HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next Years Cap Problems

Old
01-26-2010, 04:41 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
What kind of money do you anticipate for Plekanec and Price?
Hopefully less then 7M combined. I figure Pleks somewhere around 4.75 to 5 give or take. Price it's harder to say, will they lock him up for a few years? I think a lot depends on what Gainey does with Halak. If you keep Halak as your starter and Price as the backup (not saying this will be the case) but at least then perhaps you can get Price on the cheap for say a two year deal. (not saying 500K of course, but less then the 2.2M he could make now)

Imo the hardest contracts to guage at going to be Price this summer and Markov next, as I could see him getting a huge payday, 8M a year perhaps, unless the Habs try and do something funny like other teams are doing like Hossa's contract.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 04:44 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Darche has nothing to do with Moen, also I wouldn't say he's made anyone expendable after just 3 games.

And if our bottom 6 contains D'Ago/Maxwell/Leblanc/Darche yikes.
Darche can handle a 4th line wing spot. Lapierre is a solid #3-#4 centerman. SK is capable as well, and I think Maxwell will have earned a spot by then.

My point is if it's a choice between trading Hamrlik or Spacek AND Moen, I'd rather keep hammer because Darche can do alot of what Moen does.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Darche has nothing to do with Moen, also I wouldn't say he's made anyone expendable after just 3 games.

And if our bottom 6 contains D'Ago/Maxwell/Leblanc/Darche yikes.
100% agreed. I was just going to reply the same thing.

If money has to be found, Hamrlik, Spacek, and Gill would be where I looked first (Mara seems like the more popular guy to move in these discussions, but he's younger, better, and probably resigned for less than Gill, so...). After that, there is little to be done unless we bring the albatross (Gomez) into the discussion. I also don't think MAB should be brought back. We got lucky with him (like we did Schneider), but ultimately he's a gimmick forward/PP point man and would likely cost no less than his current $0.750M. If dollars and cents start mattering that much, you let go of the gimmicks, and keep as much of what really matters as you can.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

The Pouliot situation is a bit interesting. We're at the stage where little bits add up, and if he's playing himself from a QO raise to something slightly better ($1.4M?), and Laraque is revealed as having his NMC still active, throwing away another $500k of our margin, it just makes things tighter.

I'm going to assume we can't move Spacek and can't afford to move Hamrlik.

At that point, Gill is the one I have to deal for a pick. It's kind of too bad, he has been all right for us, but with his Cup experience and more manageable contract, he's probably more marketable than Spacek. And perhaps we don't lose too much overall if Spacek then subsequently slides back to the left in his spot next year and improves. Totally different style, but the net contribution could be about the same.

This is the time for Pleks to step up with his hometown discount and give us all a much-needed break.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Agalloch

Scott Gomez — $7,357,142
Mike Cammalleri — $6,000,000
Brian Gionta — $5,000,000
* Tomas Plekanec — $4,750,000
Andrei Kostitsyn — $3,250,000
Travis Moen — $1,500,000
* Benoit Pouliot — $1,200,000
* Maxim Lapierre — $950,000
* Sergei Kostitsyn — $950,000
Max Pacioretty — $910,000
Ryan White ($215,000) $850,000
* Mathieu Darche — $600,000
* BUY-OUT GEORGES LARAQUE — $500,000

Andrei Markov — $5,750,000
Roman Hamrlik — $5,500,000
Jaroslav Spacek — $3,833,333
Hal Gill — $2,250,000
Josh Gorges — $1,100,000
Ryan O'Byrne — $941,666
* Mathieu Carle — $550,000

* Carey Price — $2,500,000
* Cedric Desjardins — $550,000

ROSTER SIZE 22
SALARY CAP $56,800,000
PAYROLL $56,792,141
BONUSES $215,000
CAP SPACE $222,859

I think we can keep everybody

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 04:54 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Darche can handle a 4th line wing spot. Lapierre is a solid #3-#4 centerman. SK is capable as well, and I think Maxwell will have earned a spot by then.

My point is if it's a choice between trading Hamrlik or Spacek AND Moen, I'd rather keep hammer because Darche can do alot of what Moen does.
It's too early to say what Darche can do yet. It's just 3 games. Perhaps he could be a good spare guy but at this point it's hard to say he can unseat a guy like Moen. I don't think Maxwell will be a regular next year, unless the team really needs cheap contracts, I do expect him to get more time though.

I don't agree though, I don't think Darche can do a lot of what Moen does, they don't play the same game and there's a reason why one has been mostly in the AHL and the other in the NHL.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Hamrlik is a solid top4 D with boatload of experience and, as mentioned above, a second pairing of Hamrlik – Subban would be great in 2010/11.

Gainey must find a way to unload Spacek, not Hamrlik.

I am almost convinced that Plekanec will test the market and, imo, the Habs can't afford to spend 11-12M$ per season (Gomez is a very good player but my GAWD what a horrible contract!) on two undersized (Plekanec + Gomez) centres. So, imo, Plekanec: out.

When Gainey shipped away Latendresse, it was for a potential C with size. He hinted at it when he mentioned to Marc de Foy from ruefrontenac.com:

"... C’est plus facile de commencer comme ailier..." – Gainey
"... it will be easier for Pouliot to start as a winger..." - Gainey

Source: (in French): http://ruefrontenac.com/sports/canad...illaume-gainey

Cammalleri (6) – Gomez (7,4) - Andrei Kostitsyn (3,3)
XYZ – Pouliot (2) – Gionta (5)
Moen (1,5) – Lapierre (1) – ABC
- Insert 3M$ on 4th –
- Insert 1M$ for a depth forward here -

Markov (5,8) – O'Byrne (0,9)
Hamrlik (5,5) – Subban (1)
Gill (2,3) – Gorges (1,1)
- insert 1M$ for a #7D here –

Price or Halak (3)
Backup (1,5)

=> 52,3M$ for 20 players

=> if the cap stays at 56,8 => 4,5M$ left under the upper limit. That would be enough for the missing "XYZ" and "ABC"… especially if you factor in guys like Pacioretty (10/11 cap hit: 0,9) and RFA Sergei Kostitsyn.

That's how I see it:

Unload Spacek
Move Pouliot at C (Plekanec: out)
Ship Halak or Price out
Keep Subban with the team

Btw... hail to "Salary Cap threads"!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:13 PM
NewHabsEra*

Spacek and Gill arent movable IMO.. Hamrlik should logically be traded this summer..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:22 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Spacek and Gill arent movable IMO.. Hamrlik should logically be traded this summer..
I'm pretty sure they are movable.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:26 PM
jean004

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
13 M for 9-10 players may not sound like much, but most of the upper part of the lineup, the high-paying slots are already set. The Habs need to re-sign Plekanec and Price (and Price will probably make less cap hit than he does now, even if his actual salary goes up, because bonuses) and you can fill the rest of the lineup with fillers. The Habs will have a top-6, top-4 D-men, and goaltending sewn up and even have a number of lower-pairing guys to work with. No doubt they hope some of the Hamilton kids will be better able to make the jump.
I couldn't agree more. To correct the earlier statement. The habs presently have 11 players tied up at 43$ million. See the attached spreadsheet.

I've put salaries for renewals of RFAs and our UFA in Pleckanek. So assuming that we have the same team as this year mostly.

I'm assuming Price will not get more than 3M$ - judging by his stats and accomplishment he will not get more than Ward who was making less than 3M this year. Halak if kep will get around 1.5M-2M (backup making less money). Otherwise Gainey will re-sign both for about the same amount of money (ie $2.5M-2.75M each) and discuss them splitting games.

We have 6 Ds, and 12 forwards when renewing our RFAs to small raises, which by a look at all their stats adn accomplishments so far, they will all only get small raises.

Gainey and his staff aren't stupid. They've been around for a while. All of this has been thought and sorted through way in advance. The players signed this summer would not have been signed had they known it would give them trouble in 1-2 years cap wise.

In 2011-12 big contracts come off the books, with relative raises to Kost etc. Role players will graduate from Hamilton over time giving us cheap contracts on D and on our 3rd and 4th lines. As posted above, our "big guns" are all signed long term.

We will be ok. Gainey may not be a genius, but he knows his things. All this was planned long before July 1st 2010. gone over time after time.

I would surely doubt that they went through FA July 1st without a plan or knowing what they were doing.

Relax, we will be ok. Enough of these talks. We have ample room to give the raises our players deserve.
Attached Files
File Type: xls habs forecasted cap.xls‎ (25.0 KB, 6 views)

jean004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:27 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'm pretty sure they are movable.
We have no reason to trade Gill, and how could Spacek be movable?

Hamrlik MIGHT be movable - even that is still not a fact.

In order, players that would seek the most interest: Gorges, Markov, O'byrne, Gill, Hamrlik, Mara, Spacek

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:27 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
If the Habs buyout Laraque, then as of now we are looking at having 43,832,141 tied up in just 12 players. So if the cap were to remain the same at 56.8, then Gainey is looking at having about 13M of cap space for 9 or 10 players. Yikes.

On top of that we have 4 big contracts to factor in, 2 this summer and 2 for the following season. Pleks and Price (assuming Halak gets traded at some point) are going to big concerns this summer, and then it's Markov and A.Kostitsyn next year (A.Kosty will be an RFA at least).

So it's becoming clear that if no roster moves are made between now and the summer, then Gainey will likely need to move one of the D and hope that one of Subban/Weber/Carle can jump up full time as we will need some cheap contracts, in addition, a couple out of Pacioretty/D'Agostini/White/Pyatt/Stewart/Maxwell etc... will need to step up into full time roles on the cheap.

Which leads me to think that one of Hammer/Spacek/Gill have to go by this summer. If you let Mara and MAB walk and go with a D core of Markov-Subban Hammer-O'B Spacek-Gorges with a spare of say Carle, your still looking at over 18M tied up on defense. So losing Gill doesn't really help, although he could be the easily to move since he would have only 1 year left on his 2.25 cap hit. If they aren't going to play Spacek on the left side then get rid of him, if possible. Dropping Hammer would make the most sense cap wise but I fear what his loss would mean to our defense.

One things for sure, we better hope the cap doesn't go down next year.

I'm not very worried.

I'm hoping Pleks can be had on a Savard-like contract for about $4.5M but Long-term. That's an increase of $1.75M. Price has not earned an increase of more than $1.35M which means he'll come with ZERO cap hit increase since his bonuses are now 1.35M (though he has hit very little of them).

Laraque saving will be either $1.0M if he plays elsewhere with permission from Habs or $0.5M if he is bought out, assuming in both cases a replacement making league minimum.

Mara replaced with Subban saves $0.825M.

Metropolit replaced with Pyatt or another minimum guy saves $0.500M.

Sergei has bonuses of $285k that will drop off or convert to a small increase for him and/or Lapierre.

Pouliot will probably get an increase of $350k but remember he is not arbitration-eligible. The number might go up if he hits 20 goals by year-end.

MAB should be willing to re-sign for similar money as this year, given it will be hard for him to find a perfect fit elsewhere.

Anyway, maybe within a few hundred thou, we can accomodate Pleks and Price and the other RFAs and re-sign MAB to a reasonable contract, all by dropping Mara, Laraque and Metro.

Keeping Halak will cost another $1.5M or so increase, and if we go this route then I think we need to trade Spacek and also get room for another $2.0M player, probably a strong 3rd liner, with ability to step up for a time if needed.

Plus I think the cap will go up by about $1M. But that's another matter.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:29 PM
BBrowser

I don't understand how we can expect to pay Plekanec less than Gionta or Cammalleri...

BBrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:30 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrowser View Post
I don't understand how we can expect to pay Plekanec less than Gionta or Cammalleri...
you won't be able to understand, it makes no sense

Old
01-26-2010, 05:37 PM
jean004

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
experience, and stats throughout young career. Would he have 3 consecutive seasons of 80+ points, his salary would be higher, but I would expect it to be in the $4M-$5M range perhaps growing over time if it is a long term deal.

jean004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Kafka

I wouldn't call Price contract "big" since the guy doesn't have numbers that can allow him to ask for more than 3M$. I expect Montreal to sign him for a contract that would end while he is still 25 years old (RFA) and then sign him long term... but only if he reaches expectations. Plekanec is an easy 4-4.5M$ contract, and has I said before, I wouldn't mind giving it to him.

That said, with Subban and Weber that should be ready to make the jump, i could see Gainey trading Hamrlik to leave the cap space required to sign Plekanec. Beside Plekanec and Price, Lapierre and SK also need to sign a contract. Both aren't having negociation strenght at this point. The only question left is Halak. Hopefully we'll find a way to keep him or get the right return for him in a trade.

Price needs to find his game back. Every young goaltender go through though times when they begin. I remember it happened for Roy after he won the Stanley Cup for instance. Brian Hayward split the net with him from '86 to '90 after the Stanley Cup. So if we are going to lose Halak, I hope we can get a solid veterant like Roloson to share the net. If not, well let's keep Halak, and trade him once Price shows we can't lose a game anymore.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:45 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrowser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
What about Cammalleri having two 80+ pts season before signing with us, and Gionta having a 48 goals season under his belt?

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:52 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Hamrlik is a solid top4 D with boatload of experience and, as mentioned above, a second pairing of Hamrlik – Subban would be great in 2010/11.

Gainey must find a way to unload Spacek, not Hamrlik.

I am almost convinced that Plekanec will test the market and, imo, the Habs can't afford to spend 11-12M$ per season (Gomez is a very good player but my GAWD what a horrible contract!) on two undersized (Plekanec + Gomez) centres. So, imo, Plekanec: out.

When Gainey shipped away Latendresse, it was for a potential C with size. He hinted at it when he mentioned to Marc de Foy from ruefrontenac.com:

"... C’est plus facile de commencer comme ailier..." – Gainey
"... it will be easier for Pouliot to start as a winger..." - Gainey

Source: (in French): http://ruefrontenac.com/sports/canad...illaume-gainey

Cammalleri (6) – Gomez (7,4) - Andrei Kostitsyn (3,3)
XYZ – Pouliot (2) – Gionta (5)
Moen (1,5) – Lapierre (1) – ABC
- Insert 3M$ on 4th –
- Insert 1M$ for a depth forward here -

Markov (5,8) – O'Byrne (0,9)
Hamrlik (5,5) – Subban (1)
Gill (2,3) – Gorges (1,1)
- insert 1M$ for a #7D here –

Price or Halak (3)
Backup (1,5)

=> 52,3M$ for 20 players

=> if the cap stays at 56,8 => 4,5M$ left under the upper limit. That would be enough for the missing "XYZ" and "ABC"… especially if you factor in guys like Pacioretty (10/11 cap hit: 0,9) and RFA Sergei Kostitsyn.

That's how I see it:

Unload Spacek
Move Pouliot at C (Plekanec: out)
Ship Halak or Price out
Keep Subban with the team

Btw... hail to "Salary Cap threads"!
This is an interesting post, noone has brought up the idea of Plekanec leaving and using Pouliot at center. Personally i think size at center is overated, and would love for us to keep the Plek/Gomez 1-2 punch.

However if Pleks wants 6 million, I think we might be best advised to look elsewhere. We could then roll the smurf line, and then have Pouliot centering the kosty bros. However we would certainly be a much weaker team, but we'd have money...

I'm hoping we can get Pleks to sign for Marc Savard money...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Kirk Muller

There is a lot of talk of how you get to or under the cap while i think the better question is how you are going to IMPROVE while trying to get to the cap or under the cap.

We aren't talking about an elite team either. This is a bubble playoff team that somehow has to improve with the situation they are in.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
There is a lot of talk of how you get to or under the cap while i think the better question is how you are going to IMPROVE while trying to get to the cap or under the cap.

We aren't talking about an elite team either. This is a bubble playoff team that somehow has to improve with the situation they are in.
that's right... but the unfortunate reality is that the more fitting question might actually be "how do we prevent from getting worse while staying under the cap".

If we can't/don't re-sign Plekanec, and the cap doesn't go up significantly, we'll be in a position of trying to find a capable top 6 centre at a discount price... given that we had to trade for Gomez to get one last summer, that tells you how difficult that task is, not too mention that there simply aren't many decent options available at Centre this coming offseason, Pleks is definitely one of the best (behind only Marleau i imagine).

Losing the top scoring forward from a team near the bottom of the league in Goals for is not exactly the path to improvement... we would need the young players to step up AND for the older players (especially on Def with hamrlik, spacek, gill, all well past their prime) not to regress to quickly, just to stay at the same ~500% level...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:25 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
What about Cammalleri having two 80+ pts season before signing with us, and Gionta having a 48 goals season under his belt?
Plek has progressed into a number 1 center since his first season - last year was an off year production wise for the entire team.

His production this year is really in line to his development...

And apparently many are forgetting the intrinsic value of being a center.

Sorry, but Gionta scored 48 in 05-06 and his production has been going down since that year.

It is no secret that Gionta is overpaid - even Brodeur said he'll have a hard time living up to his contract.

This is not to say I don't like Gionta, but realistically, if he's worth 5 Million than Plekanec is worth more.

Old
01-26-2010, 06:34 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Spacek (maybe + Carle or something) for Souray + (enforcer)?

Hamrlik + Fischer for Sidenberg + 2nd + 3rd at the deadline?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

We would have no cap problems if Bob gave Plek a long term deal 1 or 2 years ago.

He's been a hard worker from day 1, they can't say they didn't see this coming...

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:40 PM
McNuts

Some people seem to forget that players in the stands count on the cap. Your team isn't 12 forwards, 6 defensemen and 2 goalies, it's typically 14 forwards, 7 defensemen and 2 goalies (23 players).

This is what I got:

14 SIGNED PLAYERS + LARAQUE BUYOUT: 45,557 M$

Gomez
Cammalleri
Gionta
Kostitsyn
Moen
Pacioretty
Markov
Hamrlik
Spacek
Gill
Gorges
O'Byrne
Maxwell
White
Laraque Buyout

9 UNSIGNED PLAYERS: ESTIMATED 15,725 M$
(estimated cap hits)

Plekanec: 5 M$
Price: 3 M$
Pouliot: 1 M$
Sergei: 0,9 M$
Lapierre: 0,9 M$
Subban: 0,850 M$
#2 goalie: 0.8 M$
D'agostini : 0,7 M$
Darche: 0,6 M$

TOTAL FOR 23 PLAYERS + LARAQUE: 59,582 M$

What it means: if we somehow manage to trade Spacek for a draft pick, we clear 3,833 M$, bringing the team cap hit down to 55,749 M$. We then have to replace Spacek, with say Weber, Belle or a cheap FA. In the worst case, say we get a 1 M$ FA, the total cap is 56,749 M$, and if the cap goes up by 1,5 M$ like I read, we will have 1,5 M$ cap room.

As for Halak, we obviously can't keep him, which means that we must trade him before the trade deadline (or Price, but it won't happen) to avoid losing him for nothing. The problem, however, is that we can't trade him for a player making a high salary because it's going to be the same problem all over again. We have to trade him for picks or prospects.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Habsrichard

Moving Andrei K. may be a reasonable option. After next season, he'll be an UFA and may be looking for a raise which Montreal couldn't afford if they sign Plek. Of course, there really doesn't appear to be anyone to replace him, but there's also no one to replace Pleks at this point. Moving Andrei and signing Plek's gives you Gionta/Gomez/Poulit and Camm/Plek's/??? as your top 6. The return for Andrei could potentially help solve other problems but I really have no idea what his value is, so I won't even guess

Of course in this scenario, you are really counting on Pouliot playing up to his current level as well as a young player stepping up into a top 6 role.

Edit: And this would be assuming Andrei comes back and plays well.

Last edited by Habsrichard: 01-26-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Habsrichard is offline   Reply With Quote