HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Demise of Gagne

Old
01-26-2010, 01:39 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Eh, Richards has been forcing him pucks...but Gagne hasn't cashed in on some glorious chances of late. However, I'm not sure how anyone expects Gagne's hands to be up to his usual level given how disjointed this season has been. Hopefully he gets his game back for the stretch run.
Even if this year has been kind of an off year for him, I have a good feeling that with work over the summer he will be back in scoring form for next year. I'm sure he's still a bit iffy and stiff. But you have to admit, a lot of the great chances Gagne had, the goalie just robbed him. I think it's both bad luck and still hurting a bit.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Even if this year has been kind of an off year for him, I have a good feeling that with work over the summer he will be back in scoring form for next year. I'm sure he's still a bit iffy and stiff. But you have to admit, a lot of the great chances Gagne had, the goalie just robbed him. I think it's both bad luck and still hurting a bit.
Eh, his shot is a bit off and his hands are a bit slow. As said, I think he'll be fine. I'm just not sure what people expected...he had almost no training camp, and then was out for a long time, and now he's back midseason playing with a lot of guys in midseason form when he's in October form.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:18 PM
viventi

This is all a bit of an overreaction/over-analysis, no?

viventi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:26 PM
zarley zelepukin

Yeah, I think Gagne's "demise" is being overexaggerated. He just came off a season where he had 74 points in 79 games (remember the 'Gagne countdown to 40 goals' thread?) and has a not terrible 19 points in 27 games this year. Has no player ever hit a wall after coming back from a serious injury? We need to give him some time and his scoring touch should reappear eventually.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by viventi View Post
Yes and no. Gagne's play is a major concern, but he still has time to rebound and play a major role.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:29 PM
viventi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Yes and no. Gagne's play is a major concern, but he still has time to rebound and play a major role.
Oh I know it's a concern, but there's things this team has to worry about a little more than Gagne. He's not terrible, but he certainly hasnt been himself. I dont think it should be called "the demise of...".

Point wise, Gagne had one of his best seasons in his career last year. And he has 14 points in 16/17 games since he came back from the surgery. He's not doing THAT bad, at least in the points department.

Old
01-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Oh I know it's a concern, but there's things this team has to worry about a little more than Gagne. He's not terrible, but he certainly hasnt been himself. I dont think it should be called "the demise of...".
Gagne is a huge concern moving forward. It's not the lack of production alone, but it's the seeming lack of explosiveness and tentative way he's played.

Old
01-26-2010, 08:42 PM
viventi

Quote:
Gagne is a huge concern moving forward. It's not the lack of production alone, but it's the seeming lack of explosiveness and tentative way he's played.
Yeah I hear you. In all honestly I dont blame the guy, his body hasn't been kind to him for the past few years, whether it be his fault or not. Could just be nervous about taking a bad hit or tweaking something....but at the same time, there's no room in hockey to be worried all the time.

Old
01-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Yeah I hear you. In all honestly I dont blame the guy, his body hasn't been kind to him for the past few years, whether it be his fault or not. Could just be nervous about taking a bad hit or tweaking something....but at the same time, there's no room in hockey to be worried all the time.
I don't blame him either. but, there has to be a degree of concern that his days of being worth his cap hit are over

Old
01-26-2010, 09:03 PM
viventi

Quote:
I don't blame him either. but, there has to be a degree of concern that his days of being worth his cap hit are over
There's plenty of teams that would take his cap hit for a guy like him...take someone with relatively asinine contracts like the Rangers have with Drury and what they had with Gomez. But one would think that if he is traded or not, he wont be resigned for more than he makes now.

I do remember an interview with him a few years ago, in it he said he wanted to finish his career here in Philly. Thing is, Philly is going to need to move him, or someone with a similar cap hit, in order to resign others. Gags may be the odd man out in this one, unfortunately. With that being said, I really dont want him to leave, he's easily one of my favorite players in the league. First NHL player I ever met

Old
01-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
There's plenty of teams that would take his cap hit for a guy like him...take someone with relatively asinine contracts like the Rangers have with Drury and what they had with Gomez. But one would think that if he is traded or not, he wont be resigned for more than he makes now.

I do remember an interview with him a few years ago, in it he said he wanted to finish his career here in Philly. Thing is, Philly is going to need to move him, or someone with a similar cap hit, in order to resign others. Gags may be the odd man out in this one, unfortunately. With that being said, I really dont want him to leave, he's easily one of my favorite players in the league. First NHL player I ever met
The way he has played this season, with the injuries and such, he's not worth the cap hit. He could well be the odd man out to create room. It's a difficult situation all around.

Old
01-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Yes.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:16 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
The rumors of Gagne's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 08:07 AM
Mgkibbles

Another poor game last night from Gagne, and also Richards has been equally as dreadful for the better part of this season. Both are forcing plays, taking bad shots, and when they get good shots they find a way to not take advantage.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 10:10 AM
buff

I begin to have some bad feeling about Gagné now... He does'nt deleiver and he cost 5.250M on the cap!!! He does'nt work correclty, he don't take the time to make the good play or does'nt make de good decision at all... Where is the 40 goals scorer we need ?

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 10:26 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Gagne,Boosh for Halak, Draft pick.

Gives us a goalie, draft pick, and cap relief !

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 10:31 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post

Gagne, Boosh for Halak, Pacioretty, and a draft pick.

Otherwise, we could get much better.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by buff View Post
I begin to have some bad feeling about Gagné now... He does'nt deleiver and he cost 5.250M on the cap!!! He does'nt work correclty, he don't take the time to make the good play or does'nt make de good decision at all... Where is the 40 goals scorer we need ?
That's Jeff Carter.

30 year-olds that aren't HoFers (and, let's face it, Gags won't even be considered) don't do what they did in their mid-20s. Injuries racked up, he got older, it happens. Now, he may very well have a stunning return to form for a season or two with the right mix of linemates and some luck in terms of staying completely healthy but there is no mystery to what is happening to him. It's just turning 30 in the NHL. Which is exactly why you don't give Kovalchuk a 10 year deal.

But, that being said, some of his issues right now have to do with confidence and the mental side of the game. So, he is better than the way he is playing right now. Assuming a full season, he's a 30 goal guy and I'm not sure how many of them are around that can be had for much less than 5.25 million.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 11:35 AM
buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post

Trust me... Habs as no interest in Brian Boucher... And me... I don't want Halak...Halak is a puck boxer like goalie...

We need some goal scorer like Ray Withney or Simon Gagné Healty!!!

buff is offline   Reply With Quote