HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who would you keep?

Old
01-26-2010, 05:12 PM
BobMarleyNYR

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
We re-invented our roster two years in a row... we're not going to get so lucky (i.e. signing the twos big FAs, trading a no. 4 d-man for a top prospect, Naslund retiring, trading Gomez. Those are HUGE strokes of luck.

Interestingly enough, this UFA season could, in general, be a lot like '07, we have 2 or 3 struggling no. 4 d-men, Filatov in CLS, just like Zherev, Brashear is in a similar situation to Naslund's last year......

It'd be cool if Drury was bought out. But that would send a message to every UFA that we are just a revolving door of a team. Some things will have to remain. I think Redden will definitely be on the team next season.

Who I'd LIKE to keep: Gaborik, Lundqvist, Staal, Callahan, Dubinsky, Del Zotto, Gilroy, Avery, Staal.

My untouchables: Lundqvist and Staal. Dubinsky, Del Zotto and Grachev are almost there, but not quite.

Guys I wouldn't MIND keeping: Prospal, Voros and Lisin. All three are glue guys, good for team chemistry, which has been a problem for us. Prospal will resign for 1-2 years at about 2 per. Christensen 'cause I feel bad for him... pay him $7/hour to be waterboy.

Guys I'd like to see go because A. I don't like them, B. cap relief C. high-return/extraneous piece in the system: A. Girardi, somewhat Drury, Kotalik, Brashear, B. Rozsival, Drury, Kotalik, Redden, C. Higgins, Sanguinetti, Sauer, Byers.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:15 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
I'd rather free up that $7.5 million from Gaborik and to free up cap space and take the chance at landing Kovalchuk in the off season.

Kovalchuk > Gaborik.

Keep Dubinsky because it is just his third season. He will get better, and he is a good cap hit at $1.7 million. Worst comes to worst he develops into a quality second line center and with all of the money you have freed up you can sign a legitimate #1 center, right? If I kept three contracts I'd be looking at rebuilding this team and the three players I keep would be Lundqvist, Staal and Dubinsky. You can replace Gaborik with another super star forward and sign a legitimate #1 center with all of the money you are freeing up by dropping Gaborik, Redden, Rozsival, Drury, Kotalik, Higgins, Brashers, etc. That is over $32 million to play with.
So a chance to compete with 10+ other teams for Ilya Kovalchuk is more valuable to you than the guarantee of having Gaborik long term?

That's as logical as taking the 1st overall pick in hopes of drafting a Crosby over Crosby himself.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:17 PM
pwoz

I would never keep only three. All Slats does is replace 10 players every year, and where does it get us?

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:20 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Someone recently posted about team turnover. While I don't agree it's the main source of our problems, it's a big factor.

Old
01-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
So a chance to compete with 10+ other teams for Ilya Kovalchuk is more valuable to you than the guarantee of having Gaborik long term?

That's as logical as taking the 1st overall pick in hopes of drafting a Crosby over Crosby himself.
Not just Kovalchuk. He'd be the prime candidate though. Kovalchuk isn't going to be the only good UFA next season, nor the year after that. If you couldn't get Kovalchuk you can land someone else. But, he'd be the first guy I go to. Plus, playing in New York City has a lot of appeal for a lot of athletes. I'm not necessarily saying it could persuade Kovalchuk to come here but $9+ million to play in NYC, what is considered by millions the best city in the country, sounds like a good start. I wasn't thrilled about the Gaborik contract to begin with. I was happy, don't get me wrong, but $7.5 million for an injury prone player to be your centerpiece is a bit of a gamble (a gamble that has paid off thus far THIS SEASON, there are still four seasons left on his contract after this year, will he get through them with plenty of health? His career would say otherwise).

Sure, he has been healthy this year but look at his career with the Wild. The guy missed too many games for my liking. He has missed 121 games since 2005-2006. That's what you want all your money tied up in as your centerpiece forward? There are other players out there, who sure aren't quite as good as Gaborik, but play 75+ games on an annual basis and put up good numbers.

Last edited by Fataldogg: 01-26-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:28 PM
BobMarleyNYR

We can sign a guy, waive him, buy him out, demote him, fleece the frenchies and deal him for a good prospect... what does it say to outsiders? We overpay guys and treat them poorly when they don't reach erroneous expectations. And they all say it's "part of the business," but you know it affects people.

Then your 2nd line guys and energy players buckle under the pressure. "It happened to the top dog, it could happen to me too." And that's how you build a perennial bottom-feeder.

Old
01-26-2010, 05:29 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
I don't care if every single goal Lundqvist lets in for the rest of his career is glove side from center ice. As long as he puts up elite stats it doesn't make a difference how the few that go in do get by.

Any answer other than Lundqvist, Gaborik, and Staal is completely wrong.
i think with MDZ vision and potential you could make an argument for him over staal, but that is the only one i see

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:34 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Someone recently posted about team turnover. While I don't agree it's the main source of our problems, it's a big factor.
He constructs bad teams, blows some of it up, and then constructs another bad team. It's a vicious cycle.

And how much is the team going to improve as long as so much money is wrapped up in Redden, Rozy, and Drury? They are part of the core of this team, and building around them isn't going to accomplish much.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
i think with MDZ vision and potential you could make an argument for him over staal, but that is the only one i see
I can't understand this argument though. Marc Staal is 23 years old and has proven through several successful NHL seasons that he is a stand out defensive defense man in the Eastern Conference. At 23 years old he is far from at his best offensively, and is already improved this season offensively. He's been better than MDZ in my opinion offensively this season too because MDZ's points, the vast majority of them, came on the PP where as most of Staal's come even strength because he doesn't get much ice time. I'll take the shut down defense man at age 23 whom still has plenty of potential over the 19 year old who has a ton of potential but is also unproven and looks terrible defensively.

Old
01-26-2010, 05:48 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
It a symptom of the main factor — which is Sather's inability to look at the team beyond the upcoming season.

01-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Fletch

it'll be very difficult to put together a very competitive team in a salary cap environment with Rozy, Redden and Drury tied up for the amount of money the Rangers committed to them. To be successful they would need guys like Grachev and Anisimov to become solid producers, and Staal, DZ, Sauer and Girardi to develop into a #1 and #2 pairings next season, making Rozy and Redden less signficant and getting the production out of cheaper people. The model's flipped on its head and I don't think the Rangers have the horses to get through the next couple years, barring some kind of miracle. Does a buyout help? The math doesn't seem to suggest so because of the dead cap space, and the length of tie it's dead. It's going to be tough rebuilding this team, which is a shame because a guy like Lundqvist could be wasted. We'll see.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:52 PM
BobMarleyNYR

which is why i finally think it's time to bite the bullet... i was a hanger-on, i really liked the concept of staying competitive and keeping a balance between short term success and future prospects... sather really can't compromise...

but my point is, we can't somehow trade for, say, stastny and make him the new flavor of the week - one or both of redden and drury will be here next season. it won't help to blow up anything. we need to wait till the new CBA

Old
01-26-2010, 07:02 PM
czechmate25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift of Gaborik View Post
Yeah, that's really the only answer imo. Unless you're willing to substitute MDZ for Staal. I think a better question is who you would keep in order for the current roster down to who you would want to get rid of the most, contracts considered.

Gotta keep tier:

Lundy
Gaborik
Staal
MDZ
Dubi
Cally

Would prefer to have tier:

AA
Avery
Gilroy
Prospal
Ochocinco
Girardi

Meh tier:

Boyle
Christensen
Lisin
Voros

Honestly a 4th line where you pick three of these guys would be fine with me.

Prefer these guys off the team tier:

Kotalik
Higgins

GET THEM OUT OF HERE tier:

Brashear
Rozi
Drury
Redden

Hard to disagree with anything in this post.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It a symptom of the main factor which is Sather's inability to look at the team beyond the upcoming season.
Whether we're in the 6th spot, or the 13th spot, Sather can make a positive statement by ridding this team of as many non-core assets as possible in the coming weeks...realistically, Prospal, Higgins, and Girardi.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:33 PM
NewYorkStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
I'd rather free up that $7.5 million from Gaborik and to free up cap space and take the chance at landing Kovalchuk in the off season.

Kovalchuk > Gaborik.
I'd rather have Gaborik for 7.5 than Kovy at 11 per. Kovy is the better player, but not for that much extra coin.

NewYorkStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:48 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Why not have Gaborik and then look to add Kovy as well?
The is the only solution that makes sense. All the contenders have a 1-2 punch of elite talent.

build around

gabby, hank, staal, DZ, dubi, cally, avery, AA

Drury, Redden and Rosie are the disgraces that need to go instantly

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkStranger View Post
I'd rather have Gaborik for 7.5 than Kovy at 11 per. Kovy is the better player, but not for that much extra coin.
Definitely true.

I think the most an NHL team will offer him is $10 million (which is still an overpayment with guys like Ovechkin making $9.5 million and Crosby / Malkin making $8.7 million. Otherwise, its a detriment to the team. If he wants more than $10 million he'll have to go to the KHL.

The most I remember any player making in recent memory was Jagr at $11 million and Kovalchuk is a far cry away from Jagr in his prime.

Old
01-26-2010, 07:53 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Whether we're in the 6th spot, or the 13th spot, Sather can make a positive statement by ridding this team of as many non-core assets as possible in the coming weeks...realistically, Prospal, Higgins, and Girardi.
The problem is he would take that money and then overspend on someone else that's no sure thing. That's the pattern. We can call for capspace but he's the one using capspace.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:58 PM
In The Flesh

DZ
Henrik
Dubi
Cally

THATS IT!!!!

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
The is the only solution that makes sense. All the contenders have a 1-2 punch of elite talent.

build around

gabby, hank, staal, DZ, dubi, cally, avery, AA

Drury, Redden and Rosie are the disgraces that need to go instantly
Rozsival is the least of our problems. He's playing closer to his salary than both Drury, and Redden.

There won't be a rebuild either. That would require Sather to man-up and admit his mistakes, something I don't think anyone here expects from him.

We're ******, when you break things down. No matter how you try and spin it.

If there is a compliance buyout, that money we'll save from Reddens contract, will be re-invested towards a player nobody here probably wants. Like a Kotalik. Or a Higgins. Basically, a player with voids to his game.

What it ultimately boils down to, is Sathers decision making skills. You can give him an unlimited amount of cap space, and he'll still screw up.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
DZ
Henrik
Dubi
Cally

THATS IT!!!!
Why not Gaborik, Anisimov, and Staal?

Oh, right.. OP asked for 3 players, for some odd reason.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:15 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Why not Gaborik, Anisimov, and Staal?

Oh, right.. OP asked for 3 players, for some odd reason.
Staal is soft, for his size he should be a monster, but he's not. And his defensive game is overrated here.

Old
01-26-2010, 08:20 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post

Lundqvist, Staal, Gaborik

LMFAO at Avery and Dubinsky over Gaborik. Ive heard some good ones in my time but that takes the cake.
If we're purging the team how does keeping Gaborik help anything?, it's just a waste. It was a waste signing him in the summer imo, I'm still against the signing. We're nowhere close to being a cup contender, a situation where Gaborik is vastly ideal. Plus, we'd get a hefty return for him.

Old
01-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
If we're purging the team how does keeping Gaborik help anything?, it's just a waste. It was a waste signing him in the summer imo, I'm still against the signing. We're nowhere close to being a cup contender, a situation where Gaborik is vastly ideal. Plus, we'd get a hefty return for him.
Because any time you can get a top 10 player in the league for just cash is a win for a franchise. Do you think you'll see Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin hit unrestricted Free Agency at 27? Never.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:42 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Because any time you can get a top 10 player in the league for just cash is a win for a franchise. Do you think you'll see Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin hit unrestricted Free Agency at 27? Never.
Gaborik is not Sid or Ovy