HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Red Bull Crashed Ice Qualifier in Edmonton

Old
01-26-2010, 10:26 PM
eberleclone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
If you need to practice for a skating drill you probably shouldn't go. Don't be the fat guy who can't get back up in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpBdhwSa0Ng
Ive been skating quite a bit playing higher level rec league, but i just havent really takken the time to do stops and starts or tight turns since i havent had a team that actually practices. I just figure It definitely wont hurt to take a few weeks to fine tune some of my skating, because who knows if it might make a difference or not

eberleclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanmoreMike View Post
I wonder how much of luck had to play in that. This definitely strikes me as an event you need to get your breaks as opposed to earn them.

By the way - what do you win?
I think luck had a LOT to do with his success. He finished really high one year...like...nearly the final heat...and the next year...even with the previous years experience he was way down the list.

BUt he did say that anyone who does do well in it...can skate. Its not like its a bunch of kamikazee fools just hurtling down the course. There are some like that...but there also a lot of guys (and gals?) who know what they are doing in when they lace up the skates.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:13 PM
bzur

I got an email today too... pretty excited. Haven't been on skates this year yet, but I'm going to get out as much as I can. If nothing else it'll be cool to try out, and if I can get back into it next year I'll know what to train for!
Good luck to the OP as well!

bzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:28 PM
TowMater14

I think that first prize is like ten grand and a chance to go to the compete internationally. As for luck, there is a guy in Europe who won almost every event until the first time they took it to Canada(yeah that's right baby!) The guy who won it the first year in Canada was from Saskatchewan!

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Not sure why anybody would do this.

Risk of significant injury vs earnings just isn't worth it.

Standard event disclaimers like these should be some cause for concern:

http://www.redbullcrashedice.cz/en/i...ns/declaration

http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/...=1242785030624

The event organizers have no liability whatsoever but participants are potentially liable for any 3rd party injury to other participants or spectators.
Not to mention participants waive the right to sue the organizer in the event of ANY serious injury.

Nice arrangement for the organizer of a high risk activity. Poor arrangement for the participant.

Basic public liability insurance is required for the participants but who knows if the coverage would be enough to cover potential damages.

A potential 10K payout just isn't worth all this risk imo.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:13 AM
eberleclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Not sure why anybody would do this.

Risk of significant injury vs earnings just isn't worth it.

Standard event disclaimers like these should be some cause for concern:

http://www.redbullcrashedice.cz/en/i...ns/declaration

http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/...=1242785030624

The event organizers have no liability whatsoever but participants are potentially liable for any 3rd party injury to other participants or spectators.
Not to mention participants waive the right to sue the organizer in the event of ANY serious injury.

Nice arrangement for the organizer of a high risk activity. Poor arrangement for the participant.

Basic public liability insurance is required for the participants but who knows if the coverage would be enough to cover potential damages.

A potential 10K payout just isn't worth all this risk imo.
Im going to try this because of the thrill. Ive done everything from caving to skydiving and free climbing on straight up rock faces. I really dont get to concerned about the risks involved, and as far as im concerned i could get hurt just as bad if not worse driving to work or just by playing beer league hockey. Even if i was to go far in this event the winnings are not what I would be going for.

eberleclone is offline   Reply With Quote