HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(#54): 1/27/2010 Carolina Hurricanes @ New York Rangers 7:00pm MSG (HD)

Old
01-27-2010, 10:42 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
For the first time in a while, i really watched the game tonight, watched play away from the puck, dissected plays and really focused on several individuals. Here's what i came up with.

1) Del Zotto needs to be sent to Hartford ASAP. He has no business being cocky and nonchalant with the puck. It's a good thing when you're winning, but he acts like he owns the ice and makes terrible decisions with the puck. It gets overlooked because of his one good breakout pass and one or two good rushes.The honeymoon is over. he needs to work on his game.

2) Girardi has no will left to try and do anything that includes effort and sacrifice. Very, very gun-shy in so many areas. He's literally the biggest liability we have on defense right now, which says a lot because Gilroy and DZ have been acting and playing like rookies.

3) Higgins is so lazy off the puck. He only seems to care whe the puck is on his stick. And forget about backchecking. Whatever speed he had at Yale is gone. Mom's home cooking has made him lazier than he was in Montreal.

4) Redden is fried. Done. Well done. No confidence with the puck whatsoever. His game used to center around sharp passes up ice and joining the rush for bombs from 40 feet. I really cant fault torts for his benching. A veteran like Redden should know when and where to step up in the neutral zone. The fact that he did it on the shift following a key goal shows he is either really stupid or really reckless or both. I think its the latter.

5) Kotlalik had a good game but he cant play on the PP anymore unless it's on the wing. Just because he has a bomb, it doesnt mean he plays the point. I think he can be uselfull but every coach in the NHL now knows to press the Ranger point men, who have no confidecne with the puck whatsoever.

6) Torts -- I really cant blame him, but the team has quit on him. It's so obvious. It's a shame because I think he's the right guy for our young guys' development, but when a coach loses the team, it's time for major changes.

This reminds me of the Giants and Coughlin in 2006. However, the team had Strahan to act as the super buffer. Sadly, this team has no Strahan or Jeter to act as a buffer.

This assessment is nothing new. We all watch the same games. I'm just trying to figure out how and when it all went bad.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 10:43 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Me too! But they were XL and had a huge advertisement on the back so i left them there
White out is your friend.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 10:45 PM
OrbitalDynamics
Ants? Solid Plan.

vCash: 50
Last I heard was Cally score to make it 2-1.Couldn't get a signal in the restaurant so I didn't know the final score in this debacle until I got out.

Read the entire thread and I reiterate my hope that Sather doesn't do something incredibly foolish like buy at the deadline.

They don't need Souray at any price.They need to accept this season is lost,move what pieces they can and seriously evaluate where they want to be and how they plan to go about getting there.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Nick00

Well at least we can take away one positive thing from tonight's game:

Subway is still offering $5 foot longs.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:03 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
For the first time in a while, i really watched the game tonight, watched play away from the puck, dissected plays and really focused on several individuals. Here's what i came up with.

1) Del Zotto needs to be sent to Hartford ASAP. He has no business being cocky and nonchalant with the puck. It's a good thing when you're winning, but he acts like he owns the ice and makes terrible decisions with the puck. It gets overlooked because of his one good breakout pass and one or two good rushes.The honeymoon is over. he needs to work on his game.

2) Girardi has no will left to try and do anything that includes effort and sacrifice. Very, very gun-shy in so many areas. He's literally the biggest liability we have on defense right now, which says a lot because Gilroy and DZ have been acting and playing like rookies.

3) Higgins is so lazy off the puck. He only seems to care whe the puck is on his stick. And forget about backchecking. Whatever speed he had at Yale is gone. Mom's home cooking has made him lazier than he was in Montreal.

4) Redden is fried. Done. Well done. No confidence with the puck whatsoever. His game used to center around sharp passes up ice and joining the rush for bombs from 40 feet. I really cant fault torts for his benching. A veteran like Redden should know when and where to step up in the neutral zone. The fact that he did it on the shift following a key goal shows he is either really stupid or really reckless or both. I think its the latter.

5) Kotlalik had a good game but he cant play on the PP anymore unless it's on the wing. Just because he has a bomb, it doesnt mean he plays the point. I think he can be uselfull but every coach in the NHL now knows to press the Ranger point men, who have no confidecne with the puck whatsoever.

6) Torts -- I really cant blame him, but the team has quit on him. It's so obvious. It's a shame because I think he's the right guy for our young guys' development, but when a coach loses the team, it's time for major changes.

This reminds me of the Giants and Coughlin in 2006. However, the team had Strahan to act as the super buffer. Sadly, this team has no Strahan or Jeter to act as a buffer.

This assessment is nothing new. We all watch the same games. I'm just trying to figure out how and when it all went bad.
Our biggest problem is our veteran players:

Redden - he's a dope. Tries, but not nearly hard enough. Soft, no leadership qualities. Confidence issues

Drury - soft, not outspoken, underachieving

Rozsival - Doesn't bring any leadership. Hasn't been bad can be just as lazy as others at times

Brashear - Nothing needs to be said

Prospal - Good teammate, but I doubt he's a leader of any kind. He probably wouldn't have bounced around a million teams if he was anything special in the locker room

Gaborik - Good, but can't do it all himself. Not really a veteran

That's basically it. First of all, there are way too few veteran's on this team to begin with. Secondly, the one's we do have are mostly all overpaid underachievers. Most of our core young players are playing alright, but that's not enough... especially since none of them are good enough to carry the team except for maybe the goalie at times.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Choice

Quote:
I def agree with this. He is more of a liability the past couple games than Redden, Rozsi, Gil or DZ He is playing the worst hockey of his Ranger career. What's up with this guy? Maybe no confidence.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:20 PM
94now

I have to agree with Torts, the team played very well. We lost because Ward stood on his head, while Lundqvist was worse than average, close to Nov level.

I do not blame Lundqvist for the loss as I often do. I think he is under the same stress the entire team is due to Kotalik situation, so I feel for the guy, because his work is more then any other is sensitive to external distractions.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:24 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I have to agree with Torts, the team played very well. We lost because Ward stood on his head, while Lundqvist was worse than average, close to Nov level.

I do not blame Lundqvist for the loss as I often do. I think he is under the same stress the entire team is due to Kotalik situation, so I feel for the guy, because his work is more then any other is sensitive to external distractions.
Oh really?

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Avery316
guilty as charged

just got in from that one, wow am I glad those tickets were a Christmas gift, just watching the replay does anyone feel Avery really held back what he really wanted to say in the interview in btw the 1st and 2nd?

I heard them say and now here's Al with sean avery and thought all hell was gonna unfold

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:30 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Our biggest problem is our veteran players:

Redden - he's a dope. Tries, but not nearly hard enough. Soft, no leadership qualities. Confidence issues

Drury - soft, not outspoken, underachieving

Rozsival - Doesn't bring any leadership. Hasn't been bad can be just as lazy as others at times

Brashear - Nothing needs to be said

Prospal - Good teammate, but I doubt he's a leader of any kind. He probably wouldn't have bounced around a million teams if he was anything special in the locker room

Gaborik - Good, but can't do it all himself. Not really a veteran
Yes.
Think of the value that Gaborik will provide once most of the guys you listed ahead of him in your list are gone. I like Prospal, and think he could really take off in the right situation, but yes, he is not critical. I still would not mind seeing him around.

Getting rid of these awful, awful players like Redden and Rozsival. I truly am disgusted by both of them and have been forever.
If there is a will, there will be a way, and these two will be gone.

If things keep going well down on the farm, some pretty decent players are going to fill in the holes.

Continuous improvement. Small steps, big steps. As long as it is happening.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:32 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

"The goalies are too good." - Chris Drury

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...stgame_wrapup/

I know its taken out of context, but this has got to be one of the best Drury quotes ever.

And its DEFINITELY not ruining his weekend.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:35 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I love how whenever the word "talent" is brought up in the Torts pressers MSG cuts off the interview in the postgame.

Old
01-27-2010, 11:45 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:55 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
"The goalies are too good." - Chris Drury

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...stgame_wrapup/

I know its taken out of context, but this has got to be one of the best Drury quotes ever.

And its DEFINITELY not ruining his weekend.
It most definitely is ruining his weekend. The look he had in the locker room post-game was beyond anger. He doesn't air his laundry with the media, but that guy is beyond pissed at this situation.

Here's what I thought was the best quote he's ever given as a Ranger, from tonight:

Quote:
"We have a lot of negative stuff coming down on this team right now. During the game, after the game, before the game, I think we have to do the best we can to stay together. We got into this little four game skid together and we're going to get out of it together."

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Nick00

They keep mentioning negative things that are going on outside of the rink....
Anyone have an idea what that could be?

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:02 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
That marc staal can shoot better than half the team?

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:05 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RothmanHockey View Post
It most definitely is ruining his weekend. The look he had in the locker room post-game was beyond anger. He doesn't air his laundry with the media, but that guy is beyond pissed at this situation.

Here's what I thought was the best quote he's ever given as a Ranger, from tonight:
If hes talking about the fans, i dont know what else to say.

The Rangers havent exactly been a good team this year. What do you expect?

Old
01-28-2010, 12:10 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
IMO part of it is probably just mounting frustrations with how the teams playing. This team doesn't strike me as a team that doesn't like each other, they just seem like they'd rather be doing something other than being around their teammates. Kinda weird.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:14 AM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

vCash: 873
This team is horrendous. It's a struggle to watch lately...

Sad part is, I don't see any immediate light at the end of the tunnel. Lord knows when our streak will end... and it'll probably be just Lundqvist stealing us a game we don't deserve to win.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:16 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
a few things (not in any order)

1)the brooks feud hes having

2)the fans booing the team

3)Redden getting benched and semi-feuding with torts

4)"fire sather!"

5)overpaid vets.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:38 AM
RothmanHockey

Quote:
They were all talking about how good it's going to be to get out of New York for a week, get three games far, far away. They read the papers, they hear the comments, they hear the whispers.

These guys don't live in a vacuum, and much to fans surprise, they are not robots. They hear the boos, they hear the catcalls, they hear the sarcastic cheers.

Old
01-28-2010, 12:54 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RothmanHockey View Post
They were all talking about how good it's going to be to get out of New York for a week, get three games far, far away. They read the papers, they hear the comments, they hear the whispers.

These guys don't live in a vacuum, and much to fans surprise, they are not robots. They hear the boos, they hear the catcalls, they hear the sarcastic cheers.
I have been to a few games this season, and if the team doesn't want a negative reaction from the fans, perhaps they shouldn't have such a lackluster start out of the gate. It's really hard for the fans to be into the game when they are already playing like crap 2 minutes into the first period.

The fans feed off of the team's energy, so if they play with little effort, they aren't going to be rewarded with cheers. I sincerely hope the players aren't trying to pin their woes on the Garden crowd because these fans are spending a lot of money to support the team. If some of the players can't handle playing in NY then they should GTFO and demand a trade.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:58 AM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:

I'm pretty sure at this point he can't be

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:06 AM
RothmanHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I have been to a few games this season, and if the team doesn't want a negative reaction from the fans, perhaps they shouldn't have such a lackluster start out of the gate. It's really hard for the fans to be into the game when they are already playing like crap 2 minutes into the first period.

The fans feed off of the team's energy, so if they play with little effort, they aren't going to be rewarded with cheers. I sincerely hope the players aren't trying to pin their woes on the Garden crowd because these fans are spending a lot of money to support the team. If some of the players can't handle playing in NY then they should GTFO and demand a trade.
I absolutely agree with you. I don't think they're pinning their woes on it, but I do think it wears and weighs on them. How can it not?

Same as the fact that you're happy when you win, you're just miserable when you lose. That's just how it is, especially in a hotbed like NY, Boston, Montreal, Toronto, etc.

Old
01-28-2010, 01:19 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Game had nothing to do with goaltending. Ward was good, but not great. Lundqvist actually made some big saves to keep his team somewhat in it, but all hell eventually broke loose.

This team has the capability's of making any goaltender look good. That's when you know somethings not functioning properly.

1 Goal for our team tonight. 1. Lundqvist has to post a shutdown if we want to win in regulation. His play is completely irrelevant since we fail at pretty much every aspect you can think of, aside from our PK.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote