HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Position Help.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2010, 01:06 AM
  #26
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLidstromxX View Post
I'll keep them to the outside as much as possible... Then I turn my hips to make an attempt at poking the puck away and that's where I get dangled or he just boosts past me.
Thats where the "play the puck it looks like you suck" saying comes from I just posted on the previous page. Let HIM make the first move and if the puck is there to take then do so.

If you keep him on the outside it doesn't really matter how far down you go you have decreased his chances of scoring dramatically, there really isn't a need to try and poke the puck like that first.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:08 AM
  #27
Maupin Fan
Hot Air
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLidstromxX View Post
I'll keep them to the outside as much as possible... Then I turn my hips to make an attempt at poking the puck away and that's where I get dangled or he just boosts past me.
Watch this drill with PK Subban. Its a great exercise to improve backwards skating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKDbnm_IdYY

And, once you can get as sick as he is at the end of the video, no one will blow by you again.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:13 AM
  #28
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
Watch this drill with PK Subban. Its a great exercise to improve backwards skating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKDbnm_IdYY

And, once you can get as sick as he is at the end of the video, no one will blow by you again.
Hey I saved that to my youtube faves .... I think I can do this exercise actually. Not with his skill level but I can do that basic one. I'll work on that and see what happens.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:15 AM
  #29
XxLidstromxX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
hmmm I have some tactics in mind that I want to tryout tomorrow on defense and offense.

XxLidstromxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:18 AM
  #30
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons
 
NigelSPNKr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,797
vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
Watch this drill with PK Subban. Its a great exercise to improve backwards skating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKDbnm_IdYY

And, once you can get as sick as he is at the end of the video, no one will blow by you again.
That was/is (have not played bantam for a long time) one of the big drills in bantam

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:24 AM
  #31
XxLidstromxX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
That was/is (have not played bantam for a long time) one of the big drills in bantam
Holy guacamole, his feet move so fast I'm thinking to myself is that sped up? My backwards crossovers suck no doubt about it, I can't get the rhythm going I'll always trip and fall.

XxLidstromxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:29 AM
  #32
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons
 
NigelSPNKr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,797
vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLidstromxX View Post
Holy guacamole, his feet move so fast I'm thinking to myself is that sped up? My backwards crossovers suck no doubt about it, I can't get the rhythm going I'll always trip and fall.
2-3 years straight of doing them will have that result.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:17 AM
  #33
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 9,973
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLidstromxX View Post
Holy guacamole, his feet move so fast I'm thinking to myself is that sped up? My backwards crossovers suck no doubt about it, I can't get the rhythm going I'll always trip and fall.
No. See the how good are pros thread.

Guys who have been on skates their whole lives and are the best out of all those guys who have been on skates their whole lives are going to be much, much better then somebody still learning.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 10:38 AM
  #34
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,250
vCash: 500
I'm a decent defenseman but boy could I stand to work on that for a few years. My backwards skating is horrible, so I just build up as much speed as possible forwards, turn, and try and force him to the boards. It works on the slow guys but the quick ones just go around

Anyways, I wouldn't set my heart on making a high end competitive team, but if you can find a house league, go for the tryouts. You sound to me like a great winger with size, depending on your speed, but you could also be a great shutdown defenseman if you have the skating agility. Work on everything then let the coach figure it out!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:48 PM
  #35
XxLidstromxX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm a decent defenseman but boy could I stand to work on that for a few years. My backwards skating is horrible, so I just build up as much speed as possible forwards, turn, and try and force him to the boards. It works on the slow guys but the quick ones just go around

Anyways, I wouldn't set my heart on making a high end competitive team, but if you can find a house league, go for the tryouts. You sound to me like a great winger with size, depending on your speed, but you could also be a great shutdown defenseman if you have the skating agility. Work on everything then let the coach figure it out!
Dude that first thing you said about gathering speed skating forwards and the pivoting is exactly what I do. Sometimes I'll get them but if they are really fast they'll just go past me and since there's no hitting allowed I can't touch him...

I have really good speed, once I get going I'm gone, I prefer the playing style of a player mix of Darren Helm and Johan Franzen. I love to dump and chase, also screening the goalie is awesome. Only time will tell what I like and am good at. I'll just switch every day between forward and defense. I can ask the guys there to monitor me and see what I play better at and what I'm doing wrong because most of these guys have been playing for so long and they're amazing.

XxLidstromxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.