HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Tortorella?

Old
01-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Slick Rick 61

vCash: 500
I have not been a big fan of Torts since day 1. His schtick has without a doubt gone sour on the players. They're playing timid. They're afraid to make mistakes. They aren't that talented. There's plenty of problems.

There's also problems with Torts. His team repeatedly comes out flat. His fault. His in-game adjustments (or lack thereof) suck. His fault. He's made his share of head scratching decisions too.

That said, the only way he should get fired is if Dolan fires Sather too. Sather doesn't deserve the right to fire another coach.

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 10:56 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Torts is a major doosh who yaps a lot but I think he's the right coach for this team. Renney had the same issues with his prototypical players. The issue is that we are a team loaded with young guys with NOBODY on the veteran side to step up and carry the team.

I still think we need to hand even more younger guys to Torts and let him whip them into NHL hustlers and bangers with attitudes.

I have to agree with LB on this: the vets on this team are a collective cancer. Just like the 1993 Mets. Time for change and upheaval.
The problem is, how do you realistically do that? Its extremely hard given the contracts. We are totally stuck. You cant just buy out everyone...(not saying you are offering that plan)

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:00 PM
silverfish
Player Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
The problem is, how do you realistically do that? Its extremely hard given the contracts. We are totally stuck. You cant just buy out everyone...(not saying you are offering that plan)
Get the best value you can for players like Rozsival, and Higgins.
Waive players you can like Redden who have no value.
Continue being stuck with unmovable players like Drury.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:04 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Get the best value you can for players like Rozsival, and Higgins.
Waive players you can like Redden who have no value.
Continue being stuck with unmovable players like Drury.
Wont you still be on the hook for a portion of the salary?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:04 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
In year's past, Renney had an outing where he invited the team's fathers on a road trip. Tonight, Tortorella benched Redden with his father in the building (in fact, Im almost certain Torts has no idea Redden's dad was there...kind of hilights my point even more)

I think that shows the differences in personalities between Tortorella and his predecessor.

Its just so damn easy to lose a team completely when you're such a brash, polarizing figure. Thats what we're seeing now in less than a year. Renney lasted 3 and a half without having a team quit on him.

And lets not sugarcoat things, I know this team sucks. I know theres a talent problem...we've had that issue for a couple of years now. But at the end of Renney's tenure and right now, we're seeing a different kind of problem...a team thats quitting.

They have totally quit on their coach. I think Renney's issues were similar to Torts': The veterans never stepped up when asked.

I have to admit that i was happy to see them move forward from jagr, but it is so obvious how important he was to the organization and to his coach.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:07 PM
silverfish
Player Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Wont you still be on the hook for a portion of the salary?
He still needs his $6.5 million but it's off the books. If we tried to bring him through re-entry then he might be claimed and we'd be on the hook for half that for the remainder of his contract, like Avery.

That being said what would happen was Redden would be waived and sent to Hartford, he'd refuse to go, and then the Rangers would be able to terminate the contract as far as I know. Off the hook.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:11 PM
94now

Well, I want Sather to go, but if he has lifetime employment, he should consider replacing Torts with Sullivan. I think Sullivan is true pro, but most of all he is well mannered and much less scandalous. That is what this team needs the most - calm. If Slats is able to move Kotalik fast and quite things up that way, than Torts could start takes things under control. The coach change will not help our playoff chances, though. We suck by design, not due to poor coaching. Torts has an ability to bring out the best out of a talent. He is powerless against mediocrity i.e. he cannot make plumbers a winners.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
We suck by design, not due to poor coaching
You can suck and not lose 5-1 at home to the Carolina Hurricanes.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:19 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Well, I want Sather to go, but if he has lifetime employment, he should consider replacing Torts with Sullivan. I think Sullivan is true pro, but most of all he is well mannered and much less scandalous. That is what this team needs the most - calm. If Slats is able to move Kotalik fast and quite things up that way, than Torts could start takes things under control. The coach change will not help our playoff chances, though. We suck by design, not due to poor coaching. Torts has an ability to bring out the best out of a talent. He is powerless against mediocrity i.e. he cannot make plumbers a winners.
The problem is THIS team may not be here next year. You know it changes every year.
So what good for THIS team may not be good for next years team.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:20 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
They have totally quit on their coach. I think Renney's issues were similar to Torts': The veterans never stepped up when asked.

I have to admit that i was happy to see them move forward from jagr, but it is so obvious how important he was to the organization and to his coach.
Quitting on the coach.

They quit on themselves. What is wrong with these guys?
The whole thing was crystallized by Girardi hemming an hawing .....fish or cut bait....fish or cut bait...watching the Gaborik-Carcillo thing.

I'm not trying to open that can of worms, but it showed showed that the team does not reflect Tortorella at all. I think these guys don't care enough to be a team, and I would not blame a coach for their lack of initiative and effort.

And some other coach will supposedly get all these guys to act differently.

Good luck to whoever that short term coach is.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

He hasn't even been in a year they have no right to quit on him, and I don't think they have.

Kel Varnsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:49 AM
levski87

They haven't quit on Torts.

The problem is the veterans (Redden,Drury, Higgins, etc.. ) don't have enough skill to fulfill the roles they were brought in here to do.

No matter how many times Torts calls them out in the media, they will never play better BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT THAT SKILLED.

The talent on this team blows. Its a mixup of to many grinders and not enough playmakers/scorers. Whats also worse is when your grinders lack toughness, but thats a whole other **** storm.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:02 AM
HoosierDaddy

Another in a ong line of misfit Ranger coaches...

He should not have been hired in the first place. What a nasty, miserable person. But I so get a kick out of his "deer in the headlights" look on his face. Priceless.

Notice how the tough guy has withdrawn more and more as the heat gets higher in the kitchen? That's a typical response by a bully that gets off dominating players because of his position of power. The players don't give a crap what he tries now. If you're not respected you aren't able to motivate. And my personal OPINION is that he has lost some of his players with his illogical allotment of playing time.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:07 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Torts shoudl not be fired, UNLESS you fire Sather, sign a new GM, and he wants to put his stamp on the team by starting fresh. If that's the case, then so be it.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:07 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
They haven't quit on Torts.

The problem is the veterans (Redden,Drury, Higgins, etc.. ) don't have enough skill to fulfill the roles they were brought in here to do.

No matter how many times Torts calls them out in the media, they will never play better BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT THAT SKILLED.

The talent on this team blows. Its a mixup of to many grinders and not enough playmakers/scorers. Whats also worse is when your grinders lack toughness, but thats a whole other **** storm.
There's a segment of the HF population that believe you only need heart and desire to help a team. I've been fighting and exhausting battle so people will understand that you can't win much with a team full of plumbers.

That said, I disagree with you that the team hasn't quit on Torturella. He's been pretty cocky, bordering on mean calling out players and jerking them in and out of the line-up. At some point all the screaming and yelling, berating and chastising falls on deaf ears. JMO

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:13 AM
DrZoidberg

Torts isn't a bad man.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/nov...rts-lightning/

I still have faith in what he can do. Just not with this squad of talentless morons who don't care to bring it every night.

DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:18 AM
Axxion89

This is a team of underachievers with its "best" players consisting of burnt-out stars. If Gaborik and Lundqvist were on the IR, this team would prolly have a lock for the 1st overall pick. Firing Torts will do nothing except make the players play worse. Besides, who would you hire thats left on the market?

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:21 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Firing Torts will solve nothing. At best it will spark the team for a couple of months, creating a temporary dynamic, but things will inevitably come back to "normal" after. We all know what this team really need, and that's not a change of coaching staff.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:45 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
If Slats fires him he's going to take over as coach for the rest of the season..........is that what we really want again?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 07:29 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

No way Torts should be fired. We've had 2 Head coaches in the post-lockout era with 2 different systems and the team looks pretty much the same. When that happens, it is the man upstairs who goes. Sather just isn't getting the right personnel to fit the coaching style, and this team is at a loss for chemistry. But what team that has all these new players year after year WOULD have chemistry? Not many. So in essence: Fire Sather. I'm sure not many people would disagree with me on that

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 07:37 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion89 View Post
This is a team of underachievers with its "best" players consisting of burnt-out stars. If Gaborik and Lundqvist were on the IR, this team would prolly have a lock for the 1st overall pick. Firing Torts will do nothing except make the players play worse. Besides, who would you hire thats left on the market?
Or if they played in the West.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 07:58 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quit on Torts? If you are saying they quit on Torts, then in that same light they all quit on Renney last year as well. And after two identical instances, that certainly is not the fault of the coach. These guys are professionals. They get paid to play this game. This isn't a Might Ducks movie where someone doesn't like the coach and bails on his team.

These guys aren't a team. It has nothing to do with the coach. Nothing to do with the lines. It's just a bunch of random players thrown together in which everyone was hoping for the best.

And to be honest, I highly doubt it was just Renney [I'm not downplaying Renney's work at all] that kept the team calm for his tenure. I think it had more to due with Jagr. Once Jagr wasn't on this team... well, we know what happened then [Renney fired that season, now this season].

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by js10 View Post
coach does not play the game but should tell the players how to play the game. defense is playing like blind, can't even pass a puck precisely. When offense dumps the puck, I keep vomiting.. how do they want to win if they purposefully lose the puck??? Their play does not have any system..player gets the puck and looks completely stupid because he really does not know what to do. If you see play of Pittsburgh, you can see the difference. They expect the other players at certain spots.. have certain playing schemes in mind. Our team? they play absolute cr*p! that is Tortorella' fault! Get rid of him now!!
You're comparing a Pittsburgh team with Crosby and Malkin to the Rangers? Get out of here...

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 08:47 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I mentioned this in the GDT last night, but it got buried in the excessive complaining.

Fire Sather
Fire the ENTIRE coaching staff, except for Allaire(spelling).

Hire NEW BLOOD for EVERY position.

That means, new blood GM.

New blood coaching staff.

I want a tactical coach, that is elequant, classy, and young enough to not be corrupted by NHL politics.

I want a coach from the CHL or NCAA ranks.

I want a GM that undertand the value of building a team. A GM that has foresight. That has a plan and will not waiver from it.

I want a GM that is a PURE, 100% hockey mind and fan.

So, to reitterate:

GM- New Blood.
Coaching staff: CHL or NCAA

The only coach I keep is Benny Allaire because he and Henrik have a long lasting relationship.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:23 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
No way Torts should be fired. We've had 2 Head coaches in the post-lockout era with 2 different systems and the team looks pretty much the same. When that happens, it is the man upstairs who goes. Sather just isn't getting the right personnel to fit the coaching style, and this team is at a loss for chemistry. But what team that has all these new players year after year WOULD have chemistry? Not many. So in essence: Fire Sather. I'm sure not many people would disagree with me on that
We never REALLY had Tortorella's system in place. He himself quit on it and returned to Renney's "boring" hockey once he figured out he has no personnel to play his way. All he can do now is arbitrary bench players who unable to deliver anyway. In other words, he is kicking a dead horse.
This is still a two man team. Probably Sather is unable to do any better. Instead of Jagr we have Gaborik who is obviously more streaky than Jagr was. And we still have Hank, who is either on decline or reached a plateau (depending of how much love one have for the guy). We replaced Straka and Nylander with youth that is no good yet, as a best assessment, or just no good enough. And we put in charge someone who is unable to develop young players, a slave driver who is good for a talented team to take it over the hop. We don't have a talented team for him. Torts should never take a job.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote