HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The improvements since Laviolette took over

Old
01-26-2010, 05:25 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Has Mika played at all since Lavi took behind our bench?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:34 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I do not think so, but there has not really been a place for him.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Guffaw26

I'll give him a ton of credit for getting Carcillo to actually play hockey instead of just skating around looking for fights and taking stupid penalties.

He had been #2 in PIMs for ages and he's actually gone down to 4th or 5th in the league. Obviously he's been behaving himself quite a bit since PL's arrival.

Guffaw26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:44 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I do not think so, but there has not really been a place for him.
I thought he played a game our two.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:05 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
11 times.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/players/gamelog?playerId=5345

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:08 PM
fire bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Hard to say he doesn't play favorites considering the short time he's been here. Not saying it will be as bad as some say Stevens was, but all coaches play favorites.
True. But it seems like if Laviolette does play favorites or has anyone on his personal **** list, it will be for the right reasons. Stevens just seemed to not like certain players and never really gave them a chance.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:11 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire bettman View Post
True. But it seems like if Laviolette does play favorites or has anyone on his personal **** list, it will be for the right reasons. Stevens just seemed to not like certain players and never really gave them a chance.
Except for maybe Downie. Most of the guys who "never got a chance" under Stevens empirically sucked. Kukkonen, and Vaanaanen simply were not NHL players, and subsequent history seems to bear that out.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 07:39 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

The two most obvious (yet strangely not aforementioned):

a) they got some key players back from injury

b) the schedule has gotten easier

They've fared well against The Little Sisters of the Poor and The Not Exactly World Beaters, but that is what good teams do and it has been good to see the Flyers put 'em away.

They were particularly impressive against the drifting John Tortorella, who would be the coach here if half of the HFBoards Junior GM Wannabes had had their druthers.

Hopefully they can sustain this momentum on their trip out west, which includes a visit to play Brent Sutter (has lost nine of his last ten games), who would be the coach here if the other half of the HFBoards Junior GM Wannabes had had their druthers.

The Flyers do indeed look better, but we have seen this before (like in each of the last two years under Mister McCakemaker). They slump, they recover.

They do look good though. They are tending not to run around their own end. 13, 21, and 17 looked like they have benefitted well from the change. They do oftentimes look crisp on the breakout. Quite impressive and it may just be starting to come together.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 07:43 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Except for maybe Downie. Most of the guys who "never got a chance" under Stevens empirically sucked. Kukkonen, and Vaanaanen simply were not NHL players, and subsequent history seems to bear that out.
I would disagree. You conceded Downie, so we agree there. But Upshall was a healthy scratch for a period of time, despite being the same Upshall we always loved. His play didn't warrant it. You can say Kukkonen sucked, but he would dress for a few games play well and be scratched again. He had his moments.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 10:27 AM
BeCar9

forecheck. We actually have one now and it's spectacular. 3rd and 4th line benefit so much

BeCar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:18 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Timeouts are actually used when they need to be, not with 2 minutes left every game, regardless of the score.
exactly. Like the Ranger game, the Flyers lost. They were out there disinterested, playing like **** in the first period and what does Laviolette do? call a time out to yell at them to get their heads out of their ass. granted they still went on to lose, but that was only because Lundqvist stood on his head.
Not alot to add from the posts in this thread. Pretty much spot on.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:34 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Kukkonen was very servicable when he first came here. Same with Vaananen.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Hartnell's hair is growing back out, and the team's play is getting better.

Screw coaching, that must be it. Now lets hope Carcillo doesn't shave that stache.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Jester

Quote:
There's a difference between playing favorites and not having a chance. Stevens' treatment of Upshall at times was absurd. From dropping him down in the lineup, to singling him out for penalties while other guys did far worse (I'm looking at you Hartnell and Briere).

Kukkonen started out as a solid defender, that blocked a lot of shots...and proceeded to regress throughout his time with the Flyers.

Vaananen was solid for us, if unspectacular...and it remains bizarre that he went from being paired with Timonen playing 20 a night to the press box in about two weeks worth of games.

While both are in the KHL, I'm not sure that is indicative of them not being bottom pairing NHL talent...just going to be more money for those type of guys over there.

My biggest gripe with Stevens was his clear soft spot for Nitty. You can say what you want about Biron's play here, but it was largely solid and for whatever reason Stevens kept creating goaltending controversies without any real reason to.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

It's not John Stevens, most important one for me.

Those "deer in headlights" moments the defence used to experence regularly only show up every once in a while, and usually when they begin to slip back into their patterns from earlier in the year. Lavi seems to be able to break them out of it, in between periods, where as the game was over when Stevens was behind the bench.

Interesting what happens when you can get players on the same page and communicating with each other.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:24 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
a visit to play Brent Sutter (has lost nine of his last ten games)
I thought players lost games, not coaches. What does Brent Sutter have to do with anything going on on the ice?

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I thought players lost games, not coaches. What does Brent Sutter have to do with anything going on on the ice?
Now, now, you know JXC enjoys his stories to go both ways based on convenience.

Old
01-27-2010, 03:41 PM
jb**

Quote:
ben eager

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
ben eager
Ben Eager decided he wanted to be a MMA fighter here rather than a hockey player. Not sure that's entirely on Stevens.

Old
01-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Crossbar Ping

Id still like to see a little more desperation and clutchness by Richards and or Gagne.

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw26 View Post
I'll give him a ton of credit for getting Carcillo to actually play hockey instead of just skating around looking for fights and taking stupid penalties.

He had been #2 in PIMs for ages and he's actually gone down to 4th or 5th in the league. Obviously he's been behaving himself quite a bit since PL's arrival.
In all fairness, I've seen active improvement from Carcillo since he's come here, even under Stevens. The biggest difference between his time under Laviolette and Stevens is that during the latter's reign he would have moments where he would return to his old ways (read: Bradley incident) whereas I have rarely, if ever, seen Carcillo act like that under Laviolette.

A big reason why Carcillo was so high up in PIM standings was mostly due to the large amount of fights he partakes in and because of the Bradley incident (29 PIM, correct?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar Ping View Post
Id still like to see a little more desperation and clutchness by Richards and or Gagne.
It's a stretch to blame that on Laviolette (even though I don't think you are), but I do agree nonetheless.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 04:14 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Kukkonen was very servicable when he first came here. Same with Vaananen.
"Serviceable" is a great description, fine in spot service at the bottom of the depth chart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
There's a difference between playing favorites and not having a chance. Stevens' treatment of Upshall at times was absurd. From dropping him down in the lineup, to singling him out for penalties while other guys did far worse (I'm looking at you Hartnell and Briere).
Upshall is a stronger case but while definitely not a Stevens favorite I still think he was treated fairly, his status around here notwithstanding.

Quote:
Kukkonen started out as a solid defender, that blocked a lot of shots...and proceeded to regress throughout his time with the Flyers.

Vaananen was solid for us, if unspectacular...and it remains bizarre that he went from being paired with Timonen playing 20 a night to the press box in about two weeks worth of games.

While both are in the KHL, I'm not sure that is indicative of them not being bottom pairing NHL talent...just going to be more money for those type of guys over there.
What was bizzare to me was that Vaananen was getting 20 mins a game paired with Kimmo. Injuries played a huge part, and once things settled he was right back where he belonged: 6/7

Quote:
My biggest gripe with Stevens was his clear soft spot for Nitty. You can say what you want about Biron's play here, but it was largely solid and for whatever reason Stevens kept creating goaltending controversies without any real reason to.
I always had the same soft spot for Nitty. Blame the olympics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
ben eager
Wrong.

Quote:
Ben Eager decided he wanted to be a MMA fighter here rather than a hockey player. Not sure that's entirely on Stevens.
Word. Furthermore, Ben Eager has not done anything in Chicago to prove he's anything but a marginal depth player.

Old
01-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Jester

Ben Eager really annoys me, because I really think he could be a really, really solid NHL player. He has above average skating ability for a dude his size, his hands aren't the worst we've ever seen...

He just decided he was going to be a goon and because of that was never on the ice much.

Old
01-27-2010, 04:19 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Ben Eager really annoys me, because I really think he could be a really, really solid NHL player. He has above average skating ability for a dude his size, his hands aren't the worst we've ever seen...

He just decided he was going to be a goon and because of that was never on the ice much.
I always thought there was something there. But I see no reason to believe it will manifest at this point.

Old
01-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Jester

Quote:
I always thought there was something there. But I see no reason to believe it will manifest at this point.
If he committed himself to it, don't you think he could have become a just deadly front-of-the-net guy for a PP? The guy was built like a tank...he just needed to develop his hands a bit and I'm convinced he could have become a 15-20 goal guy on garbage goals and contribute to a line with his speed and hitting.

Oh well.