HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moving from Montreal to Edmonton

Old
01-24-2010, 11:03 PM
oilerfanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I really don't want to get into an Edmonton/Calgary debate. I have made my own personal decision but I am curious to know what it is that Edmonton has and Calgary doesn't.
i couldn't tell you that because i've been here a grand total of one week..it may grow on me or it may not..but all it seems to me right now is just another edmonton without the potholes..

and chinook mall blows.

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:38 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfanatic View Post
i couldn't tell you that because i've been here a grand total of one week..it may grow on me or it may not..but all it seems to me right now is just another edmonton without the potholes..

and chinook mall blows.
Good to know that 1 week is enough to start to form an opinion.

BTW...if Malls are really important to you then my guess is that you won't like it here very much.
But if you like outdoor activity then give it a little time and try to take advantage of the things that are much more difficult to do in Edmonton and unique to Calgary.

Things like day trips to Ski in the mountains...there are 6 ski resorts (including Panarama and Radium/Fairmont Hot Spings) all closer than Jasper is to Edmonton. Sailing/Ice boating on Ghost Lake (about 45 minutes from Calgary). Ghost lake is also a great place to go and ice skate in the Mountains.
World Class Cross Country skiing on the Olympic trails in the Kananaskis and in Canmore.

World class fly fishing on the clean Bow river in the summer. Floating down the Elbow river (or the Bow river) in a raft on a hot day in July...wind surfing/kayaking/sailing on the Glenmore Reservoir. Hiking/camping in the Rockies (Kananaskis Country is less than an hour away).

I like the outdoor stuff but it's not everyones cup of tea but I thought I would throw a few things at you.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Rugger14

So Edmonton is mostly Rural? Also I'd like to know about universities over there?
Here we have McGill which is ranked among the best and Concordia that is a great business school.

How are the Universities there? are they expensive to attend?
Also how do schools work in Alberta?

here we have High School then cegep (2-3 years) then University 3 years for a bac

Rugger14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehdi View Post
So Edmonton is mostly Rural? Also I'd like to know about universities over there?
Here we have McGill which is ranked among the best and Concordia that is a great business school.

here we have High School then cegep (2-3 years) then University 3 years for a bac
Edmonton is not rural. It's urban, but it's mostly low-density urban, so it has a very large footprint. If you don't have a car, your options are somewhat limited, but not impossible. Public transportation isn't stellar but it's getting better.

The U of A is one of the best research universities in the country, in several disciplines. I have two degrees from there and I enjoyed it (mostly). I don't know about cost, but it's probably middle of the road, but tuition has been going up steadily for several years now.

Alberta has elementary K-6, junior high 7-9, and high school 10-12. You go straight into college or university after grade 12. There is no CEGEP, so bachelor degrees are 4 years.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 06:27 PM
OntOilFan

Alberta remains the best place in Canada to do business. No sales tax, no payroll tax, and low corporate taxes. There is plenty of opportunity for success.

Just ask yourself if it's worth living in EDMONTON to do it.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 06:36 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Edmonton is not rural. It's urban, but it's mostly low-density urban, so it has a very large footprint. If you don't have a car, your options are somewhat limited, but not impossible. Public transportation isn't stellar but it's getting better.

The U of A is one of the best research universities in the country, in several disciplines. I have two degrees from there and I enjoyed it (mostly). I don't know about cost, but it's probably middle of the road, but tuition has been going up steadily for several years now.

Alberta has elementary K-6, junior high 7-9, and high school 10-12. You go straight into college or university after grade 12. There is no CEGEP, so bachelor degrees are 4 years.
Also and not to be forgotten, NAIT is a very reputable Technological Institution. Plus, Edmonton has the highly respected Grant McEwen Institution. If maintaining a Francophone heritage is important, Edmonton has a large community, which includes a fully Francophone section of University of Alberta: Faculte St. Jean. Which I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, is the largest French language Post-secondary institution west of Manitoba.

Arts wise - Edmonton has always had a fine reputation for live theatre, dance, live music - basically all of the fine arts.

Basically, a city is what you decide to make of it. Anywhere can be a real drag if you try hard enough to make it that. The opposite can be just as possible.

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Giant Moo

Good points, elpol.

The Faculte St-Jean also hosts a semi-annual floor hockey tourney for the U of A intramurals.

Old
01-25-2010, 07:21 PM
The Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpol View Post
Also and not to be forgotten, NAIT is a very reputable Technological Institution. Plus, Edmonton has the highly respected Grant McEwen Institution. If maintaining a Francophone heritage is important, Edmonton has a large community, which includes a fully Francophone section of University of Alberta: Faculte St. Jean. Which I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, is the largest French language Post-secondary institution west of Manitoba.
Macewan is a University now, with a focus on teaching but where there are increasing requirements and opportunities for research.

The Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:42 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
Macewan is a University now, with a focus on teaching but where there are increasing requirements and opportunities for research.
I suspected this and was just about to type it, didn't have time to double check, so I chose what I hoped to be a 'safe' word that wouldn't insult anyone...

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:56 PM
boopronger

Love the people saying that the real estate in edmonton is overpriced just like everywhere else. Must be renters....

Edmonton's average residential price is about 4-5 times average income. Vancouvers is about 8 times average income. I would argue Vancouver is a little more overpriced.

boopronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:47 AM
Spiff The Spaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopronger View Post
Love the people saying that the real estate in edmonton is overpriced just like everywhere else. Must be renters....

Edmonton's average residential price is about 4-5 times average income. Vancouvers is about 8 times average income. I would argue Vancouver is a little more overpriced.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/5657...using-price-be

http://steadfastfinances.com/blog/20...into-the-hype/

Spiff The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:55 AM
Giant Moo

Man, you love that shakehead smiley.

Old
01-26-2010, 02:53 AM
boopronger

http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djubl...rthsociety.htm

Must be true because its on the internet.

boopronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Hi guys,

I was wondering if you guys could tell me a bit about life in Edmonton.
I was thinking of moving there from Montreal to open a small business. I'm hoping I would have more success then I've had in Montreal.

How is life over there? Is it more expensive living in Edmonton?
What else could you tell me about Alberta and Edmonton.

Can I wear a Habs jersey on the streets? lol
Edmonton is a great place to live. The economy is the best in the country, traffic flow is good, streets are relatively safe, people are decent, schools are good...it is just a great place to live. You do have to put up with some cold in the winter but, we are in Canada, that is expected.

Houses are more expensive here than in Montreal, and we have no PST. Not sure about the other costs of living.

Those who bash the city have some sort of insecurity issues. Not sure what their deal is but a million people enjoy living here.

Last edited by Ogopogo*: 01-26-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 08:18 AM
Fourier

Quote:

McGill has a superb reputation, but I am personally not convinced that it is still deserved. (If you want to get into Harvard for grad school, going to McGill is not a bad choice). It is still a top Canadian school but depending on the discipline the U of A could well be better.

In Canada, the University of Toronto is the absolute top dog. After that the rankings vary substantially with the area. Though I would say that UBC has made great strides of late.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Spiff The Spaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopronger View Post

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/ctv-national-news/jan-26/

First story here notes that Vancouver has the most unaffordable real estate in the World...along with most canadian cities...

Spiff The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote