HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cullen to Vancouver

Old
01-23-2010, 03:12 AM
Ched Brosky

vCash: 500
Cullen to Vancouver

What would it take?

Something like this:

C Matt Cullen

C Ryan Johnson (small salary dump)
RW Jannik Hansen
3rd round pick in 2011

Is something like that fair?

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 06:43 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

If I'm the Hurricanes I probably hold out for a better offer. I don't see us being interested in Hansen and the 3rd because it's still 2 drafts away. I think Cullen can get at least a 2nd, or maybe a 3rd this year and a prospect better than Hansen.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Agreed. Historically teams overpay at the deadline, and Cullen is playing some of the best hockey of his career on our terrible team. I think he's gonna get a nice return.

01-23-2010, 10:53 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
I'll be the outlier and say I think this is a decent offer for Cullen and wouldn't mind that if that's the best we can get. I think we can probably say we can get better, but Hansen, a 3rd and an expiring contract is pretty decent return. Had it been a flat out salary dump with an extended contract I would have said no way.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:13 AM
Ched Brosky

so this is a decent offer I'm assuming

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:28 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
The Hurricanes are going to need less quantity back and more quality. If we're taking salary back, then a 3rd and a borderline NHL third line tweener isn't likely to get anybody excited.

We would have even less space for Hansen than most teams. We have an abundance of players of his ilk with Boychuk, Bowman, Samson, Terry, Dodge, and Tlusty that are right on the cusp of being too good for the AHL but not quite ready for that full time role. He would get lost in that depth with Dalpe joining in for a spot next year as well.

The problem is not a lack of players like Hansen in the system, but simply the fact that none of them that we have already are stepping up to claim that spot.

A 24 year old player that has yet to really bloom into the player his skill dictates he could be would simply clog up the works for Carolina. He's not a long term solution and would take ice away from other more projectable forwards.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:53 AM
semin4captain

Cullen+Cole for Bernier, Johnson (salary dump) and a 2nd.

Vancouver gets a Vastly Overpaid 3rd Liner Gritty Veteran Power Forward in Cole and a center in Cullen with Cup-winning experience who is extremely clutch when it comes to getting secondary assists on the powerplay.

Carolina gets a player with "potential" that may or may not reach it (probably not, but it really doesn't matter as long as we get rid of Cole) and a 2nd.

Last edited by semin4captain: 01-25-2010 at 03:01 AM.
semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 04:20 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Question for Canes fans:

I've been having a discussion with fellow Canuck fans about possible deadline additions... one of the debates that came up was with Cullen.

I read in other threads that another player that the Canes could be looking to move would be Corvo (also UFA after this year).

Would a deal around Bieksa work for these assets? Bieksa's got another year on his contract, so isn't a UFA, and going back to last season, it was clear that Rutherford had interest in him then, and Gillis confirmed he didn't want to move Bieksa at that point (for a deal around Cole, which then went to Edmonton).

staying with the theme of the original offer here, with Bieksa in mind - say Bieksa+Hansen for Cullen and Corvo?

or is that not something that the Canes would have any interest in?

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 04:29 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

unless Bieksa is resignable at around the 4 million mark then i could see it as an option though unlikely. We arent really making deals to make a run next season.....the season after is the target so if Bieksa walked after next season it really wouldnt help the Canes. Plus it would could Pitkanen and Bieksa in somewhat of a bidding war against each other and if they cant keep both then there is no point to acquiring Kevin now. I dont think hansen fits in the deal but a draft pick would.

my two cents

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 04:32 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Gleason- Bieksa = badass pairing.

btw. You can have it Cole for nothing.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:34 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
Question for Canes fans:

I've been having a discussion with fellow Canuck fans about possible deadline additions... one of the debates that came up was with Cullen.

I read in other threads that another player that the Canes could be looking to move would be Corvo (also UFA after this year).

Would a deal around Bieksa work for these assets? Bieksa's got another year on his contract, so isn't a UFA, and going back to last season, it was clear that Rutherford had interest in him then, and Gillis confirmed he didn't want to move Bieksa at that point (for a deal around Cole, which then went to Edmonton).

staying with the theme of the original offer here, with Bieksa in mind - say Bieksa+Hansen for Cullen and Corvo?

I would do it. IMO, Pitkanen shouldn't be our only puck-mover. Pitkanen seems to do much better when he's in that 18-20 minute range, not the 26-30 minute range that he's been logging since Corvo's been out. I think this team could stand to use two quality offensive-dmen in the top 4. Bieksa at a cap of $3.75 shouldn't be a bank breaker.

Gleason-Bieksa
Pitkanen-free agent
Carson-Alberts

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:37 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
I would do it. IMO, Pitkanen shouldn't be our only puck-mover. Pitkanen seems to do much better when he's in that 18-20 minute range, not the 26-30 minute range that he's been logging since Corvo's been out. I think this team could stand to use two quality offensive-dmen in the top 4. Bieksa at a cap of $3.75 shouldn't be a bank breaker.

Gleason-Bieksa
Pitkanen-free agent
Carson-Alberts
free agent = Fowler or McBain

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 4458
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post

Gleason-Bieksa
Pitkanen-AWardo
Carson-Alberts

Fixed.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 09:55 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
Question for Canes fans:

I'll answer your question with a question. Why's Bieksa tossed around so much by 'Nucks fans? I was ecstatic by the prospect of Cole for Bieksa pre-Pitkanen rumors. From what I've seen, he's nasty, has decent offensive upside (good shot), good defensively but appears to be a bit streaky. I watch a handful of Nucks games this season, and to be honest, Bieksa hasn't stood out, good or bad.

I was surprised to see Barker being thrown around for so little, but from what I've seen, he's a pylon this year. When he's not scoring, he's hardly a bottom pairing guy, let alone a top 4. Bad year, or his style of play not suiting your current direction? just curious to why he's become one of the Canucks most expendable players by some.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:41 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAShoesm View Post
I'll answer your question with a question. Why's Bieksa tossed around so much by 'Nucks fans? I was ecstatic by the prospect of Cole for Bieksa pre-Pitkanen rumors. From what I've seen, he's nasty, has decent offensive upside (good shot), good defensively but appears to be a bit streaky. I watch a handful of Nucks games this season, and to be honest, Bieksa hasn't stood out, good or bad.

I was surprised to see Barker being thrown around for so little, but from what I've seen, he's a pylon this year. When he's not scoring, he's hardly a bottom pairing guy, let alone a top 4. Bad year, or his style of play not suiting your current direction? just curious to why he's become one of the Canucks most expendable players by some.
Bieksa is being thrown around because he is the only big contract that the Canucks can move that has value. The only other big contract on the team is Demitra - and he's got no value. And they have to move a contract in order to add anything right now because they are right against the cap.

Every other contract on the team that is over $2.5mill, comes with a NTC or are key young players (Edler and Ehrhoff) on the team.

Bieksa's offense has been replaced by Ehrhoff, so his 40 pts from the blueline just isn't as crucial as it was a year ago, while his toughness is replaced by O'Brien who comes at less than half the price, and has been one of the most improved Canucks this year, taking on more minutes and looking very solid.

That's leaves Bieksa, and on a team that is already playing at the cap, you have to move salary somewhere to upgrade. And the only players without a NTC with big salaries are Bieksa, Edler, Ehrhoff, and Demitra. I'd much rather move Demitra if we could, but I doubt he returns anything at all.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote