Notices

Stupid Herald...

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 09:08 AM
nhlbruin

vCash: 500
Stupid Herald...

I don't know about you guys and gals, but it really annoys me when I see glaring errors in the Bruins coverage of our two major newspapers...though more often in the Herald.

This is by no means the first time I've spotted a mistake, just the most recent. It's been bugging me for a while...I figured I'd point it out this time and see if I'm the only one this bothers. Is it me? Am I just too nitpicky??? I would think that if you're with the team everyday you'd have a good feel on things...and I thought writers were supposed to check their work...but hey, whatever...

The error in today's Herald involves the Bruins acquisition of Dan McGillis.
Steve Conroy writes, "Obtained in what appears to be a steal of a deal from San Jose for a fourth-round draft pick, McGillis made a near immediate impact, wiping out bodies along the boards and making opposing forwards pay for their forays into the slot."

http://www2.bostonherald.com/sport/b...bs09242003.htm

McGillis was acquired for a 2nd round pick, not a 4th. The Bruins sent a 4th rounder to Pittsburgh for Moran, not to SJ for McGillis. Normally, stating the wrong pick wouldn't be a big deal, but he's talking about it while saying it was a steal deal. A 4th rounder is worth far less than a 2nd rounder...

Old
09-24-2003, 09:44 AM
ron jeremy jacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlbruin
I
McGillis was acquired for a 2nd round pick, not a 4th. The Bruins sent a 4th rounder to Pittsburgh for Moran, not to SJ for McGillis. Normally, stating the wrong pick wouldn't be a big deal, but he's talking about it while saying it was a steal deal. A 4th rounder is worth far less than a 2nd rounder...
Yeah, I caught that too. A second round pick in a strong draft to augment a team with no goalie. I like the palyer a lot, but that is not much of a steal in my book. Let's see how much of a steal it turns out to be when McGillis leaves as a UFA right after the new CBA.

Old
09-24-2003, 10:32 AM
OLD51JOHN

What do you expect from media that does not care or respect the fans that they are writing for ????These people think that their thoughts & opinions are far above those of mere people ..... If they didnt steal ideas from each other they couldnt exist.... We are very lucky that we have Kirk , Hockey goddess & others we would go from week to week depending on a lot of misinfomation...

Old
09-24-2003, 12:50 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlbruin
I don't know about you guys and gals, but it really annoys me when I see glaring errors in the Bruins coverage of our two major newspapers...though more often in the Herald.

This is by no means the first time I've spotted a mistake, just the most recent. It's been bugging me for a while...I figured I'd point it out this time and see if I'm the only one this bothers. Is it me? Am I just too nitpicky??? I would think that if you're with the team everyday you'd have a good feel on things...and I thought writers were supposed to check their work...but hey, whatever...

The error in today's Herald involves the Bruins acquisition of Dan McGillis.
Steve Conroy writes, "Obtained in what appears to be a steal of a deal from San Jose for a fourth-round draft pick, McGillis made a near immediate impact, wiping out bodies along the boards and making opposing forwards pay for their forays into the slot."

http://www2.bostonherald.com/sport/b...bs09242003.htm

Maybe it is listed as a fourth round pick in the Bruins media guide...

Juuuuuuust kidding

Old
09-24-2003, 01:38 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD51JOHN
What do you expect from media that does not care or respect the fans that they are writing for ????These people think that their thoughts & opinions are far above those of mere people ..... If they didnt steal ideas from each other they couldnt exist.... We are very lucky that we have Kirk , Hockey goddess & others we would go from week to week depending on a lot of misinfomation...
he we all make mistakes and I completely missed it- probably because I was thinking how the two papers almost had the same stories. As for Harris, I think he is very good. Its tough when your sports editors deem your sport the little green garnishment on the side of the plate to the Pats and Sox- and yes, I was right there by on deck circle when the boys went deep last night- yah, baby- bring on those Yanks; cause theyz gonna be going home in a wodden casket

Closed Thread