HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick for a new player

Old
01-26-2010, 02:42 PM
mgd150

vCash: 500
Stick for a new player

Hi all,

Getting into my first ice hockey league soon, going to be taking some classes before that. I picked up a right handed shot Wood Bauer Supreme one25 87 flex with a P92 Naslund curve. Mostly cause it was one of the cheaper sticks on the shelf, and all I was doing so far was skating with it.

Since Im going to start attending a shooting/passing class, Im wondering if thats a good stick to be starting with, or if any of you would recommend something else. I'm 24, 5'8'' about 147lbs.

Thanks in advance.

mgd150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:35 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd150 View Post
Hi all,

Getting into my first ice hockey league soon, going to be taking some classes before that. I picked up a right handed shot Wood Bauer Supreme one25 87 flex with a P92 Naslund curve. Mostly cause it was one of the cheaper sticks on the shelf, and all I was doing so far was skating with it.

Since Im going to start attending a shooting/passing class, Im wondering if thats a good stick to be starting with, or if any of you would recommend something else. I'm 24, 5'8'' about 147lbs.

Thanks in advance.
Absolutely, cant go wrong with that You're just learning to pass/shoot and the P92 is good for getting early shots up higher. In a year or two, you might wanna try a higher edn woodie, or even a low/mid OPS

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Pog Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Absolutely, cant go wrong with that You're just learning to pass/shoot and the P92 is good for getting early shots up higher. In a year or two, you might wanna try a higher edn woodie, or even a low/mid OPS
Exactly. The P92 is a great all-around blade, really popular from what I hear. And like AIREAYE said, you'll be able to get the puck up with it, which will help with your confidence.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would say an intermediate sized Sherwood 5030. Look for one with a Crosby blade. It will be easier to flex than your current stick, which is essential for learning to shoot.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 04:02 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
I repectfully disagree, flex is worthless if you have poor shooting mechanics. Learn to shoot then worry about flex.

Any stick is fine to learn to play/shoot with, use it till you feel like it is time to upgrade. imo either upgrade (when you feel you are ready) to a top end woodie or a mid OPS, low end OPS's are useless, better off with a great woodie.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

But the OP said they were going to attend a shooting/passing class.

Old
01-26-2010, 04:08 PM
mgd150

Thanks for the input. I was actually looking at the Bauer vapor XXV intermediate 67 flex for when I get better at shooting. (Closeout prices on hockeygiant )

Do you think thats too soft for me?

Old
01-26-2010, 04:13 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I was actually looking at the Bauer vapor XXV intermediate 67 flex for when I get better at shooting. (Closeout prices on hockeygiant )

Depends how strong you are, you might like using a Sr whip or it might be to stiff.

Thats the problem when it comes to choosing a stick especially when when you are new to the sport. There is a lot of trial and error when it comes to finding what works for you. Between flex, blade pattern, length you will probably go through a few sticks finding the right combo. Some people get lucky others spend literally thousands finding that perfect stick (and then the stick is discontinued right after )

Old
01-26-2010, 04:18 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
But the OP said they were going to attend a shooting/passing class.

Im not saying you are wrong and i am right, its not really a cut and dry answer. imo there is a lot to learn about shooting before you throw loading into the mix.

Different strokes for different folks, it all really comes down to what works for the individual. He could just be naturally gifted at shooting and jump right into loading or he could be extremely bad and loading shouldnt even be on the "to do list" so to speak.

For the most part, shooting isnt natural for the majority of people and mechanics is far more important.

Old
01-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:

That's a great stick at a very good price, and at your size you might benefit from using an intermediate... but CanadaBacon is right in that when you first start you should experiment with a bunch of sticks to see what you like.

Try borrowing other people's sticks in practice or warmups to see what you like.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:46 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:

Wow, jumping form an 87-67 is pretty big...but it worked for me I jumped from a mid 90 (Cut SR stick) to 77 (uncut)

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:02 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
x2 on the Sherwood 5030. Can't go wrong with it. I recommend the Coffey curve to start with as the strong curve helps when learning to carry the puck. I switched over after trying to start with an Easton Forsberg and haven't gone back.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:14 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

I would think that lie is the most important to someone new to shooting and passing, more so that curve or even flex. Having an improper lie could really screw with shooting and stickhandling.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 10:02 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
I would think that lie is the most important to someone new to shooting and passing, more so that curve or even flex. Having an improper lie could really screw with shooting and stickhandling.
Good point, add that to the list of trial and error.

Old
01-26-2010, 10:03 PM
noobman

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
That stick will do...

...but if you're a new player, your primary focus should be on skating.

Most of your shooting power/accuracy will come from your technique, and you're never going to get the weight transfer bit down until you have good balance on your skates.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:20 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Canada, you're probably right that it's not going to matter. Most beginners are going to learn the wrist shot, slap shot, and back hand, most of which are perfectly fine with too stiff a stick. Using the whip of the stick is more of an intermediate to advanced part of shooting, which is less important than weight transfer, forearm and wrist snapping, opening/closing the blade, and putting spin on the puck.

Noob I agree too, weight transfer and balance are the biggest things you need to get down before you'll have a great shot.

On the other hand, a good stick that is the right flex and length with a neutral curve certainly won't hurt and would be a good investment, especially on closeout.

Anyways, I'm your height but a lot heavier at 5'8 175. I picked up two of the Vapor XXV's, one 67 flex and one 77 flex. The 67 flex is a bit soft for me but would likely be perfect for you while the 77 flex feels stiffer than rated, closer to 85, and would probably be too stiff for you (it's a bit stiff for me). Remember this is a $150 stick new, and at the web prices it's a steal.

I'd recommend if you do get one that you find either a P88 or PM9 curve, both are middle-of-the-road curves that aren't too open, which will help you develop your technique. I'd also avoid cutting it too short (below your nose in bare feet) before your shooting lesson as some teachers might have recommendations for stick length after they see you on the ice. It's easier to cut the stick down some more than to add length.

Old
01-27-2010, 09:57 AM
mgd150

Thanks for the replies. All very helpful. I've actually been taking skating classes for the last few months, I cant wait to get into shooting and playing.

Are the INT sticks long enough for someone thats 5'8'' without skates?

Old
01-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

They should be plenty long. I believe they are 57", but I'm 5'8 and cut them off at the nose, I still had to cut 2-3".

Old
01-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Anubis79

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. All very helpful. I've actually been taking skating classes for the last few months, I cant wait to get into shooting and playing.

Are the INT sticks long enough for someone thats 5'8'' without skates?
It depends on the brand, some are longer than others. Shafts also seem to be longer as well when paired with a blade. I'm between 5'6 and 5'7, and the RBK 5k Inter shaft I have is the perfect length. My new Bauer X:40 Inter OPS was about 2 inches too short. I added about an inch with a wooden end as I didn't want to alter the stick too much, but I probably would have been fine leaving it how it was.

Then again, it all comes down to how long of a stick you prefer. I would wait and get some time with what you have and see what the instructor says before you go spending money on a new stick. Better to have an idea what to look for than to spend money on something that might end up being totally wrong.

Anubis79 is offline   Reply With Quote