HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Sather argument thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2010, 02:15 AM
Chimp

vCash: 500
Fire Sather argument thread

I started this thread to try to help the rallyers in their work to make the rally worthile and thought out. This is a thread to help create good arguments why Sather should be fired, as well as a good defense for if there are any arguments for why he should not be fired.

I start this thread with a preliminary speech. Some part of it is from Ola's post in the Sather thread (I don't think you mind, Ola), the rest is formed by me. The speech is up for slaughter, to better it, make it clearer and perhaps shorter, if it is to be released to the media. Someone who is better at debating than me may steal some of its contents and make an entirely new one, I don't care.

May we all create something good here, so we can help eachother make this franchise a better one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp
Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for attending. This group of people have two things in common. We are all dedicated hockey fans to the New York Rangers and we are all united in the strive for success. We have patiently waited for good strategic choices to come within the organisation, but too little that is satisfactory has happened. More of the contrary. Therefore, we feel obligued to make our voice heard.

The New York Rangers have performed too mediocre results for too long. We cannot put too much blame on the players, where as much as half of the core is continously swapped out, hindering the development of team chemistry. Our constant lack of team depth is constantly forcing players to play in roles above their ability, making our beloved team one of the most untalented in NHL. This is completely unacceptable. We cannot put too much blame on the coach either, since he doesn't have that much to work with.

This franchise needs new blood, someone who knows hockey. He or she does not need to have the right title, name or know the correct people. This person needs to understand the anatomy of the game, someone with the belief that we can work harder than anyone else, because we are New Yorkers. The person must have the insight that the game is constantly changing and find advantages by studying what is happening and constantly develop the organisation in the right direction.

We challenge mr. James Dolan to better this franchise. It is simply not good enough and not a good representative of our beloved city. Our current GM, mr. Glen Sather, has made too many serious, glaring strategic errors, that has set back and hampered this franchise for years. Being accountable for capital mistakes is part of a GM's job. We simply feel he doesn't have the ability to save the ship he has himself sunk. We need a GM, who can identify the need of a long term strategy, that sets longer than the eyes on the next season. We need a GM who defines a well thought out team strategy and then find the players who are suitable, not the other way around.

We encourage other Ranger fans to continue show their dissatisfaction until proper change has been made. This is not just a team, this is our team, that is why we care.

Thank you, that is all.

Old
01-28-2010, 02:48 AM
ColonialsHockey10

I would like to comment on trades briefly. Aside from the Avery trade and RIGHT NOW the Gomez trade, Sather has not made good trades like everyone talks about. In fact, every trade us fans get all hyped about turns out to be complete crap. Tyutin for Zherdev was terrible, because it doesn't matter how good Zherdev was in his one season here, he isn't in our future and he didn't lead us to a cup. Tyutin would be our #2 dman right now.

We all gave Thrashers fans crap about the Pascal Dupuis trade, but Alex Bourret turned out to be a total bust. Dupuis eventually ended up winning a cup with Pittsburgh, and would be a 2nd liner on this pathetic excuse of a hockey team. How has Nigel Williams been this year in HFD? Disgraceful to say the least. I can go on forever about Sather trades, but these are ones in recent memory that have had our fans chirping at the opposing team saying we stole a player for nothing.

Old
01-28-2010, 02:50 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
the only other good one was the jagr deal

Old
01-28-2010, 02:53 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
the only other good one was the jagr deal
But like someone in tonight's GDT said, it was a huge gamble at the time and he got lucky with the new CBA that had Washington pay half the salary.

I also think he is bad luck (and I am not superstitious). Brashear's downfall is simply miraculous, somehow in a span of 4 months he lost all of his hockey skills. Same with a guy like Higgins, who was bad but never this awful in Montreal. The list goes on....

Old
01-28-2010, 02:59 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
even with the gamble he took on the jagr deal, he still got a hockey player here who was still playing good hockey on a bad capital team in exchange for a guy who was doing nothing here

Old
01-28-2010, 03:15 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Heres where I stand.

I think, if you remove free agency from the equation, since the lockout, Sather has been one of the better GM's in hockey. I'd even say among the best based on who he has drafted at our position, and how they have developed, the trades he has made, etc.

Unfortunately, you have to look at unrestricted free agency, and hes just been abysmal there. Seriously, we'd be so much better off if he just did nothing during that time. I'd say hes arguably the worst UFA GM in all of hockey, and possibly in all of sports. That's really saying something...It's like all the good he has done, trading for Jagr, bringing in Shanny, trading up for staal, etc etc etc has been undone by his moronic use of Dolans money during the UFA period. I almost wish we could hire someone to strictly do that end of things, and let Sather handle the rest.

Old
01-28-2010, 06:36 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
even with the gamble he took on the jagr deal, he still got a hockey player here who was still playing good hockey on a bad capital team in exchange for a guy who was doing nothing here
You know people forget he missed the boat on JJ before being shipped to Washington and instead got Lindros as his backup plan.......that worked out friggin well. Glen Sather does not win all trades! I am still not marking him a winner for that Gomez deal, I would say he lost that trade as of right now.

His drafting has not been good as others have said here. He has blown the highest first round pick this franchise has had in decades on a bust. A pick we all agreed had to become a player for us. It hasn't and thats why we are stuck with overpaid people.......if ya can't draft em you have to get them somewhere.

Old
01-28-2010, 08:24 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
There's already a Sather thread.