HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Looking back at the Thrashers and Predators"

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2004, 10:22 AM
vopatsrash

vCash: 500
"Looking back at the Thrashers and Predators"

USA Today's Hockey Rewind

NASHVILLE PREDATORS

Franchise notes: The Predators joined the league in 1998, with David Poile manning the general manager's seat. Poile, who was known during his years with the Washington Capitals as a GM as conservative as Rush Limbaugh, has slowly built the Predators into a pesky, hard-working bunch. The team is a lunch-pail group of the first order, and is probably the toughest (and, at times, the dirtiest) team in the league. They would have fit in well in the old Norris Division of the late 1980s. The crowds in Nashville are catching on quickly, and the next few seasons should be very interesting for this team and its fans, now that they've finally tasted a bit of what the NHL playoffs are all about.

Inaugural season: 1998-99

Number of years in the league: Six

Number of times in the playoffs: One

Final appearances: None

Stanley Cups: None

Best season: 2003-2004 (38-29-11-4, 91 points)

Worst season: 1998-99 (28-47-7, 63 points)

Number of coaches: One, Barry Trotz, who looks a little like Boris Badunov from the old Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons.

Best coach: Trotz

Worst coach: Trotz ("He was the best of coaches, he was the worst of coaches … ")

Best captain: Tom Fitzgerald (1998-2001)

Worst captain: Greg Johnson (2002-present)

Best trade: On Halloween, 1998, the Predators got Cliff Ronning and Richard Lintner from Phoenix for future considerations. Ronning is still the Predators' all-time assist leader, and remains on many of the team's career leaders lists.

Worst trade: On June 27, 1998, before the Preds had even played their first game, they traded their first- and second-round picks to San Jose for the Sharks' first- and third- round picks. The Preds got David Legwand and Geoff Koch out of the deal, but the Sharks got Brad Stuart and Jonathan Cheechoo. Had Koch amounted to anything, this trade might have been a wash, but as it stands now, San Jose wins.

Best first-round draft pick: It'll eventually be Scottie Upshall (2002), but for now it's probably Legwand (1998).

Worst first-round draft pick: Probably Brian Finley in 1999.

Loves to play: Columbus (12-7-1-1)

Hates to play: St. Louis (8-19-4-2)

Ten best players: David Legwand, Cliff Ronning, Scott Walker, Scott Hartnell, Greg Johnson, Kimmo Timonen, Denis Arkhipov, Tom Fitzgerald, Karlis Skrastins, Mike Dunham

Of course, any article that includes a "Ten best Preds" that includes Denis Arkhipov and Mike Dunham, but leaves out Tomas Vokoun should be taken with a grain of salt. You could arguably insert AJ and Vladdy over Arkhipov. OK, you could arguably insert Adam Hall, Martin Erat, Kjellberg, and a month and a half of Sully over Arkhipov.

So, who are the top 10 Preds? how about a solid top 5 of...

Walker
Vokoun
Ronning
Timonen
Johnson

and a debatable 6-10 of...

Legwand
Dunham
Orszagh
Skrastins
Fitzgerald

with Johansson and Hartnell barely missing the cut and Adam Hall and Erat certainly poised to eventually break that list. I think a solid argument could be made for top 10 status for any of those 12-14. of course, Sullivan would immediately qualify as a top 10 pred in terms of ability and impact, but I am not including him since he has yet to (and may never) play a full season as a Pred. Also, I feel like I'm forgetting someone.

Old
12-29-2004, 11:01 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Nice link, but it's so easy to pick apart. I guess that's why it's the USAToday.

Some quotes I find funny from the Atlanta portion

Quote:
Don Waddell, from the start was to build for the future, and take the inevitable lumps along the way. A combination of savvy hiring decisions ... and smart drafting (Waddell made Ilya Kovalchuk the first Russian player ever selected first overall in the NHL draft in 2001, a year after drafting whiz kid Dany Heatley second overall) has turned the Thrashers into a team with a very bright future.
Giving him credit for drafting either of those two is ludicrous. Anyone who didn't take Kovalchuk is a Canadian homer in love with Spezza. And Heatley should have gone first overall but was gifted to Atlanta thanks to Mad Dog Mike. Same deal with Lehtonen. There have been three picks in Atlanta's history where they didn't have to make any choice but to trade down. In those picks, they landed studs. I give them credit for putting themselves in that situation, but I just can't give Waddell credit for doing the same thing any other NHL observer would do.

The three picks where he had to make a decision on whom to take? Well, the results are spotty. Patrik Stefan (1st/99) was hardly the consensus top pick what with his concussion history. Waddell had to choose whom to draft here. The same can be said for Coburn (8th/2003) and Valabik (10th/2004). Neither have been exactly stellar since being drafted, but both could have bright futures.

A true test of a GM is how well he drafts outside of the top 10. Anyone and everyone finds winners in the first 10. But the Thrashers have only 2 NHLers they drafted outside of the top 2 on their hockey team right now: Garnett Exelby (8th round, 1999) and Pasi Nurminen (6th round, 2001). In that same span (and we'll include 1998 draftees that made it to the NHL by year 2003 (to make it even), the Predators brought in Karlis Skrastins (9th round, 1998), Denis Arkhipov (3rd round, 1998), Adam Hall (2nd round, 1999), Martin Erat (7th round 1999), Jordin Tootoo (4th round, 2001). And this doesn't include players like Shishkanov, Hutchinson, and Pivko who might very well have played on the Thrashers last year if available to them. My point is that the Waddell (and many other GM's) get credit for picking top picks when there is no decision to be made, but people look past pathetic drafting records outside the top 10. Well, enough of that pet peeve.

Quote:
The Thrashers are just two or three quality players from turning into a legitimate playoff threat.
Geez, how many teams in the league aren't in this situation? Maybe only the Pittsburgh Penguins don't fit that bill but you add 3 quality players to any team and they are going to become legitimate threats.

Old
12-29-2004, 12:10 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
maybe I'm wrong but I don't think the ronning trade is a better trade than sully for two 2nd's. essentially, that trade landed us in the playoffs. wether it was strictly due to sully's offensive contributions or the move just sparking the team, who is quite sure, but it did something.

I also think the dunham for murray, zidlicky, kloucek was more important. firstly, because of zidlicky, but most importantly because it gave vokie the chance to step up and prove he is one of the top netminders in the league.

It really depends on how you define "best" trade.

Old
12-29-2004, 12:19 PM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
maybe I'm wrong but I don't think the ronning trade is a better trade than sully for two 2nd's. essentially, that trade landed us in the playoffs. wether it was strictly due to sully's offensive contributions or the move just sparking the team, who is quite sure, but it did something.

I also think the dunham for murray, zidlicky, kloucek was more important. firstly, because of zidlicky, but most importantly because it gave vokie the chance to step up and prove he is one of the top netminders in the league.

It really depends on how you define "best" trade.
I agree; I think the Dunham trade is the best trade. I do think the Ronning trade was a bit better than the Sully trade because what we gave up...One could also throw in the Kimmo for FCs trade. Although Legwand is my favorite player; I think that one our 2 D-men Studs will be our best first rounder rather than Upshall as the article states.

Last edited by tulsytrid1: 12-29-2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old
12-29-2004, 01:10 PM
vopatsrash

it could also be argued that the Karalahti trade was worse than the 1998 draft pick trade.

I can't remember who we drafted with the draft pick we got from LA in addition to Drinkalahti (i think it was a 4th rounder), so maybe that trade didn't work out as badly as it seemed. It also had the side benefit of taking away Legwand's crutch in Cliffy.

And, it also caused a poster on the official board (can't remember his/her name) to about lose his/her ****e for about 3-4 years.

Old
12-29-2004, 02:01 PM
Pred303

gid

Old
12-29-2004, 02:37 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash
it could also be argued that the Karalahti trade was worse than the 1998 draft pick trade.

I can't remember who we drafted with the draft pick we got from LA in addition to Drinkalahti (i think it was a 4th rounder), so maybe that trade didn't work out as badly as it seemed. It also had the side benefit of taking away Legwand's crutch in Cliffy.

And, it also caused a poster on the official board (can't remember his/her name) to about lose his/her ****e for about 3-4 years.
Los Angeles Kings traded Jere Karalahti and a 4th round selection (Teemu Lassila) in 2003 to the Nashville Predators for Cliff Ronning.

Looking back this wasn't all that bad of a deal, Ronning was clearly passed his prime. Karalahti was a risk but if he wasn't there's no way would could get a player of his talent for a washed up Ronning.

Old
12-29-2004, 03:01 PM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Los Angeles Kings traded Jere Karalahti and a 4th round selection (Teemu Lassila) in 2003 to the Nashville Predators for Cliff Ronning.

Looking back this wasn't all that bad of a deal, Ronning was clearly passed his prime. Karalahti was a risk but if he wasn't there's no way would could get a player of his talent for a washed up Ronning.
lassila is the wild card in this trade and why it still cann't be called a total bust quite yet...this guy could still beat out finley a year or two from now

Old
12-29-2004, 03:02 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Here's a few of the "Best trades"

Los Angeles Kings traded Jan Vopat and Kimmo Timonen to the Nashville Predators for future considerations.

Nashville Predators traded future considerations for Sebestian Bordeleau. The "considerations" was that Nashville selected Tomas Vokoun in the entry draft. They wanted Vokoun out so bad they threw in an extra player.

Nashville Predators traded Drake Berehowsky to the Vancouver Canucks for a 2nd round selection (previously acquired - Timofei Shishkanov) in 2001.

Old
12-29-2004, 03:20 PM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Here's a few of the "Best trades"

Los Angeles Kings traded Jan Vopat and Kimmo Timonen to the Nashville Predators for future considerations.

Nashville Predators traded future considerations for Sebestian Bordeleau. The "considerations" was that Nashville selected Tomas Vokoun in the entry draft. They wanted Vokoun out so bad they threw in an extra player.

Nashville Predators traded Drake Berehowsky to the Vancouver Canucks for a 2nd round selection (previously acquired - Timofei Shishkanov) in 2001.
Ya I was amazed Poile got a 2nd rounder for Drake.

Old
12-29-2004, 05:21 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsytrid1
Ya I was amazed Poile got a 2nd rounder for Drake.
And not just any 2nd rounder, one of the first picks in the second round.

Old
12-29-2004, 05:26 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
This is my favorite Preds transaction to date. We gave up nothing and got a great energy guy who was key in several milestone victories (first OT win against NJ, etc.) and our franchise goaltender. And we did so in an expansion draft lacking any noticeable talent (at the time) save for Dunham, Johnson, and Boughner (that we would actually realize).

Old
12-29-2004, 06:09 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
This is my favorite Preds transaction to date. We gave up nothing and got a great energy guy who was key in several milestone victories (first OT win against NJ, etc.) and our franchise goaltender. And we did so in an expansion draft lacking any noticeable talent (at the time) save for Dunham, Johnson, and Boughner (that we would actually realize).
Dulzhok made reference that Hejduk was available in the expansion draft. Whether or not that is true, I have no idea. Still, its not like Hejduk was a huge prospect of the Avs at the time, or he wouldn't have been left exposed (if this is indeed true).

12-29-2004, 09:18 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

on the whole, any preds fan worth his salt will find large chunks of that article laughable.

Old
12-30-2004, 12:02 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

He was left unprotected as was Chris Drury.

Old
12-30-2004, 12:06 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Is there a list for this? I ask because Hejduk was great in the Czech league that year so it wasn't as if he was nothing. Maybe there was a fear that he had no desire to play in North America.

I am also curious as to why a 21-22 year old European and a 21-22 year old American have to even be protected by their respective clubs? How much different is the Expansion draft from the waiver draft?

Old
12-30-2004, 12:11 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
I don't think Drury was available upon further inspection. Using the 2000 draft rules (the only ones I could find), any first/second year pro is not available for the draft. Any unsigned prospect is not available either unless that pick was a European selected in the draft 4 years previous. Drury was about to enter his rookie year and would not have been available. Hejduk, however, was likely unsigned and since he was drafted 4 years earlier (1994), he would need to be protected or left exposed.

Here is confirmation.

http://www.hockeynut.com/9899/exp98protect.html

Old
12-30-2004, 12:18 AM
SmokeyClause

Some noticeable players available that didn't end up on our team...Adrian Aucoin, Arturs Irbe, Brett Hull, Paul Coffey, Sean Burke, Kim Johnsson, Dick Tarnstrom, Dave Andreychuk, Phillipe Boucher, Jaroslav Modry, Marek Malik.

Old
12-30-2004, 12:33 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

1998 Expansion Draft Protected and Available Lists
Anaheim
PROTECTED LIST
Travis Green (C)
Paul Kariya (L)
Josef Marha (C)
Jim McKenzie (L)
Jeff Nielsen (R)
Steve Rucchin (C)
Teemu Selanne (R)
Dave Karpa (D)
Jason Marshall (D)
Jamie Pushor (D)
Pavel Trnka (D)
Guy Hebert (G)
Patrick Lalime (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Shawn Antoski (L)
Ted Drury (C)
Peter Leboutillier (R)
Eric Lecompte (L)
Tommi Miettinen * (C)
Richard Park (C)
Craig Reichert (R)
Tomas Sandstrom (R)
Brent Severyn (L)
Jeremy Stevenson (L)
Kevin Todd (C)
Bob Wren (L)
Scott Young (R)
Drew Bannister (D)
Doug Houda (D)
Nikolai Tsulygin (D)
Mikhail Shtalenkov (G)
Boston
PROTECTED LIST
Jason Allison (C)
Rob DiMaio (L)
Ted Donato (L)
Steve Heinze (R)
Dmitri Khristich (R)
Tim Taylor (C)
Landon Wilson (R)
Ray Bourque (D)
Kyle McLaren (D)
Don Sweeney (D)
Darren Van Impe (D)
Byron Dafoe (G)
Robbie Tallas (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Ken Baumgartner (L)
P-C Drouin (L)
Bill McCauley (C)
Trent McCleary (C)
Kirk Nielsen (R)
Andre Roy (L)
Mike Sullivan (L)
Dean Chynoweth (D)
Dave Ellett (D)
Grant Ledyard (D)
Dean Malkoc (D)
Milt Mastad (D)
Anders Myrvold (D)
Charles Paquette (D)
Barry Richter (D)
Jon Rohloff (D)
Andrei Sapozhnikov * (D)
Yevgeny Shaldybin (D)
Andrei Yakhanov (D)
Jim Carey (G)
Joakim Persson * (G)

Buffalo
PROTECTED LIST
Donald Audette (R)
Matthew Barnaby (R)
Curtis Brown (L)
Michal Grosek (L)
Brian Holzinger (C)
Michael Peca (C)
Derek Plante (C)
Wayne Primeau (C)
Geoff Sanderson (L)
Miroslav Satan (L)
Darryl Shannon (D)
Richard Smehlik (D)
Mike Wilson (D)
Jason Woolley (D)
Alexei Zhitnik (D)
Dominik Hasek (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Randy Burridge (L)
Paul Kruse (L)
Scott Nichol (C)
Rob Ray (R)
Dixon Ward (R)
Bob Boughner (D)
Mike Hurlbut (D)
Sergei Klimentiev (D)
Rumun Ndur (D)
Shayne Wright (D)
Kay Whitmore (G)
Calgary
PROTECTED LIST
Valeri Bure (R)
Andrew Cassels (C)
Nisse Ekman * (L)
Theoren Fleury (R)
Ladislav Kohn (R)
Marty McInnis (L)
Michael Nylander (C)
Dave Roche (L)
Cory Stillman (C)
Jason Wiemer (L)
Tommy Albelin (D)
Jamie Allison (D)
Sami Helenius (D)
Cale Hulse (D)
Todd Simpson (D)
Ken Wregget (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Bobby Brown (C)
Aaron Gavey (C)
Mattias Johansson * (R)
Jorgen Jonsson * (C)
Andreas Karlsson * (C)
Valeri Karpov (R)
Esa Keskinen * (C)
Jasper Mattsson (R)
Marty Murray (C)
Mike Peluso (L)
Ron Stern (R)
Ed Ward (L)
Sergei Zolotov * (R)
Joel Bouchard (D)
Eric Charron (D)
Kevin Dahl (D)
Jim Dowd (D)
Johan Finnstrom * (D)
Keith McCambridge (D)
James Patrick (D)
Pavel Rajnoha * (D)
Dimitri Riabykin * (D)
Tyler Moss (G)
Dwayne Roloson (G)
Rick Tabaracci (G)

Carolina
PROTECTED LIST
Nelson Emerson (R)
Martin Gelinas (L)
Stu Grimson (L)
Sami Kapanen (R)
Robert Kron (R)
Jeff O'Neill (C)
Keith Primeau (C)
Gary Roberts (L)
Ray Sheppard (R)
Adam Burt (D)
Steve Chiasson (D)
Kevin Haller (D)
Curtis Leschyshyn (D)
Nolan Pratt (D)
Glen Wesley (D)
Trevor Kidd (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Kevin Brown (R)
Jeff Daniels (L)
Kevin Dineen (R)
Dimitri Gorenko * (L)
Steve Leach (R)
Kent Manderville (C)
Paul Ranheim (L)
Steven Rice (R)
Brian Secord (C)
Kevin Smyth (L)
Joacim Esbjors * (D)
Sean Hill (D)
Marek Malik (D)
Jason McBain (D)
Mike Fountain (G)
Pat Jablonski (G)
Manny Legace (G)
Chicago
PROTECTED LIST
Tony Amonte (R)
Eric Daze (L)
Steve Dubinsky (C)
Chad Kilger (C)
Sergei Krivokrasov (R)
Ethan Moreau (L)
Bob Probert (L)
Jeff Shantz (C)
Alexei Zhamnov (C)
Chris Chelios (D)
Cam Russell (D)
Gary Suter (D)
Michal Sykora (D)
Eric Weinrich (D)
Jeff Hackett (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Greg Johnson (C)
David Ling (R)
Reid Simpson (L)
Roger Johansson (D)
Alain Nasreddine (D)
Jeff Ricciardi (D)
Trent Yawney (D)
Marc Lamothe (G)
Chris Terreri (G)
Andrei Trefilov (G)

Colorado
PROTECTED LIST
Rene Corbet (L)
Adam Deadmarsh (R)
Shean Donovan (R)
Peter Forsberg (C)
Keith Jones (R)
Valeri Kamensky (L)
Eric Lacroix (L)
Claude Lemieux (R)
Joe Sakic (C)
Stephane Yelle (C)
Adam Foote (D)
Jon Klemm (D)
Sylvain Lefebvre (D)
Aaron Miller (D)
Sandis Ozolinsh (D)
Patrick Roy (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Tom Fitzgerald (R)
Milan Hejduk * (R)
Mikael Johansson * (C)
Jari Kurri (L)
Martin Lamarche (L)
Francois Leroux (L)
Christian Matte (R)
Jeff Odgers (R)
Warren Rychel (L)
Alexei Gusarov (D)
Uwe Krupp (D)
Pascal Trepanier (D)
Craig Billington (G)
Petr Franek (G)
Dallas
PROTECTED LIST
Bob Bassen (C)
Mike Keane (R)
Jamie Langenbrunner (L)
Jere Lehtinen (R)
Grant Marshall (R)
Mike Modano (C)
Joe Nieuwendyk (C)
Brian Skrudland (C)
Pat Verbeek (R)
Shawn Chambers (D)
Sergey Gusev (D)
Derian Hatcher (D)
Richard Matvichuk (D)
Darryl Sydor (D)
Sergei Zubov (D)
Ed Belfour (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Greg Adams (L)
Guy Carbonneau (C)
Patrick Cote (L)
Peter Douris (R)
Benoit Hogue (L)
Mike Kennedy (R)
Jeffrey Mitchell (C)
Dave Reid (L)
Kevin Sawyer (L)
Chris Tancill (L)
Dan Keczmer (D)
Craig Ludwig (D)
Craig Muni (D)
Evgeny Petrochinin * (D)
Manny Fernandez (G)
Jordan Willis (G)

Detroit
PROTECTED LIST
Mathieu Dandenault (R)
Kris Draper (C)
Sergei Fedorov (C)
Vyacheslav Kozlov (L)
Martin Lapointe (R)
Igor Larionov (C)
Kirk Maltby (L)
Darren McCarty (R)
Brendan Shanahan (L)
Steve Yzerman (C)
Anders Eriksson (D)
Yan Golubovsky (D)
Nicklas Lidstrom (D)
Larry Murphy (D)
Aaron Ward (D)
Chris Osgood (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Pavel Agarkov * (R)
Doug Brown (R)
Sylvain Cloutier (C)
Brent Gilchrist (L)
Mike Knuble (R)
Joe Kocur (R)
Toivo Suursoo* (R)
Viacheslav Fetisov (D)
Jamie Macoun (D)
Dmitri Mironov (D)
Bob Rouse (D)
Kevin Hodson (G)
Norm Maracle (G)
Edmonton
PROTECTED LIST
Josef Beranek (L)
Kelly Buchberger (R)
Bill Guerin (R)
Mats Lindgren (C)
Todd Marchant (L)
Dean McAmmond (L)
Rem Murray (L)
Ryan Smyth (L)
Doug Weight (C)
Valeri Zelepukin (L)
Drake Berehowsky (D)
Greg de Vries (D)
Roman Hamrlik (D)
Boris Mironov (D)
Reijo Ruotsalainen (D)
Eric Fichaud (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Dennis Bonvie (R)
Jozef Cierny (L)
Zdeno Ciger (L)
Doug Friedman (L)
Bill Huard (L)
Ralph Intranuovo (C)
Andrei Kovalenko (L)
Barrie Moore (L)
Kevin Paden (C)
Martin Reichel * (R)
Keijo Sailynoja * (R)
Jussi Tarvainen * (C)
Adam Bennett (D)
Ladislav Benysek (D)
Jason Bowen (D)
Kevin Lowe (D)
Frantisek Musil (D)
Sami Nuutinen * (D)
Alexander Zhurik (D)
Bob Essensa (G)
Curtis Joseph (G)
J-F Labbe (G)
Steve Passmore (G)

Florida
PROTECTED LIST
Dino Ciccarelli (R)
Radek Dvorak (R)
Viktor Kozlov (C)
Bill Lindsay (L)
Scott Mellanby (R)
David Nemirovsky (R)
Rob Niedermayer (C)
Steve Washburn (C)
Chris Wells (C)
Ray Whitney (L)
Ed Jovanovski (D)
Paul Laus (D)
Gord Murphy (D)
Robert Svehla (D)
Rhett Warrener (D)
Kevin Weekes (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Ashley Buckberger (R)
Chad Cabana (L)
Dave Gagner (C)
Johan Garpenlov (L)
Kirk Muller (L)
Chris Armstrong (D)
Terry Carkner (D)
Trevor Doyle (D)
Dallas Eakins (D)
Jeff Norton (D)
Wes Swinson (D)
Todd MacDonald (G)
Kirk McLean (G)
John Vanbiesbrouck (G)
Los Angeles
PROTECTED LIST
Matt Johnson (L)
Ian Laperriere (C)
Glen Murray (R)
Yanic Perreault (C)
Luc Robitaille (L)
Jozef Stumpel (C)
Vladimir Tsyplakov (L)
Aki Berg (D)
Rob Blake (D)
Mattias Norstrom (D)
Sean O'Donnell (D)
Stephane Fiset (G)
Jamie Storr (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Dan Bylsma (L)
Russ Courtnall (R)
Ray Ferraro (C)
Craig Johnson (L)
Nathan Lafayette (C)
Sandy Moger (R)
Jeff Shevalier (L)
Jukka Tiilikainen * (L)
Tomas Vlasak * (C)
Roman Vopat (C)
Magnus Wernblom * (R)
Vitali Yachmenev (R)
Ruslan Batyrshin (D)
Doug Bodger (D)
Philippe Boucher (D)
Garry Galley (D)
Jere Karalahti * (D)
Jaroslav Modry (D)
Martin Strebak * (D)
Kimmo Timonen * (D)
Mark Visheau (D)
Jan Vopat (D)
Doug Zmolek (D)
Frederic Chabot (G)

Montreal
PROTECTED LIST
Benoit Brunet (L)
Shayne Corson (L)
Vincent Damphousse (C)
Saku Koivu (C)
Mark Recchi (R)
Martin Rucinsky (L)
Brian Savage (L)
Turner Stevenson (R)
Scott Thornton (C)
Patrice Brisebois (D)
Vladimir Malakhov (D)
Dave Manson (D)
Stephane Quintal (D)
Craig Rivet (D)
Igor Ulanov (D)
Jocelyn Thibault (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Sebastien Bordeleau (C)
Marc Bureau (C)
Martin Gendron (R)
Jonas Hoglund (L)
Arto Kuki * (C)
Oleg Petrov (R)
Patrick Poulin (L)
Peter Strom * (L)
Mick Vukota (R)
Brad Brown (D)
Steve Cheredaryk (D)
Brett Clark (D)
Dion Darling (D)
Peter Popovic (D)
Zarley Zalapski (D)
Andy Moog (G)
Tomas Vokoun (G)

New Jersey
PROTECTED LIST
Jason Arnott (C)
Sergei Brylin (C)
Patrik Elias (L)
Bobby Holik (C)
Randy McKay (R)
Krzysztof Oliwa (L)
Denis Pederson (C)
Brian Rolston (L)
Vadim Sharifijanov (R)
Petr Sykora (C)
Brad Bombardir (D)
Ken Daneyko (D)
Scott Niedermayer (D)
Lyle Odelein (D)
Scott Stevens (D)
Martin Brodeur (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Dave Andreychuk (L)
Eric Bertrand (L)
Steve Brule (C)
Bob Carpenter (C)
Scott Daniels (L)
Doug Gilmour (C)
Bobby House (R)
Fredrik Lindquist * (C)
Steve Thomas (R)
Dody Wood (C)
Nikolai Zavarukhin * (L)
Kevin Dean (D)
Geordie Kinnear (D)
Vlastimil Kroupa (D)
Mike Dunham (G)
Rich Shulmistra (G)
Peter Sidorkiewicz (G)

NY Islanders
PROTECTED LIST
Ken Belanger (L)
Mariusz Czerkawski (R)
Jason Dawe (R)
Trevor Linden (C)
Sergei Nemchinov (C)
Gino Odjick (L)
Zigmund Palffy (R)
Robert Reichel (C)
Joe Sacco (R)
Bryan Smolinski (C)
Bryan Berard (D)
Zdeno Chara (D)
Kenny Jonsson (D)
Scott Lachance (D)
Rich Pilon (D)
Tommy Salo (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Tom Chorske (L)
Vladimir Grachev * (R)
Pavel Gross * (L)
Peter Hogardh * (C)
Mike Hough (L)
Dane Jackson (R)
Tomas Klimt * (C)
Claude Lapointe (C)
Mark Lawrence (R)
Kip Miller (C)
Dan Plante (R)
J.J. Daigneault (D)
Daniel Johansson * (D)
Chris Luongo (D)
Dick Tarnstrom * (D)
Dennis Vaske (D)
Wade Flaherty (G)
Mark McArthur (G)

NY Rangers
PROTECTED LIST
Ken Gernander (C)
Adam Graves (L)
Wayne Gretzky (C)
Todd Harvey (R)
Alexei Kovalev (R)
Pat LaFontaine (C)
Darren Langdon (L)
Kevin Stevens (L)
Niklas Sundstrom (R)
Jeff Beukeboom (D)
Eric Cairns (D)
Maxim Galanov (D)
Alexander Karpovtsev (D)
Brian Leetch (D)
Ulf Samuelsson (D)
Robb Stauber (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Bill Berg (L)
Shane Churla (R)
Bob Errey (L)
Sergei Kondrashkin * (L)
Radoslav Kropac * (R)
Alexei Lazarenko * (R)
Yuri Litvinov * (C)
Pierre Sevigny (L)
Tim Sweeney (L)
Rudolf Vercik * (L)
Sylvain Blouin (D)
Rich Brennan (D)
Bruce Driver (D)
Jeff Finley (D)
Kim Johnsson * (D)
Alexander Korobolin * (D)
Doug Lidster (D)
Geoff Smith (D)
Lee Sorochan (D)
Brent Thompson (D)
Jeff Heil (G)
Mike Richter (G)
Vitali Yeremeyev * (G)

Ottawa
PROTECTED LIST
Daniel Alfredsson (R)
Radek Bonk (C)
Phil Crowe (R)
Bruce Gardiner (C)
Shawn McEachern (L)
Chris Murray (R)
Vaclav Prospal (C)
Shaun Van Allen (C)
Alexei Yashin (C)
Radim Bicanek (D)
Igor Kravchuk (D)
Janne Laukkanen (D)
Stan Neckar (D)
Lance Pitlick (D)
Jason York (D)
Damian Rhodes (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Derek Armstrong (C)
Clayton Beddoes (C)
Randy Cunneyworth (L)
Pat Falloon (R)
Marc Labelle (L)
Denny Lambert (L)
Mike Prokopec (R)
Andy Schneider (L)
Dennis Vial (L)
Jason Zent (L)
Sergei Zholtok (C)
Per Gustafsson (D)
Justin Hocking (D)
Patrick Traverse (D)
Frederic Cassivi (G)
Jaroslav Miklenda * (G)
Ron Tugnutt (G)

Philadelphia
PROTECTED LIST
Rod Brind'Amour (L)
Alexandre Daigle (R)
Chris Gratton (C)
Trent Klatt (R)
John LeClair (L)
Eric Lindros (C)
Mike Maneluk (L)
Shjon Podein (L)
Mike Sillinger (C)
Dave Babych (D)
Eric Desjardins (D)
Jeff Lank (D)
Luke Richardson (D)
Petr Svoboda (D)
Chris Therien (D)
Ron Hextall (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Bruce Coles (L)
Craig Darby (C)
John Druce (R)
Paul Healey (R)
Patrik Juhlin (R)
Dan Kordic (L)
Daniel Lacroix (C)
Jan Lipiansky * (L)
Shawn McCosh (C)
Jim Montgomery (C)
Brantt Myhres (R)
Joel Otto (C)
Artem Anisimov * (D)
Frank Bialowas (D)
Paul Coffey (D)
Chris Joseph (D)
Kjell Samuelsson (D)
Jeffrey Staples (D)
John Stevens (D)
Roman Zolotov * (D)
Sean Burke (G)
Neil Little (G)
Dominic Roussel (G)

Phoenix
PROTECTED LIST
Bob Corkum (C)
Jim Cummins (R)
Shane Doan (R)
Dallas Drake (R)
J.F. Jomphe (R)
Jeremy Roenick (C)
Cliff Ronning (C)
Keith Tkachuk (L)
Rick Tocchet (R)
Keith Carney (D)
Gerald Diduck (D)
Jason Doig (D)
Teppo Numminen (D)
Deron Quint (D)
Oleg Tverdovsky (D)
Nikolai Khabibulin (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Mika Alatalo * (L)
Alexei Budayev (R)
Louie Debrusk (L)
Yevgeny Garanin * (C)
Mike Gartner (R)
Rhett Gordon (R)
Tavis Hansen (C)
Mark Janssens (C)
Darin Kimble (R)
Jocelyn Lemieux (R)
Scott Levins (R)
Rob Murray (C)
Vladimir Potapov * (L)
Rauli Raitanen * (L)
Darrin Shannon (L)
Mike Stapleton (C)
Murray Baron (D)
Jim Johnson (D)
Norm Maciver (D)
Roger Ohman (D)
Michel Petit (D)
John Slaney (D)
Ilja Stashenkov * (D)
Scott Langkow (G)
Henrik Smangs * (G)
Jimmy Waite (G)
Darcy Wakaluk (G)

Pittsburgh
PROTECTED LIST
Stu Barnes (C)
Ron Francis (C)
Jaromir Jagr (R)
Robert Lang (C)
Mario Lemieux (C)
Ian Moran (R)
Petr Nedved (C)
Martin Straka (C)
German Titov (L)
Tyler Wright (C)
Kevin Hatcher (D)
Darius Kasparaitis (D)
Jiri Slegr (D)
Chris Tamer (D)
Brad Werenka (D)
Tom Barrasso (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Jan Alinc * (L)
Serge Aubin (C)
Rob Brown (R)
Joe Dziedzic (L)
Alex Hicks (L)
Todd Hlushko (L)
Tony Hrkac (C)
Andreas Johansson (C)
Mikhail Kazakevich * (C)
Jiri Kucera * (R)
Valentin Morozov * (C)
Ed Olczyk (L)
Domenic Pittis (C)
Sean Pronger (C)
Ryan Savoia (C)
Alek Stojanov (R)
Mika Valila * (C)
Garry Valk (L)
Boris Zalenko * (L)
Jonas Andersson-Junkka * (D)
Stefan Bergqvist (D)
Bobby Dollas (D)
Hans Jonsson * (D)
Alexei Krivchenkov (D)
Fredrik Olausson (D)
Neil Wilkinson (D)
J-Sebastien Aubin (G)

St. Louis
PROTECTED LIST
Jim Campbell (R)
Kelly Chase (R)
Craig Conroy (C)
Pavol Demitra (L)
Scott Pellerin (L)
Pascal Rheaume (L)
Pierre Turgeon (C)
Tony Twist (L)
Terry Yake (R)
Marc Bergevin (D)
Al MacInnis (D)
Chris McAlpine (D)
Rudy Poeschek (D)
Chris Pronger (D)
Jamie Rivers (D)
Grant Fuhr (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Blair Atcheynum (R)
Geoff Courtnall (L)
Mike Eastwood (C)
Brett Hull (R)
Chris Kenady (R)
Robert Petrovicky (C)
Michel Picard (L)
Shayne Toporowski (R)
Darren Turcotte (C)
Steve Duchesne (D)
Rory Fitzpatrick (D)
Edvin Frylen * (D)
Todd Gill (D)
Alexander Godynyuk (D)
Yuri Gunko * (D)
Terry Hollinger (D)
Libor Prochazka * (D)
Terry Virtue (D)
Jamie McLennan (G)

San Jose
PROTECTED LIST
Shawn Burr (L)
Jeff Friesen (L)
John MacLean (R)
Stephane Matteau (L)
Joe Murphy (R)
Owen Nolan (R)
Mike Ricci (C)
Bill Houlder (D)
Bryan Marchment (D)
Marcus Ragnarsson (D)
Mike Rathje (D)
Steve Shields (G)
Mike Vernon (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Niklas Andersson (L)
Jan Caloun (R)
Murray Craven (C)
Todd Ewen (R)
Anatoli Filatov * (R)
Tony Granato (L)
Dave Lowry (L)
Bernie Nicholls (C)
Jarrod Skalde (C)
Ron Sutter (C)
Markus Thuresson * (C)
Alexei Yegorov (R)
Peter Allen (D)
Al Iafrate (D)
Marty McSorley (D)
Angel Nikolov * (D)
Fredrik Oduya (D)
David Shaw (D)
Ken Sutton (D)
Jason Widmer (D)
Jonas Forsberg * (G)
Kelly Hrudey (G)
Jason Muzzatti (G)

Tampa Bay
PROTECTED LIST
Mikael Andersson (R)
Craig Janney (C)
Sandy McCarthy (R)
Andrei Nazarov (R)
Brent Peterson (L)
Mikael Renberg (R)
Stephane Richer (L)
Alexander Selivanov (R)
Darcy Tucker (C)
Rob Zamuner (L)
Enrico Ciccone (D)
Cory Cross (D)
Jassen Cullimore (D)
Karl Dykhuis (D)
David Wilkie (D)
Bill Ranford (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Jason Bonsignore (C)
Brian Bradley (C)
Paul Brousseau (R)
Jody Hull (R)
Dimitri Klevakin * (L)
Troy Mallette (L)
Vladimir Vujtek (L)
Paul Ysebaert (L)
Ryan Brown (D)
Viktor Ignatiev (D)
Mathieu Raby (D)
Yves Racine (D)
Mark Fitzpatrick (G)
Daren Puppa (G)
Corey Schwab (G)
Derek Wilkinson (G)

Toronto
PROTECTED LIST
Lonny Bohonos (R)
Nathan Dempsey (L)
Tie Domi (R)
Darby Hendrickson (C)
Kris King (L)
Igor Korolev (C)
Steve Sullivan (C)
Mats Sundin (C)
Todd Warriner (L)
David Cooper (D)
Sylvain Cote (D)
Mathieu Schneider (D)
Jason Smith (D)
Yannick Tremblay (D)
Dimitri Yushkevich (D)
Felix Potvin (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Jamie Baker (C)
Wendel Clark (L)
Mikael Hakansson * (C)
Derek King (L)
Nick Kypreos (L)
Zdenek Nedved (R)
Scott Pearson (L)
Matt Martin (D)
Tommi Rajamaki * (D)
Greg Smyth (D)
Craig Wolanin (D)
Rob Zettler (D)
Glenn Healy (G)

Vancouver
PROTECTED LIST
Todd Bertuzzi (L)
Donald Brashear (L)
Pavel Bure (R)
Brad May (L)
Mark Messier (C)
Alexander Mogilny (R)
Markus Naslund (L)
Dave Scatchard (C)
Peter Zezel (C)
Bret Hedican (D)
Jamie Huscroft (D)
Jyrki Lumme (D)
Chris McAllister (D)
Bryan McCabe (D)
Jason Strudwick (D)
Corey Hirsch (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Hakan Ahlund * (R)
Jevgeni Babariko * (C)
Brandon Convery (C)
Larry Courville (L)
Roger Hansson * (L)
Tyson Nash (L)
Steffan Nilsson * (R)
Brian Noonan (R)
David Roberts (L)
Steve Staios (R)
Scott Walker (R)
Roger Akerstrom * (D)
Adrian Aucoin (D)
Karri Kivi * (D)
Dana Murzyn (D)
Bert Robertsson (D)
Mark Wotton (D)
Arturs Irbe (G)
Tim Keyes (G)
Garth Snow (G)

Washington
PROTECTED LIST
Craig Berube (L)
Peter Bondra (R)
Joe Juneau (C)
Steve Konowalchuk (L)
Andrei Nikolishin (C)
Adam Oates (C)
Michal Pivonka (C)
Chris Simon (L)
Richard Zednik (L)
Sergei Gonchar (D)
Calle Johansson (D)
Ken Klee (D)
Joe Reekie (D)
Mark Tinordi (D)
Brendan Witt (D)
Olaf Kolzig (G)

AVAILABLE LIST
Brian Bellows (L)
Andrew Brunette (L)
Mike Eagles (L)
Dale Hunter (C)
Kevin Kaminski (C)
Todd Krygier (L)
Mark Major (L)
Kelly Miller (L)
Jeff Nelson (C)
Pat Peake (C)
Esa Tikkanen (L)
Jeff Toms (L)
Stefan Ustorf (L)
Patrick Boileau (D)
Jeff Brown (D)
Phil Housley (D)
Stewart Malgunas (D)
Stephane Beauregard (G)
Martin Brochu (G)

Old
01-10-2005, 04:59 PM
dulzhok

Missing out on Hejduk is probably the biggest blemish on Poile's record with the Predators. It wasn't a no brainer, but there was very good evidence that Hejduk had skills. He was ripping up the Czech league and was even on the '98 gold medal winning Czech team with NHLers. Poile has got to be kicking himself for this one.

The biggest thing that has hurt the Predators in the expansion is not losing enough. We were bad in the first 5 years, but we were always just good enough to miss out on drafting the true franchise players. In the meantime, Atlanta was losing a little bit more making no-brainer draft decisions like Heatley, Kovalchuk, and Lehtonen.

Old
01-10-2005, 05:18 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
Missing out on Hejduk is probably the biggest blemish on Poile's record with the Predators. It wasn't a no brainer, but there was very good evidence that Hejduk had skills. He was ripping up the Czech league and was even on the '98 gold medal winning Czech team with NHLers. Poile has got to be kicking himself for this one.

The biggest thing that has hurt the Predators in the expansion is not losing enough. We were bad in the first 5 years, but we were always just good enough to miss out on drafting the true franchise players. In the meantime, Atlanta was losing a little bit more making no-brainer draft decisions like Heatley, Kovalchuk, and Lehtonen.

we lack the dynamo prospect like kovalchuk, but i like our team top to bottom much better than theirs or columbus's for that matter. Our later round drafting has been MUCH better than theirs. Both teams have firepower to spare, but no defense. Atlanta made a HUGE mistake in Valabik, and i'm not impressed with Coburn, either. Klesla is looking more and more like a bust as well for Columbus. Meanwhile, we've got a future blueline that's the envy of every team in the league and a couple of dynamic snipers coming up that...while no Kovalchuk or Zherdev...can get the job done. It feels more and more like we went the Ottawa route...while Atlanta and Columbus are pissing away the Florida and Atlanta route, moreso Atlanta than Columbus.

Old
01-10-2005, 11:45 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
we lack the dynamo prospect like kovalchuk, but i like our team top to bottom much better than theirs or columbus's for that matter. Our later round drafting has been MUCH better than theirs. Both teams have firepower to spare, but no defense. Atlanta made a HUGE mistake in Valabik, and i'm not impressed with Coburn, either. Klesla is looking more and more like a bust as well for Columbus. Meanwhile, we've got a future blueline that's the envy of every team in the league and a couple of dynamic snipers coming up that...while no Kovalchuk or Zherdev...can get the job done. It feels more and more like we went the Ottawa route...while Atlanta and Columbus are pissing away the Florida and Atlanta route, moreso Atlanta than Columbus.
I agree, Poile and scouts (probably more the scouts than Poile) have done well in non-1st round selections. Better than ATL or CBJ.

Poile also grabbed some nice stuff in the expansion (Walker, Vokoun, Timonen, with Kimmo being a side deal). But to be fair, we did have first dibs at these guys. In that regard, we had an advantage over ATL in the expansion draft.

While I too like our lineup from top to bottom better than ATL or CBJ, I sure as heck wouldn't mind having Heatley over Hartnell or Nash over Upshall.

If I was GM, I wouldn't have necessarily lost intentionally the first few years, but I would have filled up our roster with projects. Whereas guys like Ronning, Johnson, Kjellberg, Houlder, etc were getting a ton of icetime, I would've had a rotating door of projects, hoping to land a St.Louis or Stillman or Steve Sullivan for that matter (Sullivan was a wavier wire pick up in '99). We probably would've lost more the first few years, giving us better draft position, but we also may have uncovered a gem or two in the process.

To an extent we did that, but we always gave the ball to mediocre veterans when it mattered. That's why we were always just good enough not to get the best draft picks.

Old
01-11-2005, 07:41 AM
Pred303

personally i feel poile did a marvelous job balancing putting a competitive team on the ice against building for the future...it's one thing to say "hey we should have lost more and we'd be in better position now" in hindsight...but where was that idea in season three when we were actually fighting for that 8th round spot as late as February?.....poile and management had so many things to consider...1)they had to acquire young future players and picks true..2)they had to build a fan base from nothing,and the only way to do this was to be semi competitive from day one-knowing the novelty of hockey would wear thin in and of itself by year 3 if they weren't competitive...3)those "mediocre vets" were an absolute critical thing in teaching the youngsters 'how' to play nhl hockey in my mind-letting forcing younsters to totally carry a losing load like they do in so many other new teams...ruining many of them forever....hard to argue with the development of so many young starters we still have...

management did exactly what they set out to do with the 5 year plan in my opinion(ok it was in 6 years but so what)...we are much deeper than the two other clubs thrown out in this discussion-ATL and CLB....i also like poile's plan of building from the baseline-i.e. defense first versus the offense first concept by most startup organizations...i truely believe this will seperate us from other 4-5 year franchises for years to come

Old
01-11-2005, 05:41 PM
dulzhok

RE: THE NEED TO BE COMPETITIVE

We aren't talking about the difference between night and day here. We are talking about losing a couple of more games. For example, in 2002, we were one loss away from picking at the #4 spot, which would've been Pitkanen. I doubt a few more losses would have had an impact on establishing our fan base. Also, judging by our attendance in 2003, we weren't icing a team that was competitive enough to establish a strong fan base anyway.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't have acquired Ronning, Houlder, Johnson, etc. They did provide leadership for the younger players. But I might not have leaned on them as heavily as Trotz did.

Also, I'm not saying he should've given icetime to 18 year olds. I would've given time to "project players" that had already spent time in the NHL, but were getting shafted by their clubs. To an extent, we did this (i.e. WALKER), but I would've done more of it. Just some ideas.

Last edited by dulzhok: 01-11-2005 at 05:46 PM.
Closed Thread