HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next Years Cap Problems

Old
01-27-2010, 09:28 AM
TinordiandSubban

vCash: 500
How does Jamal Mayers fit into the cap next year?

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:30 AM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I don't think so, according to this thread, here is the list of Habs players with a NTC/NMC in their contracts.

Georges Laraque
Roman Hamrlik
Andrei Markov

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=5839539&postcount=1
ok but I'm pretty sure there is something about him being assured to get 100% of his contact regardless of what happens...traded, demoted, retired...So if you trade him to somewhere he doens't want or send him to Hamilton he can retire and still get paid (pretty much the same value as a NTC,NMC)

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:36 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
ok but I'm pretty sure there is something about him being assured to get 100% of his contact regardless of what happens...traded, demoted, retired...
I don't think he would still get all of his money. Since he signed after 35 years of age. I believe his salary still effects our Cap if he were to retire though.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:36 AM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
AK will be an RFA after next season. Arbitration eligible, but an RFA nonetheless.
Are you sure about that? Because AK started in the AHL at 19. This year is his 6th pro-year. Next year is his 7th year and that's the barometre for UFA is it not? 7 years of pro or 27 years of age.

He's only going to be 26 years-old when his contract expires at the end of next season but he will have met the pro requirements for UFA status.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:47 AM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I don't think he would still get all of his money. Since he signed after 35 years of age. I believe his salary still effects our Cap if he were to retire though.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
So basically we are stuck with his cap for 2 more years unless we trade him and he's ok with that...but it's highly doubtful.

Old
01-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Netro

Spacek's contract hits the cap no matter what - due to a 35 yo+ clause in the collective bargaining contract. Given his play, I don't think he is that tradeable. I think he needs to be moved back to LD. I also believe his issues are in part due to playing out of position.

To say that Moen, or anyone, is expendable because of Darche is, sorry, absurd. I wouldn't base any player that way. I do like what Darche has brought but am no where near convinced that he can do that game in, game out and establish himself as a bottom 6 player.

I really don't expect much churn on this team. I do agree that the injuries, mostly to key players, have prohibited us from seeing the true potential of this team. However, I also don't believe that this team has a high ceiling because it is too easy to play against. It needs some grit.

Re: Cap...Mara won't be around next year and I would trade Gill, even at the deadline this season. Gill is great on the PK but my lord, otherwise, he is a liability. I have no issues with MAB as #6D on this team for the remainder of the season and I'd fill his spot on the 4th line with Ryan White. MAB as the #7 D, at the right price for next season is ok if a young kid can make the team. Consider MAB the new Brisebois! I don't think we will see Metro back next season because I don't think the Habs will be able to afford him. Price's inconsistency will diminish his contract slightly next year (compared to what it could have been) and I do think Halak will be moved so a cheap veteran will be the backup.

The question then is Plekanec and the bottom 6. The Habs are going to have to fill the bottom 6 with younger, cheaper players who will need to step up. As for Pleks, well, as much as I like him, I would be thrilled to turn him and Halak into a top 2 centreman with size, skill and grit. Jeff Carter would be perfect but it won't happen (and I don't know contracts)

Cammelleri-XXXX-A.Kosty
Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-Lapierre-S.Kosty
Pacioretty-Maxwell-White
D'agostini/Pyatt/Darche

Markov-Gorges
Hamrlik-OByrne
Spacek-Subban/Weber
MAB

Price
Vet

Can someone please add this up for me and let me know how much would be left for the vet back-up and centreman?

Last edited by Netro: 01-27-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by inBobwetrust View Post
How does Jamal Mayers fit into the cap next year?
I wouldn't mind a younger version of Mayers. Basically a Moen-type guy that can play center and drop the gloves as needed and play physical, help on PK. Blair Betts? Halpern? Belanger? Mair?

...or maybe Lapierre going back to the way he played last year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 10:05 AM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Actually it says RFA for A.Kost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post

Price:
How much Price can get?
Same as Fleury?
Same as Lehtonen?
Same as Rask?
Di Pietro kind of contract?
Some posters wrote 5MX10... Does this makes sense?
What is the market value for Price right now?
I think Price's agent will suggest him to take a 2yr deal maximum (maybe 2yrs @ 3.0M$) at this point since he didn't prove he's the number 1 guy and then, when he'll be, get a big long contract for 6+ yrs @ 5+M$.

Last edited by NHLcrazy: 01-27-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old
01-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Brett38

I'm hoping that Pleks will sign for no more than 4.85 of a cap hit and Price for under 3.00 mill. Not sure about the length of the deals. One of Hammer, Spacek, or Gill should be out. Hammer, the best of the three would be certainly missed, but his salary at 5.5 would give us much needed cash to sign players we have. Spacek will be hard to get rid of at 3.85 or something like that. He still has several years remaining yet.

Brett38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 10:52 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
ok but I'm pretty sure there is something about him being assured to get 100% of his contact regardless of what happens...traded, demoted, retired...So if you trade him to somewhere he doens't want or send him to Hamilton he can retire and still get paid (pretty much the same value as a NTC,NMC)
If he was traded and retired, his cap hit would be on the team that he was traded to not us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
Are you sure about that? Because AK started in the AHL at 19. This year is his 6th pro-year. Next year is his 7th year and that's the barometre for UFA is it not? 7 years of pro or 27 years of age.

He's only going to be 26 years-old when his contract expires at the end of next season but he will have met the pro requirements for UFA status.
Pretty sure they don't count his first year in the AHL since he was 19 and didn't appear in any NHL games. I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain he will be an RFA.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:13 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Pretty sure they don't count his first year in the AHL since he was 19 and didn't appear in any NHL games. I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain he will be an RFA.
AKost will be RFA after his contract is up in 2011. His UFA year is 2012.

It's 7 NHL seasons or 27 years of age at June 30m, whichever comes first.

An NHL season is being on the roster for 40 games or more.

These nuances lead to the weird case of Ben Pouliot having one MORE year of RFA left than Guillaume Latendresse, who is younger.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:42 AM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
If he was traded and retired, his cap hit would be on the team that he was traded to not us.
Sure but if he makes it clear he'll retire if he's ever traded it's as good as a NTC.

Old
01-27-2010, 11:50 AM
KingGallagherXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think we'll be in that bad of a shape. I don't think too many players will get big raises.
Plekanec will get one, but I don't think Price will get a significant raise. With bonuses, his hit is already at 2.2M. I don't see him getting 4M, his play certainly doesn't warrant it.

I don't think a trade is a necessity really.
Translation: I haven't actually sat down and calculated anything, I'm just talking through my hat.

KingGallagherXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Cammy-Plek-Gionta-Pouliot-Gomez (except for his start), are all doing their job pretty well. A.Kost was doing good before going down too.
Hamrlik-Gorges-Markov are a good top 3.

So the top half of our team is playing well. Top 6 Forwards and Top3 Ds are doing their part.
Problem comes from the bottom part of our team. S.Kost is the only player in the bottom 6 that's really any good, and I don't understand why Martin puts Moen on 2nd before him.
Metro had a good start that cooled off, Lappy, Bergeron, and those extra filling players like Maxwell/Darche aren't going to help tremendously.
Spacek is probably playing his worst season so far, and it coincides with him having to play on the right side.
Although Gill can be useful with his reach, he's just too slow, Mara hasn't been solid and O'Byrne is still developing.

So what we need is better depth. We have a good top half, now we have to improve the support cast. We don't have a checking line, nor do we have an energy/aggressive one. That's the problem.
We put the 6 players's names in a bag, draw them out and that's the lines. They have no identity.

As for the bottom 3 Ds, at the least, Gill and Mara need to be replaced by quicker right handed Dman.

Yes, we're tied up with the cap, but we don't really need to go after other top players. Price tag for such players is quite low. So it's not so bad.
This of course depends on how much Plek will ask for.
again, where you stand is a bubble team with little to no wiggle room. How do you get better? Internally there isn't much potential.

There is zero problem keeping the team together but getting better is another story unless you are happy with this team. Plekanec is going to suck up a lot of available cap space. Price will get a raise, there is no doubt.

Last edited by Kirk Muller: 01-27-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 07:42 PM
AntonCH

cap squeeze, what cap sqeeze?

Maybe it's because i'm a glass half full kind of guy.
Maybe it's because I'm not the type to get attached to players, just the team.

I don't see a problem moving forward
there may be some issues, but not the problems some have painted.

Pam's remarks were pretty good,he hit the nail on the head with the bottom six forwards as well as Gomez - Price - AKost and Markov
I'd like to add the following:

an RFA is just that, Restricted, so all the habs have to do is tender a qualifying offer.
If another team signs them to an offer sheet, take the picks and run!
If they're eligible for arbritration ....... go or settle just before.

Spacek is playing on the wrong side, wether we like to admit it or not, not all NHL calibre players can play the off-side effectively.

Other than Markov, everyone on this team is expendable.
Halak/Price, you keep one you trade one, or they're signed to an offer sheet and you get a mess of picks.

Mara, Bergeron and Metropolit will most probably be gone
They will be replaced (hopefully) by the youth on the farm

With Plekanec slowing somewhat, do you think that he will get $6 million dollar offers?

There are never any problems........just solutions

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:28 AM
ccgg

Maybe trade Plekanec for a 1st pick and Price for a 1st,2,3rd pick can help us for the cap problem. Pouliot is a center. With a good first round pick, we can hope Kirill Kabanov or Brett Connolly or Joe Louis... Sergei will probably play in KHL next year so there is a little problem in third line. Hello UFA...

Mike Cammalleri - Scott Gomez - Andrei Kostitsyn
Kirill Kabanov - Benoit Pouliot - Brian Gionta
Max Pacioretty - Benjamin Maxwell - ???
Travis Moen - Maxim Lapierre - Ryan White

IMO, there is our bigger problem... Josh Gorges will take the Hamrlik spot in the season 2011-12, a guy need to play at left third line. Im ok with Subban and O'Byrne but they cant play 24 minutes per game vs topfoward. I dont really like Spacek... he is not the real Jaroslav Spacek and he is not big and strong, i want Brent Seabrook, i want the impossible..

Andrei Markov - ??
Roman Hamrlik - P.K. Subban
Josh Gorges - Ryan O'Byrne

Jaroslav Halak
33 years old goalie who can do ,905%-,910%

ccgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 01:36 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Maybe it's because i'm a glass half full kind of guy.
Maybe it's because I'm not the type to get attached to players, just the team.

I don't see a problem moving forward
there may be some issues, but not the problems some have painted.

Pam's remarks were pretty good,he hit the nail on the head with the bottom six forwards as well as Gomez - Price - AKost and Markov
I'd like to add the following:

an RFA is just that, Restricted, so all the habs have to do is tender a qualifying offer.
If another team signs them to an offer sheet, take the picks and run!
If they're eligible for arbritration ....... go or settle just before.

Spacek is playing on the wrong side, wether we like to admit it or not, not all NHL calibre players can play the off-side effectively.

Other than Markov, everyone on this team is expendable.
Halak/Price, you keep one you trade one, or they're signed to an offer sheet and you get a mess of picks.

Mara, Bergeron and Metropolit will most probably be gone
They will be replaced (hopefully) by the youth on the farm

With Plekanec slowing somewhat, do you think that he will get $6 million dollar offers?

There are never any problems........just solutions
Where can I get a pair of your rose coloured glasses.

At the moment we are right up against the cap. Both Pouliot and Plekanec are in for big raises (probably close to $4 million between them). Our goaltending will likely cost a little more than last year.

We might be able to save $800K defense by replacing Mara with one of our prospects. We might be able to save $200K with our RFA forwards but that is being optimistic, about $200K by replacing Metropolit with a prospect, and another $1 million on Laraque's contract. But since Laraque's position will be filled by another player making at least the league minimum, the true saving is only $500K.

That adds up to a total saving of about $1.7 million while adding about $4 million. Can someone tell me where we are going to cut another $2.3 million in salary.

We are so screwed because no one was paying attention to cap numbers. The three big culprits when it comes to eating cap space as compared to performance are Gomez, Spacek and Gill.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 01:39 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Hamrlik and Spacek are the cause of a lot of our problems cap-wise. almost 10m for two over-paid, average defenseman.

WhiskeySeven* is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 01:43 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
Hamrlik and Spacek are the cause of a lot of our problems cap-wise. almost 10m for two over-paid, average defenseman.
One of them will have to be moved in order for us to be competitive next season, there is no doubt about that.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 01:48 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
One of them will have to be moved in order for us to be competitive next season, there is no doubt about that.
I can live with Hamrlik because he has only one year left and actually makes a contribution. Because of his age when he signed the contract he can be bought out and that makes him tradeable.

Spacek has two more years left and we are tied to that contract until the end.

Our biggest headache is Gomez. Four more years at $7.3 million eats up way too much cap space. There are maybe six players in the league who deserve that kind of contract and Gomez isn't one of them.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
I agree. Here's hoping one of them is moved.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 01:54 PM
coolasprICE

Again, Hamrlik, Spacek or Gomez can not be moved unless we accept an equivalently bad contract in exchange.

It's the other price you pay for overpaying.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:27 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Again, Hamrlik, Spacek or Gomez can not be moved unless we accept an equivalently bad contract in exchange.

It's the other price you pay for overpaying.

Hamrlik

Hamrlik is a very solid top4 D and though we tend to forget about it in Montreal ($$$ is not an issue in Montreal), some teams barely respect the LOWER limit.

Moving Hamrlik for a player with a front loaded contract would allow the Habs's trade partner to (1) respect the lower limit (similar cap hit) while (2) saving money in terms of salary.

For instance (no hidden agenda here! ) , if the Habs package Hamrlik to TB for Lecavalier, TB would still respect the lower limit (Lecavalier and Hamlrik' cap hits are similar) but TB would save 4,5M$ in salary.

Roman "The Stabilizer" Hamrlik is slightly overpaid; his contract is not THAT bad. Plus, he only has one year left to his contract. He is very movable imo.

Spacek

A few months ago, Spacek was Buffalo's best D. He has been solid defensively for us in 2009-10 and if used on left, I am sure he would be able to contribute more offensively. He is also "movable" imo.

Gomez

A solid player (and 5 years younger than Koivu) but my GAWD what a horrible contract, from a team perspective, he has. I agree with you: the only GM in the league that would accept to absorb his contract is already in Montreal. Gomez is unmoveable imo.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:35 PM
Marc-E-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
We need Hamrlik as he'd be the perfect partner for Subban next year, so I hope he's still a Hab next year.
No we don't.

Marc-E- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:57 PM
Darz

there is no doubt that over the next two offseason there will need to be some juggling just to try and keep what we have together now, and it's not like we are talking about a first place club we are trying to keep together.

I'm hoping that the habs can get creative with Markov when he needs to be re-signed. Hopefully something front loaded, that can keep his cap hit relatively the same.

I'm still not sure what I want to se happen with Plekanec. I mean if he wants over $5M a year, I just don't see how we make that work. When you already have three forwards taking up $18M in cap money, it is hard to justify another $5M-$6M for another.

I don't see a problem with Hamrlik's contract. If needed I think we could easily find a taker, and not have to take a crappy contract back. A reliable veteran d-man that can play in every situation isn't something you have to beg GM's to take off your hands. Especially when the term is small. He might have to be moved before next year. Don't wanna see it happen, but it is one spot where we could free up cap space.

i'm glad, I'm not the guy who has to figure out what to do about the goaltending situation as well. Althought it is a nice problem to have, there is no way we can keep both goalies going into next year, and no matter what avenue the team takes, it could potentially blow up in their face. I would love to see which ever way the teams goes goaltender wise, to see the return be more along the lines of a first round pick.....other factors can be added either way to make the deal work. The two things that are invaluable in the salary cap NHL are draft picks and young talent.

Oh yeah, and management need to make sure they position the team to take a run at Sidney in a few years. Would hate to see him approach UFA status without the habs in a great position to nab him. His destiny is to be a Montreal Canadien. Managment has to make sure this happens!!!!