybody probably).

BGL is not giving up $1.5 million to go play in a swedish league for free. The habs are paying his salary and he will be on our books.

Honestly, think about it, tell me a scenario where he would give up his salary and go play for free? Not to mention, the other million dollars the habs would pay him in July to buy him out?

Do you honestly think the NHL and 29 teams would allow the Habs to circumvent the cap this way?

I guarantee I am right, or the salary cap just went out the window.
He won't be giving up his salary. He is on a one way contract. Regardless of where we assign him, he will be given a full 1.5m. Like I said, this is like laraque agreeing to go to Hamilton for 1.5m except Hamilton is Sweden.

Dave stubbs explained it better than me. Kjell Dahn posted it before me.

HIO Dave Stubbs' take:

The Canadiens would continue to pay Laraque, but his salary would not count against the cap. His roster spot on the Habs would be freed up – the team currently has 22, plus Laraque. The Canadiens would still be responsible for Laraque's salary next season, the final of his three-year contract, though there has been an indication the team would buy him out at this season's end..."

Last edited by Nidema: 01-27-2010 at 11:12 PM.